PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Best place to ski....

08-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Early in the season.

Looking at a early ski trip instead of spring this year. What resorts have good and affordable skiing in the first week of December?

Colorado of course. No further than Keystone.

CoMoChief
08-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Early in the season.

Looking at a early ski trip instead of spring this year. What resorts have good and affordable skiing in the first week of December?

depends.......

If you're taking a family. Keystone/Breck/ or Winter Park in Colorado are good.

If you're more experienced at skiing I would strongly suggest A-Basin in Colorado.

I think there is actually a pkg where you can go to
all 3, A-Basin/Keystone/Breckenridge

08-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Yeah, we are looking at keystone right now. Lift tickets are ridiculous heh.

I would like to do Loveland but can't find any nearby condos at all. They all seem to be 30+ miles away.

CosmicPal
08-16-2008, 03:00 PM
depends.......

If you're taking a family. Keystone/Breck/ or Winter Park in Colorado are good.

If you're more experienced at skiing I would strongly suggest A-Basin in Colorado.

I think there is actually a pkg where you can go to
all 3, A-Basin/Keystone/Breckenridge

Pretty much what he said, if you're planning on Colorado.

Particularly, if you have family. You not only have Keystone and Breck, but also Copper Mountain close by, and Vail is just a short drive away as well.

As a kid living in KC, we used to stay in the Summit area so we could enjoy all of the above.

NUMBER7
08-16-2008, 05:07 PM
I really like Beaver Creek. Great mountains and restaurants...Blue Moose Pizza!!!

Cntrygal
08-16-2008, 05:40 PM
I had the Keystone/A-basin/Breck 2 day pass last season... I didn't manage to make it to Breck - but the other two were great. I'd like to go again this season now that my ankle has been repaired.

I'm planning on going to Big Sky (Montana) the 13th -14th of December. The snow can be hit or miss but the lift tix are free and the entire weekend usually costs me less than $150 (including lodging, food, booze, and my share of gas cost).

Cntrygal
08-16-2008, 05:46 PM
I just looked.... most of my pics must be on my laptop. 'Cause I don't have any from the last few trips I took loaded onto the pc.

CanadaKC
08-16-2008, 05:47 PM
whistler ..here in BC super awesome...

Hog Rider
08-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Though I love and learned at Beaver Creek back in '82 (is Beaver Liquors still there?) WinterPark has been a stop for us at Easter time the last couple years. We stayed on site at the Zephyr Mountain Lodge. All the Colorado resorts I think would be fine, just be sure the mountain terrain matches the family skills.

Cntrygal
08-16-2008, 05:55 PM

One of my co-workers went last season.... he's still raving about it!

Molitoth
08-16-2008, 05:57 PM
I prefer Keystone / Vale / Copper / A-Basin

Breckenridge/ Winter Park are always crowded with the noob school/church groups.

DeezNutz
08-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Front seat of a truck. At least that's what I told the girls in high school.

Cards Fan 4 Chiefs
08-16-2008, 06:25 PM

Agreed!!!

It's dirt cheap for lodging and lift tickets. They stiff you on the food and drinks though in the village. If you can, bring an ice chest full of goodies from a supermarket down in Vancouver or Lions Bay.

Rain Man
08-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Apparently the ski slopes are really steep, but if you want a nice place to go, go to Telluride. I was there on business a few weeks ago, and it has to be one of the most gorgeous places on the planet. Don't question it; just go.

On a similar note, flying into the Telluride airport during a heavy rainstorm is not a lot of fun. Small plane, high winds, and flying below the level of the mountains to an airport on a cliff is not a good combination.

KC Jones
08-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Apparently the ski slopes are really steep, but if you want a nice place to go, go to Telluride. I was there on business a few weeks ago, and it has to be one of the most gorgeous places on the planet. Don't question it; just go.

On a similar note, flying into the Telluride airport during a heavy rainstorm is not a lot of fun. Small plane, high winds, and flying below the level of the mountains to an airport on a cliff is not a good combination.

hmm... small plane + telluride....

so that's the kind of research you guys do. :)

As for the OP - I'll echo what was said regarding A-Basin / Winter Park. I don't care for Breck much as the two mountains tend to funnel everyone together. If you've got the bling you should just stay in Aspen and have a helicopter just drop you on different summits to ski down. LJ would.

dtebbe
08-17-2008, 12:01 AM
Get a Transfour card:
http://www.passwagon.com/transfour.htm

Lets you ski Winter Park/Mary Jane and Copper for 4 days $199. The catch is you have to buy the cards before the season starts.

We love Winter Park / Mary Jane. We usually go in late Feb during the week, and the place is like a ghost town, especially Mary Jane.

