PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs camp buzz: Another shake-up in defensive lineup

Tribal Warfare
08-19-2008, 10:55 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/756939.html

Chiefs camp buzz: Another shake-up in defensive lineup

Another defensive lineup change

Tank Tyler replaced Ron Edwards as a starting defensive tackle in practice, marking the second lineup change on the line and the third on the defense since the start of training camp.

Edwards has been a solid if unspectacular run defender since he joined the Chiefs two years ago. But the Chiefs think Tyler, in his second season, has more potential and has earned the spot. Edwards will play as part of the defensive line rotation.

The Chiefs now line up with Tyler and Glenn Dorsey at tackle, and Tamba Hali and Turk McBride at end. Hali, in his third season, is the senior member of the group.

Alfonso Boone, who was displaced as the starting left end early in camp by McBride, comes in at tackle on obvious passing downs, replacing Tyler.

The Chiefs also replaced middle linebacker Napoleon Harris with Pat Thomas.

One last trial for Novak, Barth?

The Chiefs will take kickers Nick Novak and Connor Barth to Miami for Saturday night’s game against the Dolphins. This could be the last game for one of the two. The Chiefs, like all NFL teams, must trim their roster to 75 players before the final preseason game on Aug. 28.

It could also be the last game for both kickers. The Chiefs don’t appear sold on either of the two. Coach Herm Edwards seemed particularly disappointed when Barth missed a 46-yard field-goal attempt last week against the Arizona Cardinals.

Jay Feely and John Carney, who finished last season with the Chiefs, are two of the available veteran kickers.

“The thing about a veteran kicker is … they’re always out there,” Edwards said. “The great thing about kickers if they’re a veteran guy who’s not on a team right now, they don’t need a lot of practice.”

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT …

THE OFFENSE
Edwards said the starters, including quarterback Brodie Croyle, would play into the third quarter Saturday in Miami. He would like Croyle to be able to lead a live two-minute drill, something he hasn’t done in either of the first two games. Edwards hinted that the Chiefs might simulate a two-minute drill at another point in the game. … Dwayne Bowe again showed a tremendous ability to adjust to the ball in the air. He beat Pat Surtain and later Brandon Carr on fade patterns by making his move for the ball earlier than his opponent. … Bobby Sippio rebounded from his miserable game against Arizona to make a sliding catch from Tyler Thigpen.

THE DEFENSE
Linebacker Demorrio Williams continued to get work as a hand-on-the-ground rusher in passing situations. … Glenn Dorsey was back at his spot as a middle pass rusher in the nickel defense. … Rookie safety Khayyam Burns made a couple of nice plays. First he busted up a Thigpen pass, though he should have made an interception. Later, he squeezed through a tight gap to trap Dantrell Savage in the backfield. That earned him a congratulatory handshake from coordinator Gunther Cunningham.

INJURY REPORT
Running back Jamaal Charles (shoulder), wide receiver Kevin Robinson (knee), tight end Brad Cottam (shoulder), offensive linemen Branden Albert (foot) and Damion McIntosh (ankle), defensive lineman Trevor Johnson (concussion), linebackers Donnie Edwards (hamstring) and Napoleon Harris (knee), and cornerback Tyron Brackenridge (hamstring) did not practice.

Hammock Parties
08-19-2008, 10:58 PM
If Herm wanted Brodie to lead a two minute drill...why did he yank him late in the second quarter Saturday?

DaFace
08-19-2008, 11:01 PM
It's somewhat exciting that our entire D-line now consists with players we've drafted in the past three years.

Mr Luzcious
08-19-2008, 11:02 PM
If Herm wanted Brodie to lead a two minute drill...why did he yank him late in the second quarter Saturday?

Herm's ways can not be fathomed.

CosmicPal
08-19-2008, 11:04 PM

Funny, I was thinking the same thing while reading the article.

Smed1065
08-19-2008, 11:17 PM
It's somewhat exciting that our entire D-line now consists with players we've drafted in the past three years.

For now. Check back in 5 weeks. Proof in the pudding IMO.

