PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink **** Godfather's Pizza

mikeyis4dcats.
08-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Just called and ordered pizza, and they now want $3.25 for delivery. **** that. Are they insane?

They lost me a customer....

Silock
08-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Godfather's is good enough to justify the charge.

kstater
08-24-2008, 07:01 PM
OK, then spend $4 on a gallon of gas and go pick it up.

RibKing67
No not insane, there are some people that do not realize that gas is 3.50+ per gallon and still tip $1. It is bad for some but helps the drivers continue to make a living or atleast not go broke taking people pizza.

mikeyis4dcats.

The hell they are. I ordered from Glory Days instead, and it was cheaper.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-24-2008, 07:03 PM
OK, then spend $4 on a gallon of gas and go pick it up.

The restaurant is less than half a mile from my house, but I have a sprained foot.

I tip a delivery guy well, 3 or 4 bucks, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay that to the store when I know the driver gets none or little of it. Last I knew Pizza Hut charges around $1.75, and the driver gets almost none of that.

kstater
08-24-2008, 07:04 PM
I can promise you the driver likely receives a good chunk of it, if not all of it.

And, IMO you shouldn't count that as part of the tip.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-24-2008, 07:06 PM
I can promise you the driver likely receives a good chunk of it, if not all of it.

Can't say I know positively about Godfathers, but my sister used to manage a Pizza Hut, and the store kept nearly all of the their delivery charge.

Bugeater
Maybe in Olathe, but here it's the worst pizza in town.

kstater
Used to deliver in school and got $1 out of $1.25.

J Diddy
08-24-2008, 07:13 PM
$3 is too much

we charge $1.50

Pablo
08-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Maybe in Olathe, but here it's the worst pizza in town.Godfathers is one of the worst chains in town here. Still better than Domino's and Little Caesars though.

Hootie
08-24-2008, 07:16 PM
the delivery charges are crazy because the drivers usually don't even get 25% of that...so if you consider that the tip then you are ****ing the driver over who depends on the tips...if you are going to pay for delivery, you just have to be civil and tip 15%...no matter if the delivery fee is $20...if you don't like it, get carry out =)

teedubya
08-24-2008, 07:17 PM
I ****ed this hot ass blonde 18 y.o. chick, whose dad owned 3-4 Godfathers pizzas back in 1997. She was probably the hottest of my triumphs... oh, I wish I had those pics of her. Drats!!

mikeyis4dcats.
08-24-2008, 07:22 PM
the delivery charges are crazy because the drivers usually don't even get 25% of that...so if you consider that the tip then you are ****ing the driver over who depends on the tips...if you are going to pay for delivery, you just have to be civil and tip 15%...no matter if the delivery fee is $20...if you don't like it, get carry out =)

my point exactly, I will pay 3 or 4 bucks for delivery to the driver, not the store.

Bugeater
08-24-2008, 07:24 PM
$3 is too much

we charge $1.50

How much of that does the driver get?

Hootie
08-24-2008, 07:26 PM
my point exactly, I will pay 3 or 4 bucks for delivery to the driver, not the store.

True...it's just a 'hidden' way for them to profit more...

If they provided the cars to the delivery drivers, sure, I could see a charge...

Some places try to deliver but they don't garner enough interest so them having another employee on the books is a reason for such big charges...because they still have to pay the driver close to min. wage...so I assume a place like Godfather's (kind of obscure these days) has such a big charge to try and get the customer to cover the down time their driver has when there are no deliveries...even though that driver usually does the bitch work when he doesn't have anything to deliver...

Coach
08-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Mikey, even if 3.25 is what they charge you, it's probably 1.75 for the delivery fee, and 1.25 for the service proccessing.

No difference from Pizza Hut, Dominos, or Papa Johns.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Mikey, even if 3.25 is what they charge you, it's probably 1.75 for the delivery fee, and 1.25 for the service proccessing.

No difference from Pizza Hut, Dominos, or Papa Johns.

I ordered Pizza Hut 2 weeks ago and delivery was $1.75 additional.

luv
08-24-2008, 08:08 PM
How much do drivers get for a base pay?

