PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Slingbox

Fire Me Boy!
08-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Anyone have one and use it? What's been your experience with it? I'm working with a friend in KC to put a Slingbox at his house so I can catch the games.

How does the connection work? Do I have to "dial" into an IP address or what? Is there software that comes with the Slingbox that I have to install?

Deberg_1990
08-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Do I have to "dial" into an IP address or what?

Dial in? I havent dialed in since 2002.

Phobia
08-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Heh. You should find a friend outside of KC if you want to see the games this year.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-21-2008, 10:34 AM
You have to perform a procedure called port forwarding of the router during the set up. From there, you essentially log into the slingbox.

If you have a Tivo, there's no need for one, FWIW.

DaFace
08-21-2008, 10:47 AM
You have to perform a procedure called port forwarding of the router during the set up. From there, you essentially log into the slingbox.

If you have a Tivo, there's no need for one, FWIW.

What does Tivo have to do with slingbox?

I have one sitting in my parents' place that I use to watch games. As mentioned above, you have to do a bit of setup on the "server" system's router. After that, you just open up a program on the "client" computer, type in a few numbers, and you're all set. It saves it after the first time, so if you've connected before, you basically just open it up and press "Watch."

Quality is as good as the "server" system's internet connection, but I've been able to stream at around 300kbps without an issue on my parents' cheap-as-possible cable modem setup through Cox. It's miles above Sopcast streams, at least.

Reerun_KC
08-21-2008, 10:48 AM
I have been thinking about getting one. If I land this charter flying position, I will be flying my ass off during the season and KU basketball season. I would like to be able to watch the games.....

HC_Chief
08-21-2008, 10:50 AM
I have one... it's effing awesome.

Hopefully they'll come out with the SlingPlayer for iPhone soon.

It is very simple to configure. Plug it in, configure it (has a wizard), then open the necessary ports on your firewall. That's it.

To view remotely, install the SlingPlayer and configure it to your SlingBox ID. Done.

Bearcat
08-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Once you download the software from slingmedia.com, you can copy the Slingbox folder to a memory key and use it on other computers. You connect by entering a Slingbox ID and password.

You need a fast connection... I've had mixed results, but I have it connected through my DVR, so I can pause it and rewind if the feed slows down too much. There's a box in the corner that shows tthe Kbps, and if it goes under about 150 I know to pause it until it's back up. I haven't watched a lot of sports, so I'm interested to see the picture quality myself.

Reerun_KC
08-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Can you watch stuff off your tivo box through the slingbox?

HC_Chief
08-21-2008, 10:53 AM

It works with your tuner; not sure if TiVo is one of the supported appliances, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were.

I know it works ust fine with my DVR tuner.

Reerun_KC
08-21-2008, 10:59 AM
It works with your tuner; not sure if TiVo is one of the supported appliances, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were.

K need to do some research on it...

Reerun_KC
08-21-2008, 11:11 AM

It works with Direct TV and Tivos!

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-21-2008, 11:12 AM
What does Tivo have to do with slingbox?

I have one sitting in my parents' place that I use to watch games. As mentioned above, you have to do a bit of setup on the "server" system's router. After that, you just open up a program on the "client" computer, type in a few numbers, and you're all set. It saves it after the first time, so if you've connected before, you basically just open it up and press "Watch."

Quality is as good as the "server" system's internet connection, but I've been able to stream at around 300kbps without an issue on my parents' cheap-as-possible cable modem setup through Cox. It's miles above Sopcast streams, at least.

Tivo Server and Tivo 2 Go.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-21-2008, 11:12 AM

See above post.

Reerun_KC
08-21-2008, 11:15 AM
See above post.
Okay my Tivo doesnt have and Cat 5 connection on the back...

So how did you link up to your tivo?

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Okay my Tivo doesnt have and Cat 5 connection on the back...

So how did you link up to your tivo?

USB to Ethernet adapter.

