PDA

View Full Version : Misc Hurricane Gustav

Pages : [1] 2

Donger
08-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Forecasted to be a major hurricane in the Gulf by Sunday.

Donger
08-26-2008, 10:54 AM

Iowanian
08-26-2008, 10:56 AM
We'd better hurry up and raise Gas $.50, just in case.

Nightfyre
08-26-2008, 10:58 AM
New Orleans is going, "Not this shit again!'

OnTheWarpath15
08-26-2008, 10:59 AM
New Orleans is going, "Not this shit again!'

At least this time they know they won't get any help from the government until October...

Nightfyre
08-26-2008, 11:00 AM
At least this time they know they won't get any help from the government until October...

Maybe everyone will actually GTFO when they are told to.

Donger
08-26-2008, 11:01 AM
We'd better hurry up and raise Gas $.50, just in case.

Crude will go up, sure.

OnTheWarpath15
08-26-2008, 11:03 AM

Agreed. But STILL won't happen. Never does.

Nightfyre
08-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Agreed. But STILL won't happen. Never does.

"Hey guys, let's ignore the warnings and stay here so we can endanger rescue workers later on!" Brilliant. :shake:

Reerun_KC
08-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Damn that one is going to be a monster!

Fire Me Boy!
08-26-2008, 11:09 AM
I just put some webcams on our site's hurricane tracker... http://www.wmbfnews.com/Global/category.asp?C=137848&nav=menu675_3_1

BigCatDaddy
08-26-2008, 11:10 AM
WTH type of name for a Hurricane is Gustav? If we are going foreign, let's at least call it something cool like Ivan Drago.

Donger
08-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Models:

Fire Me Boy!
08-26-2008, 11:11 AM
WTH type of name for a Hurricane is Gustav? If we are going foreign, let's at least call it something cool like Ivan Drago.

It will break you.

Reerun_KC
Kick his ass Sea Bass!

Reerun_KC
I would like to see it just **** up New Orleans again....

J Diddy
08-26-2008, 11:13 AM
It will break you.
ROFL

OnTheWarpath15
08-26-2008, 11:13 AM
"Hey guys, let's ignore the warnings and stay here so we can endanger rescue workers later on!" Brilliant. :shake:

Not saying it's right, but it's what happens, every storm, every state effected.

I've never been in the position to make that kind of a decision.

Common sense tells you to GTFO, but a lot of people don't have much in the common sense department. Seems to me that most of the people that stya behind do so for two reasons:

They have nowhere to go, or no way to get there.

Or they are staying to try to protect what little property they have from being looted/destroyed AFTER the storm.

Bob Dole
08-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Not saying it's right, but it's what happens, every storm, every state effected.

Common sense tells you to GTFO, but a lot of people don't have much in the common sense department. Seems to me that most of the people that stya behind do so for two reasons:

They have nowhere to go, or now way to get there.

Or they are staying to try to protect what little property they have from being looted/destroyed AFTER the storm.

Bob Dole is just shooting for a free trailer this time around. Bob Dole completely missed out on the last windfall.

Dartgod
08-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Seems to me that most of the people that stya behind do so for two reasons:

You forgot one reason.

They are staying to loot the property of the people that did have the common sense to get out.

Nightfyre
08-26-2008, 11:21 AM
You forgot one reason.

They are staying to loot the property of the people that did have the common sense to get out.
"This was a great idea until the fifteen feet of flooding."

bringbackmarty
08-26-2008, 11:25 AM

The people that stayed did so for the most part because they had nowhere to go, and no car to get them there. Most went to the superdome like they were told, and look what happened there. Those few who stayed to protect their stuff, were no burden on the system because they were prepared for the worst.

There were many federally funded studies published in the years prior to Katrina which predicted the consequences of not providing a way out for those unable to arrange for transport within the framework of the cities evacuation plan. There were no surprises with this storm, other than the feds taking two weeks to get in there and start really doing anything, Nagin not having a plan, and Blanco acting like a whiny partisan bitch didn't help either.

It's on the leadership, not the people I'm afraid.

oldandslow
08-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Crude will go up, sure.

Probably...

On the other hand gasoline reserves are really low right now. If Gustov were to hit the refineries on the Texas coast, the cost of gasoline would skyrocket, however, the price of oil might be mitagated because of the lack of operational refineries.

What am I saying...both will probably go sky high.

Friendo
08-26-2008, 11:31 AM
let's go kite-surfing!

Bob Dole
08-26-2008, 11:31 AM
The people that stayed did so for the most part because they had nowhere to go, and no car to get them there. Most went to the superdome like they were told, and look what happened there. Those few who stayed to protect their stuff, were no burden on the system because they were prepared for the worst.

There were many federally funded studies published in the years prior to Katrina which predicted the consequences of not providing a way out for those unable to arrange for transport within the framework of the cities evacuation plan. There were no surprises with this storm, other than the feds taking two weeks to get in there and start really doing anything, Nagin not having a plan, and Blanco acting like a whiny partisan bitch didn't help either.

It's also a lot easier to point fingers and whine than it is to help yourself.

Or are you suggesting that all the people affected by this year's midwest flooding were rich?

gblowfish
08-26-2008, 11:47 AM
I bet gas goes up by at least .50 a gallon in the next two weeks, with Labor Day and now this.