Kerberos
08-24-2008, 08:17 PM
No not insane, there are some people that do not realize that gas is 3.50+ per gallon and still tip $1. It is bad for some but helps the drivers continue to make a living or atleast not go broke taking people pizza.
Pizza Hut delivery here has a couple of drivers that I don't know HOW they make any money. One drives an Expedition and the other a full size Lincoln continental. Can't be cost effective with either of those delivering PIZZA.

If they come to my door I give them at least $4 or $5 tip.

But you are right I am sure there are people out there that don't even give $1

DaFace
08-24-2008, 08:17 PM
I don't mind it, but I wish that, as a society, we'd just build the tip into the delivery charge. It bugs me to have to decide how much to tip someone whose entire service interaction with me lasts 45 seconds.

QuikSsurfer
08-24-2008, 08:21 PM
I don't mind it, but I wish that, as a society, we'd just build the tip into the delivery charge. It bugs me to have to decide how much to tip someone whose entire service interaction with me lasts 45 seconds.

How about tipping the Sonic girls?

Spott
08-24-2008, 08:24 PM
I didn't even know Godfather's was still around. I assume that the driver gets to keep the $3.50 along with the tip if they are charging that.

I've wondered that myself, but I have never tipped them. I also will not tip any takeout place that has a tip jar on the counter.

KcMizzou
08-24-2008, 08:26 PM
I've wondered that myself, but I have never tipped them. I also will not tip any takeout place that has a tip jar on the counter.I do. Usually just a buck or two.

Three if the weather's shitty.

QuikSsurfer
08-24-2008, 08:26 PM
I've wondered that myself, but I have never tipped them. I also will not tip any takeout place that has a tip jar on the counter.

I'll tip any cute girl on roller skates :)

edit: Godfathers is pretty nasty, btw.

luv
08-24-2008, 08:27 PM

Nope. I beleve they get paid the same as any other fast food employee. They may bring your food out, but that's only because the place wasn't designed with a drive thru window.

KcMizzou
08-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Nope. I beleve they get paid the same as any other fast food employee. They may bring your food out, but that's only because the place wasn't designed with a drive thru window.My local Sonic has one.

luv
08-24-2008, 08:30 PM
My local Sonic has one.

Do you tip the person handing you the food through the window?

KcMizzou
08-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Do you tip the person handing you the food through the window?Nope, that's different.

Spott
08-24-2008, 08:31 PM
I'll tip any cute girl on roller skates :)

edit: Godfathers is pretty nasty, btw.

I remember it being pretty nasty. I also remember a place called Pizza Inn in Lee's Summit that wasn't much better.

luv
08-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Nope, that's different.

I guess I just don't see it. It's not like they're waiting on you, making sure your drink is filled, they don't have to use gas in order to bring you your food, etc. They simply have to go outside. Maybe tip them so they can buy a coat in the winter?

KcMizzou
08-24-2008, 08:35 PM
I guess I just don't see it. It's not like they're waiting on you, making sure your drink is filled, they don't have to use gas in order to bring you your food, etc. They simply have to go outside. Maybe tip them so they can buy a coat in the winter?Well, it does require a little more effort. I dunno, what's wrong with being a nice guy? I'm sure they don't make much money.. every little bit helps.

Bugeater
08-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Well, it does require a little more effort. I dunno, what's wrong with being a nice guy?

Nice guys finish last.

KcMizzou
08-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Nice guys finish last.Trust me, I'm aware.

luv
08-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Well, it does require a little more effort. I dunno, what's wrong with being a nice guy? I'm sure they don't make much money.. every little bit helps.

Nothing wrong with being nice. Didn't mean it that way at all.

Spott
08-24-2008, 08:40 PM
I guess I just don't see it. It's not like they're waiting on you, making sure your drink is filled, they don't have to use gas in order to bring you your food, etc. They simply have to go outside. Maybe tip them so they can buy a coat in the winter?

I agree. They are making regular wages and it's not like they are checking on me every few minutes to see if I want a refill on my drink. There's no place to eat inside so it is their job to bring the food from point A to point B.

luv
08-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Nice guys finish last.

Oh please. Nice guys are just assholes in disguise. :p

Bugeater
08-24-2008, 08:45 PM
IMO, the only time someone should be tipped is when the level of service can vary, and they should be tipped according to the level of service they give you. Carrying food out to a car, ringing up a pack of smokes, or pouring me a cup of coffee DOESN'T count.

