PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Flanagan: Chiefs likely OK with blackout possibility this week

Tribal Warfare
08-25-2008, 11:35 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/766498.html

Chiefs likely OK with blackout possibility this week

A re Chiefs fans safe from the dreaded “blackout” word for this Thursday’s home game and preseason finale against the Rams?

It would appear.

“We can’t say anything for sure,” said Chiefs public-relations director Bob Moore, “but if nothing else changes in terms of the rate of ticket sales, we should be OK (for local television). The game is not sold out, but I think we’ll be OK.”

Moore said he didn’t know how many tickets have been sold for Thursday’s game but added that the game didn’t need to be completely sold out to be televised on Channel 5.

For the Chiefs’ previous preseason home game against Arizona, the team announced slightly more than 70,000 tickets sold (capacity with current construction is about 77,000). And that game was not blacked out.

Obviously the rules governing blackouts of preseason games are slightly different than for regular season games.

“In preseason, it’s more of an agreement between the teams and the local television stations,” Moore said. “We don’t have a deadline 72 hours prior to game time, like the league requires during the regular season.

“But then again, we don’t want to wait right until game time to make a decision to televise it, either. That wouldn’t be fair to local TV.”

Moore said a decision on televising the game probably will be made in the next 48 hours.

But Chiefs fans probably need to get used to hearing the word “blackout” when talking about television coverage as this season progresses.

The first two regular-season home games in September against Oakland and Denver would appear to be safe. But after that, home games with the Titans, Bucs, Saints, Bills, Chargers and Dolphins all could be in danger of being blacked out locally.

“We haven’t sold out Oakland and Denver, but those are our biggest rivals and we wouldn’t think that would be a problem,” Moore said. “It’s hard to say after that.

“It’s a tough economy, people are having to make hard decisions. But we’re obviously hopeful.”

Means nothing

We all know fans who get a little too excited when teams do well in preseason (hey, the Lions are 3-0!) or when their team struggles (Patriots are 0-3, think they’ll miss the playoffs?).

Perhaps with that in mind, the NFL Network points out that since 2005, the Colts have the NFL’s worst preseason record at 3-13. The Colts also happen to have the league’s best regular-season record, 39-9, during that span.

Parker cut

The Broncos have made their first cuts of the preseason and have let go former Chiefs receiver Samie Parker.

Parker played very little in preseason and had just one catch for 9 yards.

08-25-2008, 11:37 PM
I didn't think blackout rules applied to preseason games. wow

Chiefs Pantalones
08-25-2008, 11:55 PM
This is going to be a terrible year.

CoMoChief
08-26-2008, 12:00 AM
LONG LIVE CARL!!!!!!!!!!

CoMoChief
08-26-2008, 12:01 AM
**** IT WE NEED TO TRADE DERRICK JOHNSON FOR TAKEO SPIKES!!!!!!!!!!!

VETERAN PATCHWORK MUST NOT BE STOPPED!!!!!!!!

Mecca
08-26-2008, 12:10 AM
Takeo Spikes isn't even on a team....

Ah well all steps to the #1 pick.

08-26-2008, 12:16 AM
This thread will rule all the others. heh

KcMizzou
08-26-2008, 12:17 AM
That title is somewhat misleading...

08-26-2008, 12:18 AM
That title is somewhat misleading...

Misleading how? I thought it followed what the title said and was what I expected it to be.

Mecca
08-26-2008, 12:22 AM
I think he's saying it's misleading because at first I thought it was going to be about how the Chiefs were fine with the game being blacked out.

08-26-2008, 12:25 AM
I think he's saying it's misleading because at first I thought it was going to be about how the Chiefs were fine with the game being blacked out.
It's not really like they have a choice though.

kcxiv
08-26-2008, 12:26 AM
There will be games blacked out this year. If we cant score, folks will be listening to Mitch and Len this year more then ever. lol

Bugeater
08-26-2008, 12:52 AM
That's what I thought it meant too.

Bugeater
08-26-2008, 12:52 AM
It's not really like they have a choice though.

That was my second thought when I read the thread title.

08-26-2008, 12:56 AM
There will be games blacked out this year. If we cant score, folks will be listening to Mitch and Len this year more then ever. lol

and watching it all playout after the fact on SOPcast.

kcxiv
08-26-2008, 12:59 AM
and watching it all playout after the fact on SOPcast.

