PDA

View Full Version : Misc Smokers, a couple of questions

Logical
08-15-2008, 09:53 PM
1 What brand do you smoke

2 What led you to that brand

3 As prices inevitably go up would you go Generic or Quit first?

Braincase
08-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Don't know about the currents, but as a former smoker, I loved Camel Lights. Thought Marlboro Lights tasted too dry, Reds were to strong, but CL's always tasted fresher and didn't suck all of moisture out of my mouth.

But I'm done....

RibKing67
08-15-2008, 10:29 PM
I smoke Winson Lights
They are naturally smooth and I like the taste over Camel and Marlboro.
I have smoked the generic brands and I dunno I doubt I could just quit so Yea I would smoke them if I had to I guess.

RedandGold
08-16-2008, 06:32 AM
I don't smoke hardly at all anymore (usually, with a drink while grilling), so I am more for quality than cost now. A single pack of Nat Shermans will last me close to two months.

Why Nat Sherman? American brand, high quality tobacco, and smoother/longer-burning than anything that you can grab at a convenience store.

I am at the point where it's strictly for enjoyment, so like a good cigar, I'm not going to be overly-sensitive to price escalation.

rad
08-16-2008, 06:48 AM
I roll my own. In NY, cigs are over 6 bucks a pack. Rolling my own, they're a little over a dollar a pack. They taste good,too.

Priest31kc
08-16-2008, 07:06 AM
1.The main brand ive smoked is Marlboro 27's.
2.Buy one get one's led me to that brand, they always had them, and so I got stuck on those.
3.NOW i get the cheapies, Gold Coast, Liggetts, L&Gs, I only get Marlboros if its buy one get one free.

tyton75
08-16-2008, 07:29 AM
I smoke Camel Lights cause thats what a girlfriend way back used to smoke..

I would probably quit before buying generic.. they aren't good

ElGringo
08-16-2008, 07:50 AM
I smoke Marlboro Reds, about the only brand name I recognize here in Mexico. As for price raises, it would have to go up quite a bit, right now it is still less than 2.50 a pack to smoke down here.

gblowfish
08-16-2008, 08:33 AM
I quit on my 30th BD cold turkey.
Smoked 1/2 pack a day from the time I was 17 till I was 30.
Smoked Winston Lights.
Glad I quit.

bango
08-16-2008, 09:58 AM
I am smoking Pall Mall Menthol Lights at this tme. I smoked Camel Lights for the longest time. I have to go over across the State Line to Idaho to buy smokes because they are so much cheaper. The generics are about the same price over there. I picked Pall Mall because they are the least expensive right now. I was smoking Camel Menthol Lights until I switched a few months ago.

Skip Towne
08-16-2008, 10:52 AM
I am smoking Pall Mall Menthol Lights at this tme. I smoked Camel Lights for the longest time. I have to go over across the State Line to Idaho to buy smokes because they are so much cheaper. The generics are about the same price over there. I picked Pall Mall because they are the least expensive right now. I was smoking Camel Menthol Lights until I switched a few months ago.

How much is a carton of what you are smoking now? We have Indian Smoke Shops here in Oklahoma and they are cheap compared to the grocery stores.

Boon
08-16-2008, 11:06 AM
My smoking history:

Marlboro Red---->Marlboro Light--->Doral Ultra Light--->Quit two years ago.

Wish I had all that money I spent.....

smittysbar
08-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Marlboro Lights.

Bugeater
08-16-2008, 11:21 AM
1) Marlboro mediums or Camel lights

2) Haven't found any other brand that I particularly care for

3) I'd quit before I'll smoke generics. The way I see it is if I'm going to kill myself with this habit, I'll spend the extra buck or so a pack and at least enjoy doing it.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Good questions. I smoke Marlboro Reds in a box. That's the only brand I've ever smoked. I buy them from the Indians since I live in the state that has the highest gas tax, AND the highest cigarette tax in the nation. Yes, I would quit before changing brands. I feel the same way about beer. If I can't smoke or drink whatever I want, then what's the point? If it's not truly enjoyable, then why kill myself financially, and literally to do it?

blueballs
08-16-2008, 12:25 PM
I don't smoke hardly at all anymore (usually, with a drink while grilling), so I am more for quality than cost now. A single pack of Nat Shermans will last me close to two months.

Why Nat Sherman? American brand, high quality tobacco, and smoother/longer-burning than anything that you can grab at a convenience store.

I am at the point where it's strictly for enjoyment, so like a good cigar, I'm not going to be overly-sensitive to price escalation.

