PDA

View Full Version : Royals Wheew...Relax Pena Jr. Fans

DeezNutz
08-14-2008, 09:00 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jeffrey_flanagan/story/747549.html

Bobblehead night for Peña will go on as planned
By JEFFREY FLANAGAN
The Kansas City Star

Peña The idea of a Tony Peña Jr. bobblehead promotion seems more than a bit odd right now considering his limited role on the team.

But the Royals have little choice but to go ahead with the promotion, which is part of “Hispanic Heritage Night” on Sept. 6.

“The decision to have a Tony bobblehead promotion was made back in February and March,” Royals vice president of sales and marketing Mark Tilson told me. “When you think about the Royals’ situation back then, Tony was coming off a very good year and was regarded around the league as one of the top defensive shortstops in baseball.

“There was really no way of anticipating that he wouldn’t be the regular starter now. And when we plan these promotions and carry them out, it’s not really performance-based. That’s not how you do them.

“The bobbleheads have to be produced and distributed well in advance, several months in advance.”

The Royals, Tilson said, aren’t the only team in baseball that sometimes is faced with awkward promotional moments.

“Well, I heard that in Detroit there are about 20,000 or 30,000 Ivan Rodriguez bobbleheads sitting around,” Tilson said. “I believe they had a promotion set up and then he got traded.

“You just can’t account for trades or poor performance or players getting cut or whatever. It’s the age-old dilemma.

“Fortunately in our situation, this promotion is centered around a recognition of Hispanic heritage. And Tony Peña Jr. is a great representative for that night.”

Favre TV

You think Brett Favre is a big deal in Wisconsin, even after he was traded?

It is being reported that a Milwaukee CBS affiliate is looking to televise at least seven Jets games this season.

T-Rich relieved

Former Chiefs fullback Tony Richardson is happy in more ways than one that Favre is now a Jet.

With Favre, 38, on the team, T-Rich is no longer the oldest Jet.

“I haven’t heard one old joke since (Favre’s) been here,” Richardson, 36, told The Bergen County Record. “That’s the first thing I told Brett when I saw him on the sidelines.

“I’m glad you’re here. Now I’m not the oldest guy around.”

BA to the booth

When former Royal Brian Anderson was here, we in the media pretty much assumed that someday he’d end up as a broadcaster. He was always very relaxed and smooth around the microphones.

Well, Anderson is now a fill-in analyst for the Tampa Bay television broadcasts.

Sure-Oz
08-14-2008, 09:02 PM
His game winning single warrants the bobblehead imo....

That may be his career best highlight on offense...

Yes it's odd and no way he could be demoted or released until after this happens

Fish
08-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Let's put all 20,000 of the damn things into the river on the Plaza and let them race like the ducks.... I would be therapeutic to see 20,000 Peña Jr. bobbleheads floating downstream.

Deberg_1990
08-14-2008, 09:05 PM
HAHAH..

They are going to have to pay fans to take those Pena Jr. Bobbleheads. ROFL

siberian khatru
08-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Take them in the back yard and use them for target practice.

Coach
08-14-2008, 09:12 PM
See? Right there is all you need to know about this franchise.

What a f**king embarrasment. :shake: If I was the owner of KC, I would demand that it would be pulled off and replaced with someone more productive, such as Grienke or Soria.

Bowser
08-14-2008, 09:32 PM
New. Blue. Tradition.

DeezNutz
08-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Given the point of the event, Soria would be a much better choice, for sure. But we can't afford to eat the $20,000 it cost to produce the 20,000 units. Glass isn't made of money. How unreasonable. It's much better to promote a player who has been (or at least was for some time) historically bad this season.

Coach
08-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Given the point of the event, Soria would be a much better choice, for sure. But we can't afford to eat the $20,000 it cost to produce the 20,000 units. Glass isn't made of money. How unreasonable. It's much better to promote a player who has been (or at least was for some time) historically bad this season.

Bleh. Glass can afford to lose $20,000 piece of shit Tony Pena Jr's to Soria's bobblehead. Rich cocksucker got enough money anyways.

Plus, he can contribute to the community by donating the Tony Pena Jr's to the needy kids in Africa who need toys. :shrug: Seems like a win win to me.

DeezNutz
08-14-2008, 09:49 PM
This will be a great night. Pena has raised his average to .160, and I feel confident that he will break the Mendoza Line on the night of the promotion. Fireworks to follow. Fever to orgasm. Splitt to pitch.

Sure-Oz
08-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Which Pena is worse in Royals history, father or son? We all remember 2003, Nosotros Cremos!!

Sure-Oz
08-14-2008, 09:50 PM
This will be a great night. Pena has raised his average to .160, and I feel confident that he will break the Mendoza Line on the night of the promotion. Fireworks to follow. Fever to orgasm. Splitt to pitch.
i wonder if they'll start him on his big night

DeezNutz
08-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Which Pena is worse in Royals history, father or son? We all remember 2003, Nosotros Cremos!!

That's a tough question to be sure. I think it all comes down to their shower performances. Dad did it fully clothed. I'm unfamiliar with Jr.'s technique.

DeezNutz
08-14-2008, 09:52 PM
i wonder if they'll start him on his big night

LMAO

That would be beautiful. 20,000 young children anxiously looking to their parents and saying, "Who the **** is this?" I hope no fire officials hear.

Sure-Oz
08-14-2008, 10:19 PM
That will be classic, you know this will become an iconic collectors item, i expect huge ebay bids!

Consistent1
08-15-2008, 06:54 AM
He is going to end up being the closer for the Royals.