Oh please. Nice guys are just assholes in disguise. :p

Oh crap, you have me figured out.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
08-24-2008, 09:16 PM
The hell they are. I ordered from Glory Days instead, and it was cheaper.

Awesome pizza but I would need proof that they were cheaper. I remember the first time ever ordered from Glory Days I about fell over when 2 large pizzas were almost $50.

J Diddy
08-24-2008, 09:27 PM
How much of that does the driver get?

$1 on $1.50, we set up a sliding scale with gas prices being adjusted every 2 weeks. plus they make min wage, so they do alright

bigbucks24
08-24-2008, 09:35 PM
I agree. They are making regular wages and it's not like they are checking on me every few minutes to see if I want a refill on my drink. There's no place to eat inside so it is their job to bring the food from point A to point B.

Most Sonic's are now paying a tip wage for car hops. Whether they are grandfathered in and making $5.85 while they hop or new making $3.13 (tip wage plus $1), they aren't making minimum wage.

Mama Hip Rockets
08-24-2008, 09:37 PM
yesterday i ordered godfathers pizza. my dad had a coupon for $2 off. we went to pick up the pizza, and he handed the cashier the coupon. the cashier goes, "uh....the $2 off is already configured in the price." he refused to give him the $2 off. does that make any sense?

Skip Towne
08-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Awesome pizza but I would need proof that they were cheaper. I remember the first time ever ordered from Glory Days I about fell over when 2 large pizzas were almost $50.

Those pizzas must be made out of oil.

Bugeater
08-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Most Sonic's are now paying a tip wage for car hops. Whether they are grandfathered in and making $5.85 while they hop or new making $3.13 (tip wage plus $1), they aren't making minimum wage.
That's ****ing criminal.

KcMizzou
08-24-2008, 09:45 PM
That's ****ing criminal.Yeah, see? :p

Bugeater
08-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Yeah, see? :p

Well they probably get away with that because so many "nice guys" like you tip them, so knock it off. :D You're not doing them any favors.

"Bob" Dobbs
08-24-2008, 10:11 PM
I haven't been there in years, but way back in the day (78-79), Godfathers in Olathe was AWESOME.

Hootie
08-24-2008, 10:14 PM
well...

When I get wasted I go to LaBamba an awful lot, and the Mexican's that run the place get me in and out regardless of the line because I put $5 (more if I'm wasted) in their tip jar every time...

A lot of the times I show up at 2 AM when they are "closed" and all I have to do is knock on the window and boom, they let me in (of course then I just give them $20 and they cook me whatever the **** I want and they don't ring shit up but hey...)

I had the worst service at a pizza by the slice place in Champaign a few weeks ago...like, the service was horrendous by the girl...I don't think she intentionally tried giving us bad service but my brother-in-law and sister were getting really testy so I even overtipped then just because I felt bad for the girl...

I've learned in my 4 years of restaurant work...if you get bad service, most of the time that server isn't intentionally trying to suck...they are just overwhelmed, or not very smart...or just plain suck...so I always leave 20% at least just because I am generous and like when people go out of their way to give good service because they know I'll hook them up at the end.

Went to a Huck Finn in Chicago when I visited my old friends down there and the waitress still knew my order and I hadn't been there in 6 months...

Bugeater
08-24-2008, 10:20 PM
I haven't been there in years, but way back in the day (78-79), Godfathers in Olathe was AWESOME.

I loved them when I was a kid, I lived just a few blocks away from the original Godfather's in SW Omaha, but somewhere along the line either my tastes changed or the pizza changed because I cannot stomach the shit now.

"Bob" Dobbs
08-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but does anyone remember Straw Hat Pizza? There was one in Olathe, but I think it was a chain circa 1972-73. It was the bomb, yo.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Pizza delivery is a minimum wage job. The stores in Seattle keep well over half of their 2.50 delivery charge. Driver gets a buck. They also charge tax on the delivery charge. I got a buddy that owns a Dominos. The driver doesn't get enough of that charge to cover their gas. It's bullshit really.

DaneMcCloud
08-24-2008, 11:41 PM
There's a $5 dollar minimum delivery fee where I live. With gas still at 4.29 out here coupled with the fact that I'm usually drinking when I'm ready to order some eats, it's worth it.

