PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Clark/Carl so cheap NFL forces them to spend money

MGRS13
08-25-2008, 11:21 AM
When the argument is made that a change in the system that currently pays huge windfalls to unproven rookies would create more cap money for payments to veteran players, one of the responses is that the owners aren’t currently spending the money they have, even with a rookie pay scale that causes the first 10 or so to earn huge contracts upon entrance to the NFL.

In this regard, those opposed to a rookie pay scale might have a point.

As of August 25, less than two weeks from the start of the season, several teams have tons of cap space.

Leading the way are the Chiefs, who have $31.9 million in cap room even after signing the No. 5 overall pick, defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, and the No. 15 overall pick, offensive lineman Brendan Albert.

The Bucs have $27.8 million, and the Packers have $24.7 million.

The full list for all 32 teams is right here.

These three teams will be required to use a considerable chunk of the cash surplus in order to meet the salary floor, the minimum spending requirement that applies to every team. This can be accomplished through extending contracts of key young players who have more than two NFL seasons. The Chiefs, for example, could chew up a bunch of cap space by signing linebacker Derrick Johnson to a long-term deal, and by paying him a large roster bonus.

The problem with using a roster bonus instead of a signing bonus is that roster bonuses aren’t subject to forfeiture, if the player later gets into trouble or holds out.

For the Chiefs, however, there might be no choice; money needs to be spent, and there frankly aren’t many young players on the team with at least two NFL seasons who are worthy of it.

No way I sign a long term deal with this team if I'm D.J. or Bowe. Tony has probably all ready taught these guys the lesson that the ring is the thing. If I'm a potential probowler on this team I just wait it out and sign with somebody who has a decent head coach and a savvy front office. (I'm probably giving these guys to much credit they are after all football players not doctors money talks and buys you bling.)

SAUTO
08-25-2008, 11:24 AM
we really need to lock up DJ and BOWE, money talks so if its enough they'll sign

L.A. Chieffan
08-25-2008, 11:24 AM
If they "have" to spend it anyways then what are they waiting for?

penguinz
08-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Dumb. A team should try to spend as little as possible as long as they are still fielding a competitive team.

cookster50
08-25-2008, 11:26 AM

Someone to spend it on?

MGRS13
08-25-2008, 11:26 AM

Clark didn't get rich by spending money, he got the old fashioned way. From his grandpa.

MGRS13
08-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Dumb. A team should try to spend as little as possible as long as they are still fielding a competitive team.

The NFLPA doesn't think so.

Bowser
08-25-2008, 11:27 AM

Sarcasm, as it relates to the Chiefs?

Zouk
08-25-2008, 11:28 AM
I think this guarantees that Damion McIntosh and Napoleon Harris won't be cut.

It's likely that Clark's cash flow issues related to the new Arrowhead factored into the decision to go extreme with the lack of veterans.

InChiefsHeaven
08-25-2008, 12:08 PM
I think this guarantees that Damion McIntosh and Napoleon Harris won't be cut.

It's likely that Clark's cash flow issues related to the new Arrowhead factored into the decision to go extreme with the lack of veterans.

I don't know if the salary cap can be used for Arrowhead expenses, so I don't think it's an issue...

ChiefsCountry
08-25-2008, 12:14 PM
I don't know if the salary cap can be used for Arrowhead expenses, so I don't think it's an issue...

Cash flow means signing bonsues and that comes out of Hunt's pocket which is where the Arrowhead renovations are coming from.

MGRS13
08-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Cash flow means signing bonsues and that comes out of Hunt's pocket which is where the Arrowhead renovations are coming from.Clarks pocket? You need to ask jackson county tax payers about that.

Bugeater
08-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Clarks pocket? You need to ask jackson county tax payers about that.
If you dig up an article regarding those renovations you'll see that the Hunts are kicking in a substantial amount as well.

RustShack
08-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Clarks pocket? You need to ask jackson county tax payers about that.

I think the Hunts paid a little more than any singe tax payer...

MGRS13
08-25-2008, 12:32 PM
They paid 75 mil the taxpayers paid 300 I think or more

ChiefsCountry
08-25-2008, 12:34 PM
They paid 75 mil the taxpayers paid 300 I think or more

Hunts put in 125, Jackson County 250.

Buehler445
08-25-2008, 12:35 PM
I try to put a couple of year extension on Croyle. That way if he steps up his play, he's not commanding a huge salary with a small body of work (Romo), and he'll be forced to be a backup then.

If DJ will sign, do it now.

I think after that, I watch the waiver wire and try to find a RT, maybe RG and as many LB as I can.

Maybe extend Kolby, Herb, and Niswanger if you HAVE to dump some cash.

The problem with having ass for a team is you have to pay someone.

Posted via Mobile Device

RustShack
08-25-2008, 12:36 PM
I love how people bitch about tax payers paying for part of it, when they could have voted against it and didn't.

