PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Olympics: IOC’s gymnastics probe falls well short

Tribal Warfare
08-22-2008, 05:32 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/gymnastics/news?slug=dw-iocprobe082208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

IOC’s gymnastics probe falls well short

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports 1 hour, 45 minutes ago

BEIJING – At least when the NCAA runs one of its bogus investigations of Big State U, it sends some people out in the field, conducts some interviews and then after a few months (or years) claims that the Ferrari Enzo the star tailback was driving really did come from grandma back home and not the booster or the agent.

The International Olympic Committee apparently sees no need for such pause or pretense.

The “investigation” it ordered into whether some Chinese gymnasts were under the minimum age of 16 was concluded after just a few hours Friday.

The not-so stunning verdict: The Chinese are innocent.

Please move along, now. Nothing to see here.

“We believe the matter will be put to rest and there’s no question … on the eligibility,” IOC spokeswoman Giselle Davies said. “The information we have received seems satisfactory in terms of the correct documentation – including birth certificates.”

While you slept, the IOC swept.

Sorry, the matter isn’t being put to rest no matter how many whitewash inspections are done. A real investigation does not take hours. It takes days or weeks or however long is necessary.

What exactly did they do except look at the same questionable info – government-issued passports – they had previously been presented? Did they ask He Kexin if she was 16, cross your heart and hope to die?
ADVERTISEMENT

The Associated Press says the Chinese turned over information to the International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) on Thursday evening. It included the current and former passport, ID card and family residence permit for the double-gold medalist. All had the same and proper birth date.

That was enough for FIG, which by Friday morning had declared everything fine.

No word on the old websites, interviews with friends and families, a trip to the birth hospital or discovery of old school records. Nothing.

Perhaps this would have amounted to little and perhaps He and the others are, indeed, 16 – but this was nothing but the most ridiculous kind of propaganda.

A 12-hour investigation? Really? No one at the IOC or FIG has even the sense to think, “Perhaps we should at least pretend to care before simply clearing the gymnasts?”

The investigation by FIG was so fast word of its start didn’t make the Chinese government-controlled English newspaper China Daily. No news is good news.

This in the face of mounting evidence from multiple media and citizen investigations in America and England that showed more and more old registration forms, gymnastics websites and athlete logs that showed three of the six Chinese gymnasts used to list birth dates from 1993 and 1994, which would make them too young to compete at the Olympics.

In an effort to protect young athletes before their bones and muscles fully formed, FIG mandates that to compete in the Beijing Games a gymnast must be born in 1992 or before.

First came stories in The New York Times, The Associated Press and the Times of London that listed He’s birth date as a too-young Jan. 1, 1994. Then private citizens got involved. The latest was from a New York computer expert going by the name Stryde Hax who combed old Chinese documents on the web that found even more of the same.

Just last December government controlled media wrote stories about He calling her a 13-year-old “little girl” and a “star of the future.” The future became now when she showed up at the Olympics with a Chinese passport that claimed she was born Jan. 1, 1992.

There were also suspicions about two of her teammates. The birth date of Yang Yilin was listed on official national registration lists posted by the General Administration of Sport of China website for three years from 2004 to 2006 as a too young Aug. 26, 1993, according to the AP.
Chinese gymnastics coach Lu Shanzhen speaks a news conference at the Samsung Pavilion at the 2008 Beijing Olympics in Beijing, Friday, Aug. 22, 2008. Lu Shanzhen told The Associated Press they gave the FIG new documents on Thursday to try to remove any doubts about He Kexin's age, including an old passport, residency card and her current ID card.
Chinese gymnastics coach Lu Sh…
AP - Aug 22, 1:22 am EDT

On her passport her birth date is Aug. 26, 1992.

Jiang Yuyuan’s birthday was Oct. 1, 1993, as recently as a registration list for a 2007 competition. On her passport she was born Nov. 1, 1991.

Perhaps the birth date of one gymnast could be confused one time, but half the team on multiple occasions? Considering 2000 Chinese bronze medalist Yang Yun later admitted on state television she was 14 that year, the IOC or FIG should have been all over this.