FAX
08-19-2008, 11:18 PM
This is a Teicher piece? What happened to his vigorous public commitment to never deign to speak of SIPPIO!!! again?

FAX

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-19-2008, 11:33 PM
What I don't understand is why Herm wants us to go with a noodle-legged 40+ year old kicker when if one of the younger guys works out, is cheaper, and has a bigger leg to boot (even if they aren't Josh Brown).

L.A. Chieffan
08-19-2008, 11:43 PM
We've had so many problems with kickers it's ridiculous. They always act like "Oh, it's just a kicker no big deal" and then we get ****ed.

Sure-Oz
08-19-2008, 11:56 PM
If we dont go with either barth or novak we better sign Feely

Mecca
08-20-2008, 12:27 AM

It's a start, we need the dominant end to add to it though so the rest of the guys can fall into place.

cabletech94
08-20-2008, 02:55 AM
The curse of Nick Lowery lives on!!!!!!

Miles
08-20-2008, 03:00 AM
For now. Check back in 5 weeks. Proof in the pudding IMO.

Its nice to at least see the guys drafted get a shot rather than vets that are already known to be mediocre on their best days.

Mecca
08-20-2008, 03:14 AM
Its nice to at least see the guys drafted get a shot rather than vets that are already known to be mediocre on their best days.

Well there's really no reason to play vets when you're looking at a bad record either way.

Miles
08-20-2008, 04:03 AM
Well there's really no reason to play vets when you're looking at a bad record either way.

I agree to an extent. If they are well above average vets which are signed through next year and can play at that level past this season, I have no problem with them starting. However, few of those types can be found on this roster.

InChiefsHeaven
08-20-2008, 06:39 AM
What I don't understand is why Herm wants us to go with a noodle-legged 40+ year old kicker when if one of the younger guys works out, is cheaper, and has a bigger leg to boot (even if they aren't Josh Brown).

I don't understand what the deal is...seems like all the camp reports had both Barth and Novak kicking really accurately...the problem I thought was the lack of long kicks on kickoffs...which won't be solved with some old fahts kicking...

Why can't we just have Dustin Colquitt kick the damn ball all the time and have a place kicker who does nothing but FG and extra points??

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 07:10 AM
Why can't we just have Dustin Colquitt kick the damn ball all the time and have a place kicker who does nothing but FG and extra points??
And take a chance at wearing out Herms favorite offensive weapon before mid season...

that is just crazy talk... Next you will be wanting to score an ass loads of TD's each game... :)

TEX
08-20-2008, 07:51 AM

Yep. I thought the same thing.

TEX
08-20-2008, 07:54 AM
We've had so many problems with kickers it's ridiculous. They always act like "Oh, it's just a kicker no big deal" and then we get ****ed.

You're exactly right. With the margin for error so small in the NFL, a good kicking game is huge. It IS a very BIG DEAL.

DaKCMan AP
08-20-2008, 08:19 AM
Damn't I need to see how far south I have to drive to see the Chiefs/Phins game. It's not on in the Tampa Bay area. :(

Skyy God
08-20-2008, 08:29 AM
If we dont go with either barth or novak we better sign Feely

I'm on the Feely bandwagon (assuming he's healthy). The dude hit 91% of his FGs last year and has improved the last 3 years. I'd be willing to trade slightly shorter kickoffs in exchange for not having to cross my fingers every time the kicking unit comes out.

I thought the Chiefs should have snagged him as a FA out of Atlanta 3 years ago.

Chiefnj2
08-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Unfortunately you usually can't tell much with kickers until pressure situations in the regular season. It's 80% mental issues with them.

beach tribe
08-20-2008, 08:51 AM
Damn't I need to see how far south I have to drive to see the Chiefs/Phins game. It's not on in the Tampa Bay area. :(

You don't have to drive all the way to MIA. It's basically in FT Lauderdale. I'll be there.

boogblaster
08-20-2008, 08:56 AM
Feely ... GO CHIEFS ...

BigChiefFan
08-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Stick with Connor Barth and be done with it. The guy is going to miss a few FGs, they all do, but if he pans out we could have a great kicker for the next 10-20 years.