Also, you can buy tickets for other friends/family members at nearly half price when you show your Transfour card at the ticket window. I usually buy one Transfour card, and then just use the discount for my wife and son each day, in case they decide they don't want to ski one day (we usually only ski 4 days).

For lodging, we go to http://www.vrbo.com and get a condo at Zephyr Mtn Lodge, well worth the extra $$ just to be able to rest and lunch at the condo and ski right out to the lift in the AM.

DT

Mr. Flopnuts
08-17-2008, 12:06 AM

2nded.

Mojo Rising
08-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Mary Jane is a great Mountain. Not must night life.

I have never been to BC but I can not see how their snow is not as heavy as ours (Tahoe)

Stick with the Rockies. Salt water = heavier snow.

Miles
08-17-2008, 02:03 AM
I'm planning on going to Big Sky (Montana) the 13th -14th of December. The snow can be hit or miss but the lift tix are free and the entire weekend usually costs me less than $150 (including lodging, food, booze, and my share of gas cost).

Big Sky is a great mountain. Also really enjoy the new "sister ski area" on the other side of the peak, Moonlight Basin.

Miles
08-17-2008, 02:09 AM
Yeah, we are looking at keystone right now. Lift tickets are ridiculous heh.

I would like to do Loveland but can't find any nearby condos at all. They all seem to be 30+ miles away.

Dillon is pretty close and has hotels and lodging to hit Keystone, Loveland, Breck or even Vail. What type of place are you looking for terrain wise?

Cntrygal
08-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Big Sky is a great mountain. Also really enjoy the new "sister ski area" on the other side of the peak, Moonlight Basin.

This will be my 5th trip there (a group from work goes every December for the military appreciation weekend).

vailpass
08-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Vail.

08-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Dillon is pretty close and has hotels and lodging to hit Keystone, Loveland, Breck or even Vail. What type of place are you looking for terrain wise?
I am a green skier. My turns suck and blues wear me down too fast.

I am very familiar with Keystone as we have gone three years in a row. Wouldn't mind trying Winter but I always worry about that mountain pass on the way there because you never know when a snowstorm will come and keep you from getting there. At least on I70 there is always hope.

Cards Fan 4 Chiefs
08-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Vail.

Vail can only be enjoyed to the fullest by those who make six figures.

08-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Get a Transfour card:
http://www.passwagon.com/transfour.htm

Lets you ski Winter Park/Mary Jane and Copper for 4 days $199. The catch is you have to buy the cards before the season starts.

We love Winter Park / Mary Jane. We usually go in late Feb during the week, and the place is like a ghost town, especially Mary Jane.

Also, you can buy tickets for other friends/family members at nearly half price when you show your Transfour card at the ticket window. I usually buy one Transfour card, and then just use the discount for my wife and son each day, in case they decide they don't want to ski one day (we usually only ski 4 days).

For lodging, we go to http://www.vrbo.com and get a condo at Zephyr Mtn Lodge, well worth the extra $$ just to be able to rest and lunch at the condo and ski right out to the lift in the AM.

DT

Interesting. We are only skiing for 3 days but that is cheaper than a 3 day pass at Keystone. How much are the kid passes? Daily rates after discounts?

I only use VRBO. Found a great place in Keystone last year.

08-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Anybody know anything about SolVista? Found a killer deal on a condo there. Still concerned about the mountain pass on the way though.

Miles
08-17-2008, 01:55 PM

I would suggest sticking with the larger mountains which will have more of what you are looking for. Loveland is a good time but it is a majority of intermediate and advanced terrain which are not groomed. Same thing with A-Basin.

I have never skied Solvista but it is small and I believe has a short season since it doesn't get as much snow as the others. The great deal could be from the uncertainty of whether the mountain will even be open in early December.

It sounds like Keystone, Breck or Winter Park may be your best options. Of those, Breck has about the best base area town for restaurants and other things to do. A large portion of the mountain is also not very steep but can get very crowded at times.

Miles
08-17-2008, 01:57 PM
I am very familiar with Keystone as we have gone three years in a row. Wouldn't mind trying Winter but I always worry about that mountain pass on the way there because you never know when a snowstorm will come and keep you from getting there. At least on I70 there is always hope.

I haven't been stranded up there yet but it seems that whenever something that would close the pass to Winter Park would come through, there would also be a good chance of 70 being closed.

08-17-2008, 02:05 PM
I would suggest sticking with the larger mountains which will have more of what you are looking for. Loveland is a good time but it is a majority of intermediate and advanced terrain which are not groomed. Same thing with A-Basin.