We'll lose all the alleged "gains" over the past few weeks. I hate paying $3.60 a gallon and think I'm getting a "deal", but that's better than $4.10 for sure.

Redrum_69
08-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Since when did Katie Horner transfer over to the Hurrican Warning System?

jjchieffan
08-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Labor day weekend? Isn't that when Katrina hit?

kepp
08-26-2008, 12:16 PM
let's go kite-surfing!

ROFL

Stinger
08-26-2008, 12:28 PM
let's go kite-surfing!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Frazod
08-26-2008, 12:29 PM
Every time the price of oil goes up, Donger gets wood.

LOCOChief
08-26-2008, 12:29 PM
I hope this one gets Ray Nagan and Cynthia Mckinney and puts them out of commision perminantly

LOCOChief
08-26-2008, 12:31 PM

Not in SW FL, we're ready, always are, and we take care of our own.

bogey
08-26-2008, 12:34 PM

It's his G spot.

Donger
08-26-2008, 12:41 PM

The olive oil is heated up and waiting. It'll be a good, "there's nobody in the house" jerk.

"Scream all you want! Nobody is going to hear!"

keg in kc
08-26-2008, 12:44 PM
The olive oil is heated up and waiting. It'll be a good, "there's nobody in the house" jerk.

"Scream all you want! Nobody is going to hear!"Well, I guess I won't be calling out for italian after all. I think I'll just poke my eyes out and walk towards the traffic sounds outside.

Donger
08-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Well, I guess I won't be calling out for italian after all. I think I'll just poke my eyes out and walk towards the traffic sounds outside.

ROFL

Stinger
08-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Not to make this political but some models have this hitting possibly on Monday. Can you imagine the news coverage if ,and I repeat IF, this hits New Orleans on Monday the First day of the Republican Convention. Just a side thought....

keg in kc
08-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Not to make this political but some models have this hitting possibly on Monday. Can you imagine the news coverage if ,and I repeat IF, this hits New Orleans on Monday the First day of the Republican Convention. Just a side thought....It's those damned liberal weather patterns.

Reerun_KC
08-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Not to make this political but some models have this hitting possibly on Monday. Can you imagine the news coverage if ,and I repeat IF, this hits New Orleans on Monday the First day of the Republican Convention. Just a side thought....
Bush's Fault.....

beach tribe
08-26-2008, 01:48 PM
I hope this one gets Ray Nagan and Cynthia Mckinney and puts them out of commision perminantly

I'll never forget seeing Ray Nagan on TV "reading" the evacuation speech, and realizing.......this guy can't even ****ing read. My whole family laughed as a mayor read like a 2nd grader. Good lord.

Do you guys know anything about the mayor of Memphis? That is some funny shit too.

BWillie
08-26-2008, 01:49 PM

Shit happens. Get over it. Blaming the government is just stupid. If you see a hurricane coming, well use your own freaking judgement instead of letting the government hold ur lil hand along the entire way.

MIAdragon
08-26-2008, 02:07 PM
"Hey guys, let's ignore the warnings and stay here so we can steal, loot and damage a bunch of other people stuff AND endanger rescue workers later on!" Brilliant. :shake:

FYP.

Deberg_1990
08-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Shit happens. Get over it. Blaming the government is just stupid. If you see a hurricane coming, well use your own freaking judgement instead of letting the government hold ur lil hand along the entire way.

Oh come on....

Why take personal responsibility when you can always blame Uncle Sam?? :)

Skip Towne
08-26-2008, 02:41 PM
We never get any hurricanes here in Oklahoma. And we could use the rain.

gblowfish
08-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Return of the beer looter!!! YAY!!!!

teedubya
08-26-2008, 02:54 PM
As long as there is Heineken

http://www.davidduke.com/images/heinekenad1.jpg

chiefs1111
08-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Bush's Fault.....

Actually you have it wrong,It's Carl Peterson's fault....

BWillie
08-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Man, I'm going to get so many third party tree claims when this thing slams into the coast. F*** Me.

ChiefGator
08-26-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm not one to usually sit here and call people out, but many on this thread are being perfect asses. I've seen many a hurricane disaster area, but New Orleans was unlike anything before. Usually there is a large region affected with strong winds, and perhaps a small section wiped out (at least in these types of storms which already ranked in the top 10 strongest and deadliest hurricanes). But, you can still 'hunker down' and survive usually. Especially when you are dirt ass poor and live in a city which has been corrupt for a hundred years, and whose schools do one of the worst jobs of preparing people for working in the real world.

If the hurricane impact was the only factor, we would have been mourning the losses in Mississippi more. But, the god damn levees in Louisiana broke. Wonder who maintains the levees? The poor folks of New Orleans or the govt. And then the government was caught completely with its pants down. When a disaster of this magnitude strikes (which rivals 9-11), this is exactly what we have all paid our taxes for.

But it's more fun to blame the victims and call them ignorant I guess.

Donger
08-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Updated 5 day forecast:

Reerun_KC
08-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Nah ChiefsGator, New Orleans, LA and the rest of the freaking state is no better than a 3rd world country...

They are dragging down the country...

Stryker
08-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Nah ChiefsGator, New Orleans, LA and the rest of the freaking state is no better than a 3rd world country...

