PDA

View Full Version : Money Chiefsplanet PSA: Are you poor?

Mr. Flopnuts
08-21-2008, 03:35 PM
The economy is taking its toll on a lot of people right now. I was sitting here slacking off at work and came across an article that may be useful for anyone down on their luck. Anyone who has spent their entire life collecting welfare probably won't find any of this information useful. For those that have spent their lives working for a living though, and have been greatly effected by the rising costs of oil, food, and other basic neccessities may not know where to turn for help in times of need. Remember, your tax dollars have paid for most of these services, so consider it a withdrawl from the bank of your tax money. I hope it helps anyone in need.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/RaiseKids/WhereToTurnWhenYoureDesperate.aspx

Jenson71
08-21-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm extremely poor.

JimNasium
08-21-2008, 03:43 PM
http://www.msgr.ca/msgr-2/festivus%20human%20fund%20resized%2001.jpg

BigVE
08-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Based on answers from the Self Assessment Questions page.
<table summary="This table contains information regarding potential eligibility for SRS Services" border="1" bordercolor="#3366cc" cellpadding="5" width="100%"><tbody><tr> <th class="tablestyle" valign="top" width="19%"> Services </th> <th class="tablestyle" valign="top" width="35%"> Eligibility </th> <th class="tablestyle" valign="top" width="35%"> Comments </th> </tr> <tr> <td class="tablestyle" headers="Services" valign="top" width="19%" height="20"> Cash Assistance (http://srskansas.org/ISD/ees/cash_assistance.htm) </td> <td class="tablestyle" headers="Eligibility" valign="top" width="35%" height="20"> <script language="JavaScript"> <!-- document.write(CashEligible) //--> </script>Based on the information listed below, you would probably not qualify. </td> <td class="tablestyle" headers="Comments" valign="top" width="35%" height="20"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="tablestyle" headers="Services" valign="top" width="19%"> Food Assistance (http://www.srskansas.org/ISD/ees/food_stamps.htm) </td> <td class="tablestyle" headers="Eligibility" valign="top" width="35%" height="20"> <script language="JavaScript"><!-- document.write(FoodEligible) //--> </script>Based on the information listed below, you would probably not qualify. </td> <td class="tablestyle" headers="Comments" valign="top" width="35%" height="20"> <script language="JavaScript"> <!-- document.write(FoodComments) //--> </script>Your total monthly income is over the limit for the household size. </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="tablestyle" headers="Services" valign="top" width="19%"> Child Care (http://www.srskansas.org/ISD/ees/child_care.htm) </td> <td class="tablestyle" headers="Eligibility" valign="top" width="35%"> <script language="JavaScript"> <!-- document.write(CCEligible) //--> </script>Based on the information listed below, you would probably not qualify. </td> <td class="tablestyle" headers="Comments" valign="top" width="35%"> <script language="JavaScript"> <!-- document.write(CCComments) //--> </script>Your total monthly income is over the limit for the household size. </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="tablestyle" headers="Services" valign="top" width="19%"> Medical Assistance (http://www.srskansas.org/services/medical_assistance.htm) </td> <td class="tablestyle" headers="Eligibility" valign="top" width="35%"> <script language="JavaScript"> <!-- document.write(MedEligible) //--> </script>Based on the information listed below, you may qualify. </td> <td class="tablestyle" headers="Comments" valign="top" width="35%"> <script language="JavaScript"> <!-- document.write(MedComments) //--> </script>Please fill out an application. Contact your SRS office if you have questions. </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="tablestyle" headers="Services" valign="top" width="19%"> Child Support Services (http://www.srskansas.org/ISD/ees/cse.htm) </td> <td class="tablestyle" headers="Eligibility" valign="top" width="35%"> <script language="JavaScript"> <!-- document.write(CSEEligible) //--> </script>Child Support Services are available on a statewide basis to assist in establishing and enforcing child support. </td> <td class="tablestyle" headers="Comments" valign="top" width="35%"> <script language="JavaScript"> <!-- document.write(CSEComments) //--> </script>For more information on the types of services offered and how we may be able to assist you, click on the Child Support Services link to the left or contact your local SRS office. </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="tablestyle" headers="Services" valign="top" width="19%"> Vocational Rehabilitation (http://www.srskansas.org/rehab/text/Handbook/Handbook_of_Services.htm) </td> <td class="tablestyle" headers="Eligibility" valign="top" width="35%"> <script language="JavaScript"> <!-- document.write(VocEligible) //--> </script>Based on the information listed below, you would probably not qualify. </td> <td class="tablestyle" headers="Comments" valign="top" width="35%"> <script language="JavaScript"> <!-- document.write(VocComments) //--> </script>There are no disabled persons age 16 or older in the household. </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="tablestyle" headers="Services" valign="top" width="19%"> LIEAP (http://www.srskansas.org/ISD/ees/lieap.htm) </td> <td class="tablestyle" headers="Eligibility" valign="top" width="35%"> <script language="JavaScript"> <!-- document.write(LieapEligible) //--> </script>Based on the information listed below, you would probably not qualify. </td> <td class="tablestyle" headers="Comments" valign="top" width="35%"> <script language="JavaScript"> <!-- document.write(LieapComments) //--> </script>Your total monthly income is over the limit for the household size. </td></tr></tbody></table>

Demonpenz
08-21-2008, 03:46 PM
everytime I get fired I take that time to play video games and live it up. You have the rest of your lives to work

Iowanian
08-21-2008, 03:49 PM
A little over a year ago, I had a steady job, with reliable, known income that exceeds what I'm making now.

I made the leap to start a company, and am trying to do most of it out of my pocket. I don't cry about it being tough....and I try not to count hours when I realize I'm working until 1am again, because I underbid a project. I see that I'm building clients, reputation and a portfolio to use to leverage MORE clients.

When times are tougher, I am not sitting around bitching about it. I market harder, try to make efficient decisions with business and home (middle of major remodel), and to keep above water, take on side jobs like building fence, substitute teaching, odd jobs....

Sitting around bitching about being poor has NEVER done anything to fix it.

Get off your asses and find something to suppliment your income.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-21-2008, 03:50 PM
everytime I get fired I take that time to play video games and live it up. You have the rest of your lives to work

LMAO Especially at the opening line. Hey Penz, I'm gonna come over on Saturday for some Skeeball and Ranch dogs. Hook it up yo!!!

Mr. Flopnuts
08-21-2008, 03:52 PM
A little over a year ago, I had a steady job, with reliable, known income that exceeds what I'm making now.

I made the leap to start a company, and am trying to do most of it out of my pocket.

When times are tougher, I am not sitting around bitching about it. I market harder, try to make efficient decisions with business and home (middle of major remodel), and to keep above water, take on side jobs like building fence, substitute teaching, odd jobs....

Sitting around bitching about being poor has NEVER done anything to fix it.

Get off your asses and find something to suppliment your income.