MGRS13
08-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Hunts put in 125, Jackson County 250.
Yea I forgot they put that extra 50 in at the end. Hey I voted and pay for it. JUST dont want to pretend it is all coming out of the hunts pockets

MGRS13
08-25-2008, 12:39 PM
I love how people bitch about tax payers paying for part of it, when they could have voted against it and didn't.

A lot of people voted against it.

Bowser
08-25-2008, 01:11 PM

Uhh, who's bitching?

TrebMaxx
08-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Anybody know what the minimum spending requirement is?

DaneMcCloud
08-25-2008, 02:04 PM

Wrong.

A salary floor is necessary when there's a salary cap. Otherwise, owners would abuse it.

Bob Dole
08-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Anybody know what the minimum spending requirement is?

The floor will be 85.2% of the cap, or $98.8 million; the salary floor percentage will increase 1.2% per year until it reaches 90% of the cap in 2012

dirk digler
08-25-2008, 02:31 PM
The Chiefs might have out-cheaped the Royals which is pretty hard to do.

TrebMaxx
08-25-2008, 03:19 PM
The floor will be 85.2% of the cap, or $98.8 million; the salary floor percentage will increase 1.2% per year until it reaches 90% of the cap in 2012

Thank you!

Sfeihc
08-25-2008, 05:16 PM
The Hunts upped their share to $125 mil. for the Arrowhead project.

Micjones
08-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Signing DJ to an extension would be money well spent.

OnTheWarpath15
08-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Signing DJ to an extension would be money well spent.

As I pointed out in another thread, why would he want to sign an extension?

If I'm DJ, I'm counting the days to FA, knowing damn well that some team with more cash than common sense will overpay him by 50% or more. (Washington?)

He hasn't been a full-blown superstar, but as ridiculous as FA contracts get, he'll get paid like one.

Mecca
08-25-2008, 07:23 PM
As I pointed out in another thread, why would he want to sign an extension?

If I'm DJ, I'm counting the days to FA, knowing damn well that some team with more cash than common sense will overpay him by 50% or more. (Washington?)

He hasn't been a full-blown superstar, but as ridiculous as FA contracts get, he'll get paid like one.

Money talks.....offer him a deal where almost all of his guaranteed money is counted on this years cap, and his biggest base salaries are this year and next, it gives him what he wants and helps the Chiefs out.

Also with that much cap room that's all the more reason to cut guys like Harris and McIntosh we can take the cap hits they bring.

Personally I think they should do a quick contract restructure of LJ where alot of his guaranteed money is moved into this year, that would take the cap number higher and help the team out on his contract for the future.

KCTitus
08-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Is this the same Carl Peterson who used to overpay for every FA bust out there? Wow...what a switch.

OnTheWarpath15
08-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Money talks.....offer him a deal where almost all of his guaranteed money is counted on this years cap, and his biggest base salaries are this year and next, it gives him what he wants and helps the Chiefs out.

Also with that much cap room that's all the more reason to cut guys like Harris and McIntosh we can take the cap hits they bring.

Personally I think they should do a quick contract restructure of LJ where alot of his guaranteed money is moved into this year, that would take the cap number higher and help the team out on his contract for the future.

I expected this from someone else, but not you.

Would YOU do that if you're DJ? Be honest.

No way in hell you would. You'd test the FA waters, knowing that there are plenty of teams that overpay for positions of need.

I agree with cutting the dead weight and absorbing the cap hits while we have the room.

And I'm all for your idea on LJ, but he has to be willing to help the team out. Some of these guy are smart enough to prefer that guaranteed money to be spread out.

ChiefsCountry
08-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Honestly with DJ that isnt a bad idea. Now would he go for it, I have no idea.

Mecca
08-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Are you telling me he wouldn't take a check for 10 million dollars? That's all a restructure is, you tell LJ, we wanna give you this money now instead of later write him a check and that's that, then it's on this years cap, win win.

And I still believe with most players money talks, the Chiefs are in a position to give DJ a big contract that he would assuredly take that would also help the organization with how it could be done. If he's as important as people think just offer him something larger than Briggs contract and he'll probably take it...

OnTheWarpath15
08-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Are you telling me he wouldn't take a check for 10 million dollars? That's all a restructure is, you tell LJ, we wanna give you this money now instead of later write him a check and that's that, then it's on this years cap, win win.

And I still believe with most players money talks, the Chiefs are in a position to give DJ a big contract that he would assuredly take that would also help the organization with how it could be done. If he's as important as people think just offer him something larger than Briggs contract and he'll probably take it...

Would you give up another X amount of years from FA, for less money?

Because the Chiefs can't compete with what he's going to expect on the open market.

Are you content with overpaying him, by a large margin, just to lock him up? Is he worth it?

Christ, we gave that garbage heap Harris 6years/$24M/$7.5 Guaranteed.

What do you think the open market will give DJ?