They are dragging down the country...

3rd world country? Dragging down the rest of the country? Oh please explain. I was born in New Orleans and live in Baton Rouge. I am college educated from LSU and hold a very nice job. I pay my taxes and live in a five bedroom house on 20 acres of land. I have a beautiful wife and 2 kids. Do I think New Orleans was corrupt? Absolutely. However, cities in other states have it worse. To wish tragedy on a city or state is very disturbing. You are an asshole!

Ultra Peanut
08-27-2008, 05:51 PM
But it's more fun to blame the victims and call them ignorant I guess.B-b-b-b-but they could have just conjured up a vehicle out of thin air and INVENTED some place to spend a week or more!

They are dragging down the country...YOU ARE FROM OKLAHOMA

DJJasonp
08-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Considering I'll be (maybe) in Cancun (Playa Del Carmen to be exact) for my honeymoon this coming Monday....

This has me very concerned. Hopefully it's passed by Sunday....and I get a lucky 7 "hurricane-free" days....

stay tuned...

Skip Towne
08-27-2008, 06:11 PM
B-b-b-b-but they could have just conjured up a vehicle out of thin air and INVENTED some place to spend a week or more!

YOU ARE FROM OKLAHOMA

YOU ARE FROM MEMPHIS. YOUR MAYOR CAN'T READ.

Ultra Peanut
08-27-2008, 06:16 PM
YOU ARE FROM MEMPHIS. YOUR MAYOR CAN'T READ.Your libelous remark has been forwarded to King Willie's office.

jjchieffan
08-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Cable contractors are gearing up already. There is a site that I go to when I am looking for work. There are 3 ads posted already, and they don't even know for sure where it will hit or how strong it will be.

Nzoner
08-27-2008, 07:52 PM
If it's going to slam N'Awlins again I sure hope the hell the Saints blow up like they did 2 seasons ago,I drafted Brees with my 2nd pick in one of my leagues last week.

CoMoChief
08-27-2008, 07:54 PM
:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

I work Louisiana Auto claims...........**** **** **** ****

I'm taking off all of next week.

badgirl
08-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Looks like there is a possibility of it hitting Mobile, where my sister lives, I think I will give her a call tomorrow and see what they are saying down there.

Wish I was there:shake:

It was kind of exciting when I went down there and hurricane Dennis hit and i was there, they were saying it was going to come right into the mobile bay, but it moved east just a bit before it made landfall, Mobile Co. was evacuated. I left and about 2 weeks later Katrina hit.

08-27-2008, 09:47 PM
I just put some webcams on our site's hurricane tracker... http://www.wmbfnews.com/Global/category.asp?C=137848&nav=menu675_3_1
Is Katie Morgan enjoying it?

jagerdrinker
08-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Here in Pensacola, everyone is freaking out about it. I've heard that New Orleans has already had 7,000 people register for bus rides out. I keep hearing stories from people who have uncles and brothers that fly on hurricane hunters saying that this storm has potential, but so far it just looks like it's lingering around and doesn't have enough outflow to really pop until it clears Jamaica. Once it rounds that corner, anything is possible when it hits the Gulf of Mexico. The Gulf is definitely warm enough to pump this storm into a Cat 5 if conditions are right.

We took a direct hit from Dennis here in Pace, FL (just a bit to the northeast of Pensacola), but it was so small and moved so fast that it only lasted about 40 minutes. I can't imagine what Ivan was like...lasting 12 hours+. Mobile won't be bad, I don't think. Remember, it's always the worst to the Northeast quadrant of the storm...that's where everything happens that you don't want to be in.

Looks like there is a possibility of it hitting Mobile, where my sister lives, I think I will give her a call tomorrow and see what they are saying down there.

Wish I was there:shake:

It was kind of exciting when I went down there and hurricane Dennis hit and i was there, they were saying it was going to come right into the mobile bay, but it moved east just a bit before it made landfall, Mobile Co. was evacuated. I left and about 2 weeks later Katrina hit.

BWillie
08-27-2008, 09:58 PM
I am being deployed there for work on Saturday. Maybe you'll see me on the news giving a teddy bear to a little kid without a house.

08-27-2008, 10:04 PM
I am being deployed there for work on Saturday. Maybe you'll see me on the news giving a teddy bear to a little kid without a house.
Wear your Chiefs hat so we will know.

badgirl
08-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Here in Pensacola, everyone is freaking out about it. I've heard that New Orleans has already had 7,000 people register for bus rides out. I keep hearing stories from people who have uncles and brothers that fly on hurricane hunters saying that this storm has potential, but so far it just looks like it's lingering around and doesn't have enough outflow to really pop until it clears Jamaica. Once it rounds that corner, anything is possible when it hits the Gulf of Mexico. The Gulf is definitely warm enough to pump this storm into a Cat 5 if conditions are right.

We took a direct hit from Dennis here in Pace, FL (just a bit to the northeast of Pensacola), but it was so small and moved so fast that it only lasted about 40 minutes. I can't imagine what Ivan was like...lasting 12 hours+. Mobile won't be bad, I don't think. Remember, it's always the worst to the Northeast quadrant of the storm...that's where everything happens that you don't want to be in.