I did the same thing. I hope it goes better for you than it did for me. I hope it goes better for me the next time around too. I'm not advocating anyone jumping on the welfare train because the going is getting tough, just trying to provide a link for some help for people who otherwise have never needed it and don't know where to look.

chasedude
08-21-2008, 03:58 PM
That's the same kind of support services the company I work for supplies

Check us out www.nekcap.org

From what I've heard from our HUD dept more, and more people are asking for help in rent and utility payments.

El Jefe
08-21-2008, 03:58 PM
I just got my food stamps today. Looks like Filet mignon and Wine for dinner tonight, or maybe steak? j/k BTW

BigVE
08-21-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm 37 years old and have never been without a job since I was 17 years old but I would have NO problem drawing some of that unemployment money I have been paying in for so many years if the situation called for it. I have actually been laid off two different times but never made it a weekend without finding SOME type of job to go to, wasn't always the best but it paid the bills till I found more suitable employment. Jobs are out there, its WORKERS that are hard to find, real workers.

Demonpenz
08-21-2008, 04:00 PM
LMAO Especially at the opening line. Hey Penz, I'm gonna come over on Saturday for some Skeeball and Ranch dogs. Hook it up yo!!!

sounds like a good time, but aren't you older? I will roll skeeball left handed :)

El Jefe
08-21-2008, 04:00 PM
That's the same kind of support services the company I work for supplies

Check us out www.nekcap.org

From what I've heard from our HUD dept more, and more people are asking for help in rent and utility payments.

All joking aside, there are a lot of people I know who had a good paying job and got laid off, and now are really struggling. I feel for those people who are trying to do something about their situation and not just crying while they collect goverment aid and sit around watching Sports Center all day and drinking beer.

El Jefe
08-21-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm 37 years old and have never been without a job since I was 17 years old but I would have NO problem drawing some of that unemployment money I have been paying in for so many years if the situation called for it. I have actually been laid off two different times but never made it a weekend without finding SOME type of job to go to, wasn't always the best but it paid the bills till I found more suitable employment. Jobs are out there, its WORKERS that are hard to find, real workers.

Most Americans think they are too good to work a minimum wage job, and don't want to wake up from their dream where they get paid 15 dollars an hour doing nothing. Most people bitch about not having a job, yet they turn down numerous jobs because "it doesn't pay enough", it makes me want to vomit.

chasedude
08-21-2008, 04:06 PM
All joking aside, there are a lot of people I know who had a good paying job and got laid off, and now are really struggling. I feel for those people who are trying to do something about their situation and not just crying while they collect goverment aid and sit around watching Sports Center all day and drinking beer.

Unfortunately I hear about those kinds of people from the HUD office across the hall from me. There was one person that was terminated for services because she was caught with some marijuana when she was pulled over the other night. She claims it wasn't hers because there was 3 other people in the car with her at the time. Of course no one claimed it so she got hit with the possession charge. Just the arrest alone terminated her services. The HUD department has strict guidelines they have to adhere to in order to provide these services.

Stewie
08-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Live like you make $12/hour even if you make $40 (mortgages excluded on the $12, but be reasonable). It's unbelievable to me to see production workers where I work driving $40,000 automobiles. The day will come when reality will set in. It may be tomorrow, or next week, or next year.

BWillie
08-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Ways to not be poor.........don't buy an expensive car, don't get a house you cannot afford, do not get married, and do not have kids. The end.

chasedude
08-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Ways to not be poor.........don't buy an expensive car, don't get a house you cannot afford, do not get married, and do not have kids. The end.

heh, I've been on this plan for years. It works!!! ROFL

Skip Towne
08-21-2008, 04:15 PM

Most Americans think they are too good to work a minimum wage job, and don't want to wake up from their dream where they get paid 15 dollars an hour doing nothing. Most people bitch about not having a job, yet they turn down numerous jobs because "it doesn't pay enough", it makes me want to vomit.

I'm just the opposite. I'm 63 and I've never had a job. I've owned my own businesses and worked as a contractor.

Braincase
08-21-2008, 04:18 PM
How do you define poor? If it means earning less than 500k a year, well, the answer is yes. If it means earning less than 200k per year... well, gotta go with a negatory on that one.

FAX
08-21-2008, 04:22 PM
I've been poor. It sucks. I do not recommend it. For anyone. Mr. Iowanian is right. You need to choose to be energetic, goal driven, hard working, and make smart decisions. Since most people choose not to consistently do those things, and assuming you do, you will not have to be poor. I have a friend who has a little phrase-thing that I like a lot. She says, "I'd scrub floors to be able to afford a maid." I pretty much feel the same way.

FAX

Bearcat
08-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Live like you make $12/hour even if you make $40 (mortgages excluded on the $12, but be reasonable). It's unbelievable to me to see production workers where I work driving $40,000 automobiles. The day will come when reality will set in. It may be tomorrow, or next week, or next year.

Yeah, a lot of people have no idea how little money they need in order to get by (for example, Braincase LMAO ). When I moved into my first place I was making $12.50/hour (only ~5 years ago), and even though I've been fortunate to move up in the world in the past few years, I've never completely lived up to my income. I hear people who are in a similar situation or make more than I do complain about money, yet they're oblivious to the fact that they're the problem. They go out a couple of times each weekend, travel, go shopping all the time, etc..... and then wonder why they can't pay their bills. FFS, are you seven? Open MS Excel. Income minus expenses. It'll do the math for you. :shake:

jjchieffan
08-21-2008, 04:58 PM

You know, I have been there, recently. I went from making $1500/week last year to unemployed. I went without a job for 10 months. I was not able to find another job with that income. I wouldn't put my application in for a factory job. I used to work factory. Since leaving it behind, my income has been much better, and I have a hard time going back. I went back to work the first of May with another high paying job. In those 3 1/2 months I have made more money than I would have in a factory if I had been there all year, and that is why I didn't do it. Yes, I struggled, and I am still catching up, but everyone I know working in a factory struggles to make ends meet week after week, year after year. I want better than that for my family. Sorry if that makes you vomit

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Being "poor" is relevant to where you live.

$100k in Kansas City enables you to do far more with your money than $100k would in New England, SoCal or even Seattle. You can buy a nice home, drive nice cars and live well. $100k in those other places I've mentioned barely gets you a decent apartment, let alone a townhome. After you've spent all your money on rent and a car payment, there's very little left over to save for a home.

I've never met any 22 year-olds that are married with kids that earn in excess of $100k. But I know several 40 year-olds that make in excess of $200k that have children under the age of five. Why? Because they made their career the focus of their life, not having children or being married.

I'm not passing judgment on anyone. But if you're poor, chances are, it's because of life decisions that you've made, not because you're a Harvard Grad that can't find work.

BigVE
08-21-2008, 07:37 PM

$100k in Kansas City enables you to do far more with your money than $100k would in New England, SoCal or even Seattle. You can buy a nice home, drive nice cars and live well. $100k in those other places I've mentioned barely gets you a decent apartment, let alone a townhome. After you've spent all your money on rent and a car payment, there's very little left over to save for a home.