Instead, they did nothing until the USOC requested action. Then they just brushed it aside.

Having younger, and presumably smaller and more nimble athletes, can be a significant advantage in some gymnastics disciplines. Romania’s Nadia Comaneci scored seven perfect 10s in the 1976 Games when she was just 14, before FIG set the age limit.

This investigation isn’t fair to the sport of gymnastics, which will forever look suspiciously on the competition here. It isn’t fair to the United States, Romania and Russia, who all deserve to move up one spot on the medal stand if China used ineligible athletes.

And it isn’t fair to China, He and her teammates, who if innocent don’t deserve this to hang over their heads forever.

The IOC and FIG have never been about fair, though. They’ve been about kowtowing to the powerful and cashing the checks. They have so lost their way, have become so insulated by the power, they can’t even fathom no one is accepting a kangaroo court investigation.

Even the NCAA is smarter than that.

Buehler445
08-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Wow. I certainly hope this isn't the end of the investigation.

Posted via Mobile Device

RustShack
08-22-2008, 01:37 PM
I'd stick it in Alicia Sacromone

kepp
08-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Wow. I certainly hope this isn't the end of the investigation.

Posted via Mobile Device

Of course it is. There's no way the IOC will dig any deeper especially since we're talking about the host country.

El Jefe
08-22-2008, 01:59 PM

Come on man, if your going to say that about her at least spell her name right Sacramone, she isn't just eye candy.......or is she :p

El Jefe
08-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Of course it is. There's no way the IOC will dig any deeper especially since we're talking about the host country.

Major League Bullshart IMO, but you are exactly right.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
08-22-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm sure you have seen these Chinese babies - there is no f-ing way they are 16 - are you kidding me - this is cheating for sure....problem with communist countries (can you say East Germany?) is that they do not play by the same rules as the rest of us....Their version of "honesty" is whatever keeps them in power and the masses subordinate.

I f-ing HATE communism...at least our dictators are elected and are held responsible by the media (at the very least)...

RustShack
08-22-2008, 02:14 PM
We need to go to war in China now, those young cheating ****s! Teach them to **** with us in the Olympic games!

The Rick
08-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Wow, that was fast! It only took 2 replies!

zhawkz
08-22-2008, 02:27 PM
hmmm...that article/link is gone...

teedubya
08-22-2008, 02:34 PM
China would start nuking people if there "precious" gold medals were taken.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_5BV_YADVD7o/RbABBsPzIqI/AAAAAAAAAKM/TeMnzmr8EW8/s400/gollum.jpg

jidar
08-22-2008, 02:43 PM
this is disappointing but not unexpected.
What can they do? There is no definitive way to tell age for certain short of government documentation, if the government is willing to forge those documents then that's it really. The IOC knows there is nothing it can do so it's not going to bother to stir shit up anymore, instead it's going to try to sweep it all under the rug.

08-22-2008, 03:47 PM
way to look out for the host country there IOC. What a joke you are proving yourselves to be. I would expect you to investigate the USA if we were hosting.

OnTheWarpath15
08-22-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm starting to think that the IOC and the NCAA are run by the same folks...

ElGringo
08-22-2008, 05:45 PM
I love their investigations, can't wait for our professionals sports to catch on.
IOC: China, did you cheat?
China: No
IOC: Okay then, thanks.

Deberg_1990
08-22-2008, 06:09 PM
The president of the IOC would rather call out Usain Bolt for showboating that actually take on something more meaningful. Stay Classy IOC...

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/track_field/news;_ylt=Anj4FwMX_N1koi4W03a20XG7KZt4?slug=dw-rogge082108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

BEIJING — Jacques Rogge is so bought, so compromised, the president of the IOC doesn’t have the courage to criticize China for telling a decade of lies to land itself these Olympic Games.

All the promises made to get these Games — on Tibet, Darfur, pollution, worker safety, freedom of expression, dissident rights — turned out to be phony, perhaps as phony as the Chinese gymnasts’ birthdates Rogge was way too slow to investigate.

One of the most powerful men in sports turned the world away from his complicity. Instead, he has flexed his muscles by unloading on a powerless sprinter from a small island nation.