Phobia
08-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but does anyone remember Straw Hat Pizza? There was one in Olathe, but I think it was a chain circa 1972-73. It was the bomb, yo.

Yeah - I remember sucking my mother's breast in there, I think.

KcMizzou
08-24-2008, 11:45 PM
There's a $5 dollar minimum delivery fee where I live. With gas still at 4.29 out here coupled with the fact that I'm usually drinking when I'm ready to order some eats, it's worth it.That's the thing. If I'm ordering pizza, it's because i want some pizza and/or food, and don't feel like going to get it. An extra 3-5 bucks isn't likely to give me pause.

I consider it a convenience fee. :shrug:

If it bothered me that much, I'd just go get the damned thing myself.

KcMizzou
08-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Yeah - I remember sucking my mother's breast in there, I think.Heh.. I was gonna say... in '72 and '73 I was -2 and -1 years old, respectively.

"Bob" Dobbs
08-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Please don't make me feel like Skip.

Pablo
08-25-2008, 12:01 AM
I ordered some pizza from Pizza Hut tonight.

Two medium single toppings, 5 breadsticks, and some chocolate dunker sticks cost $23.53.

I gave the guy $26.55. $3 seems fair. My fiance is the definition of stingy. If we go out to a restaraunt and the bill comes to $47, you can bet your ass she's leaving $50. I feel like I have to over-compensate the service world to make up for her short-comings as a tipper. I realistically probably would have gave a random person a $5 bill to go pick up my pizza and bring it to me, so $3 for some dude that's probably making >$6/hour doesn't bother me.

DaneMcCloud
08-25-2008, 12:09 AM
I ordered some pizza from Pizza Hut tonight.

Two medium single toppings, 5 breadsticks, and some chocolate dunker sticks cost $23.53.

I gave the guy $26.55. $3 seems fair. My fiance is the definition of stingy. If we go out to a restaraunt and the bill comes to $47, you can bet your ass she's leaving $50. I feel like I have to over-compensate the service world to make up for her short-comings as a tipper. I realistically probably would have gave a random person a $5 bill to go pick up my pizza and bring it to me, so $3 for some dude that's probably making >$6/hour doesn't bother me.

I always give 15%-20%, regardless whether or not it's delivery, bartender, waiter or waitress.

IMO, those people take a LOT of shit and I'd feel guilty if I tipped less.

Somebody really has to suck for me to want to give less than 15% and when I do, it's usually as indictment of their service, hoping they get the idea.

Pablo
08-25-2008, 12:14 AM
I always give 15%-20%, regardless whether or not it's delivery, bartender, waiter or waitress.

IMO, those people take a LOT of shit and I'd feel guilty if I tipped less.

Somebody really has to suck for me to want to give less than 15% and when I do, it's usually as indictment of their service, hoping they get the idea.Yeah, if I go out to the bar and say I order two mixed drinks to start off...it's probably going to be somewhere in the $6-7 range. So I hand the bartender a $10 and just that little bit of effort usually gets your drinks to you faster the rest of the night. Even if service is absolutely abismal...awfully bad, they're probably still getting around a 10% tip from me. If I get great service and the meal costs around $40, I have no issue with giving the server a $10 tip.

And if someone is that terribly bad at being a server, chances are they'll be out of the game before too long, because people that are wayyy bigger dicks than I could ever be will leave them 5 cent tips and bitch to their manager.

TinyEvel
08-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Dane, I discovered a new Mexican place out here that is the shiznit. Minimall piece of crap looking place form the outside, but inside feels like you're in Baja.

F*ck your pizza.

Chuck Norris never pays for delivery. The delivery person is lucky that Chuck allows him to approach Chuck Norris' personal space.

KcMizzou
08-25-2008, 12:19 AM
Dane, I discovered a new Mexican place out here that is the shiznit. Minimall piece of crap looking place form the outside, but inside feels like you're in Baja.

F*ck your pizza.

Chuck Norris never pays for delivery. The delivery person is lucky that Chuck allows him to approach Chuck Norris' personal space.From what I understand, Chuck Norris has been replaced by Michael Phelps here on the intarwebs.