Reerun_KC
08-21-2008, 11:16 AM
USB to Ethernet adapter.
Ah fair enough.

Where did you get the Software?

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Ah fair enough.

Where did you get the Software?

Tivo.com

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-21-2008, 11:19 AM
FWIW, with Tivo you can also use a utility called DirectShowDump to convert your .tivo files to a recognizable MPEG2 format that can be freely burned on DVD authoring software (you may also need to change the resolution of the broadcast--this can be done easily through another freeware app.)

Reerun_KC
08-21-2008, 11:21 AM
What model of Tivo box do you have?

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-21-2008, 11:26 AM
What model of Tivo box do you have?

Series 2.

Reerun_KC
08-21-2008, 11:27 AM
I have the samsung SIR-S4080R

Reerun_KC
08-21-2008, 11:33 AM
having trouble finding that software on their website.

Fire Me Boy!
08-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Dial in? I havent dialed in since 2002.

I was using "dial"... in quotes... for lack of a better term. I guess I was asking if I logged into an IP address as a URL or what.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-21-2008, 11:40 AM
I have the samsung SIR-S4080R

So you have DirecTivo.

You'll have to hack your box for ethernet connectivity.

If you were so inclined:

http://www.dvrplayground.com/forum/thread/11382/PTVnet-Software-Utility-CD----Network-Your-Series2-DirecTV-DVR--6.2-Systems-/

Reerun_KC
08-21-2008, 11:43 AM
So you have DirecTivo.

If you were so inclined:

http://www.dvrplayground.com/forum/thread/11382/PTVnet-Software-Utility-CD----Network-Your-Series2-DirecTV-DVR--6.2-Systems-/

You know after 13 years in the IT industry, I should be able to find all this with ease...

Geesh I feel like a rookie!

Reerun_KC
08-21-2008, 11:45 AM
So you have DirecTivo.

If you were so inclined:

You know I could just buy the slingbox for $150 and be done with it...

I think that is what I will do, I dont have the time to "play" with it as much as I would like...

DaFace
08-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Tivo Server and Tivo 2 Go.

Ah. In this case, though, it's your friend who would need to have a Tivo. In my case, it only cost me $90 for the slingbox to watch games, where it would have cost quite a bit to buy my parents a Tivo and pay for the service.

DaFace
08-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Once you download the software from slingmedia.com, you can copy the Slingbox folder to a memory key and use it on other computers. You connect by entering a Slingbox ID and password.

You need a fast connection... I've had mixed results, but I have it connected through my DVR, so I can pause it and rewind if the feed slows down too much. There's a box in the corner that shows tthe Kbps, and if it goes under about 150 I know to pause it until it's back up. I haven't watched a lot of sports, so I'm interested to see the picture quality myself.

The new 2.0 beta software has a built in client-side DVR-like feature. It's still a bit buggy, but I was able to pause the preseason game locally last week and let it buffer a bit in order to get the kinks out.

Bearcat
08-21-2008, 04:22 PM
The new 2.0 beta software has a built in client-side DVR-like feature. It's still a bit buggy, but I was able to pause the preseason game locally last week and let it buffer a bit in order to get the kinks out.

Great, thanks! I'm going to cancel my cable/internet in Omaha because freakin' Cox raised my bill to $100 this month for no apparent reason (up from $93), for the same basic cable/internet that I was paying $72 for with TWC in KC. So I'm going to send my Slingbox to KC so I can get Chiefs and Big 12 games. Not that it has to do with anything.... just noticed you said 'cheap-as-possible' and it made me laugh. :#

I was thinking about starting a Slingbox sharing thread.... not sure if it's "legal", but I'll be traveling during opening Sunday in the NFL, and probably other weekends as well.

SLAG
09-12-2010, 03:10 PM
I am Loving my SlingBox + SlingMobile APP on the EVO

This is Amazing.

We Plan on watching the First Monday Night on my laptop via the slingbox - it will be awesome - Much better investment than NFL TICKET IMNSHO