PDA

View Full Version : Music 14 years in the making: Guns N' Roses in talks for exclusive album release

Deberg_1990
08-18-2008, 11:00 AM
So will this thing ever come out??

http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSN1529368720080816?feedType=RSS&feedName=entertainmentNews&rpc=22&sp=true

By Ed Christman

NEW YORK (Billboard) - The June leak of nine allegedly "mastered, finished" tracks from Guns N' Roses' long-delayed "Chinese Democracy" spurred a renewed round of speculation about whether the Axl Rose-led band will finally release the 14-years-in-the-making album.

But some concrete signs are finally emerging that the album's release could be imminent. That's because, according to sources, negotiations are under way for "Chinese Democracy" to come out as an exclusive at one of the big-box retailers -- either Wal-Mart or Best Buy.

Negotiations are also ongoing for conventional record company distribution, another source said.

Guns N' Roses is now managed by Irving Azoff's Front Line Management, and Azoff is a well-known proponent of issuing albums exclusively through retailers. He released the Eagles' "Long Road Out of Eden" through Wal-Mart, much to the chagrin of other merchants.

It's unclear who initiated the Guns N' Roses exclusive negotiations -- Front Line or Interscope, the band's label.

Representatives at Front Line and Interscope with knowledge of the situation couldn't be reached for comment. A Wal-Mart representative said the chain couldn't confirm this fall's exclusive album offerings. Best Buy representatives couldn't be reached for comment.

Reuters/Billboard

Rausch
08-18-2008, 11:11 AM
I hear rumors of this every now and again and from all I've read it's a friggen HORRIBLE album...

beach tribe
08-18-2008, 11:15 AM
I can't believe Axl calls this shit GnR. I don't.

Deberg_1990
08-18-2008, 11:20 AM
I can't believe Axl calls this shit GnR. I don't.

The name Guns N Roses = $$$$$

Axl Rose + "Insert random band name here" = HUH????

IM with Rausch on this. Most likely the stuff is horrible. If the songs were truly any good, they would have found a way to release this years ago.

JimNasium
08-18-2008, 11:21 AM
There are few things more pathetic than heroin junkies. Success didn't change them, it just allowed Axl to become a well-to-do junkie.

Rausch
08-18-2008, 11:24 AM
There are few things more pathetic than heroin junkies.

If a list of "$3it not to do" was handed down by God instead of the Ten Commandments I'm thinking heroin addict is an easy lock for top 3...

JimNasium
08-18-2008, 11:28 AM
If a list of "$3it not to do" was handed down by God instead of the Ten Commandments I'm thinking heroin addict is an easy lock for top 3...

True dat. I may be mistaken about Rose. He might just suffer from psychosis...the rest might be the heroin addicts.

mikeboogie
08-18-2008, 11:41 AM
I agree it will probably be horrible but I will buy it.

It is kind of like watching the Chiefs this year.

It is going to be a train wreck but I will watch every chance I get.

Demonpenz
08-18-2008, 11:43 AM
the brett favre of rock bands

Deberg_1990
08-18-2008, 11:51 AM
the brett favre of rock bands

What does that mean??

alpha_omega
08-18-2008, 11:55 AM
No Slash...no thanks.

Jawshco
08-18-2008, 12:15 PM
I've heard most of the leaks of this album. And while I wouldn't call it horrible, it's not great either. To me it seems like the music is good, but the overall composition is where the songs are lacking. There's just no direction to it at all which makes it a little more boring, less catchy and bit complex to take in. Now, I like complicated music that doesn't perscribe to normal song structures, but even so these demos were all dragging along for me.

Now, as far as guitar is concerned- Buckethead is very impressive on the recordings. I'm not sure if he's the only guitarist, but what I've heard is every bit as good as anything I've ever heard from Slash- if not better. The Band flat out rocks. I'm not in love the synth and some of the beats that are used, but the band is certainly up to par with old GnR. And Axel's voice sounds decent.

The song Chinese Democracy is actually okay. It could be a single. Though nowhere near as good as the classic GnR hits. Probably a good comparision would be the difference between Pearl Jams monster hits from 10 (like Even Flow) and the meager singles from their new album (like World Wide Suicide, which I actaully do like.).

Now, the actual album may end up being better than the leaks. I've not heard them all together, and I've never heard "Shackler's Revenge" which will debut on the game Rock Band 2. I've heard that song will be the big single. So maybe there's hope. I've got my fingers crossed.

HypnotizedMonkey
08-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Shannon Hoon is dead.

Pneuma
08-18-2008, 12:35 PM
A handful of the released tracks were solid. Some were not so good...

DaneMcCloud
08-18-2008, 12:38 PM
As I've mentioned before, there are more than 113 songs currently recorded for Chinese Democracy. Everything from classic G'N'R to NIN type techno-rock. Which songs they'll choose for the final release is anyone's guess.

And while the songs may not be "great", the players most certainly are top notch. Josh Freese, Troy Van Leeuwen, Billy Howerdel, Buckethead, John 5, Paz Lenchantin, Richard Fortus, Chris Pittman and on and on and on.

Pitt Gorilla
08-18-2008, 12:44 PM
As I've mentioned before, there are more than 113 songs currently recorded for Chinese Democracy. Everything from classic G'N'R to NIN type techno-rock. Which songs they'll choose for the final release is anyone's guess.

And while the songs may not be "great", the players most certainly are top notch. Josh Freese, Troy Van Leeuwen, Billy Howerdel, Buckethead, John 5, Paz Lenchantin, Richard Fortus, Chris Pittman and on and on and on.That may be true, but it doesn't appear that most of those guys are "in" the band.

DaneMcCloud
08-18-2008, 12:45 PM
That may be true, but it doesn't appear that most of those guys are "in" the band.

That doesn't matter.

All that matters is the recording.

There are so many "band" members throughout the history of recorded music that never actually played on their group's albums. A mindblowing number.

All people care about is if the record's good or bad. The "live" band won't be around in 20 years. But the recording will.

Demonpenz
08-18-2008, 12:46 PM
It's no alterbridge

Nzoner
08-18-2008, 12:48 PM
No Slash...no thanks.

Just no thanks for me

Reerun_KC
08-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Just no thanks for me
Yeah will have to agree with you on this one...

J Diddy
08-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Just no thanks for me

yep fug em

Bowser
08-18-2008, 12:59 PM
My give-a-f*ck for this band died years ago.

Bowser
08-18-2008, 12:59 PM
I will only buy this if it's better than "Saints of Los Angeles". lol

Deberg_1990
08-18-2008, 01:37 PM
I will only buy this if it's better than "Saints of Los Angeles". lol

I take it that CD isnt very good? I like the title song, but havent heard anything else.

teedubya
08-18-2008, 01:56 PM
I bet KCMizzou is rolling in his grave right now.

Demonpenz
08-18-2008, 01:58 PM
I once saw Kc mizzoui and had use your illusion T shirt, then under that shirt he had a use your illusion PII

B_Ambuehl
08-18-2008, 02:31 PM
The album is f'in bad-ass IMO

Here's some samples:

Better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK1JyPvHnBY

Chinese Democracy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqxRx5srLDY

Catcher in The Rye
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHskgl2B730

The Blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzXx472AUwE&feature=related

IRS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mE5fyjYZyw&feature=related

They are demos but I reckon all of those should be hits and at least 2 should be freaking epic. That's not including Shacklers Revenge which is coming out on the Rockstar game.