Sadly, probably quite a bit more than Briggs got.

morphius
08-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Sadly, I can't even think of anyone on this team I want to dump money on. DJ is okay, but outside of him, most of the vets are pretty much eh.

I remember back when we were making fun of Brown for putting cheap crap on the field, now Hunt and the Chiefs are that team.

The good thing is, if this season is a failure, and Hunt actually gets rid of Carl and Herm, the next GM will be have immediate cap space to build a team.

ChiefsCountry
08-25-2008, 08:02 PM

Because the Chiefs can't compete with what he's going to expect on the open market.

Are you content with overpaying him, by a large margin, just to lock him up? Is he worth it?

DJ wouldnt see the open market, they would slap the franchise tag on him.

Mecca
08-25-2008, 08:02 PM

I'm just going to say this straight up, DJ plays a devalued position, over the course of their careers, Briggs has been better even going to the Pro Bowl yet on the open market, he didn't generate that much interest or great offers so much so he went back to the best offer from his original team the Bears, who at one point he said he'd never play for again.

DJ is a OLB not a DE or a CB.

Cormac
08-25-2008, 08:13 PM
The salary cap has now officially become irrelevant. Salaries are taking off again as though there is no cap.

When you have to throw huge money at undeserving players it might be worse than having no cap. What do we do next year if we throw $10-12m at DJ this year. We'll have to throw similar money at somebody else to solve that year's cap floor problem?

The whole situation is a joke because it all comes back on fans (ticket prices, parking and Sunday Ticket subscriptions etc....)

Mecca
08-25-2008, 08:15 PM
We only have this problem because we lack good players, if you have alot of good players you never have this issue.

Not to mention we'll be adding a giant rookie contract next year, I'd also expect a bit more FA activity from the Chiefs after this season.

Logical
08-25-2008, 08:24 PM
The Chiefs might have out-cheaped the Royals which is pretty hard to do.Wow :doh!:

Buehler445
08-25-2008, 08:34 PM

I'm all for all of this if it can happen.

Zouk
08-25-2008, 09:32 PM

Congratulations! You are now below the salary floor and are in for unholy punishment as per the CBA.

There's no way they can spend 6 plus million 2008 cap dollars in a week if they cut those guys. And what a terrible position to negotiate contract extensions from - having to spend X dollars by X date or else. It really makes no sense at all.

chiefsfan1963
08-26-2008, 01:42 AM
Looking forward to the end of the CP era and the end of the Herm era in the next couple of years.

O yeah Clark can you sell this team to an owner that has pride and wants to win multiple SB's in a decade? Thanks.

Rausch
08-26-2008, 06:34 AM
The good thing is, if this season is a failure, and Hunt actually gets rid of Carl and Herm, the next GM will be have immediate cap space to build a team.

And a solid foundation of talented young players.

NaptownChief
08-26-2008, 06:34 AM
This is a decent change of pace....If you are going to suck it stands to reason that you shouldn't be paying much to do it. As opposed to years gone by of paying a fair sum yet still sucking.

The Chiefs appear to be taking a page from the LA Clippers/Donald Sterling play book.

InChiefsHeaven
08-26-2008, 06:55 AM
DJ will go to the Pro Bowl this year, so of course we will trade him for more draft picks...that is all...

patteeu
08-26-2008, 08:25 AM
Wrong.

A salary floor is necessary when there's a salary cap. Otherwise, owners would abuse it.

I understand your point and I don't disagree with it, but forcing a team like the Chiefs to spend more money will put undeserved upward pressure on salaries across the NFL because they will be overpaying for the talent that they have.

I wonder what would happen if the NFL allowed teams to trade cap space the way they can currently trade cash, players, and draft picks.

patteeu
08-26-2008, 08:28 AM

Amen.

blueballs
08-26-2008, 10:16 AM
I think fans put more stock in getting a ring then players
players know they may be the only shot of setting up their families for decades
hard to believe there isn't some pressure there over the selfishness of a SB ring

blueballs
08-26-2008, 10:18 AM
lock up Colquitt
team MVP of the decade

triple
08-26-2008, 10:39 AM
i agree we should move most of larry johnson's money into this year so after the season we can trade him

Mr. Laz
08-26-2008, 11:48 AM
The Hunts upped their share to $125 mil. for the Arrowhead project.

yea ... but they are getting some of that money in return off the back end iirc.

i don't remember exactly what it was

something about the bonds that the taxpapers pay for ...... i believe the Chiefs get interest if the project gets down faster or something.

so by kicking in more money and get the project down faster the Chiefs will get a significant portion back i think.

something like that

InChiefsHeaven
08-26-2008, 12:23 PM
yea ... but they are getting some of that money in return off the back end iirc.

i don't remember exactly what it was

something about the bonds that the taxpapers pay for ...... i believe the Chiefs get interest if the project gets down faster or something.

so by kicking in more money and get the project down faster the Chiefs will get a significant portion back i think.

something like that

Good. Incentives are good.