PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Great Yahoo! article on Tony G, with a sad swipe at Solari.

Direckshun
08-15-2008, 10:53 AM
I bolded the Solari part.

:shake:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-thegameface081508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Gonzalez gives Chiefs steady diet of lectures
By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports
August 15, 2008

RIVER FALLS, Wis. – Tony Gonzalez heard the frantic screams – "He can't breathe! He can't breathe!" a woman sitting behind him in a Southern California restaurant was yelling last month – and whisked around to see a man turning blue. Within seconds, the Kansas City Chiefs' perennial All-Pro tight end was standing behind the stricken diner and administering the Heimlich maneuver, a lifesaving technique for which he'd never received any formal training.

As a chunk of filet mignon shot out of 45-year-old shipping company manager Ken Hunter's mouth and onto the restaurant floor, the first thought Gonzalez had was, "Thank God he's alive."

His second thought?

I'll bet that beef is full of antibiotics.

An exaggeration? If so it's only a slight stretch. Of all the NFL stars who could've saved a man from choking, he may have been the only one who'd be quite so grossed out by the food he managed to dislodge. Just ask Gonzalez's teammates, who've grown so accustomed to his neo-vegan diet and the accompanying lectures that they sometimes shy away from him during meals.

"Eating with Tony is a great way to ruin your appetite," veteran quarterback Damon Huard said last Saturday from the team's training camp. "You'll be biting into a piece of meat, and he'll say, 'You know that cow was probably corn-fed. And because of that, they had to give it antibiotics, and that probably gave it ulcers. I don't even want to think about what might be in there.' By then you're pretty much ready to clear your plate."

An hour later, as he sat in the cafeteria at the team's University of Wisconsin-River Falls headquarters, Gonzalez expanded upon the carefully crafted dietary approach that has fueled his second decade of excellence. A year-and-a-half after swearing off most dairy products and meat, the 6-foot-5, 251-pounder is laying waste to the stereotype of the scrawny, wimpy herbivore.

Coming off a stellar campaign that included 99 receptions for 1,172 yards (leaving him 179 yards behind Shannon Sharpe for the NFL's all time lead among tight ends) and earned him a ninth consecutive Pro Bowl invitation, the 32-year-old Gonzalez insists he's at his physical peak, with no sign of a decline.

"It's unbelievable how good I feel," Gonzalez said. "Seriously, my recovery is so much better than it's ever been, and my endurance is tremendous. The best part is that during games I really don't get tired. I have more focus, too. I'm even staying awake in meetings."

There were times last season when Gonzalez felt like closing his eyes during film sessions, especially during Kansas City's nine-game losing streak to complete a 4-12 campaign. Frustrated by the motion-laden yet inflexible schemes of offensive coordinator Mike Solari, Gonzalez chafed as opponents such as Packers linebacker Brady Poppinga correctly called out his routes before they were run.

"Sometimes we'd do all that shifting and defenses wouldn't move," Gonzalez recalled. "They'd just sit there and wait, and we'd run the ball into an eight-man front and get stuffed. Even when we had a mismatch, the quarterback didn't have the freedom to change the play at the line. It's dumbfounding that we didn't do that."

With Chan Gailey having replaced the fired Solari and an influx of young players that includes rookie left tackle Branden Albert, the 15th overall pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the rebuilding Chiefs have reason for optimism. If star halfback Johnson comes back strong from the foot injury that short-circuited his '07 season, wideout Dwayne Bowe builds upon the breakout flashes he showed as a rookie and third-year quarterback Brodie Croyle justifies the faith coach Herm Edwards has shown in him, Chiefs fans could at least experience some offensive excitement.

It's a given that Gonzalez, fresh off his fifth consecutive season with at least 900 receiving yards, will do his part. "He's not slowing down at all," Vikings safety Darren Sharper says of Gonzalez. "Plus he's such a crafty tight end – he knows all the little push-off moves, and how to use his body and post you up."