I've never met any 22 year-olds that are married with kids that earn in excess of $100k. But I know several 40 year-olds that make in excess of $200k that have children under the age of five. Why? Because they made their career the focus of their life, not having children or being married.

I'm not passing judgment on anyone. But if you're poor, chances are, it's because of life decisions that you've made, not because you're a Harvard Grad that can't find work.

I would agree with that and I have seen it and done it in my life. I got married way too young (20 yrs old making 6 bucks an hour), had a kid way too young (21 yrs old, 6.50 and hr), had ANOTHER kid way too young (23, 7.50 an hr) and it made it very difficult. We chose to have my wife stay home with my kids until they went to school (I don't regret that even if it was tough). It took several years and a good job to get out from under the bad/dumb decisions I made. I'm not getting rich by any means but we do ok now...I don't remember now how we got by back then but we did it. Tight budget, no frills, no extras. Just the basics.

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 07:40 PM
sounds like a good time, but aren't you older? I will roll skeeball left handed :)

And maybe GoChiefs will lose his virginity.

luv
08-21-2008, 07:42 PM

You know, I have been there, recently. I went from making $1500/week last year to unemployed. I went without a job for 10 months. I was not able to find another job with that income. I wouldn't put my application in for a factory job. I used to work factory. Since leaving it behind, my income has been much better, and I have a hard time going back. I went back to work the first of May with another high paying job. In those 3 1/2 months I have made more money than I would have in a factory if I had been there all year, and that is why I didn't do it. Yes, I struggled, and I am still catching up, but everyone I know working in a factory struggles to make ends meet week after week, year after year. I want better than that for my family. Sorry if that makes you vomit

But were you one who bitched about not having a job? I think that's what the first paragraph is saying. Also, if you were hard enough off, would you have taken what you could get while still looking for something better? Little income is better than no income. Unless you're getting unemployment.

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 07:42 PM

Income having to do with life choices? Gee, ya think?

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 07:45 PM

I've been there too. The difference is, I took what I could get, and continued to look for a better job. I could not fathom not having a job for 10 months. How the hell did you pay your bills for 10 mo. w/o a job. You have kids?

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Income having to do with life choices? Gee, ya think?

Surprisingly enough, many people can't equate life choices to income.

They get married too young, have children they can't afford, get locked in car payments and mortgages that cause them to have financial difficulties. And just can't figure out how they got into that position.

What worked for their parents doesn't necessarily work 30, 40 or even 50 years later.

I urge every young person I meet (and a few on this forum) to get a great undergrad education, go to graduate school, go to med school or law school - something that you can actually earn excellent money for your entire lifetime so that they're NOT stuck in bad marriages, children and bills up to their necks.

Don't **** around; this is YOUR life and if you want to be successful instead of being on the bottom looking up, it's up to YOU to make it happen.

Additionally, there's nothing wrong with waiting until you have a firmly established career to get married and start a family. The overwhelming majority of people I know in California have waited until they're 35 or older and guess what? They're happy, wealthy and have none of the financial burdens and stress that a 22 year-old would experience.

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 08:15 PM

They get married too young, have children they can't afford, get locked in car payments and mortgages that cause them to have financial difficulties. And just can't figure out how they got into that position.

What worked for their parents doesn't necessarily work 30, 40 or even 50 years later.

I urge every young person I meet (and a few on this forum) to get a great undergrad education, go to graduate school, go to med school or law school - something that you can actually earn excellent money for your entire lifetime so that they're NOT stuck in bad marriages, children and bills up to their necks.

Don't **** around; this is YOUR life and if you want to be successful instead of being on the bottom looking up, it's up to YOU to make it happen.

Additionally, there's nothing wrong with waiting until you have a firmly established career to get married and start a family. The overwhelming majority of people I know in California have waited until they're 35 or older and guess what? They're happy, wealthy and have none of the financial burdens and stress that a 22 year-old would experience.

I kind of agree, except that you can live a good life without 10 years of school if you make good decisions. You don't have to make 6 figures to be happy, and secure. 90% of the country does so. This about whether you are poor, not whether you drive a BMW.

Smed1065
08-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Now you tell me 25 years later.

:cuss:

jjchieffan
08-21-2008, 08:29 PM

I've been there too. The difference is, I took what I could get, and continued to look for a better job. I could not fathom not having a job for 10 months. How the hell did you pay your bills for 10 mo. w/o a job. You have kids?

Here is a little more of the story. I took a job with a cable contractor to be a supervisor in Dallas, TX. I rented my house out and rented an apt in Arlington. I wasn't making enough money. I was promised more once the company started making money. Unfortunately, that never happened and they lost the contract, and kept our last 2 paychecks. This happened July3. I had just paid rent($875) and was broke. We scraped together the last of our money to move back to MO. With my house rented out, and no money, I had no choice but to move in with my parents. I had never had trouble finding a good job, and thought I would be back on my own in a month. Unfortunately, the jobs were much harder to come by than I expected. I worked part time in a local computer shop on commissions. That paid $20/hr(I got half of what work I billed), but I only got the overflow that the full time tech didn't get. That was usually 10 hours a week or so. It was just enough to keep me from putting in for a factory job. By the time I decided to put in for a factory job, the local factories were laying off. I got the job I have now when a friend called to tell me he had been hired and that they were still hiring. Oh yeah. I also got my ins license and sold health and life insurance to help make ends meet. So I guess I wasn't sitting around bitching about not having a job. In fact, I doubt any of you knew I was unemployed until now.

BWillie
08-21-2008, 08:30 PM
I kind of agree, except that you can live a good life without 10 years of school if you make good decisions. You don't have to make 6 figures to be happy, and secure. 90% of the country does so. This about whether you are poor, not whether you drive a BMW.

I'd venture to say that 97% of the population doesn't make six figure incomes individually.

jjchieffan
08-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Oh, and yes, I have a 3 year old daughter. I never imagined being unemployed that long. Thank God for my parents taking us in and being patient while I found a good job.

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 08:35 PM
I'd venture to say that 97% of the population doesn't make six figure incomes individually.

I wouldn't doubt that, but 7% of those people are dirt poor, and not living happily which would leave about 90%:D

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2008, 08:45 PM

That's what I stated earlier, though. $100k goes a lot further in most of the country than in does in New England or the West Coast. Personally, I don't think driving a BMW has anything to do with being rich or poor. Or happiness.

And again, I'm not passing judgment.

Iowanian
08-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Pride doesn't cost any money.

Its also true that in some communties, you can live pretty well, within reason on $35,000 family total income. The median income in my community is well under $30k for a family.

People can live close to the line, teach their kids right from wrong, work hard to make things easier for their kids(hopefully) and live very fullfilling lives.

You don't have to have money to be very happy.

I've seen a couple of you mention things about Kids as negatives. If I had $10m and didn't have my girls, I'd be a poor man.

My bank isn't overflowing, but I'm rich in significant ways.
Moreso than the wealthy, bachelor, lonely miser who died in this house.