I have never skied Solvista but it is small and I believe has a short season since it doesn't get as much snow as the others. The great deal could be from the uncertainty of whether the mountain will even be open in early December.

It sounds like Keystone, Breck or Winter Park may be your best options. Of those, Breck has about the best base area town for restaurants and other things to do. A large portion of the mountain is also not very steep but can get very crowded at times.

Solvista is only 15 miles from Winter. Would the snow be that much different?

Rain Man
08-17-2008, 02:12 PM

I think you mean by those whose servants make six figures.

vailpass
08-17-2008, 02:16 PM

Not true. I skiied vail frequently when I was a grad student, wasn't exactly rich back then.
Aspen is where the $$ plays.

vailpass
08-17-2008, 02:18 PM

Winter Park is an outstanding choice for blue skiiers. Lots of easy, long runs that are relaxing and fun.

Miles
08-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Solvista is only 15 miles from Winter. Would the snow be that much different?

Its lower in elevation (Base area if Winter Park is about as high as the top of SolVista) and some areas just get hit harder than others. When looking around, I found the opening date of December 19 for last season.

08-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Its lower in elevation (Base area if Winter Park is about as high as the top of SolVista) and some areas just get hit harder than others. When looking around, I found the opening date of December 19 for last season.
Yeah, I just found that calendar as well. Probably better as I don't really want to deal with a mountain pass in December anyway. Guess I might look into Breck since I have never skied there. Hope I can find as good a deal on a condo as I did in Keystone. One of the things I like about Key is the bus routes so I don't have to drive to the slopes. Does Breck have that?

Miles
08-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I just found that calendar as well. Probably better as I don't really want to deal with a mountain pass in December anyway. Guess I might look into Breck since I have never skied there. Hope I can find as good a deal on a condo as I did in Keystone. One of the things I like about Key is the bus routes so I don't have to drive to the slopes. Does Breck have that?

Yeah the bus runs all over town. Here is a map:

http://breckenridge.snow.com/BreckBase/images/map.bus.gif

kstater
08-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Anybody know anything about SolVista? Found a killer deal on a condo there. Still concerned about the mountain pass on the way though.

Don't go to SolVista. Went there one year. Small park, little snow, and what snow they had was all ice. Had a couple of runs where there was bare dirt in spots from the melted snow.

08-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Are there any daycare/babysitting options in Key or Breck? I am finding my wife to be stubborn in that she wants to ski 3 full days and we will only have 3 days available to ski. If I am to ski one day I have to figure something out for our will be 8 month old.

EDIT

Found some. Not cheap at up to $98 for one day. Guess it might be better if I just let the wife have her fun and I control the evenings.

joesomebody
08-18-2008, 08:26 AM
You really need to check out Utah. Park City is amazing but pricey. Powder Mountain is extremely reasonable and huge. Then there is Snowbasin which is in the middle price wise and offers really great slopes. Nice thing about these three resorts is how close they are together. Can hit up all 3 in a week easily.

Reerun_KC
08-18-2008, 08:52 AM

I would love to fly into Telluride.. That place along with Ouray are just breath taking...

Reerun_KC
08-18-2008, 08:53 AM
You really need to check out Utah. Park City is amazing but pricey. Powder Mountain is extremely reasonable and huge. Then there is Snowbasin which is in the middle price wise and offers really great slopes. Nice thing about these three resorts is how close they are together. Can hit up all 3 in a week easily.

Park City is really pretty and has some nice slopes... we just flew some people into SLC and visited Park City not to long ago.

Que Card QB
08-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Early in the season.

Colorado of course. No further than Keystone.Copper is a little cheaper than Keystone/Breck/Vail and you can buy a 3, 4 or 5 pack of tickets early for about $50 a day. We stayed in a two bedroom/two bath, $130 per night condo in Dillon last year and skied Copper. Just about as affordable as you can get without going to one of the smaller resorts I'd say.

Hoover
08-18-2008, 09:45 AM
I'll second Whistler. Its incredible, I try and go every year.

Its also where the 2010 winter Olympics will be.

08-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Just found the Keystone A basin 4 pack for $150. Only catch is you have to go in to their stores in person to purchase them and nobody can do it for you.

So much for that little nugget.

CSR - People fly in all the time to purchase that package every year.
Me - Some of us are not made of money. If I am going to fly to Colorado just to pick up ski tickets I darn well expect to be skiing.

The ticket sale ends before the ski season starts.

Hoover
08-18-2008, 10:16 AM
God this thread got me in the mood to ski.