DaneMcCloud
08-25-2008, 12:22 AM

F*ck your pizza.

Chuck Norris never pays for delivery. The delivery person is lucky that Chuck allows him to approach Chuck Norris' personal space.

Cool!

If I've ever allowed to leave the confines of my Hollywood prison, I'll join you for lunch.

**** pizza anyways.

It's for fat guys. :p

How are the fish tacos?

chiefs1111
08-25-2008, 12:41 AM
all this talk about pizza makes me want a freaking pizza.

TinyEvel
08-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Cool!

How are the fish tacos?

Haven;t tried them yet. GOt hooked on a burrito with asada and some other stuff, that;s all I get. But the menu is vast.

There were two mariachi guys in full uniform eating there tonight...so, it's got to be good.

THey even have the fruit drinks in the big plastic beehive-shaped containers, and some kid of homemade dulces in a case.

DaneMcCloud
08-25-2008, 12:58 AM
Haven;t tried them yet. GOt hooked on a burrito with asada and some other stuff, that;s all I get. But the menu is vast.

There were two mariachi guys in full uniform eating there tonight...so, it's got to be good.

THey even have the fruit drinks in the big plastic beehive-shaped containers, and some kid of homemade dulces in a case.

T,

I am IN!

My MIL (bless her heart) is leaving Sunday after helping out for the past 4 weeks. If I can get away for a ride or for lunch, I'll drop you a line.

Otherwise, maybe all three of us can hop down there later this month.

luv
08-25-2008, 06:11 AM

That's it. Next time I go to a Sonic, I'm asking.

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 06:47 AM
Pizza delivery is a minimum wage job. The stores in Seattle keep well over half of their 2.50 delivery charge. Driver gets a buck. They also charge tax on the delivery charge. I got a buddy that owns a Dominos. The driver doesn't get enough of that charge to cover their gas. It's bullshit really.

sir are you aware that the majority of dominos are franchises, and franchisees are free to set their own delivery charge/mileage

sounds like your buddy is the bullshit, he should treat his people better

fwiw, most of our stores pay drivers sub minimum wage due to the brilliant MO law that hikes minimum wage every year.

That's another one of the reasons we went to a delivery charge in the first place to recoup rising labor costs and food costs (thank you ethanol and fuel costs)

this is something I'm familar with seeing as how I've been a GM or Area Supervisor for Dominos for the majority of the past 5 years

phisherman
08-25-2008, 07:06 AM
well...
I don't think she intentionally tried giving us bad service but my brother-in-law and sister were getting really testy so I even overtipped then just because I felt bad for the girl...

I've learned in my 4 years of restaurant work...if you get bad service, most of the time that server isn't intentionally trying to suck...they are just overwhelmed, or not very smart...or just plain suck...so I always leave 20% at least just because I am generous and like when people go out of their way to give good service because they know I'll hook them up at the end.

this is the problem...

the service sucked, and you still tipped at a premium.

yes, i have served and bartended in the past, but i guess i was smart enough to realize that normally when i got a shi**y tip it was because i was slacking. and yes, i know, i got stiffed occasionally when i gave great service.

you gave the server more money because your brother got testy? i'm assuming he was testy because the service was terrible?

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-25-2008, 09:13 AM
I ****ed a monkey that escaped from the zoo one time . She was hot for my banana back in 1997. She was probably the hottest of my triumphs... oh, I love ****ing animals. Even rats!!

:drool:

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-25-2008, 09:16 AM

The thing is that that 45 seconds can be spent spitting on your pizza the next goround. Best to tip good! :thumb:

Jewish Rabbi
08-25-2008, 09:25 AM
this is the problem...

the service sucked, and you still tipped at a premium.

yes, i have served and bartended in the past, but i guess i was smart enough to realize that normally when i got a shi**y tip it was because i was slacking. and yes, i know, i got stiffed occasionally when i gave great service.

you gave the server more money because your brother got testy? i'm assuming he was testy because the service was terrible?

Yeah Hootie is a f#cking idiot. I have no problem at all with leaving no tip at all if the service was shit. Zero problem. Yes, I am a college student, but that doesn't mean you should treat me any differently than the 60 year old banker.

But on the flipside, I do like to tip well for good service or if I am a pain. If I spill my drink, I'm going to leave a bigger tip, just because I created more work.