Another standout Vikings defender, recently acquired All-Pro defensive end Jared Allen, says his former Chiefs teammate is "one of my biggest role models in the NFL, because of his work ethic. A lot of people don't see that – they see Tony Gonzalez, superstar pretty boy, the guy who has to be dressed just right and have his hair done before he does anything. But the guy works – he's out there catching 100 balls a day; he never drops a ball in practice and never lets up. He's an absolute machine."

For Gonzalez, it all goes back to nutrition. When he decided to eliminate dairy and red meat from his largely organic diet – he still eats fish and the occasional chicken dish – Gonzalez's peers were highly skeptical.

"They'd tell me, 'You're gonna get crushed. You're gonna get your ass kicked,'" Gonzalez recalled. "They still think that, too, because I look so skinny, but I weigh what I've always weighed."

Gonzalez is currently collaborating with a nutritionist on a book detailing his dietary philosophies, though not necessarily from a vegan perspective, that will tentatively be published toward the end of '08. Gonzalez, who was so moved by scientific tome "The China Study" that he met with author T. Colin Campbell, has spoken to children about the benefits of maintaining proper nutritional habits, something on which he wants to expand in the coming years.

In the meantime he is more than willing to lecture his teammates.

"Anything I eat, he'll tell me what's in it," Croyle said. "I tell him, 'Man, I'm from Alabama. I just eat. Leave me alone.' When I hear him ask, 'Could you cook that in olive oil instead of butter?' I say, 'Dude, if you went to Alabama and said that stuff, they'd ask you to leave.'"

Said Edwards, the Chiefs' third-year coach: "Tony and (veteran linebacker Donnie Edwards), they both get on each other. They're each on diets, but different kind of diets, and they argue about which one is better. I walk by and go, 'You guys are like two women.' "

Bowe, who caught 70 passes for 995 yards as a rookie in '07, is well-acquainted with The Lecture. "At least twice a week he'll be like, 'Man, what are you eating?' " Bowe said. "I'll look down and say, 'Fried chicken? Cheese?' and then he'll stop eating his big ol' salad and give me the talk. He'll say, '1 or 13? You can eat like that and play one year or eat like this play 13.' And you know what – I listen."

Perhaps, but Gonzalez isn't close to satisfied. As he paused to inspect a piece of tortellini to ensure that no cheese was inside, the tight end noted that two nights earlier in a preseason victory over the Bears, the Chiefs had moved 81 yards in 16 plays in the game's first 8:45.

"I wasn't tired at all," Gonzalez said, "but Dwayne Bowe is out there tapping his helmet saying, 'Come get me.' And he's in his second year! I was like, 'Bowe, you're killing me.'"

Spoken like a true lifesaver.

ModSocks
08-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Tony needs to stay away from Brodie and let him eat.....

teedubya
08-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Gonzo is a true hero. Love that guy... glad he stayed in KC his whole career.

DeezNutz
08-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Umm...ok. If Gonzo says defenders were telling him what he was going to do before the play, I believe him. Seems to prove what must of us already thought: Our offensive schemes and playcalling were terrible last season.

dirk digler
08-15-2008, 11:13 AM
TonyG is awesome and I love the fact that he is staying healthy and hopefully he will have a huge year.

StcChief
08-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Tony just break the records and keep our hopes alive your good for another 2-3 years.
Help the Chiefs and go out as one.

HypnotizedMonkey
08-15-2008, 11:36 AM
He may be going a little overboard with the lectures, but at least he cares about his teammates! I hope this dude gets the Super Bowl Ring he deserves.

el borracho
08-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Favorite Chief ever. Another two or three years and he'll own all the records (except championships).

Ultra Peanut
08-15-2008, 11:48 AM
solari was p. awesome quote if you're down

CoMoChief
08-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Maybe Gonzalez can tell you how much vodka to put in a recipe. Then drink what you don't use.

Rooster
08-15-2008, 12:02 PM

LOL.. Exactly. Someone give that boy a porkchop.