Yea I remember Dennis took a eastern turn right at the last minute, it wasn't too bad where I was at, nothing like they had predicted, they were saying if dennis came into the mobile bay it would flood mobile. They closed the doors on the tunnel and had all 4 lanes of 65 going north.

ChiefGator
08-28-2008, 06:48 AM
Even though this is only a depression, this one has me worried. I've been watching it since it came off the coast of Sahara thinking they might all turn into hurricanes. Hopefully the forecasters are wrong on this one, but the way Fay suddenly turned probably means this one won't wander off to the North. Miami betta watch out...

DaFace
08-28-2008, 06:58 AM

They were saying in the news that the Republican party is trying to work out contingency plans in case it hits hard. They don't want to have a situation where the Democrats can portray McCain being "busy" while it hits like Bush was.

Ultra Peanut
08-28-2008, 07:13 AM
They were saying in the news that the Republican party is trying to work out contingency plans in case it hits hard. They don't want to have a situation where the Democrats can portray McCain being "busy" while it hits like Bush was.http://i37.tinypic.com/knm7k.jpg

oldandslow
08-28-2008, 08:19 AM
What is uglier is this...

2 at the same time...

Donger
08-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Tracking west:

ottawa_chiefs_fan
08-28-2008, 08:36 AM
mmmmmmmmmm....two at the same time......

Donger
08-28-2008, 08:38 AM
What is uglier is this...

2 at the same time...

They are both pointing to Denver?! Is it a sign?

oldandslow
08-28-2008, 08:44 AM
That gustov is tracking west is bad news. I was hoping it would hit the cuban mnts as a low level hurricane and become disorganized.

That it didn't is not good for the gulf coast and our gasoline prices.

Donger
08-28-2008, 08:46 AM
That gustov is tracking west is bad news. I was hoping it would hit the cuban mnts as a low level hurricane and become disorganized.

That it didn't is not good for the gulf coast and our gasoline prices.

Yep. Crude approaching $120

chasedude
08-28-2008, 09:00 AM
This is looking really bad. I don't like the way this is tracking.

oldandslow
08-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Tropical depression 8 just became Tropical Storm Hanna....

From the looks of things, the Gustav/Hanna ticket might just take the southern states......

Bob Dole
08-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Bob Dole should probably drive down after work Friday and pick up some of those poor people that just can't possibly get away from the coast by themselves.

MOhillbilly
08-28-2008, 09:58 AM
wonder what the pucker factor is for the folks that rebuilt the levy system.

Frazod
08-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Yep. Crude approaching $120

PBJ

Bugeater
08-28-2008, 10:06 AM
wonder what the pucker factor is for the folks that rebuilt the levy system.

I swear to god if that town floods again they'd better just bulldoze the place this time.

gblowfish
08-28-2008, 10:07 AM
I swear to god if that town floods again they'd better just bulldoze the place this time.

After the Beer Looter dude gets his shot at the French Quarter....

MOhillbilly
08-28-2008, 10:13 AM
you know that aint gonna happen(BULDOZERS) and if it does there will just be more finger pointing.

oldandslow
08-28-2008, 10:16 AM

Yup.

Keep the port (it can be run by 10,000 or so people) - and move everyone else upstream.

Turn the rest into federal wetlands.

Bob Dole
08-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Yup.

Keep the port (it can be run by 10,000 or so people) - and move everyone else upstream.

Turn the rest into federal wetlands.

Bob Dole inherited enough of them the last time around. Maybe you should just invite them to your neighborhood.

Frazod
08-28-2008, 10:27 AM

All the other kings said I was daft to build a castle in the swamp, but I built it anyway, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second - that sank into the swamp. So I built a third - that one burned down, fell over and then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up!

Bob Dole
08-28-2008, 10:29 AM
All the other kings said I was daft to build a castle in the swamp, but I built it anyway, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second - that sank into the swamp. So I built a third - that one burned down, fell over and then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up!

Makes perfect sense when it's built using other people's money.

stumppy
08-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Bob Dole should probably drive down after work Friday and pick up some of those poor people that just can't possibly get away from the coast by themselves.

Why would you want to show up that early ? You should wait until Monday night. None of them will be ready to leave before then.

Stinger
08-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Why would you want to show up that early ?

2 Words

French Quarter

stumppy
08-28-2008, 10:32 AM
2 Words

French Quarter

DOH !

I guess he could spend the weekend there then load em up on Monday.

Nightfyre
08-28-2008, 11:50 AM

She's got HUUUUUGE.... tracts of lands!

Skip Towne
08-28-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm gona go down there and get me a new TV.

evolve27
08-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Usain Bolt was bred to run away from hurricanes.

stumppy
08-28-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm gona go down there and get me a new TV.

If you wait until Wed. you'll get to swim in the worlds largest bowl of gumbo. Nasty, crappy, **itty gumbo.

teedubya
08-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Maybe Kansas City can get the Hornets this time!!!

Donger
08-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Updated 5 day. Moving back toward NOLA.

Bugeater
08-28-2008, 04:08 PM
No need to worry about gas prices, everything will be okaaayyyy....

http://money.cnn.com/2008/08/28/news/economy/oil_gulf_infrastructure/index.htm

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- With Tropical Storm Gustav setting its sights on the Gulf of Mexico, oil facilities in the region are facing their first major threat since 2005, when Hurricanes Rita and Katrina knocked out nearly every barrel of oil production and sent prices soaring to then-record levels.