Well one of the benefits of me living in Cali as they dont apply to me.

ChiefJustice
08-26-2008, 01:07 AM
“It’s a tough economy, people are having to make hard decisions. But we’re obviously hopeful.”

Yes,I am sure that is why fewer people will be attending games this year.ROFL

08-26-2008, 01:09 AM

Chiefs spin machine hard at work.

JuicesFlowing
08-26-2008, 01:27 AM

Exactly. The economy could be worse, but as long as the Chiefs are winning, tickets are selling ....

Redrum_69
08-26-2008, 05:38 AM
WHO THE HELL CARES!!

Best part of the whole thread....

Parker cut

The Broncos have made their first cuts of the preseason and have let go former Chiefs receiver Samie Parker.

MGRS13
08-26-2008, 08:43 AM
WHO THE HELL CARES!!

Best part of the whole thread....

Parker cut

So what you are saying is Parker is one catch and 9 yards better then "Football Jesus"

BigChiefFan
08-26-2008, 08:44 AM
I hate to say this, but I'm glad, maybe ownership will wake up and take notice that the fans are sick of just going through the motions.

Skip Towne
08-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Unless we start winning immediately you may as well figure on blackouts. Some of you might want to come on down and watch the games with me. But not even that is a sure thing. We didn't get to see the last 6 games last year because we were so shitty. Thanks Herm.

the Talking Can
08-26-2008, 09:04 AM
worst headline ever?

"chiefs are fine with a blackout" is how i read that...

boogblaster
08-26-2008, 09:04 AM
They better show me the game or Im goin' Postal ....

Bugeater
08-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Unless we start winning immediately you may as well figure on blackouts. Some of you might want to come on down and watch the games with me. But not even that is a sure thing. We didn't get to see the last 6 games last year because we were so shitty. Thanks Herm.
What the hell? You don't have the Sunday Ticket?

Mr. Plow
08-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Parker is available? SWEET!

beavis
08-26-2008, 09:16 AM
I love it... beginning of the end for Carl. We can only hope.

Rausch
08-26-2008, 09:19 AM
“We haven’t sold out Oakland and Denver, but those are our biggest rivals and we wouldn’t think that would be a problem,” Moore said.

If you can't even sell out for Oakland and Denver you have some serious ****ing problems...

Reerun_KC
08-26-2008, 09:20 AM
I have sunday ticket here in OKC... I still cant believe they are blacking out PRESEASON Games!!!

that is priceless.... How can people resist Herm's exciting style of 1980's football?

Reerun_KC
08-26-2008, 09:21 AM
If you can't even sell out for Oakland and Denver you have some serious ****ing problems...

I thought Herm was restoring that CHIEFS PRIDE?

MGRS13
08-26-2008, 09:22 AM
I have sunday ticket here in OKC... I still cant believe they are blacking out PRESEASON Games!!!

that is priceless.... How can people resist Herm's exciting style of 1980's football?

80's? u need to subtract about 30 years.

OnTheWarpath15
08-26-2008, 09:22 AM

You can still get a pair in the lower level for the opener, according to Ticketmaster...

Skip Towne
08-26-2008, 09:27 AM
What the hell? You don't have the Sunday Ticket?

Nope. I never needed it until Herm showed up.

Reerun_KC
08-26-2008, 09:32 AM
80's? u need to subtract about 30 years.
Okay I was trying to be generous....

Reerun_KC
08-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Nope. I never needed it until Herm showed up.
Same here in OKC, They said TV ratings for the Chiefs here dropped so much they pulled the plug.

We dont even get the preseason games live here anymore, Up until 2 years ago we were getting all the game...

NOW we are stuck with Dallas and Denver... ROFL

Rausch
08-26-2008, 09:36 AM
You can still get a pair in the lower level for the opener, according to Ticketmaster...

The second I did work would toss me on some bidge duty OT...

Skip Towne
08-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Same here in OKC, They said TV ratings for the Chiefs here dropped so much they pulled the plug.

We dont even get the preseason games live here anymore, Up until 2 years ago we were getting all the game...

NOW we are stuck with Dallas and Denver... ROFL

We get all the preseason games on CBS alternate ch.19. The regular CBS channel is ch.6 which is a sister station to your ch.9 I believe. Doesn't ch. 9 have an altenate like we do?