I don't understand how Herm can be patient with every position but the kicker-WTF?

angelo
08-20-2008, 09:06 AM
I like that tank is in the first string. He had some great penetration in the arizona game. I will go out on a limb and say that he and dorsey could be the next generation of pat and kevin williams

Ang

DaKCMan AP
08-20-2008, 09:07 AM
You don't have to drive all the way to MIA. It's basically in FT Lauderdale. I'll be there.

Hah - it's the same distance and I'm not driving all the way to South Florida this weekend. I know where it is - I grew up in Plantation and Pembroke Pines.

DeezNutz
08-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Stick with Connor Barth and be done with it. The guy is going to miss a few FGs, they all do, but if he pans out we could have a great kicker for the next 10-20 years.

I don't understand how Herm can be patient with every position but the kicker-WTF?

Feely is only 32. He might have 10 years left in him.

The Franchise
08-20-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm fine with either Feely or Barth......just ****ing pick one and stick with it. Herm isn't going to find a kicker that makes EVERY field goal that he attempts.

milkman
08-20-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm fine with either Feely or Barth......just ****ing pick one and stick with it. Herm isn't going to find a kicker that makes EVERY field goal that he attempts.

That is the truth.

Which makes it seem absolutely ridiculous to give up on a young kicker simply because he isn't perfect.

I understand that Herman ****ing Edwards wants to attempt to win as many games as possible this year, which makes the idea of an experienced kicker with a good history appealing, but the fact is, this team isn't winning a lot of games this year, so it's a great time to give a young kicker some experience.

HC_Chief
08-20-2008, 10:08 AM

Dumb f*ck should have drafted Crosby last season insted of that UCLA faggot and we wouldn't be sweating any aspect of the kicking game. :grr:

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Dumb f*ck should have drafted Crosby last season insted of that UCLA Rump Rangergot and we wouldn't be sweating any aspect of the kicking game. :grr:
Who says Herm wouldnt of cut Crosby by now?

InChiefsHeaven
08-20-2008, 10:25 AM
That is the truth.

Which makes it seem absolutely ridiculous to give up on a young kicker simply because he isn't perfect.

I understand that Herman ****ing Edwards wants to attempt to win as many games as possible this year, which makes the idea of an experienced kicker with a good history appealing, but the fact is, this team isn't winning a lot of games this year, so it's a great time to give a young kicker some experience.

Should we have kept Medlock last year then?:hmmm:

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 10:28 AM

yeah we should of last year... No reason not to... Hell if you are starting the season with DownField BigFetal, then there was no reason not to keep a rookie kicker...

milkman
08-20-2008, 10:31 AM

Given that Misslock was missing as much or more than he was making, no.

All reports are that Barth has been pretty good, with just a few misses in practice, and the 46 yarder against the Cards.

Novak has been pretty good also.

Frosty
08-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Kickoffs always seem to a problem. I don't see why you can't just use one of your big guys to do it? Tamba Hali grew up playing soccer; I'm sure he would be able to kick off with a little training. It's not like this team is going to do a surprise on-side kick. Just go out there and just bang it out of the back of the end zone. :shrug:

StcChief
08-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Kickoffs always seem to a problem. I don't see why you can't just use one of your big guys to do it? Tamba Hali grew up playing soccer; I'm sure he would be able to kick off with a little training. It's not like this team is going to do a surprise on-side kick. Just go out there and just bang it out of the back of the end zone. :shrug: :clap:

thinking outside the box....I like that approach. Big Soccer Players. (Janokoski comes to mind). Can't give up a roster spot for two Place Kickers so.
or get Punter to kick off. And the days of the backup QB being a Punter??

hence a "Utility man approach to football" See Pats with LB/DEs on Offense at times. our trick with Jared Allen as Reciever.

InChiefsHeaven
08-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Yeah, they should just have a day in practice where everyone who wants to kick just line up and kick the crap out of the ball...if we ever need an on-side kick, the FG kicker can handle it. Otherwise, find the guy that can boot it out of the endzone every damn time and call it good!!