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Pride doesn't cost any money.

People can live close to the line, teach their kids right from wrong, work hard to make things easier for their kids(hopefully) and live very fullfilling lives.

You don't have to have money to be very happy.

I've seen a couple of you mention things about Kids as negatives. If I had $10m and didn't have my girls, I'd be a poor man.

My bank isn't overflowing, but I'm rich in significant ways.
Moreso than the wealthy, bachelor, lonely miser who died in this house.

I don't anyone here would accuse you of not being intelligent or making the right decisions.

But there are people all over this country that don't make enough money to live in decent areas and are constantly strapped for cash. People that aren't smart enough to use birth control and people who just can't make ends meet.

More than 50% of marriages end in divorce and I can guarantee you that of that 50%, more than half of those have ended due to financial difficulties.

Iowanian
08-21-2008, 09:12 PM
You are correct in that, if I'd have had kids when I was 20 years old, I'd be working my ass off in some dead end job to bring home the bacon, and wouldn't have likely gone to college and given myself the skill set I have, which gives me more opportunity, and more options to provide for the kids I didn't have until 30.

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2008, 09:33 PM

You'd lose that bet. By a significant amount.

There are approximately 137 million people in the US workforce. If this statement were true (and it's patently false), that would mean only 4,1 million people make $100k or less.

WRONG. Big ****ing time.

There are over 250,000 people in Los Angeles County alone that make in excess of $1 million per year. Not just millionaires (assets in excess of) but per year.

More than 2 million people make more than $500k per year and an additional 5 million make more than $100k per year. If you add San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago and New England to the equation and you're looking at closer to 25-30% of the population that makes more than $100k a year.

When politicians and pundits refer to the "Top 3%" of the earners, they're referring to people who make in excess of $20 million per year.

Not $100k per year.

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2008, 09:36 PM
You are correct in that, if I'd have had kids when I was 20 years old, I'd be working my ass off in some dead end job to bring home the bacon, and wouldn't have likely gone to college and given myself the skill set I have, which gives me more opportunity, and more options to provide for the kids I didn't have until 30.

Exactly.

And that's exactly what I "preach" to anyone under 21 when I meet them. Go to college. Get a graduate degree. Get a medical or law degree.

If you're going to go to college, go to ****ing college. Make it happen, big time.

It YOUR life. Don't **** it up.

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 09:44 PM

There are approximately 137 million people in the US workforce. If this statement were true (and it's patently false), that would mean only 4,1 million people make $100k or less.

WRONG. Big ****ing time.

There are over 250,000 people in Los Angeles County alone that make in excess of $1 million per year. Not just millionaires (assets in excess of) but per year.

More than 2 million people make more than $500k per year and an additional 5 million make more than $100k per year. If you add San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago and New England to the equation and you're looking at closer to 25-30% of the population that makes more than $100k a year.

When politicians and pundits refer to the "Top 3%" of the earners, they're referring to people who make in excess of $20 million per year.

Not $100k per year.

Ok 75%. It's still a huge majority of the population, and a huge majority of people who make that amount live in Major metropolitan areas.

I don't consider being off by 15 % as being wrong "BIG ****ing time". It was just a guess. I was actually just trying to make the point that the majority of the population doesn't fall into that demographic. Which they don't.

Scratch that smart guy. Over 84% make less than $100,000. You need to think outside of L.A co.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States

BWillie
08-21-2008, 09:50 PM

WRONG. Big ****ing time.

Not $100k per year.

Per wikipedia on personal income in the US.....

"The distribution of income among individuals differs substantially from household incomes as 42% of all households had two income earners. As a result 15.8% of households have six figure incomes, even though only 5.63% of Americans had incomes exceeding $100,000. The following chart shows the income distribution among all 191,884,000 individuals aged 25 or higher as recorded by the United States Census Bureau. All numbers are given in 1000s.[7]"

And that is just documented individuals OVER 25 years of age. So I think 97% is pretty fair, especially if you take into account all of those above 18 years old in the working force, or fresh out of college, and taking into account undocumented illegal aliens...

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Per wikipedia on personal income in the US.....

"The distribution of income among individuals differs substantially from household incomes as 42% of all households had two income earners. As a result 15.8% of households have six figure incomes, even though only 5.63% of Americans had incomes exceeding $100,000. The following chart shows the income distribution among all 191,884,000 individuals aged 25 or higher as recorded by the United States Census Bureau. All numbers are given in 1000s.[7]"

I can tell you that's absolutely wrong.

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Ok 75%. It's still a huge majority of the population, and a huge majority of people who make that amount live in Major metropolitan areas.

But also doesn't mean that everyone that makes under $100k automatically earn $30k.

There is definitely a high percentage of Americans earning $75k or more, especially those living in major metro areas.

BWillie
08-21-2008, 09:53 PM

Why? Maybe because you are from Beverly Hills or wherever you live and bump uglies with people making more money than that everyday. In reality, especially in most of the nation not many people earn above 100K.

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 10:00 PM
I was off by less than 6%. You were off by 10-15%. Loks like you were wrong "Big ****ing time."

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 10:01 PM

ROFLROFL You tell us smart guy.

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Why? Maybe because you are from Beverly Hills or wherever you live and bump uglies with people making more money than that everyday. In reality, especially in most of the nation not many people earn above 100K.

Not many?

Even if we use your numbers (which are incorrect), that's 21 million Americans out of 137 million that work. That's certainly not a small number, any way you look at it.

That's more people than live in Kansas, Missouri and Iowa combined.

And that number is off by more than 10%.

And no, I don't live in Beverly Hills. We can't afford it. So we live in the Hollywood Hills.

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 10:02 PM
But also doesn't mean that everyone that makes under $100k automatically earn $30k.

There is definitely a high percentage of Americans earning $75k or more, especially those living in major metro areas.

When did I sat anything about 30gs. Can't spin facts buddy.

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2008, 10:02 PM
I was off by less than 6%. You were off by 10-15%. Loks like you were wrong "Big ****ing time."

Whatever.

Are you telling me that Wikipedia is always correct?

I think not.

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2008, 10:03 PM
When did I sat anything about 30gs. Can't spin facts buddy.

You didn't. I was using that as an example.

Don't you get that?

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Not many?

Even if we use your numbers (which are incorrect), that's 21 million Americans out of 137 million that work. That's certainly not a small number, any way you look at it.

That's more people than live in Kansas, Missouri and Iowa combined.

And that number is off by more than 10%.

And no, I don't live in Beverly Hills. We can't afford it. So we live in the Hollywood Hills.

It's still 85% of the population. What point are you trying to prove or disprove?

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Whatever.

Are you telling me that Wikipedia is always correct?

I think not.

Are you telling me that you are always correct? Those #s are from the census bureu.

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2008, 10:05 PM
It's still 85% of the population. What point are you trying to prove or disprove?

First off, we're talking about single incomes, not dual incomes. There are many families out there where one spouse earns $75k a year and the other earns $50k per year (and the various permutations).

