PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs rookie corners should get a test against Cardinals receivers

Tribal Warfare
08-16-2008, 01:16 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/751116.html

Chiefs rookie corners should get a test against Cardinals receivers
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

* Five things to watch with Chiefs
* Construction creates changes at Arrowhead

Like most of his teammates at Grand Valley State, a Division II school in Michigan, Brandon Carr would sit in front of his television on fall Sundays and dream about competing against the NFL players on the screen.

The difference is that for Carr, a rookie Chiefs cornerback, the dream is coming true. It won’t get much more vivid than in tonight’s exhibition game against the Cardinals at Arrowhead Stadium.

Arizona features one of the NFL’s top wide-receiving tandems in Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin. The two will give Carr and another Chiefs rookie cornerback, Brandon Flowers, the best test of their young NFL careers.

“This is what you play for,” Carr said. “I’m a competitor, so you want to compete against the best, and those guys are some pretty talented receivers. It’s going to be a lot of fun out there. I admit that it’s hard to believe I’m playing against guys I grew up idolizing. I’m out there checking them.

“I used to watch these guys on TV, and I always wondered what it would be like to line up against that person. Pretty soon, I’m going to know.”

Fitzgerald and Boldin may only get a series or two. Boldin returned to practice only this week after missing some training camp time because of a sore hamstring.

No matter how much they play, the Chiefs will savor every snap. The mere mention of Fitzgerald and Boldin going against the rookie cornerbacks brought a smile this week to the face of Chiefs coach Herm Edwards.

“It’ll be a good test for them,” Edwards said. “Pretty soon they’ll be playing against Randy Moss and some other good receivers. Every week it will be somebody good. So let’s see how they react.

“The thing I like about them is these guys hit. All of our guys in the secondary hit people, but our corners tackle well. That’s important for us. We’ve got to have corners that can tackle.”

The Chiefs’ youth movement is vast but perhaps at its boldest in the secondary. Flowers and Carr are playing, and a third rookie, DaJuan Morgan, is pushing for time.

Flowers, a second-round draft pick, was one of the stars at training camp. He was immediately installed as a starter and not only held on to the job through camp but strengthened his grip.

“They’ve put a lot on his plate because he plays corner and he plays nickel, but he’s picked it up,” safety Jarrad Page said. “Physically, he’s got all the tools.”

Flowers is only 5 feet 9 and 187 pounds, but plays as if he’s bigger. He had some memorable battles with the much larger Dwayne Bowe at camp and won his share.

Carr isn’t as advanced as Flowers but is the third cornerback and could eventually replace Patrick Surtain as a starter sometime this season. He already takes some of the veteran Surtain’s snaps in part to save wear and tear on Surtain’s body but also to speed Carr’s developmental process.

“I’ve seen some improvement,” Carr said.

The Chiefs have much riding on Carr and Flowers not only fighting their way through but flourishing. Moss, Wes Welker and the Patriots await in just three weeks.

“I’m trying not to look too far ahead, but that’s hard because it’s Randy Moss,” Carr said. “I’ve got to focus on the Cardinals because those receivers are pretty good players, too.”

Cardinals at Chiefs
•WHEN/WHERE: 7 tonight at Arrowhead Stadium

•TV/RADIO: Chs. 5, 13, KCFX (101.1 FM)

Mecca
08-16-2008, 01:21 AM
It's the battle of the QB's taken in the same draft.

Hammock Parties
08-16-2008, 01:33 AM
Leinart's so awesome he's not even gonna start.

HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES, MECCA?

CROYLE > LEINART

Mecca
08-16-2008, 01:33 AM
Leinart's so awesome he's not even gonna start.

HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES, MECCA?

CROYLE > LEINART

LOL.....Leinart was very good last week against the Saints...

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-16-2008, 01:58 AM

He's like the Jamie Noble of CP.

Direckshun
08-16-2008, 02:51 AM
The Cards were running an actual offense against a vanilla defense full of veteran guys who didn't care.

C'mon Mecca, why the double standard?

kcxiv
08-16-2008, 03:03 AM
For some reason i just laughed when Herm said they are going to be playing against Randy Moss. lol Damn that game is going to be ugly.