How do you keep them fresh -zipploc bag in the freezer
a pack would last me about 6 months
use to buy a pack smoke 3-4 then throw them out -not anymore $$

Crashride
08-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Just quit a month ago and doing well, but up until then, Camel menthol/Camel Menthol No.9 if i wanted something lighter. I need my menthol if I smoke.

bango
08-16-2008, 01:35 PM
How much is a carton of what you are smoking now? We have Indian Smoke Shops here in Oklahoma and they are cheap compared to the grocery stores.

It is 27.55 including tax. If I remember correctly it is 25 and some change without. I went to the reservation one day and it was about the same. There is another reservation and it is Idaho also about an hour away from me. I hear that it is less expensive there, but the drive would take care of what I save.

Skip Towne
08-16-2008, 02:01 PM
It is 27.55 including tax. If I remember correctly it is 25 and some change without. I went to the reservation one day and it was about the same. There is another reservation and it is Idaho also about an hour away from me. I hear that it is less expensive there, but the drive would take care of what I save.

I smoke a generic brand named Grand. $18 per carton.

rad
08-16-2008, 02:17 PM
I smoke a generic brand named Grand. $18 per carton.

I bet they taste like ass

RedandGold
08-16-2008, 02:32 PM
How do you keep them fresh -zipploc bag in the freezer
a pack would last me about 6 months
use to buy a pack smoke 3-4 then throw them out -not anymore $$

Trust me. A 2-month old Nat Sherman Classic is still better than a brand new Marlboro/Camel/Winston/etc.

Skip Towne
08-16-2008, 02:34 PM
I bet they taste like ass

All cigarettes taste like ass.

rad
08-16-2008, 02:57 PM

That is false.

chiefs1111
08-16-2008, 03:02 PM
I used to smoke Marlboro Reds and then about 5 years ago went to Marlboro Lights. I don't really remember why though. However as of last Saturday I decided to quit. The first couple of days were rough but it's been getting better.

Fish
08-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Used to smoke Camel Turkish Gold.

Tried several brands/blends before finding Turkish Gold. Stuck with that.

I'd quit as opposed to smoking generics.... blehh...

bango
08-16-2008, 04:15 PM

They barely have any taste at all. I quit in 2007 for about six months. I went out and bought a pack of Camel Lights. That first cigarette was so good. The taste and the feeling. It was so good that I almost fell down. A few packs and a few weeks later after I had started back up again on a regular basis I could no longer taste them at all. I switched to menthols for the first time so that at least there was a taste to it.

Logical
08-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Don't know about the currents, but as a former smoker, I loved Camel Lights. Thought Marlboro Lights tasted too dry, Reds were to strong, but CL's always tasted fresher and didn't suck all of moisture out of my mouth.

But I'm done....
Thanks for the first response, oh and congratulations

Logical
08-16-2008, 04:38 PM
I quit on my 30th BD cold turkey.
Smoked 1/2 pack a day from the time I was 17 till I was 30.
Smoked Winston Lights.
Glad I quit.Congrats to you as well

Logical
08-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Trust me. A 2-month old Nat Sherman Classic is still better than a brand new Marlboro/Camel/Winston/etc.I am not familiar with that brand, is it more one of those very thin cigars?

RedandGold
08-16-2008, 05:21 PM
I am not familiar with that brand, is it more one of those very thin cigars?

Here's a link to the cigarette portion of their website: (http://www.natsherman.com/cigarettehome.cfm?CFID=1144305&CFTOKEN=bade3d2e12b08d5f-CDC74402-19B9-F18B-2249BDECF0AD616A)

Aside from cigars, they have several varieties of cigarettes, and their MCD's are actually made with cigar-grade tobacco.

Locally, you can only buy them at a tobacconist, but I don't know what kind of dealer network they have nationally.

In terms of cost, a pack runs close to $6, but it's well worth it if you enjoy a good smoke.

Logical
08-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Here's a link to the cigarette portion of their website: (http://www.natsherman.com/cigarettehome.cfm?CFID=1144305&CFTOKEN=bade3d2e12b08d5f-CDC74402-19B9-F18B-2249BDECF0AD616A)

Aside from cigars, they have several varieties of cigarettes, and their MCD's are actually made with cigar-grade tobacco.

Locally, you can only buy them at a tobacconist, but I don't know what kind of dealer network they have nationally.

In terms of cost, a pack runs close to $6, but it's well worth it if you enjoy a good smoke.

Thanks for the answer, I don't smoke I was just curious and wondering if the macho image projected by the Marlboro ads worked well. It appears to for the most part.