I'm saying that there is a large percentage of Americans and millions upon millions who's total household income exceeds $100k.

No where near the 3% that BW mentioned in his post.

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Are you telling me that you are always correct? Those #s are from the census bureu.

Link me.

And for what year? And is that before tax or after tax? Gross income or net?

Regardless, they're wrong.

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 10:09 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States

And these are HOUSEHOLDS. Combined incomes from I believe 2006. Individually these #s would decrease substantially. And with the economy the way it is even smaller.

BWillie
08-21-2008, 10:12 PM
First off, we're talking about single incomes, not dual incomes. There are many families out there where one spouse earns $75k a year and the other earns $50k per year (and the various permutations).

I'm saying that there is a large percentage of Americans and millions upon millions who's total household income exceeds $100k.

No where near the 3% that BW mentioned in his post.

I'm not trying to prove anybody right or wrong, but that is what I've found. My dad makes 170K and I don't know any of my friends dad's who make more than that. I was referring to individual personal income too, maybe you are referring to household income, either way, that's not really the point of the thread. I think the point of the thread is you can make due and be happy on a rather low income. I make around 45K and I live more than comfortably and I squander like a grand and a half a month on booze, eating out, and other random BS.

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 10:12 PM
55% make less than 50,000, and 73% make less than 75%.

Per HOUSEHOLD.

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2008, 10:18 PM
55% make less than 50,000, and 73% make less than 75%.

Per HOUSEHOLD.

Again, Gross or Net?

I'd trust those numbers if they came from the IRS but they came from the Census.

Have you ever filled out a Census form?

I don't buy. Not one bit.

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Regardless, they're wrong.

Yeah, I hope the you, and the census bureau can get together so you can straighten out their figures.
:rolleyes:

Lol @ arrogance.

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Again, Gross or Net?

I'd trust those numbers if they came from the IRS but they came from the Census.

Have you ever filled out a Census form?

I don't buy. Not one bit.

Gross or net doesn't mean squat when we talking about individuals to begin with, and these are household figures. The % for singles is going to be much higher.

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Yeah, I hope the you, and the census bureau can get together so you can straighten out their figures.
:rolleyes:

Lol @ arrogance.

Oh just **** you, you argumentative ass.

I read the article. There's no mention of gross or net income, there's no mention of IRS figures, there no mention of anything other than "Median Household Income".

That's an arbitrary figure. It's certainly not exact.

And I just LOVE how I'm arrogant because you're an ill-informed dumb**** that uses Wikipedia for their information.

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2008, 10:26 PM
I'm not trying to prove anybody right or wrong, but that is what I've found. My dad makes 170K and I don't know any of my friends dad's who make more than that. I was referring to individual personal income too, maybe you are referring to household income, either way, that's not really the point of the thread. I think the point of the thread is you can make due and be happy on a rather low income. I make around 45K and I live more than comfortably and I squander like a grand and a half on booze, eating out, and other random BS.

That's great for your father and for you!

The bottom line is that there aren't and abundance of opportunities to earn in excess of $100k per year in the 4-state area. That's not to say that people don't earn that much but the opportunities are much greater in the higher population centers.

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Oh just **** you, you argumentative ass.

I read the article. There's no mention of gross or net income, there's no mention of IRS figures, there no mention of anything other than "Median Household Income".

That's an arbitrary figure. It's certainly not exact.

And I just LOVE how I'm arrogant because you're an ill-informed dumb**** that uses Wikipedia for their information.

You're the one who comes out, and tries to say I'm big ****ing time wrong. On a guess. And Use L.A. Co. as a reference with your argumentative ass post. Then when some actual #s are put out there, you do anything you can to keep from having to admit that you MIGHT be wrong. Won't even CONSIDER that your off the wall estimation might be off, and that is arrogance. Sorry.

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2008, 10:32 PM
You're the one who comes out, and tries to say I'm big ****ing time wrong. On a guess. And Use L.A. Co. as a reference with your argumentative ass post. Then when some actual #s are put out there, you do anything you can to keep from having to admit that you MIGHT be wrong. Won't even CONSIDER that your off the wall estimation might be off, and that is arrogance. Sorry.

You're just plain dumb.

I said that BW was big time wrong.

Additionally, you backed it up Census numbers, which everyone (but you, apparently) knows are incorrect.

Again, when was the last time you filled out a Census Report?

I did in 2000.

And again, you're just plain wrong and it has nothing to do with "arrogance".

JFC.

Smed1065
08-21-2008, 10:45 PM
February 29, 2008
Median U.S. Gross Income: $61,500

The IRS announced today (Rev. Proc. 2008-19) that the U.S. median gross income is $61,500. Go here to compute the median family income for dozens of metropolitan areas (Cincinnati's median family income is $66,212.85.) Here are charts showing the average income and tax rates from 1916-2005 (Scott Hollenbeck & Maureen Keenan Kahrhas, Ninety Years of Individual Income and Tax Statistics, 1916-2005, in Statistics of Income Bulletin (Publication 1136) (Winter 2008)):

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2008/02/median-us-gross.html

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 10:50 PM

You can tell that how?

that's where the arrogance comes into play.

Try this. A joint effort, with stats from the Bureau of labor statistics.
http://pubdb3.census.gov/macro/032007/perinc/new02_001.htm

203.669 mil. workers

12.379mil. over 100,000k

roughly 6%. But yeah, I know, they're wrong, and I'm just dumb.

These figures keep coming out the same because they just don't know what you know.

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 10:54 PM
February 29, 2008
Median U.S. Gross Income: $61,500

The IRS announced today (Rev. Proc. 2008-19) that the U.S. median gross income is $61,500. Go here to compute the median family income for dozens of metropolitan areas (Cincinnati's median family income is $66,212.85.) Here are charts showing the average income and tax rates from 1916-2005 (Scott Hollenbeck & Maureen Keenan Kahrhas, Ninety Years of Individual Income and Tax Statistics, 1916-2005, in Statistics of Income Bulletin (Publication 1136) (Winter 2008)):

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2008/02/median-us-gross.html

And even this is FAMILY incomes. A unbending stance you have with not a shred of proof to back it up=arrogance.

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2008, 10:54 PM
You can tell that how?

that's where the arrogance comes into play.

Try this. A joint effort, with stats from the Bureau of labor statistics.
http://pubdb3.census.gov/macro/032007/perinc/new02_001.htm

203.669 mil. workers

12.379mil. over 100,000k

roughly 6%. But yeah, I know, they're wrong, and I'm just dumb.

These figures keep coming out the same because they just don't know what you know.

DUDE,

You're using the Census. Not IRS numbers.

The CENSUS.

Again, how many times have YOU personally filled out a census form? Come on, tell us!

It's like the Presidential polls. They're "kind of" a barometer but often times, they're dead wrong.

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 11:01 PM
This was not from a census. The census bereau got the #s from these guys.

http://www.bls.gov/

Check them out.

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2008, 11:08 PM
This was not from a census. The census bereau got the #s from these guys.

http://www.bls.gov/

Check them out.