CupidStunt
08-16-2008, 03:05 AM
Because he's a tool.

Can't wait to see Flowers jack someone the f**k up.

Mecca
08-16-2008, 03:38 AM
The Cards were running an actual offense against a vanilla defense full of veteran guys who didn't care.

C'mon Mecca, why the double standard?

I don't really have one, they're both in a situation where they need to play well. I personally like Matt Leinart so I hope he does well that at the same time doesn't mean I hate Croyle or hope he sucks I'm just honest about what the odds of him being the guy are.

CupidStunt
08-16-2008, 03:48 AM
Of course it's a double-standard. Leinart has sucked wang his entire NFL career, and he's got as much to prove as Croyle.

Don't kid yourself about honesty. I'll give you honesty.

Mecca
08-16-2008, 03:49 AM
Croyle has a better arm yet is much more injury prone..Leinart was a better college player and a much higher pick...what's not honest about that?

KCJohnny
08-16-2008, 06:33 AM
I expect Carr and Flowers to get torched early and often. Not that I am hoping for that - I'd love to see them make some great plays.

The article doesn't mention 2 time MVP Kurt Warner. That's a steep hill to climb for any CBs, let alone rookies.
Didn't AZ burn us on a deep ball last year in the reg season?

tmax63
08-16-2008, 07:08 AM
I hope they get beat a couple times, it'll keep the fire burning and teach them something else before the actual season starts. That's why I liked the Chicago game. It showed some weaknesses that gave them something to specifically to work on instead of a generic "we just got to get better" approach. Tonight will show if they learned anything the last 10 days.

CoMoChief
08-16-2008, 08:02 AM
I expect Carr and Flowers to get torched early and often. Not that I am hoping for that - I'd love to see them make some great plays.

The article doesn't mention 2 time MVP Kurt Warner. That's a steep hill to climb for any CBs, let alone rookies.
Didn't AZ burn us on a deep ball last year in the reg season?

Kurt Warner doesn't scare anyone anymore, the guy holds on to the football longer than any other QB in the NFL.

OnTheWarpath15
08-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Kurt Warner doesn't scare anyone anymore, the guy holds on to the football longer than any other QB in the NFL.

With the lack of pressure from our DL, he'll be allowed to hold it even longer tonight, I'd guess.

KCJohnny
08-16-2008, 09:29 AM

Really? His 2007 stats:

<TABLE class=data-table1 id=result style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=odd><TD class=tbdy>TD: 27</TD><TD class=ra>INT </TD><TD class=tbdy>17</TD><TD class=ra>YDS </TD><TD class=tbdy>3,417</TD><TD class=ra>RTG </TD><TD class=tbdy>89.8
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I'd LOVE for Croyle to have that stat line in only 11 starts.

milkman
08-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Really? His 2007 stats:

<TABLE class=data-table1 id=result style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=odd><TD class=tbdy>TD: 27</TD><TD class=ra>INT </TD><TD class=tbdy>17</TD><TD class=ra>YDS </TD><TD class=tbdy>3,417</TD><TD class=ra>RTG </TD><TD class=tbdy>89.8
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I'd LOVE for Croyle to have that stat line in only 11 starts.

How many times was he sacked?

CosmicPal
08-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Chiefs rookie corners should get a test against Cardinals receivers

You don't say? I think this statement belongs in the "Duh!" category.

KCJohnny
08-16-2008, 09:41 AM
How many times was he sacked?

AZ QBs were sacked just 24 times in '07 (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2007&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=PASSING_NET_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1)and boasted the NFL's #5 overall passing attack.

Next?

milkman
08-16-2008, 09:47 AM
AZ QBs were sacked just 24 times in '07 (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2007&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=PASSING_NET_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1)and boasted the NFL's #5 overall passing attack.

Next?

Apparently the Cards O-Line was providing good protection, but you don't get that kind of low number if you hold the ball for too long.

ZootedGranny
08-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Hopefully Carr & Morgan look a lot better than they did against the Bears.

milkman
08-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Hopefully Carr & Morgan look a lot better than they did against the Bears.

I don't think either looked really bad, and in Carr's case I think he was hurt by the vanilla scheme, which had the corners off the line.