BigMeatballDave
08-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Ouch. LMAO

Warrior5
08-15-2008, 12:30 PM
LOL.. Exactly. Someone give that boy a porkchop.

...and a sammich!

ottawa_chiefs_fan
08-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Folks - don't forget who oversaw this sorry mess - the head coach! This is also kick in his bag as far as I am concerned....

Chief Faithful
08-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Folks - don't forget who oversaw this sorry mess - the head coach! This is also kick in his bag as far as I am concerned....

That head coach inherited that offense, recognized it was time to change and brought in the new guys who are fixing the problem.

Just think how good TG will be now that defenses don't know what he is going to do.

Reerun_KC
08-15-2008, 01:22 PM
And yet the Head Coach just let him do it over and over and over....

Why didnt the HEAD COACH make the proper changes or suggestions to correct the very GLARING problem?

Just doesnt add up, Yes I know this is Herm's what 5th OC in his 8 year tenure as a HC. But this cant be right...

J Diddy
08-15-2008, 02:37 PM

I'm from alabama and we just eat.....

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2008, 02:43 PM
We should let him go to a team that has a chance of winning.

Fairplay
08-15-2008, 02:45 PM
In the meantime he is more than willing to lecture his teammates.

"Anything I eat, he'll tell me what's in it," Croyle said. "I tell him, 'Man, I'm from Alabama. I just eat. Leave me alone.' When I hear him ask, 'Could you cook that in olive oil instead of butter?' I say, 'Dude, if you went to Alabama and said that stuff, they'd ask you to leave.'"

Said Edwards, the Chiefs' third-year coach: "Tony and (veteran linebacker Donnie Edwards), they both get on each other. They're each on diets, but different kind of diets, and they argue about which one is better. I walk by and go, 'You guys are like two women.' "

TG is the cool. ROFL

FAX
08-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Umm...ok. If Gonzo says defenders were telling him what he was going to do before the play, I believe him. Seems to prove what must of us already thought: Our offensive schemes and playcalling were terrible last season.

Yep. It would be funny if it wasn't so devastatingly stupid and sad. No wonder we had morale problems last year. Wow.

FAX

FAX
08-15-2008, 02:58 PM

Why didnt the HEAD COACH make the proper changes or suggestions to correct the very GLARING problem?

Just doesnt add up, Yes I know this is Herm's what 5th OC in his 8 year tenure as a HC. But this cant be right...

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it?

FAX

pr_capone
08-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Another standout Vikings defender, recently acquired All-Pro defensive end Jared Allen, says his former Chiefs teammate is "one of my biggest role models in the NFL, because of his work ethic."

WTF?

vailpass
08-15-2008, 04:26 PM
"Sometimes we'd do all that shifting and defenses wouldn't move," Gonzalez recalled. "They'd just sit there and wait, and we'd run the ball into an eight-man front and get stuffed. Even when we had a mismatch, the quarterback didn't have the freedom to change the play at the line. It's dumbfounding that we didn't do that."

LMAO Props to the players for acting like pros and doing their job in spite of that embarassment. I would have been sorely tempted to walk off the field, kick the OC in the balls and refuse to play another down until they brought in a new coach.

Boris The Great
08-15-2008, 04:52 PM

What was Herm supposed to do, have Solari install a new offensive system in the middle of the season? The Saunders system was all Solari knew. The Saunders system didnt allow for the QB to go up there and change plays.

With TG saying they would shift and move and defenses would just stand there and watch, sounds like teams were starting to figure out the ol Saunders system there. Too bad it didnt happen when Saunders and Vermeil were still here, so that the people still clinging to them would let it go already.

FAX
08-15-2008, 04:59 PM
What was Herm supposed to do, have Solari install a new offensive system in the middle of the season? The Saunders system was all Solari knew. The Saunders system didnt allow for the QB to go up there and change plays.

With TG saying they would shift and move and defenses would just stand there and watch, sounds like teams were starting to figure out the ol Saunders system there. Too bad it didnt happen when Saunders and Vermeil were still here, so that the people still clinging to them would let it go already.