I wouldn't believe anything that didn't come from the I.R.S.

Additionally, there are millions of Americans, rich and poor alike, that fail to file their taxes on a timely basis.

Furthermore, there are incredible homes all over Florida. Are you telling me that those people make less than 100k per year? They're all over Kansas City as well. $400k, 500k, $600k homes - are you telling me that those people make 60k a year, yet make their payments, own nice cars, etc.?

The Census numbers are flawed. They're basically a consensus, kind of a "get to know you" number and far from exact.

I can absolutely guarantee you that there are more than 26 million people in the total workforce of 137 million that are earning more than 100k per year, gross.

Otherwise, how could you possibly explain the housing in cities like Manhattan, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Dallas, Boston or Philly?

Luck? Old money?

No way.

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 11:18 PM
I wouldn't believe anything that didn't come from the I.R.S.

Additionally, there are millions of Americans, rich and poor alike, that fail to file their taxes on a timely basis.

Furthermore, there are incredible homes all over Florida. Are you telling me that those people make less than 100k per year? They're all over Kansas City as well. $400k, 500k, $600k homes - are you telling me that those people make 60k a year, yet make their payments, own nice cars, etc.?

The Census numbers are flawed. They're basically a consensus, kind of a "get to know you" number and far from exact.

I can absolutely guarantee you that there are more than 26 million people in the total workforce of 137 million that are earning more than 100k per year, gross.

Otherwise, how could you possibly explain the housing in cities like Manhattan, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Dallas, Boston or Philly?

Luck? Old money?

No way.

My brother makes 70,000 a year, and lives in a 3 story 5 BR house.
there are 203.669mil. people in the WF.

I think you suffer from not seeing the Multi Multi millions that live in small ordinary houses, or the Multi millions that live in apartments, and housing projects. The Major Majority of people don't live in Manhattan, Chicago, L.A.,S.F. and other cities. A lot do though, and a huge majority of them don't have a damn thing. But most people are just ordinary folks, working ordinary jobs, in ordinary towns, making ordinary money all over the country. I think Cali has blinded you from how the mass majority of the people in this country live.

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 11:20 PM
There's a hell of alot more 2br 2bth houses in this country than there are 1mil$ homes. You've lost touch my friend.

OH, and BTW a mil$ house where you live costs about 175,000 where my brother lives.

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2008, 11:23 PM
There's a hell of alot more 2br 2bth houses in this country than there are 1mil$ homes. You've lost touch my friend.

I realize that. Absolutely.

I just think you're underestimating the number of people who make more than 100k per year. Even if that number is as low as 15%, that's more than 20 million people.

That's a helluva lot of people.

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 11:28 PM
I agree, and I say what I'm saying because when I moved to So Fla. I realized that a TON of people have money. Hell I design shit for yachts, and I may go to yard, and there be over 100 personal yachts there, that are worth well over 20 mil.a piece But I've also lived in many other places whwre there isn't a guy that makes a mil for hundreds of miles. They are all in certian locations. the rest of the country, and it's a big country, are just ordinary folks.

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2008, 11:42 PM
My brother makes 70,000 a year, and lives in a 3 story 5 BR house.
there are 203.669mil. people in the WF.

According to this link, as of June 2008, there are 145 million in the workforce.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

Given that number, I am absolutely certain that there are more than 25 million individuals (not household) earning more than 100k per year.

All of my siblings (two brothers, one sister) earn more than 100k per year. I'm the oldest; the second oldest earns in excess of 300k per year and lives in a suburb of Austin, Texas.

In my circle of about 30 friends, only one earns less than 100k per year (and he's close - somewhere around 85k this past year). That includes old friends from KC as well as friends around the country.

No offense, I just don't think it's a rare you've been led to believe.

88TG88
08-22-2008, 12:48 AM
I am very poor.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2008, 12:50 AM
I am very poor.

But you're in college, right?

88TG88
08-22-2008, 12:51 AM
But you're in college, right?

Yup, hopefully that will help me not be so damn poor.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Yup, hopefully that will help me not be so damn poor.

I'm sure it will.

Are you at USC?

88TG88
08-22-2008, 12:54 AM
I'm sure it will.

Are you at USC?

Nope couldn't afford it.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Nope couldn't afford it.

Yeah, it's ridiculously expensive. Like $20k per year.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do fine after college.

btlook1
08-22-2008, 12:57 AM
Nope couldn't afford it.

Nope couldn't afford it....LOL.

Sorry didn't mean to be rude there....I just had to chuckle at the responce after all the talk about who makes how much!

BWillie
08-22-2008, 01:00 AM
Statistically speaking the best way to not be poor is to be Asian.

beach tribe
08-22-2008, 05:41 AM
According to this link, as of June 2008, there are 145 million in the workforce.

Given that number, I am absolutely certain that there are more than 25 million individuals (not household) earning more than 100k per year.

All of my siblings (two brothers, one sister) earn more than 100k per year. I'm the oldest; the second oldest earns in excess of 300k per year and lives in a suburb of Austin, Texas.

In my circle of about 30 friends, only one earns less than 100k per year (and he's close - somewhere around 85k this past year). That includes old friends from KC as well as friends around the country.

I don't think you have any idea how the major majority of the country lives. You're blinded by your Cali circle of friends.
"We live this way. The rest of the country must also."

I think it's also funny how you bash my reference, and then turn around, and link me to it.

Demonpenz
08-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Most of my friends play in bands and the government tends to help us out. It's hard for musicians out there. It doesn't bum us out though. Poor or not it is about the music. One of my friends has kids he seems to like the drums lol. Little drummer guy, it doesn't bother him if he doesn't have the latest toys. We just need music to get by.

jjchieffan
08-22-2008, 10:08 AM

I am glad you and your family and friends make 6 figure incomes. Here in sw MO, the income is not that high. In fact, most everyone I know makes under that. Most people I know around here make around $30K. Those people think that $50K a year is big money. One of my friends just got a new job that pays $65K and he can't believe he is making that much money. But the cost of living is alot less out here. I bought my 3BR cedar sided house with a walkout basement and sitting on 3 acres for $128,500. I would bet that house would be $700,000K+ out there. Gas is about 50 cents a gallon less too.

Rausch
08-22-2008, 10:09 AM
If dirt is poor my checkbook is a worm turd...

Rausch
08-22-2008, 10:12 AM
I am glad you and your family and friends make 6 figure incomes. Here in sw MO, the income is not that high. In fact, most everyone I know makes under that. Most people I know around here make around $30K. Those people think that $50K a year is big money. One of my friends just got a new job that pays $65K and he can't believe he is making that much money. But the cost of living is alot less out here. I bought my 3BR cedar sided house with a walkout basement and sitting on 3 acres for $128,500. I would bet that house would be $700,000K+ out there. Gas is about 50 cents a gallon less too.

This year I'm on pace to make 29k.

Most I've ever made (central MO.)

