PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Redneck Flatscreen...

penguinz
08-25-2008, 10:32 AM
http://www.lilligren.com/Redneck/images/redneck_flatscreen_1.jpg

http://www.lilligren.com/Redneck/images/redneck_flatscreen_2.jpg

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 10:34 AM
I like it

L.A. Chieffan
08-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Plasma or LCD?

Simply Red
08-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Plasma or LCD?

ROFL

Mr. Plow
08-25-2008, 10:51 AM
I have that TV at home.....or one very similar. Now it plays second fiddle to my plasma.

Skip Towne
08-25-2008, 10:53 AM
There's more than one way to f*ck a monkey.

CoMoChief
08-25-2008, 10:53 AM
Sadly I know someone who has done that.

morphius
08-25-2008, 10:59 AM
That really doesn't bother me, but eh, I must be a redneck. The back is terribly done, but not seeing the big TV case in the main room makes some sense as well.

I do know someone who has done something similar, but that was before flat screens started coming down to reasonable prices.

Simply Red
08-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Sadly I know someone who has done that.

THAT'S AWESOME!

Bugeater
08-25-2008, 11:40 AM
It will probably cost them just about as much to repair the damage to their house than it would've to just buy a real flat screen.

MOhillbilly
08-25-2008, 11:43 AM
It will probably cost them just about as much to repair the damage to their house than it would've to just buy a real flat screen.
not if you diy with abit of paint and some cardboard.

Saulbadguy
08-25-2008, 11:44 AM
The funniest part is they have a DVD player hooked up on the back.

morphius
08-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Or you leave it with the house...

Bowser
08-25-2008, 11:45 AM

"Never could get this dang-darned remote to work..."

Time's Yours
08-25-2008, 11:46 AM
That really doesn't bother me, but eh, I must be a redneck. The back is terribly done, but not seeing the big TV case in the main room makes some sense as well.

Except for the ginormous hole in the middle of the F-ing wall that will cost as much to repair when the TV goes out as buying an LCD would have.

Skip Towne
08-25-2008, 11:48 AM

But then you wouldn't have a redneck TV.

Bugeater
08-25-2008, 11:49 AM
They may as well cut another hole to stick the front of it thru. That wall is screwed anyway.

Bugeater
08-25-2008, 11:52 AM
But then you wouldn't have a redneck TV.

You're absolutely right. I'm going to cut a hole in my wall and stick my monitor in it right now. Redneck PC FTW!

Fish
08-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Looks like they took a sawzall and just started cutting away from the back.... look at that nasty zig zag line....

And that door won't open all the way now...

:shake:

Bowser
08-25-2008, 11:53 AM
You're absolutely right. I'm going to cut a hole in my wall and stick my monitor in it right now. Redneck PC FTW!

Like it's not there already.

:D

Dartgod
08-25-2008, 11:54 AM
I hope that's not a load bearing wall.

Skip Towne
08-25-2008, 11:55 AM

YES!!! :thumb:

chasedude
08-25-2008, 12:01 PM

I've been getting a hard time from one of the women I work with. She's always wanting a flatscreen, everyday I hear about it. I sent her some pics from this thread telling here this will be the closest she's gonna get. LMAO

kcxiv
08-25-2008, 12:03 PM
If you know how to drywall that wont cost that much to do. Drywalling is not that hard. Last year, my dad came down and i helped him do half of this house i live in. Its not that bad, but **** doing it for a living breathing that shit in.

Simply Red
08-25-2008, 12:06 PM
If you know how to drywall that wont cost that much to do. Drywalling is not that hard. Last year, my dad came down and i helped him do half of this house i live in. Its not that bad, but **** doing it for a living breathing that shit in.

Gypsum is high in protein.

kcxiv
08-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Gypsum is high in protein.

So is a Sirloin burger which i am about to have for lunch.

Simply Red
08-25-2008, 12:20 PM
So is a Sirloin burger which i am about to have for lunch.

yum,

Bugeater
08-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Installing new drywall and patching in a hole like that and making it look good are two completely different things. That wall will never be the same.

Jewish Rabbi
08-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Looks like they took a sawzall and just started cutting away from the back.... look at that nasty zig zag line....

And that door won't open all the way now...

:shake:

The door already is open...Look at the hinges on it.

Fish
08-25-2008, 12:41 PM
The door already is open...Look at the hinges on it.

I never said it wasn't open. I said it will no longer open all the way.

ChiefsCountry
08-25-2008, 12:45 PM
I got that exact tv, expect for mine isnt stuck in a hole in the wall.