I don't think it was the "system" to which Gonzo was necessarily referring, Mr. Boris The Somewhat Okay. It was the fact that we were running the football into 8 and 9 man fronts all year long. All year long. Did I mention that we did that all year long?

It drove a lot of people crazy, including myself. This fostered quite a bit of discussion about the value of "execution" over "innovation" and stuff like that, but the bottom line is that you can't expect to gain yardage in the NFL by running into stacked enemy lines all year long and you can forget about first downs and TOP. On top of all that, even our ridiculous passing game was focused on the short gain. Dumpoffs to the flanker and the backs, basically. As you well know, those are, essentially, long handoffs and a stacked line can easily defend those plays as well. It was stupid and kinda nuts. I have no idea why Solari continued to do it and why Herm allowed it.

FAX

Ultra Peanut
08-15-2008, 05:04 PM
"Eating with Tony is a great way to ruin your appetite," veteran quarterback Damon Huard said last Saturday from the team's training camp. "You'll be biting into a piece of meat, and he'll say, 'You know that cow was probably corn-fed. And because of that, they had to give it antibiotics, and that probably gave it ulcers. I don't even want to think about what might be in there.' By then you're pretty much ready to clear your plate."To be fair, corn IS pretty much a ubiquitous devil nowadays.

Coach
08-15-2008, 05:31 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/SwedeCarlson/Chiefs/Chiefs%20Smack%20or%20Hate/solariisNuroffenss.png

I can see why Gonzo would swipe him.....

Chiefs Pantalones
08-15-2008, 05:35 PM
It's a shame he won't get the chance at a Super Bowl trophy here. :(

RustShack
08-15-2008, 05:40 PM
It's a shame he won't get the chance at a Super Bowl trophy here. :(

What? Is this officially his last year or something?

Chiefs Pantalones
08-15-2008, 05:42 PM
What? Is this officially his last year or something?

lol like we're going to be in contention of winning a Super Bowl anytime soon, let alone a playoff game.

Get off the drugs.

RustShack
08-15-2008, 05:44 PM
lol like we're going to be in contention of winning a Super Bowl anytime soon, let alone a playoff game.

Get off the drugs.

It doesn't take 10 years to rebuild a team.. it takes a couple... If Gonzalez is here in two more years, or even next year we will be a better team...

Chiefs Pantalones
08-15-2008, 05:47 PM
It doesn't take 10 years to rebuild a team.. it takes a couple... If Gonzalez is here in two more years, or even next year we will be a better team...

lol I think can, I think I can, I think I can.

Not until Herm and Carl are gone...then we WILL.

RustShack
08-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Has this offseason, draft, free agent aqusitions been diffrent then any in the past? Do you think the outcome could be diffrent?

RustShack
08-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Also we already the know the Defense has gotten much better, and should continue to improve. Based on Gaileys past, training camp, and our first pre season game... it looks like our offense its on its way to being respectable again. Gonzo should still be here when we are ready to compete. Heck who knows, maybe we are the suprize team of the NFL this year.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Under the leadership this team is under, I doubt to see that much improvement. But we'll see. I hope we do. All I know is that I've been saying what you just said the past 10 years.

Mecca
08-15-2008, 06:18 PM
I can't wait till after this year when we have more players bitching about the last OC.

Bwana
08-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Good for Tony, Solari is a tool.

JuicesFlowing
08-15-2008, 08:38 PM
[I]
LMAO Props to the players for acting like pros and doing their job in spite of that embarassment. I would have been sorely tempted to walk off the field, kick the OC in the balls and refuse to play another down until they brought in a new coach.

LJ was pissed, and I never blamed him, yet the media and fans crushed LJ ... Solari never got as much blame as he deserved... or maybe it's Herm's fault for allowing that sad offensive game plan, I dunno.

chagrin
08-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Solari was a goof, hell the whole coaching staff are goofs - F all those dick heads, I don't even enjoy theorizing or even imagining what our team will do this year; I feel so bad for the folks who live there and spend much more than I ever will on merchandise; I'd be on a killing spree, geesh.