Here that's enough to float. No savings but no huge debt.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2008, 10:23 AM
I don't think you have any idea how the major majority of the country lives. You're blinded by your Cali circle of friends.

I think it's also funny how you bash my reference, and then turn around, and link me to it.

I think you're full of shit. And your argument (oh, this rich asshole thinks he knows everything) is flat-out baseless.

First, I linked to the BLS (a bureau YOU originally quoted incorrectly) that stated there are 145 million in the workforce, not 203 million.

Secondly, I've also stated even if your percentage is correct (which again, it's not), that's almost 23 million Americans in the workforce that earn $100k annually or more. By not means is that a small number, though artificially low.

Additionally, if the BLS comes up with their numbers from the Census Bureau, NOT the IRS, how can they be trusted? Answer: They can't.

I'll ask you for the third time: How many times have you personally been asked to participate in the US Census?

And finally, I've already stated in several times that salary and earnings are different in New England and the West Coast.

How many times to I have to repeat myself?

The Bad Guy
08-22-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm a teacher.

My wife is too.

Of course we are poor.

Demonpenz
08-22-2008, 10:33 AM

great post rep!

Rausch
08-22-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm a teacher.

My wife is too.

Of course we are poor.

Wait, I thought you were a writ-...oh. Heh.

Lost touch for a moment there....

The Bad Guy
08-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Wait, I thought you were a writ-...oh. Heh.

Lost touch for a moment there....

When I moved to the DC area for my wife's teaching job(big mistake, never do it), I just didn't want to write anymore. Lost the desire to work nights, weekends, and holidays.

Started working at a school as an instructional assistant, school district offers to pay for me to go back to get my masters in special education.

I jump at the chance, and even get hired at my wife's school to be a special ed teacher with full salary while in school.

Now, I'm about 9 months from graduating and I'll be moving back to PA near my family in a years time.

That's the quick version.

Demonpenz
08-22-2008, 10:40 AM
When I moved to the DC area for my wife's teaching job(big mistake, never do it), I just didn't want to write anymore. Lost the desire to work nights, weekends, and holidays.

Started working at a school as an instructional assistant, school district offers to pay for me to go back to get my masters in special education.

I jump at the chance, and even get hired at my wife's school to be a special ed teacher with full salary while in school.

Now, I'm about 9 months from graduating and I'll be moving back to PA near my family in a years time.

I can write for you. Wives don't know shit.

Rausch
08-22-2008, 10:53 AM
When I moved to the DC area for my wife's teaching job(big mistake, never do it)

Don't worry, I've put moving to DC right below prison sex and vacationing in a Turkish prison.

In a sideways sort of manner I can relate.

I thought the same way. 'Yeah, I'm sacrificing, but the bigger gain will be worth it."

Nein, it's called a sacrifice for a reason. You don't get $#it in return.
Perhaps, like me, the one huge positive you leave with is learning there's a better part of you that was willing to make it despite the end result...

Rausch
08-22-2008, 10:55 AM
I can write for you. Wives don't know shit.

Key-beat'n ain't cheat'n?...

http://blogs.kansascity.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/01/16/ojsimpson.jpg

The Bad Guy
08-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Don't worry, I've put moving to DC right below prison sex and vacationing in a Turkish prison.

In a sideways sort of manner I can relate.

I thought the same way. 'Yeah, I'm sacrificing, but the bigger gain will be worth it."

Nein, it's called a sacrifice for a reason. You don't get $#it in return.
Perhaps, like me, the one huge positive you leave with is learning there's a better part of you that was willing to make it despite the end result...

I think the whole move to the area will benefit me because honestly I never was going to last writing my whole life.

I hate the Northern VA area with a passion, but it has given me a career, and a free master's degree.

My wife and I will benefit from the experience as teachers to get jobs in PA.

All in all, it's been a great experience even if the cost of living is soo shitty. But I would never recommend anyone live here.

MOhillbilly
08-22-2008, 11:15 AM
i have wonderful friends and family. and a good dog. fishing holes all over the country side.

Rausch
08-22-2008, 11:23 AM
I think the whole move to the area will benefit me because honestly I never was going to last writing my whole life.

Now you sound like me.

Well, short of the making money part and leaving it behind part.

My writings are sure to make millions 200 years after I'm dead and some publishing company has purchased the rights after working out a deal with the teacher's union to force them on the public school pupulace...:)

Rausch
08-22-2008, 11:24 AM
i have wonderful friends and family. and a good dog. fishing holes all over the country side.

I like these things.

You in a sharing mood?...

MOhillbilly
08-22-2008, 11:35 AM
I like these things.

You in a sharing mood?...

everything but the dog.;)

joesomebody
08-22-2008, 12:05 PM
I've always been the type to have a job no matter what the shitty job was. After separating from the Air Force to go back to college I had a tough time finding work that would allow me to go to school full time. I think that is why so many vets find it hard to use their GI Bill. It's nearly impossible to go to school full time and find a realistic job, even if the GI Bill does pay for the majority of school expenses.

After having what I considered a good job in the Air Force, (sorry I'm not from an overly wealthy family), I did find it tough working at Target. It's always tough to swallow your pride, but beer, gas, and rent must be paid regardless.

*Note it was also a tough choice to park my Jeep Wrangler and go buy a POS 96 Ford Escort that looks like crap but gets 33+ MPGs.

LOCOChief
08-22-2008, 12:09 PM
there are a lot of people living well above their means. I know plenty of people living in those $400M to $500M homes that make less than $100M per year. Deregulation of lending practices and policies are primatily responsible. Almost everyone that had their hand in the pie over the last 5 years has been burned.

Rausch
08-22-2008, 12:10 PM
everything but the dog.;)

**** it then.

No deal...

SAUTO
08-22-2008, 12:11 PM
wow you know people who make 100m per lucky you:D

El Jefe
08-22-2008, 12:11 PM

Quite similar to here in Central Ohio also. The area I work around, 50k is like hitting the lotto. It would be like the the lotto to myself lol.

The Bad Guy
08-22-2008, 12:14 PM
I would guarantee that a house on 3 acres where I live, or in Hollywood, would net around 3 million dollars easily.

There are houses here in DC that went for 2 million that would cost 150k where I'm from in PA.

LOCOChief
08-22-2008, 12:21 PM
I of course am not poor and I look down upon those that are financially less fortunate than myself. I feel dirty just talking to those types, ick

Rausch
08-22-2008, 12:21 PM
I would guarantee that a house on 3 acres where I live, or in Hollywood, would net around 3 million dollars easily.

There are houses here in DC that went for 2 million that would cost 150k where I'm from in PA.

Sometimes home is sweeter for more than mom's apple pie...

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2008, 01:09 PM

2 acres in my neighborhood (totally undeveloped) just sold for $4 million dollars. The developer will have to pay at least another million to provide a street, sewage, electrical and cable.

Then, he has to build the homes.

El Jefe
08-22-2008, 02:16 PM
I of course am not poor and I look down upon those that are financially less fortunate than myself. I feel dirty just talking to those types, ick

Dane is that you?

