PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Doubleteams and defensive tackles

B_Ambuehl
08-18-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm seeing a lot of talk of people seeing Dorsey getting double teamed the other night and thinking that is some type of anomaly and he must be bad ass or something just because of that. At least one defensive tackle on even the shittiest of defenses is double teamed every play. In order to single up a DT on a pass play the defense has to send a linebacker up th emiddle. Look at a standard offensive and defensive alignment.

E------T-------T---E
T---G----C----G---T

In a standard alignment like that the offense will generally double team the tackle that lines up in between the center and guard and that's where Dorsey played in his few snaps the other night.

Pass rushing DTs can generally be more effective lining up outside the shoulder of the guard. That's where Sapp played. They can go 1 on 1 from that spot and get into the backfield.

Dominant defensive tackles like Haynesworth get double teamed and still blow up the double team and get into the backfield and blow up the play.

So, don't think just because you see a tackle getting double teamed that he's a bad ass unless you see him killing that double team and still blowing up plays. Simms, Siavii, Tank, Edwards, all get doubleteamed and neutralized effectively. Jamal Williams, Kevin Williams, Haynesworth, Tommy Harris etc. get double teamed and still make plays.

Redrum_69
08-18-2008, 03:09 PM
your mom loves being double teamed

RealSNR
08-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Dorsey = bust

beach tribe
08-18-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm seeing a lot of talk of people seeing Dorsey getting double teamed the other night and thinking that is some type of anomaly and he must be bad ass or something just because of that. At least one defensive tackle on even the shittiest of defenses is double teamed every play. In order to single up a DT on a pass play the defense has to send a linebacker up th emiddle. Look at a standard offensive and defensive alignment.

E------T-------T---E
T---G----C----G---T

In a standard alignment like that the offense will generally double team the tackle that lines up in between the center and guard and that's where Dorsey played in his few snaps the other night.

Pass rushing DTs can generally be more effective lining up outside the shoulder of the guard. That's where Sapp played. They can go 1 on 1 from that spot and get into the backfield.

Dominant defensive tackles like Haynesworth get double teamed and still blow up the double team and get into the backfield and blow up the play.

So, don't think just because you see a tackle getting double teamed that he's a bad ass unless you see him killing that double team and still blowing up plays. Simms, Siavii, Tank, Edwards, all get doubleteamed and neutralized effectively. Jamal Williams, Kevin Williams, Haynesworth, Tommy Harris etc. get double teamed and still make plays.

Dorsey will be on that level if not better.

Rooster
08-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Dorsey = bust

Yep. He sucks. Cut his a$$. :)

CupidStunt
08-18-2008, 04:09 PM
That he was double-teamed and made plays is the positive. Trying to give a football 101 on the basics of line play is unnecessary.

mikey23545
08-18-2008, 04:21 PM

E------T-------T---E
T---G----C----G---T

Mecca?...Is that you?

RustShack
08-18-2008, 04:22 PM
What is this "football" you speak of?

OnTheWarpath15
08-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Mecca?...Is that you?

Apologize immediately.

Comparing Mecca to this assclown is like comparing Bill Walsh to Rich Kotite or Joe Bugle...

Mecca
08-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Apologize immediately.

Comparing Mecca to this assclown is like comparing Bill Walsh to Rich Kotite or Joe Bugle...

Don't tell him that.....he probably thinks I'm worse.

CoMoChief
08-18-2008, 05:49 PM
I think we need to Trade LJ and Tony G to the Patriots for a 7th rounder

tmax63
08-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Coreect me if I'm wrong but if our best DT last year is our worst starting DT this year then that should leave him with 1 on 1 most of the time and/or cause the d-line to dictate where the double team occurs instead on letting the O put it at the point of attack? In my mind Dorsey doesn't have to blow up every play to succeed, if he just requires the OL to spend 2 bodies on him instead of letting the 5th OL get to the LB's then he's made this DL better.

Chiefaholic
08-18-2008, 06:26 PM
If Dorsey has two bodies on him, who's going to block the blitzing LB? And if we had a DE worth a shit, he'll benefit playing next to Dorsey.

J Diddy
08-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Apologize immediately.

:rolleyes:

jjchieffan
08-18-2008, 07:47 PM
I remember when we had Saleamua commanding double teams in the middle. It seemed like every play we had either Neil Smith or DT coming free to pursue the QB. I am not comparing Dorsey, Hali, and DJ to them, but I think that is the general idea.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-18-2008, 09:18 PM
:shake:

Demonpenz
08-18-2008, 09:21 PM
ususally they do like a scrape block where the guard center block and whereever dorsey's movement goes changed who stays with dorsey leaving the other blocker to get to the second level. I think they will have to keep both of them on dorsey until the play is over