Chief Faithful
08-15-2008, 08:49 PM

He inherited one of the most prolific offenses in the NFL and made the promise when he became HC that he would not change the offense as long as it continued to produce. Last year the wheels came off and at the end of the season he made real change. I'm pleased with what he has changed and how he has made the changes.

Without Herm no way Carl makes all the necessary changes.

MadMax
08-15-2008, 09:42 PM
I don't think it was the "system" to which Gonzo was necessarily referring, Mr. Boris The Somewhat Okay. It was the fact that we were running the football into 8 and 9 man fronts all year long. All year long. Did I mention that we did that all year long?

It drove a lot of people crazy, including myself. This fostered quite a bit of discussion about the value of "execution" over "innovation" and stuff like that, but the bottom line is that you can't expect to gain yardage in the NFL by running into stacked enemy lines all year long and you can forget about first downs and TOP. On top of all that, even our ridiculous passing game was focused on the short gain. Dumpoffs to the flanker and the backs, basically. As you well know, those are, essentially, long handoffs and a stacked line can easily defend those plays as well. It was stupid and kinda nuts. I have no idea why Solari continued to do it and why Herm allowed it.

FAX

That is so true I just threw up in my throat a little :( Methinks Slolarry is insane in the membrane...:eek: But i'm happy to see Herm has a plan :) Is it still in the can? Or maybe the evil Chan stole his plan and tossed it in the garbage can :D

FAX
08-15-2008, 11:48 PM
That is so true I just threw up in my throat a little :( Methinks Slolarry is insane in the membrane...:eek: But i'm happy to see Herm has a plan :) Is it still in the can? Or maybe the evil Chan stole his plan amd tossed it in the garbage can :D

Don't mean no offense. Don't want to incense. And in your defense, your post is condense and in present tense. Still, maybe I'm dense, but let me dispense with any pretense and end the suspense 'cause when I commence to read your two cents, I found it intense and it made me incensed and a little more tense 'cause it makes no sense.

FAX

Mr. Flopnuts
08-15-2008, 11:53 PM
That is so true I just threw up in my throat a little :( Methinks Slolarry is insane in the membrane...:eek: But i'm happy to see Herm has a plan :) Is it still in the can? Or maybe the evil Chan stole his plan amd tossed it in the garbage can :D

Word up homie. I hope things are going as well as possible for you right now. I miss you and Eric both. I hope to eat some of that awesome bbq of yours again one of these days.

Rausch
08-16-2008, 12:10 AM
That is so true I just threw up in my throat a little :( Methinks Slolarry is insane in the membrane...:eek: But i'm happy to see Herm has a plan :) Is it still in the can? Or maybe the evil Chan stole his plan and tossed it in the garbage can :D

:spock:

http://www.earthfrisk.com/uploads_group/1000/88/282.jpg

BigRock
08-16-2008, 12:15 AM

It kinda goes hand in hand, though, doesn't it? If they call a run play and the offense lines up and sees 8 men in the box, and they can't change a play they know is doomed to fail, then it's just as much on the system that doesn't allow change as it is on the playcalling.

Solari just took poor playcalling to extremes by going "Hmm, they've put 8 men in the box on 50 straight plays. We'll call a run! They'll never expect it!".

Chiefs Pantalones
08-16-2008, 12:31 AM

WTF tommykat is that you?

ChiefsCountry
08-16-2008, 01:28 AM
I wonder if Solari's hot daughter will call out Tony G like she did us last year?

chiefsngop
08-16-2008, 09:40 AM
I wonder if Solari's hot daughter will call out Tony G like she did us last year?

I didn't catch this last year, sounds rich though. Links ? Explanations?

Solari blows, I've wondered how he would've looked as an O-line coach without "the dream team" lined up there all those years. ???