Bearcat
08-22-2008, 03:18 PM

That is very good advice, and more and more people are waiting until they're in their late 20s or early-mid 30s before getting married. The priority has really shifted from "starting a life" when you turn 18 to getting an education and establishing a career. Many of my friends either waited until they were in their mid to late 20s before having kidss, or they're waiting a few more years so they can get rid of student loan debt and so forth.

Sadly though, kids either seem to get it or they don't until it's too late... there's no changing the mind of a 16-18 year old kid who has it all figured out. Sometimes you just want to shake them.... ;)

Demonpenz
08-22-2008, 03:21 PM
wealth and that stuff is nice, but all you really need is love I know first hand and even though I need help to get buy it is love nice

beach tribe
08-22-2008, 03:44 PM

It's like that in MOST of the country. Which is why most of the people in this country don't have to make 6 figures to live very well.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Anyone making 50k a year in Seattle needs a roommate. I mean sure, that's an exaggeration but not by much. Seriously. You can't find a rat hole out here for less than a thousand a month.

BWillie
08-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Anyone making 50k a year in Seattle needs a roommate. I mean sure, that's an exaggeration but not by much. Seriously. You can't find a rat hole out here for less than a thousand a month.

I pay $240 baby. Live in nice suburban home, have the whole entire basement to myself which includes a bathroom and a little bar. It is good to be king.

Iowanian
08-22-2008, 08:50 PM
I pay $240 baby. Live in nice suburban home, have the whole entire basement to myself which includes a bathroom and a little bar. It is good to be king.

Is your landlord's name "mom" there BWochiefs?

Joie
08-22-2008, 08:52 PM

How the hell? In Shawnee?!

The Bad Guy
08-22-2008, 09:00 PM

Translation:

I live at home, and pay most of the utilities for my parents.

The Bad Guy
08-22-2008, 09:02 PM
It's like that in MOST of the country. Which is why most of the people in this country don't have to make 6 figures to live very well.

I agree with you.

When I have my masters in April, and move back to PA, I'll be making close to 50 grand a year.

That will allow me to live very, very well.

NewChief
08-22-2008, 10:07 PM
I don't know what they want from me, it's like the more money we come across the more problems we see.

Seriously, we're definitely feeling a budget crunch right now, but it's really about adjusting lifestyle to the economy. If you'd told me that my wife and I would be bringing down what we're bringing down combined now when I was 20, I'd tell you I'd feel rich. Guess what? I don't feel rich.

I really think that there's a few types of people in this world:

1) People who will save money and do well regardless of how little or much they make.
2) People who will adjust their lifestyle to basically use up whatever salary they make and break even regardless of how much they make.
3) People who will spend all their money and go in debt no matter how much they make.

We hover between #1 and #2. We have some decent investments and retirement packages, but we definitely spend up our extra income every month and are waiting for those paychecks each month. That being said, we don't carry debt on credit cards and only have loans out on cars (3 months until one of them is done) and house. I'd really like to be putting quite a bit more back every month, but it's a tough time to make those kinds of changes with the economy going like it is.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2008, 10:08 PM
I agree with you.

When I have my masters in April, and move back to PA, I'll be making close to 50 grand a year.

That will allow me to live very, very well.

As you should.

Teachers are the most underpaid and under-appreciated professionals in American society.

The ability to change, guide or help someone's life is unparalleled.

It's among the most noble of professions.

Kudos to you!

88TG88
08-22-2008, 10:19 PM
I don't know what they want from me, it's like the more money we come across the more problems we see.

I believe its spelled "mo' money mo' problems"

Smed1065
08-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Teachers are the most underpaid and under-appreciated professionals in American society.

Kudos to you!

You are halfway to being in my network then!

I think if I was poor, no college aid, I still would rule. Bad decisions at 18, no shit?
Its called a growth period. bet you knew the answer then are was fdorced to join it?

Your distored views of American right? So you think you are not top 10 here? If so why mention it?

An azz because we do not make 1,000,000

A year wnd wa s suppose to mean he benefited from the resourses but didd noyt start loew

LOL

The PHD means you can be considered apart of my team of 2 of 20 making less than 100,000.

You got lucky and stated we are all wrong because of decisions?

We are average Americans. Don't bring us down!

Oh a farmer?

You should have known farming sucks since that is your whole family background, you knew better. Influence make a difference. No?

We provided food to you and allow you to go to college with knowing the right future choice.

No, you are not arrogant because you was the 8% of elgible people, because you got lucky.
That makes us all losers and bad decision makers because you got lucky and think we all had a chance to go to college.

Another assumption of your raising. IMO.

When I left high school there was no grants but the 4.0 people and a grant if you was disabled.

Did you use or check into either one?

Based on your inpt, no.

Damn farmers.
I ate your food and prospered, I bet some farmers served in the military but who cares, it was a bad choice. Most military in the last 30 years fought for my right but that was a bad decision. duid not go to college. You should be lucky like and have all the choices or 70% work for you.

Bad decision, you had to provide me with opportunities

The Bad Guy
08-22-2008, 11:16 PM
As you should.

Kudos to you!

Dane,

I appreciate the kind words. I love my job. To boot, I teach special needs kids, but it makes it that much more rewarding.

Thanks.

Smed1065
08-22-2008, 11:19 PM
I was right, I am rich. This is the average. Ask me, it was bad info. I am better than you all because you made poor decisions . I did not need food te

I grew up in inter city!
I know I am special, ask Clay.

88TG88
08-22-2008, 11:34 PM
I was right, I am rich. .

Spare some change ?

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Dane,

I appreciate the kind words. I love my job. To boot, I teach special needs kids, but it makes it that much more rewarding.

Thanks.

It takes an extremely special person to teach, let alone to help out those less fortunate. The care that you'll provide to those children and their families is beyond what most of us (myself included) could possibly imagine, let alone equal.

I wish the best to you, your family and your career.

You are truly a hero to many.

Iowanian
08-23-2008, 07:07 AM
Who knew Smed was going to get an olympic gold?

I mean, a triple twist backflip from the 10m platform into the pool of dumpshit.

You should have closed your mouth upon entry, smed.

SLAG
08-23-2008, 12:38 PM
We are Married, 24, with 3 kids, I am the sole provider, My wife is a stay at home, homeschooling mom.
We have a Mortgage, and Auto loans, and about 2k in other debt that we are paying down and not adding to.

Poor?
No

Broke?
Yes

Smed1065
08-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Who knew Smed was going to get an olympic gold?

I mean, a triple twist backflip from the 10m platform into the pool of dumpshit.

You should have closed your mouth upon entry, smed.

Just in it for the athlete village sex.

Nice spelling of dum.

btlook1
08-23-2008, 02:37 PM

I'm with ya hillbilly! No city livin for me!!

seclark
08-23-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm with ya hillbilly! No city livin for me!!

3nd.
sec

badgirl
08-24-2008, 11:17 PM

what do you do for a living if your so well off?