But this time around, if Gustav intensifies and heads into the Gulf as expected, experts say reinforcements have made production far less vulnerable than it was three years ago.

Drilling rigs and production platforms moored to sea floor in the Gulf had been attached with eight lines, and are now required to be moored with 12 to 16 lines.

New rigs were built higher above the water, and old rigs were strengthened, according to Andy Radford, a policy advisor at the American Petroleum Institute.

And pipelines, which carry most of the oil and gas from the production platforms to the shore, now have to be buried deeper beneath the sea floor, said Barbara Shook, a Houston-based analyst with the Energy Intelligence Group.

"The industry is probably in the best shape it's ever been in because of what they've learned over the last few years," said Shook.

Anyone who buys gasoline better hope so.

At 1.3 million barrels a day, the Gulf is home to over a quarter of the oil produced in the United States, according to the Energy Information Administration. Plus, it accounts for over 10% of the country's natural gas production.

When Hurricane Katrina roared through as a Category 5 storm in late August 2005, it ripped up pipelines and battered production platforms through out most of the Gulf.

But more than offshore oil platforms are at risk.

Upon making landfall, even as a Category 3, Katrina caused considerable damage to the many refineries in the region. It also disrupted crude imports - the Gulf of Mexico houses the country's only deep water port for imported oil.

As a result of all the disruptions, gasoline prices surged.

Gas went from a national average of $2.62 a gallon at the end of August to over $3.08 a gallon week later, a nearly 18% jump.

A similar surge now would send gas prices to nearly $4.40 a gallon, well past the previous record of $4.11 a gallon set in July and erasing all the declines seen over the last few weeks as traders talked of falling demand and a slowing economy.

Fortunately for motorists, traders don't think that will happen this time around.

"There's been a a lot of work on the rigs, and the outlook is that it won't be that bad, even if it is a terrible storm," Ray Carbone, a broker and trader at Paramount Options, told CNNMoney.com from the New York Mercantile Exchange.

As of midday Thursday, with Gustav still well south of the Gulf off the coast of Jamaica, oil prices were down sharply, trading around $115 a barrel. The storm isn't expected to make landfall in the United States until early next week.

Even if it is a worst-case scenario storm, Carbone said he thinks oil would have a hard time passing its previous record of $147.27 a barrel.

But as Shook points out, there's only so much companies can do to prepare for a Category 5 storm, and at some point all production is vulnerable no matter how many reinforcements have been made.

chasedude
08-28-2008, 05:43 PM
No need to worry about gas prices, everything will be okaaayyyy....

http://money.cnn.com/2008/08/28/news/economy/oil_gulf_infrastructure/index.htm

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- With Tropical Storm Gustav setting its sights on the Gulf of Mexico, oil facilities in the region are facing their first major threat since 2005, when Hurricanes Rita and Katrina knocked out nearly every barrel of oil production and sent prices soaring to then-record levels.

But this time around, if Gustav intensifies and heads into the Gulf as expected, experts say reinforcements have made production far less vulnerable than it was three years ago.

Drilling rigs and production platforms moored to sea floor in the Gulf had been attached with eight lines, and are now required to be moored with 12 to 16 lines.

New rigs were built higher above the water, and old rigs were strengthened, according to Andy Radford, a policy advisor at the American Petroleum Institute.

And pipelines, which carry most of the oil and gas from the production platforms to the shore, now have to be buried deeper beneath the sea floor, said Barbara Shook, a Houston-based analyst with the Energy Intelligence Group.

"The industry is probably in the best shape it's ever been in because of what they've learned over the last few years," said Shook.

Anyone who buys gasoline better hope so.

At 1.3 million barrels a day, the Gulf is home to over a quarter of the oil produced in the United States, according to the Energy Information Administration. Plus, it accounts for over 10% of the country's natural gas production.

When Hurricane Katrina roared through as a Category 5 storm in late August 2005, it ripped up pipelines and battered production platforms through out most of the Gulf.

But more than offshore oil platforms are at risk.

Upon making landfall, even as a Category 3, Katrina caused considerable damage to the many refineries in the region. It also disrupted crude imports - the Gulf of Mexico houses the country's only deep water port for imported oil.

As a result of all the disruptions, gasoline prices surged.

Gas went from a national average of $2.62 a gallon at the end of August to over $3.08 a gallon week later, a nearly 18% jump.

A similar surge now would send gas prices to nearly $4.40 a gallon, well past the previous record of $4.11 a gallon set in July and erasing all the declines seen over the last few weeks as traders talked of falling demand and a slowing economy.

Fortunately for motorists, traders don't think that will happen this time around.

"There's been a a lot of work on the rigs, and the outlook is that it won't be that bad, even if it is a terrible storm," Ray Carbone, a broker and trader at Paramount Options, told CNNMoney.com from the New York Mercantile Exchange.

As of midday Thursday, with Gustav still well south of the Gulf off the coast of Jamaica, oil prices were down sharply, trading around $115 a barrel. The storm isn't expected to make landfall in the United States until early next week.

Even if it is a worst-case scenario storm, Carbone said he thinks oil would have a hard time passing its previous record of $147.27 a barrel.