Rogge’s ripping of Usain Bolt’s supposed showboating in two of the most electrifying gold-medal performances of these Games has to be one of the most ill-timed and gutless acts in the modern history of the Olympics.

“That’s not the way we perceive being a champion,” Rogge said of the Jamaican sprinter. “I have no problem with him doing a show. I think he should show more respect for his competitors and shake hands, give a tap on the shoulder to the other ones immediately after the finish and not make gestures like the one he made in the 100 meters.”

Oh, this is richer than those bribes and kickbacks the IOC got caught taking.

All the powerful nations — including the United States — have carte blanche at the Games. They can pout and preen, cheat, throw bean balls, file wild complaints, break promises that got them a host bid, whatever they want. They can take turns slapping Rogge and his cronies around like rag dolls as long as the dinner with a good wine list gets paid.

A single individual sprinter? Even if you don’t like his manner, that’s whom Rogge deems it necessary to attack, to issue a worldwide condemnation?

“I understand the joy,” Rogge said. “He might have interpreted that in another way, but the way it was perceived was ‘catch me if you can.’ You don’t do that. But he’ll learn. He’s still a young man.”

Perceived by whom? Old fat cats making billions of Olympic dollars on the backs of athletes like Bolt for a century now? They get to define this? They get to lecture about learning?

Bolt is everything the Olympics are supposed to be about. He isn’t the product of some rich country, some elaborate training program that churns out gold medals by any means necessary.

He’s a breath of fresh air, a guy who came out of nowhere to enrapture the world with his athletic performance and colorful personality. This is no dead-eye product of some massive machine.

He was himself, and the world loved him for it.

On his own force of will, Bolt has become the break-out star of these Games. He saved the post-Michael Phelps Olympics. It wasn’t so much his world-record times, but the flair, the fun.

No one at the track had a problem with this guy; they understood he is everything the sport needs to recover from an era of extreme doping. The Lightning Bolt made people care about track again, something that seemed impossible two weeks ago.

“I don’t feel like he’s being disrespectful,” American Shawn Crawford told the Associated Press. “He deserves to dance.”

Apparently, Rogge would prefer 12-year-old gymnasts too frightened to crack a smile.

It got better when, in the same press conference, he pretended to forget all the lies China told him to get this bid, all the troubles, all the challenges, and praised the host nation. Yes, these have been an exceptionally well-run Games from a tactical standpoint, and the Chinese people have displayed otherworldly kindness.

None of which denies the promises broken, the innocent jailed, the freedoms denied — the kind of issues someone with Jacques Rogge’s standing should be talking about.

He has no spine for that. Not for China. Not for any big country. He had to criticize someone, he had to make headlines, he had to show he was a tough guy. So who better than someone from somewhere that can’t ever touch him back?

Yes, Usain Bolt is the problem of the Olympics. He’s the embarrassment. He’s the one who needs to learn.

Sure, Jacques, sure.

SAUTO
08-22-2008, 06:14 PM
bolt was perceived as catch me if you can???? well isnt that how it was

08-22-2008, 06:14 PM
IOC needs to GTFO

Mecca
08-22-2008, 06:20 PM
There were people bitching about Bolt.....it's the same people that bitch about Terrell Owens, god forbid someone show some personality and not be a robot.

SAUTO
08-22-2008, 06:21 PM
bolt is sooooooooo fast he doesnt even hear what people are saying. you talk and poof he's gone

08-22-2008, 06:24 PM
I wasn't thrilled with bolt showing off a little but it hardly compares to what China pulled off. The fact that the IOC would rather admonish him over China is laughable.

SAUTO
08-22-2008, 06:27 PM
hey if any of us were that dominant we'd be pretty proud of ourselves too. remember michael johnson? that guy wore gold shoes did that piss you off?

Deberg_1990
08-22-2008, 06:35 PM
There were people bitching about Bolt.....it's the same people that bitch about Terrell Owens, god forbid someone show some personality and not be a robot.

Yea agreed. Personally i love it. The whole T.O. Marker bit, Joe Horns Cell phone thing, Chad Johnsons antics....I love it when guys like to have fun. Its a sport, its supposed to be fun.