Quesadilla Joe
08-25-2008, 09:39 AM
The restaurant is less than half a mile from my house, but I have a sprained foot.

I tip a delivery guy well, 3 or 4 bucks, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay that to the store when I know the driver gets none or little of it. Last I knew Pizza Hut charges around $1.75, and the driver gets almost none of that.

I was a manager at Papa Johns 2 years ago and we charged a 1.30 for deliver. Most pizza places do charger for delivery. And the driver got all of the 1.30 delivery charge plus tips. The only money that the company gets is for the price of the pizza.

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 09:40 AM
I was a manager at Papa Johns 2 years ago and we charged a 1.30 for deliver. Most pizza places do charger for delivery. And the driver got all of the 1.30 delivery charge plus tips. The only money that the company gets is for the price of the pizza.

we were that way 2 years ago too, until the cost of everything started skyrocketing

Al Bundy
08-25-2008, 09:45 AM
I worked at a Godfathers back in the 80's and I don't remember them having a delivery charge. Back then their Pizza was the best but it has been 10 years or so since I have had it.

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 09:47 AM
I worked at a Godfathers back in the 80's and I don't remember them having a delivery charge. Back then their Pizza was the best but it has been 10 years or so since I have had it.

Delivery charges just started springing up in the last 5 years or so. Quickest way to offset rising costs without having to say "we raised prices"

Bugeater
08-25-2008, 09:50 AM
we were that way 2 years ago too, until the cost of everything started skyrocketing

Well if that's the case then you should be raising the price of the pizza. Why should you start taking a cut of the delivery charge because food prices have increased? News flash, the price of gas has skyrocketed as well, and that comes out of the driver's pocket and no one elses.

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Well if that's the case then you should be raising the price of the pizza. Why should you start taking a cut of the delivery charge because food prices have increased? News flash, the price of gas has skyrocketed as well, and that comes out of the driver's pocket and no one elses.

Our scale is a sliding one where compensation goes up as well as delivery charge

News flash, drivers are getting paid more in mileage as well as wage

Furthermore, before the delivery charge we were paying all the mileage

My drivers make more in mileage than they spend in gas, thank you

Bugeater
08-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Our scale is a sliding one where compensation goes up as well as delivery charge

As they should, because it costs more than gas to maintain and operate what amounts to a company vehicle that they are providing for you.

And you can spin it however you want, the way you described it is you are now taking part of the delivery charge, that the driver used to get in its entirety, in order to subsidize rising food costs. Is that not the case?

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 10:28 AM
As they should, because it costs more than gas to maintain and operate what amounts to a company vehicle that they are providing for you.

And you can spin it however you want, the way you described it is you are now taking part of the delivery charge, that the driver used to get in its entirety, in order to subsidize rising food costs. Is that not the case?

no sir, mileage is based on what it takes to operate a vehicle
we were paying this before we accepted a delivery charg
these 2 thing run independent of each other
we pay fair mileage, period. Regardless of whether we are accepting a delivery charge or not.

we did not impose a delivery charge until everything started to rise

Bugeater
08-25-2008, 10:37 AM
no sir, mileage is based on what it takes to operate a vehicle
we were paying this before we accepted a delivery charg
these 2 thing run independent of each other
we pay fair mileage, period. Regardless of whether we are accepting a delivery charge or not.

we did not impose a delivery charge until everything started to rise
Ok, but in post #74 you implied that the driver used to get the entire delivery charge, and then when costs starting rising you started to take a cut of it to offset rising costs, which I assume you mean food costs and other various overhead since once that pizza leaves the store your costs are fixed. It sounds to me like you're robbing Peter to pay Paul, and once again the employee is the one who gets the short end of the stick. And if you're compensating the employee in different ways to make up for the cut of the delivery charge you're now taking, then you're not offsetting your increase in food costs one bit.

Bottom line is, if you're not increasing the price of the pizza, then the money to cover the increased costs HAS to be coming out the employee's pocket one way or another. You CANNOT spin it any other way.

Fairplay
08-25-2008, 10:42 AM
That guy in the avatar is ugly GoBo.

His eyes have a weird stare about them also.