But as Shook points out, there's only so much companies can do to prepare for a Category 5 storm, and at some point all production is vulnerable no matter how many reinforcements have been made.

I hope the core of engineers have taken the same scrutiny on the levees in NO

Sfeihc
08-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Maybe Kansas City can get the Hornets this time!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen, your Kansas City Hornets!

BWillie
08-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, your Kansas City Hornets!

I hate to root for bad news on New Orleans..........but this would be freaking awesome. Chris Paul, David West, Julian Wright. I just lost it in my pants.

Donger
08-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Updated 5 day:

Donger
08-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Updated:

chasedude
08-29-2008, 08:14 AM
Landfall 2am Tues now. Looks like it's slowing down a bit. If it really slows down in open water it will be bigger than the Cat 3 the predicted.

Donger
08-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Models:

DJJasonp
08-29-2008, 08:55 AM
Man...I might get lucky....and it will be well past Cancun when I land there Monday afternoon.

Keeping my fingers crossed.......

beach tribe
08-29-2008, 08:58 AM
God hates NO. And there's a good reason for it.
It's a cesspool(sp) of filth, and corruption.

Dartgod
08-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Man...I might get lucky....and it will be well past Cancun when I land there Monday afternoon.

Keeping my fingers crossed.......
Where are you staying? You're going to be in Playa del Carmen, right?

We're planning a trip for next year and want to know where the best all-inclusives are.

Dartgod
08-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Models:
Not good for Nawlins when 3 of the 6 models are calling for a near or direct hit.

DJJasonp
08-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Where are you staying? You're going to be in Playa del Carmen, right?

We're planning a trip for next year and want to know where the best all-inclusives are.

We're staying at Playacar Palace....it was recommended by my travel agent (who's kind of a snob when it comes to rating places)...she really liked it.

The nice thing is, you can visit any of the other palace resorts and eat there, use their facilities - all part of the inclusive package.

This time of the year you deal with the threat of hurricanes, but the prices and incentive packages (400 towards golf/spa, etc. etc.)...is really nice.

Donger
08-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Ick:

bogey
08-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Ick:

Yikes!

Skyy God
08-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Hopefully this dissipates or strikes a relatively uninhabited part of the gulf coast.

That said, the powers that be apparently didn't think too highly of James Dobson's pray for rain petty BS and raised him a hurricane headed for NO.

penguinz
08-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Look on the bright side.... If it takes that path then KC will get some much needed rain.

Coach
08-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Look on the bright side.... If it takes that path then KC will get some much needed rain.

Oh, we got plenty of that last night!

Coach
08-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Anyways, I take it they are projecting it to be a Cat 2-3 when it makes landfall in NOLA?

barry_smilez20
08-29-2008, 04:23 PM
this storm is supposed to screw over our tailgating tommorow

Bugeater
08-29-2008, 04:29 PM
this storm is supposed to screw over our tailgating tommorow
:spock: Are you tailgating in Cuba?

Coach
08-29-2008, 04:31 PM
:spock: Are you tailgating in Cuba?

Well, I guess it is the Texas Longhorns v. Cuba Guerrillas at Havanna. :shrug:

Donger
08-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Anyways, I take it they are projecting it to be a Cat 2-3 when it makes landfall in NOLA?

Yes, Cat 3.

Donger
08-29-2008, 05:11 PM

DeezNutz
08-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Weather Underground, Donger? ROFL

Bwana
08-29-2008, 06:49 PM
It's getting stronger and it looks pissed off.

Bob Dole
08-29-2008, 07:33 PM
The Feds need to send someone over to clean out Bob Dole's gutters before Wednesday afternoon.

Skip Towne
08-29-2008, 07:35 PM
The Feds need to send someone over to clean out Bob Dole's gutters before Wednesday afternoon.

You need to call 'em and remind 'em.

cdcox
08-29-2008, 07:38 PM

And miss out on free Heineken? pfffft.

Bob Dole
08-29-2008, 07:38 PM
You need to call 'em and remind 'em.

That would require Bob Dole to actually take some initiative to help himself. Katrina made it pretty clear that people aren't expected to help themselves.

1ChiefsDan
08-29-2008, 07:48 PM
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1049&tstamp=200808
It's time to leave New Orleans
Today is the 3rd anniversary of Hurricane Katrina's catastrophic hit on the Louisiana/Mississippi/Alabama coast. Unfortunately, I think that people living in New Orleans should mark the anniversary of Katrina by getting the heck out of the city. You live at the bottom of a bowl, much of it below sea level. While New Orleans must exist where it is, this is not natural. Nature wants to fill up this bowl with huge quantities of Gulf of Mexico sea water. There is a storm capable of doing that bearing down on you. If you live in New Orleans, I suggest you take a little Labor Day holiday--sooner, rather than later, to beat the rush--and get out of town. Gustav is going to come close to you, and there's no sense messing with a major hurricane capable of pushing a Category 3 storm surge to your doorstep. Don't test those Category 3 rated--but untested--levees. Conventional pre-Katrina wisdom suggested that the city needed 72 hours to evacuate. With the population about half of the pre-Katrina population, that lead time is about 60 hours. With Gustav likely to bring tropical storm force winds to the city by Monday afternoon, that means that tonight is a good time to start evacuating--Saturday morning at the latest. Voluntary evacuations (http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h_pRg8PjsWyfviUQrPDgGKV_FnoQ) have already begun, which is a good idea.

