PDA

View Full Version : Science Air Show!

KcMizzou
08-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Anyone else going to the Kansas city Aviation Expo this weekend? It's the Thunderbirds this year. I'd prefer the Blue Angles, but it should still be cool.

I'm looking forward to it. Haven't been in 10 years or more. The weather doesn't sound bad, for August.

I wish they had an A-10 this year. I love those ugly bastards.

http://www.kcairshow.com/

08-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Tax dollars hard at work. heh

KcMizzou
08-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Tax dollars hard at work. hehEh, ya grumpy bastard.

08-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Eh, ya grumpy bastard.
Don't forget cheap.:evil:

KcMizzou
08-22-2008, 11:06 PM
Don't forget cheap.:evil:LMAO That too.

Speaking of cheap, I got my ticket online for 12 bucks... and both my boys get in free. (under 12)

They don't seem all that excited, but I don't think they realize what they're in for just yet. The youngest is obsessed with the military channel. Loves tanks, battle ships, fighter jets, and all that... they're gonna love it.

08-22-2008, 11:09 PM
LMAO That too.

Speaking of cheap, I got my ticket online for 12 bucks... and both my boys get in free. (under 12)

They don't seem all that excited, but I don't think they realize what they're in for just yet. The youngest is obsessed with the military channel. Loves tanks, battle ships, fighter jets, and all that... they're gonna love it.

Damn, you are cheaper than me then. :thumb:

Smed1065
08-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Is Allen there?

FAX
08-23-2008, 01:37 AM
I love aviation. Soaring through the clouds, touching the infinite blue with the palm of your hand, spelling naughty words with contrails ...

Still, if God had meant for us to fly, he'd have given us each a staff of stewardesses and a spiffy uniform.

FAX

KCUnited
08-23-2008, 08:17 AM
I really enjoy the airshow, fortunately I get a pretty good view from my place. Here is some from last year.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/9933/airshowos4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/4836/airshow2zc1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

joesomebody
08-23-2008, 08:33 AM
The Thunderbirds are terrific. I saw them once in Misawa Japan and once out in Utah and they put on an amazing show. I've heard great things about the Blue Angels but I've never seen them in person.

KcMizzou
08-23-2008, 04:50 PM
Just got back. Man, that was a blast. Saw F-15 Eagle, and F/A 18 Super Hornet tech Demos, and the Thunderbirds. Those things just scream. I could feel the sound in my chest.

I'm burnt to a crisp, but it was a blast. I'll go again next year.

KcMizzou
08-23-2008, 04:51 PM
The Thunderbirds are terrific. I saw them once in Misawa Japan and once out in Utah and they put on an amazing show. I've heard great things about the Blue Angels but I've never seen them in person.You're right about that. They put on a hell of a show. (long one too) They were so precise, it almost didn't seem real.

KCUnited
08-23-2008, 04:57 PM
To be honest, I made a comment to my girl about how the economy must really be hurting because this was the least active air show I've witnessed in the 6 years I've been here (in the sky). My only complaints with the Thunderbirds is the color contrast, they were harder to see in the sky than the Blue Angels.

kstater
08-23-2008, 04:59 PM
My only complaints with the Thunderbirds is the color contrast, they were harder to see in the sky than the Blue Angels.

I have no idea why they'd make those expensive fighter planes difficult to see from the ground.

KcMizzou
08-23-2008, 05:00 PM
To be honest, I made a comment to my girl about how the economy must really be hurting because this was the least active air show I've witnessed in the 6 years I've been here (in the sky). My only complaints with the Thunderbirds is the color contrast, they were harder to see in the sky than the Blue Angels.Really? I thought it was great. But of course, it's the first one I've been to in many years.

KCUnited
08-23-2008, 05:01 PM
I have no idea why they'd make those expensive fighter planes difficult to see from the ground.

Ha. I guess that's why the BA are the show planes.

KCUnited
08-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Really? I thought it was great. But of course, it's the first one I've been to in many years.

Well, the runway at the dt aiport was under construction for a few years and we didn't have the air show. For the last 2 years it was the Blue Angels and the steath flyby. This year seemed a little slim, but then again maybe tomorrow may be thicker. I glad you had a good time though, I know the neighborhood was crazy and that's always good to see.

KcMizzou
08-23-2008, 05:06 PM
We were sitting right at the fence... "front row" sort of.

I noticed there was this guy in a flight suit standing there with a handful of pictures, looking somewhat uncomfortable. My son asked if he could have one, and he says, "Sure! Are you having fun today?", and signed it. (He sounded very relieved) Next thing you know there's a long line of kids gathered.

Turns out it was the F-15 pilot. (Captain Sam Joplin.) I guess a guy can't just walk up and ask someone, "Would you like my autograph?" LMAO

KCHawg
08-23-2008, 05:17 PM
I was at the airshow with my "ugly" A-10. Stop by and see me on Sunday.

KcMizzou
08-23-2008, 05:23 PM
I was at the airshow with my "ugly" A-10. Stop by and see me on Sunday.Oh wow, cool. My boys took a picture next to it. I was actually wearing a Chiefsplanet ball cap.

Unfortunately, I can't make it tomorrow.

BTW, I meant "ugly" in the best way possible. A-10's have always been a personal favorite of mine.

KCHawg
08-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Oh wow, cool. My boys took a picture next to it. I was actually wearing a Chiefsplanet ball cap.

Unfortunately, I can't make it tomorrow.

BTW, I meant "ugly" in the best way possible. A-10's have always been a personal favorite of mine.

My favorite too, I was the one in uniform standing around the plane. And I knew what you meant by "ugly".:thumb:

jab0450
08-23-2008, 10:22 PM
How do you get to the airport. Bus? Where do you get on the bus. I saw that the airport has no parking?

KcMizzou
08-24-2008, 06:06 AM
How do you get to the airport. Bus? Where do you get on the bus. I saw that the airport has no parking?We actually got there an hour early... before everything was closed off. So we did park at the airport.

It beat the hell out of waiting an hour or more on a bus at the end, when you're tired and sun burnt.

SAUTO
08-24-2008, 08:26 AM
we were downtown and people were watching from rooftops, the road, everywhere. we watched from behind minsky's in the rivermarket