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Ok, but in post #74 you implied that the driver used to get the entire delivery charge, and then when costs starting rising you started to take a cut of it to offset rising costs, which I assume you mean food costs and other various overhead since once that pizza leaves the store your costs are fixed. It sounds to me like you're robbing Peter to pay Paul, and once again the employee is the one who gets the short end of the stick. And if you're compensating the employee in different ways to make up for the cut of the delivery charge you're now taking, then you're not offsetting your increase in food costs one bit.

Bottom line is, if you're not increasing the price of the pizza, then the money to cover the increased costs HAS to be coming out the employee's pocket one way or another. You CANNOT spin it any other way.

sir,
no

first I implied nothing, you deduced that from one sentence
we've absorbed a tremendous amount of the costs ourselves because in this economy, to raise prices would kill us.

My employees average wage has jumped up $2 an hour, average compensation for mileage is double what it was 2 years ago

My drivers compensation per hour for most is $10-15 an hour not including mileage
sounds like they got it rough, huh
so get off your soapbox about something you obviously know nothing about

Skip Towne
08-25-2008, 10:47 AM

How much per mile do you pay?

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 10:49 AM
How much per mile do you pay?

we pay per run
like I said it's sliding scale based on what gas is
$1 at the bottom, $2 at the top

Bugeater
08-25-2008, 10:59 AM
That guy in the avatar is ugly GoBo.

His eyes have a weird stare about them also.
FEAR THE BO!

sir,
no

first I implied nothing, you deduced that from one sentence
we've absorbed a tremendous amount of the costs ourselves because in this economy, to raise prices would kill us.

My employees average wage has jumped up $2 an hour, average compensation for mileage is double what it was 2 years ago

My drivers compensation per hour for most is $10-15 an hour not including mileage
sounds like they got it rough, huh
so get off your soapbox about something you obviously know nothing about
Sorry, something is just not adding up here. This is pretty much what you're saying:

1) You cannot absorb the increased costs anymore, and you need to compensate for them in some way other than raising the price of a pizza.

2) You're doing it by taking part of the delivery charge that the driver used to get in its entirety.

3) Your drivers are still making as much as they used to, if not more, which means you are compensating them in other ways to make up for the portion of the delivery charge you are now taking.

If all those are true, then you're not covering the increase in costs at all. And don't tell me I don't know what the **** I'm talking about, it's pretty simple math. THE MONEY HAS TO COME FROM SOMEWHERE.

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 11:03 AM
FEAR THE BO!

Sorry, something is just not adding up here. This is pretty much what you're saying:

1) You cannot absorb the increased costs anymore, and you need to compensate for them in some way other than raising the price of a pizza.

2) You're doing it by taking part of the delivery charge that the driver used to get in its entirety.

3) Your drivers are still making as much as they used to, if not more, which means you are compensating them in other ways to make up for the portion of the delivery charge you are now taking.

If all those are true, then you're not covering the increase in costs at all. And don't tell me I don't know what the **** I'm talking about, it's pretty simple math. THE MONEY HAS TO COME FROM SOMEWHERE.

i never said the driver got it in the entirety you did

I also said we're absorbing the costs

look at my posts
I also said that we added the delivery charge to offset rising costs

Skip Towne
08-25-2008, 11:09 AM

I also said we're absorbing the costs

look at my posts
I also said that we added the delivery charge to offset rising costs

How much does it cost to make a large pizza? Not much I'd bet.

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 11:14 AM

depends on the pizza, will tell you that food cost is approximately 35%
l

DaneMcCloud
08-25-2008, 11:17 AM

Well in Dominos defense, they are cheap.

Real NY pizza places in Los Angeles are at least double the cost of Dominos.

I can't believe that people are actually bitching about a $3 dollar delivery surcharge. It's a convenience fee.

Why shouldn't there a fee associated with delivery? Why should it be the same exact price if you were to pick it up?

JFC. This is 2008, not 1978.

Bugeater
08-25-2008, 11:19 AM

No, you did. I don't see any other way to interpret these two posts. You're more than welcome to clarify for me.