1ChiefsDan
08-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Weather Underground, Donger? ROFLSame thing NOAA and NHC are predicting - at a minimum. WU actually gets most of their information from NHC.

Bwana
08-29-2008, 07:52 PM
As a bonus, it looks like it could be the old one two punch. They are saying Hanna may be heading that direction as well....damn.

teedubya
08-29-2008, 08:19 PM
:hmmm:

sportsman1
08-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Will the KC Hornets still have the New Orleans on the Hornets chest?

teedubya
08-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Will the KC Hornets still have the New Orleans on the Hornets chest?

Yeah, I noticed that afterwards, but I said **** it.

eazyb81
08-29-2008, 09:12 PM
People just need to move out of NOLA for good.

sportsman1
08-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Thats no shit. Twice shame on them. The Corps of Engineers aren't going to save them from the bowl of doom regardless of the situation.

chasedude
08-29-2008, 10:49 PM
New Orlean's is gonna be soooo ****ed!

BWillie
08-30-2008, 02:31 AM
New Orlean's is gonna be soooo ****ed!

You think New Orleans was ****ed...well the same thing could happen to Tampa Bay. Not for this Hurricane, but someday a cat 4 hurricane is going to put that place underwater and complete f*ck it up.

08-30-2008, 04:39 AM
Even though this is only a depression, this one has me worried. I've been watching it since it came off the coast of Sahara thinking they might all turn into hurricanes. Hopefully the forecasters are wrong on this one, but the way Fay suddenly turned probably means this one won't wander off to the North. Miami betta watch out...
Question is, will it try to cross FLA or will it begin to track up the coastline and hit the Carolinas.

kstater
08-30-2008, 06:19 AM
I suggest the residents of NO start strapping themselves down before they float away prior to receiving their free cheese.

chiefqueen
08-30-2008, 07:27 AM
The storm is now major... the 7 AM breifing had MAX sustained winds @ 120 MPN (Category 3). Cat 3's are considered major hurricanes.

Next advisory comes out @ 10 AM CDT.

<!-- Now load the correct standard NHC header, based on page contents --><!-- Begin NHC standard header --><TABLE class=topbanner_780 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=780 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=right height=19>http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/skipgraphic.gif (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT2+shtml/301200.shtml#contents) weather.gov (http://www.weather.gov/) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=780 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=2>http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/noaaleft.jpg (http://www.noaa.gov/)</TD><TD align=left>http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/nwstitle_780.jpg</TD><TD class=ncep_bkgrnd width="100%" rowSpan=2></TD><TD align=right rowSpan=2>http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/nwsright.gif (http://www.weather.gov/)</TD></TR><TR><!-- Put your Center's header image here --><TD align=left>http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/nhc_officename_780.jpg (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- Begin Home, Public Affairs, Organization links and search engine code--><TABLE class=navbkgrnd cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=780 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=94>http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/navbarleft.jpg</TD><TD noWrap align=middle width=135>Home (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml)</TD><TD noWrap align=middle width=135>News (http://www.weather.gov/pa/)</TD><TD noWrap align=middle width=135>Organization (http://www.weather.gov/organization.php)</TD><TD class=yellow align=right width="100%">Search </TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right width="85%"><FORM style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px" name={5C088896-C4CC-4430-A6D8-9DC9D2BE379D} action=http://usasearch.gov/search method=post><INPUT type=hidden value=nws.noaa.gov name=affiliate> <INPUT class=inlineimg title=Grtongue type=hidden alt="" src="images/smilies/tongue1.gif" value=firstgov border=0 name="v:project> <INPUT class=searchinput id=Search onfocus="this.value='';" maxLength=256 name=query> <INPUT class=searchinput type=submit value=Go> </FORM></TD><!-- End search engine code --><TD vAlign=bottom align=right width=24>http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/navbarendcap.jpg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Home, Public Affairs, Organization links and search engine code --><!-- End NHC standard header --><!-- Create main table for the page (has sidebar & the page contents) --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width=745 border=0><!-- was 730 --><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><!-- Set the width of the left-side navigation bar --><TD width=140><!-- Now load the standard NHC left sidebar menu (top) --><!-- Begin NHC standard left sidebar menu top --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=130 bgColor=#09248b border=0><TBODY><!-- Nationwide City,St/ZIP search --><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD class=searchinput colSpan=2>Search by city or zip code. Press enter or select the go button to submit request
<FORM style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 2px" name={6997CAAD-DD2E-4962-B327-2EF82056C17C} action=http://forecast.weather.gov/zipcity.php method=post>Local forecast by
"City, St" or "ZIP"
<!-- <input type="text" name="inputstring" size="8" value="City, St" onFocus="if(this.value=='City, St')this.value='';"> --><INPUT class=searchinput onfocus="this.value='';" size=12 name=inputstring> <INPUT class=searchinput type=submit value=Go name=Go2> </FORM>
</TD></TR><!-- Old Local Search, disabled 25 January 2006 <tr> <td class="searchinput" align="left" colspan="2"> <form action="http://www.firstgov.gov/fgsearch/index.jsp" name="query" style="margin-bottom:0;"> <label for="search">Search TPC</label> <input type="hidden" name="parsed" value="true"> <input type="hidden" name="rn" value="3"> <input type="hidden" name="in0" value="domain"> <input type="hidden" name="dom0" value="nhc.noaa.gov"> <input type="text" name="mw0" id="search" size="12" maxlength="256" value="TPC Search" onFocus="this.value='';"> <input type="submit" name="Go2" value="Go"> </td> </tr> </form>--><!-- End standard NHC left sidebar menu top --><!-- Add a link for Text-only pages --><TR><TD class=white id=menuitem colSpan=2>Alternate versions (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutalternate.shtml)
Text-only (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT2+shtml/301200.shtml?text) | PDA (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/mobile/index.html) | Cell (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.wml) <!-- Text-only version (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/text/refresh/MIATCPAT2+shtml/301200.shtml?text) -->
</TD></TR><!-- Now load the standard NHC left sidebar menu (bottom) --><!-- Load different menus based on page contents --><!-- Begin standard NHC left sidebar menu bottom --><TR><TD class=white colSpan=2>Get Storm Info (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhc_storms.shtml)
Satellite (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/satellite.shtml) | Radar (http://radar.weather.gov/)
Aircraft Recon (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/reconlist.shtml)
Advisory Archive (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2008/index.shtml)
Experimental (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutexperimental.shtml)
Mobile Products (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutwap.shtml)
E-mail Advisories (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/signup.shtml)
Audio/Podcasts (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/audio/index.shtml)
GIS Data (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutgisprods.shtml) | RSS http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/xml2.gif (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutrss.shtml)
Help with Advisories (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnhcprod.shtml)
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=white colSpan=2>Marine Forecasts (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/abouttafb.shtml)
Atlantic and E Pacific (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/marine_forecasts.shtml)
Forecast and
Analysis Tools (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/analysis_tools.shtml)
Help with Marine (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/abouttafbprod.shtml)