So i just booked a 4 night package in Whistler, 4 Nights at Chateau Whistler, 2 three day lift tickets, for $1200, and 2 round trip flights to Vancouver for $1000.00

Granted I did the early bird deal leaving after Thanksgiving, but damn that a pretty sweet little vacation for $2200 bucks.

Que Card QB
08-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Just found the Keystone A basin 4 pack for $150. Only catch is you have to go in to their stores in person to purchase them and nobody can do it for you.

So much for that little nugget.

CSR - People fly in all the time to purchase that package every year.
Me - Some of us are not made of money. If I am going to fly to Colorado just to pick up ski tickets I darn well expect to be skiing.

The ticket sale ends before the ski season starts.You can buy "multi-day packs" online without traveling to Colorado at Copper, but I just checked and they're not on sale right now. http://www.coppercolorado.com/tickets/index.htm

08-18-2008, 01:01 PM
You can buy "multi-day packs" online without traveling to Colorado at Copper, but I just checked and they're not on sale right now. http://www.coppercolorado.com/tickets/index.htm
Yeah, I called Copper today and they have a package put together for me.

4 nights
1 adult 4 day lift ticket
unlimited children 4 day lift tickets If we needed them heh
2 BR 2BA condo sleeps 6 and only 1 minute walk to the lifts.
$1007

skiing 3.5 days

Miles
08-20-2008, 06:55 AM

Same here. Also received an email from vail resorts that Breck got a little snow last weekend.

Miles
08-20-2008, 06:58 AM
Are there any daycare/babysitting options in Key or Breck? I am finding my wife to be stubborn in that she wants to ski 3 full days and we will only have 3 days available to ski. If I am to ski one day I have to figure something out for our will be 8 month old.

EDIT

Found some. Not cheap at up to $98 for one day. Guess it might be better if I just let the wife have her fun and I control the evenings.

This might help you pick out a mountain. Whats your wifes preference for terrain?

dtebbe
08-20-2008, 09:48 AM

We learned at Sol Vista and skiied there the year before last. It's a great place to learn, have a great program for the kids, but it's REALLY small. If you are a solid intermediate you will be bored there in 1 day.

If you know how to ski winter park is a great deal. We skiied there for 3 days last year and still didn't make it to all the runs we wanted to try. And Mary Jane is just a blast when you are ready for a walk on the wilder side. Lots of ungroomed stuff, and my favorite - gladed terrain.

There are plenty of long green runs there too, and I really like how they have some blue runs that have small moguls on 1/2 the run, great for learning the bumps.

DT

dtebbe
08-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Interesting. We are only skiing for 3 days but that is cheaper than a 3 day pass at Keystone. How much are the kid passes? Daily rates after discounts?

I only use VRBO. Found a great place in Keystone last year.

We paid $29 per day for my 8 year old son with the discount that the card gives you. I think the adult discount rate was $42. I just had one card and bought the daily discount tickets for my son and wife. Sweet deal.

If it's later in the season you can buy those cards off Ebay for about half price. Hell even getting one that has one day on it is a deal, because then you can just use it to get the 50% discount on walk-up tickets.

Here are a couple shots from our Winterpark trip this year:

http://home.earthlink.net/~dtebbe/pix/winterpark1.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~dtebbe/pix/winterpark2.jpg

DT

Miles
08-22-2008, 05:17 AM
Yeah, I called Copper today and they have a package put together for me.

4 nights
1 adult 4 day lift ticket
unlimited children 4 day lift tickets If we needed them heh
2 BR 2BA condo sleeps 6 and only 1 minute walk to the lifts.
$1007

skiing 3.5 days

Have you picked a mountain yet? Do you have any kids beyond your recently born that will obviously not ski?

NewChief
08-22-2008, 05:27 AM

So i just booked a 4 night package in Whistler, 4 Nights at Chateau Whistler, 2 three day lift tickets, for $1200, and 2 round trip flights to Vancouver for $1000.00

Granted I did the early bird deal leaving after Thanksgiving, but damn that a pretty sweet little vacation for $2200 bucks.

Whistler/BC is an amazing mountain. One of my favorites.

NewChief
08-22-2008, 05:30 AM
Sol Vista: I'll echo what someone else said in that it's very small. That being said, we almost always stayed at the resort there then drove to Winter Park to ski because we always bought WP season passes. It's only about a 15-20 minute drive, and there's very little traffic as it's north of WP.

Edit: I should add that I can't remember if the big lodge we stayed at was actually named Sol Vista or not, but it was right on the highway as you turned into the small road to go to Sol Vista resort. It was a large lodge that contained time shares that were rented out. It was nice because it had pools, hot tubs, workout rooms, restaurants, etc. There were also a lot of smaller house rentals closer to Sol Vista, and I don't know the price on those.