Fat Elvis
08-25-2008, 01:07 PM

Like they've thought this whole process through.....

Fat Elvis
08-25-2008, 01:08 PM
If they had a rear mounted projector, it would be kinda cool.....a rear projection TV, not so much.

Valiant
08-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Except for the ginormous hole in the middle of the F-ing wall that will cost as much to repair when the TV goes out as buying an LCD would have.

Really??? Most mean could fix that for under a 100$..

And do we know when the photo was taken?? Lots of people hid their big screens back in the day before flat panels came out.. Hell they have not sold rear projections like that for a bit now..

Valiant
08-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Installing new drywall and patching in a hole like that and making it look good are two completely different things. That wall will never be the same.

I question your ability in patching..

Demonpenz
08-25-2008, 03:01 PM
I knew people who did something similar but the backside didn't look so aweful

Valiant
08-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Tv gets good ventilation at least..

Bugeater
08-25-2008, 03:20 PM
I question your ability in patching..

Sure, I could patch it and make appear OK, but unless I float out nearly the entire wall there's going to be a high spot all around the perimeter of the patched area where it will have to be taped and mudded. Also, the baseboard will have to be pulled to tape the bottom edge of the hole, and when it's re-installed it will likely not sit flush against the wall. And who knows what kind of issues may lurk with the framing they removed...trust me I've had to fix plenty of stupid shit like this over the years and it is just never the same.

Baby Lee
08-25-2008, 03:26 PM
I did one worse, I built an MDF enclosure that puts all my gear above the Display

Valiant
08-25-2008, 03:33 PM
I did one worse, I built an MDF enclosure that puts all my gear above the Display

How many 100 disc cd players does on need.. And then tape decks..

Baby Lee
08-25-2008, 03:36 PM
How many 100 disc cd players does on need.. And then tape decks..

Those are 400 Disc Changers sir!!
And evidently I need more as I have about 500 more not stored on a carousel.
And tape deck, not decks. A three head, ceramic cradle, ES unit, that I got for all of $5 at a flea market. Considering it was like $450 MSRP. . .
The rest is a SACD/DVD player, a Mini-Disc deck and a clock, . . . errrr VCR [which is still in there because, a) it works, and b) the clock].
The HD satellite receiver has been replaced with the ViP HD-DVR.

Oh, and my 777-ES leviathan of a receiver.

OnTheWarpath15
08-25-2008, 03:56 PM
I hope that's not a load bearing wall.

I hope it is.

joesomebody
08-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Those are 400 Disc Changers sir!!
And evidently I need more as I have about 500 more not stored on a carousel.
Ouch, I think you need a cheap arse computer and an external harddrive. Much faster and easier to organize music I would think. For that matter, just get a 40 or so gig MP3 player with a remote and dock.

Also, the redneck should have saved his PBR cans and bought this today,
http://www.woot.com/

Note, that link will only show the tv I'm referring to today, as tomorrow they'll have some other crazy item for sale.

Baby Lee
08-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Ouch, I think you need a cheap arse computer and an external harddrive. Much faster and easier to organize music I would think. For that matter, just get a 40 or so gig MP3 player with a remote and dock.

Also, the redneck should have saved his PBR cans and bought this today,
http://www.woot.com/

Note, that link will only show the tv I'm referring to today, as tomorrow they'll have some other crazy item for sale.

Yeah, but as the digital media has come around, my listening has decreased. More time with TV, Howard, NPR, or the rest of Sirius' lineup.
If I do sit down for 'critical listening' it's usually SACD.

Time's Yours
08-25-2008, 04:07 PM
Lots of people hid their big screens back in the day before flat panels came out.. Hell they have not sold rear projections like that for a bit now..

I would love to know who you hang out with. Do you see the back of that TV in the other room???

But hey, if they can fix that hole for $100, I guess it wasn't a bad idea :rolleyes:

joesomebody
08-25-2008, 04:14 PM
I would love to know who you hang out with. Do you see the back of that TV in the other room???

But hey, if they can fix that hole for $100, I guess it wasn't a bad idea :rolleyes:Most of the old style big screens hidden in the wall like this I ever saw were usually in finished basements. Typically since it's a basement it was pretty easy to create a false wall with just enough space to creep back there and hook up wires.

Bugeater
08-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Most of the old style big screens hidden in the wall like this I ever saw were usually in finished basements. Typically since it's a basement it was pretty easy to create a false wall with just enough space to creep back there and hook up wires.

A while back I did a basement remodel for a guy with a TV like that, we just installed cabinets all around it to make it appear flush. Plus it made better use of the space than building a false wall.