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 11:27 AM
No, you did. I don't see any other way to interpret these two posts. You're more than welcome to clarify for me.

i was referring to all the money we got was the price of the pizza, not the compensation part for the drivers

I can see how that could be confusing, at no point did we give at all to the driver. Out of the delivery charge, we still have to pay royalties, advertising and taxes

Bugeater
08-25-2008, 11:32 AM
i was referring to all the money we got was the price of the pizza, not the compensation part for the drivers

I can see how that could be confusing, at no point did we give at all to the driver. Out of the delivery charge, we still have to pay royalties, advertising and taxes

OK THANK YOU. That's all you needed to say. I'd ask you how adding a delivery charge doesn't equate to a price increase, but my head already hurts from banging it against the wall so I won't bother.

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 11:34 AM
OK THANK YOU. That's all you needed to say. I'd ask you how adding a delivery charge doesn't equate to a price increase, but my head already hurts from banging it against the wall so I won't bother.

it is a price increase but it is viewed as a modest one

Bugeater
08-25-2008, 11:38 AM
it is a price increase but it is viewed as a modest one

Frankly, anyone who doesn't expect their pizza to cost more these days isn't in touch with reality. But I deal with customers too and I sure as hell know how fickle they can be.

Lzen
08-25-2008, 12:42 PM
I loved them when I was a kid, I lived just a few blocks away from the original Godfather's in SW Omaha, but somewhere along the line either my tastes changed or the pizza changed because I cannot stomach the shit now.

For me, that describes Pizza Hut.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Nope. I beleve they get paid the same as any other fast food employee. They may bring your food out, but that's only because the place wasn't designed with a drive thru window.

Sonic servers make minimum wage. They are viewed as a fast food employee not a true server.

I have tipped a hot sonic girl on occasion though...

mikeyis4dcats.
08-25-2008, 02:06 PM

I had a coupon for GD to get a large for the price of a medium. Added cheesesticks and the total was $26.xx. Godfathers was going to be $29.XX after tax and screw charge.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Well in Dominos defense, they are cheap.

Real NY pizza places in Los Angeles are at least double the cost of Dominos.

I can't believe that people are actually bitching about a $3 dollar delivery surcharge. It's a convenience fee.

Why shouldn't there a fee associated with delivery? Why should it be the same exact price if you were to pick it up?

JFC. This is 2008, not 1978.

In my opinion, the drivers tip is the convenience fee. I think a $3.25 delivery fee PLUS a reasonable tip is far too much to charge. In the end this will only lose them customers and cost drivers tips. Many people will consider that to be enough of a "tip" since they assume incorrectly the driver gets the money.

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 02:30 PM
In my opinion, the drivers tip is the convenience fee. I think a $3.25 delivery fee PLUS a reasonable tip is far too much to charge. In the end this will only lose them customers and cost drivers tips. Many people will consider that to be enough of a "tip" since they assume incorrectly the driver gets the money.

some people don't tip, what does that do to the convenience fee

"Bob" Dobbs
08-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Sonic servers make minimum wage. They are viewed as a fast food employee not a true server.

I have tipped a hot sonic girl on occasion though...The hell with tipping her. I'll give her the whole thing.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-25-2008, 02:35 PM
some people don't tip, what does that do to the convenience fee

As I see it you have 2 choices, proudly and loudly state you have a $3.50 delivery charge, give it all to the driver, and explain any further tip is discretionary.

Charge a reasonable fee (like $1.75) and leave the rest up top the customer.

My issue with Godfather's is the charge is never mentioned or stated, the charge is excessive IMHO, and I strongly suspect the driver sees very little of it.

DaneMcCloud
08-25-2008, 02:35 PM

Considering the franchise takes a part of the that fee, I don't feel that's a tip in anyway, shape or form.

I always tip the driver.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-25-2008, 02:39 PM
Considering the franchise takes a part of the that fee, I don't feel that's a tip in anyway, shape or form.

I always tip the driver.

As do I. I never considered Pizza Hut's fee as a tip in part or whole, but many people do. But that's a $1.75 charge. A $3.25 fee PLUS tip is excessive IMHO.

I'd pay $1.75 and tip the driver $3 or $4. But I won't pay $3.25 and tip another $3 or $4. And I think it's insulting to the driver to tip less than $3. So I won'ty order from Godfather's anymore.

For what it's worth, Pizza Hut charges $1.75, Glory Days $0, and Domino's I think is a $1.50.