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=white colSpan=2>Hurricane Awareness (http://www.weather.gov/os/hurricane/index.shtml)
Be Prepared (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/intro.shtml) | Learn (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/srh/jetstream/tropics/tropics_intro.htm)
Frequent Questions (http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/tcfaqHED.html)
AOML Research (http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/)
Hurricane Hunters (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/hunters.shtml)
Saffir-Simpson Scale (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutsshs.shtml)
Forecasting Models (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutmodels.shtml)
Eyewall Wind Profiles (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutwindprofile.shtml)
Glossary/Acronyms (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutgloss.shtml)
Storm Names (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml)
Breakpoints (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/breakpoints.shtml?gm)

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=white colSpan=2>Hurricane History (http://maps.csc.noaa.gov/hurricanes/index.jsp)
Seasons Archive (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastall.shtml)
Forecast Accuracy (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/verification/)
Climatology (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastprofile.shtml)
Most Extreme (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/dcmi.shtml)

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=white colSpan=2>About the NHC (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutintro.shtml)
Mission and Vision (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/mission.shtml)
Personnel (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutstaff.shtml) | Visitors (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutvisitor.shtml)
NHC Virtual Tour (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhctour.shtml)
Library (http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/general/lib/lib1/nhclib/index.htm)
Joint Hurr Testbed (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/jht/index.shtml)
The NCEP Centers (http://www.ncep.noaa.gov/)
<!-- NOAA Locator (http://pictor.rdc.noaa.gov:7001/extstaff/search)
--><!-- WX4NHC Radio (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/nhcexit.shtml?http://www.wx4nhc.org)
--><!-- NHC/TPC Anonymous
FTP Server (ftp://ftp.nhc.noaa.gov/pub/)-->
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=white colSpan=2>Contact Us (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/contact.shtml) – Help (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/help.shtml) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=white colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle colSpan=2>http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics/usagov_logo_color_110w_30h.gif (http://www.usa.gov/) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End NHC standard left sidebar menu bottom --><!-- Mark the beginning of page contents (append #contents after the URL) --><TD vAlign=top align=left width="79%">

<!-- was 540 --><!-- Begin main body --><!-- Breadcrumb section (small table at end of each page's contents) --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><!-- START OF CONTENT -->Hurricane GUSTAV Public Advisory

<HR align=left width="100%" noShade><!-- Stick it all in a table so when you enlarge the graphic, the text doesn't shift all over the page --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top align=middle><TD><CENTER class=tiny style="WIDTH: 100%; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">Home (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml?) Public Adv Fcst/Adv (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCMAT2+shtml/300857.shtml?) Discussion (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT2+shtml/300858.shtml?) Wind Probs (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIAPWSAT2+shtml/300858.shtml?) Maps/Charts (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/085813.shtml?3day) Archive (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2008/refresh/GUSTAV+shtml/120401.shtml?)

US Watch/Warning (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCVAT2+shtml/300901.shtml?) UPDATE (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCUAT2+shtml/300953.shtml?) </CENTER><HR style="WIDTH: 100%" align=left noShade></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

000WTNT32 KNHC 301200TCPAT2BULLETINHURRICANE GUSTAV INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 22ANWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL072008800 AM EDT SAT AUG 30 2008...MAJOR HURRICANE GUSTAV CONTINUES TO STRENGTHEN......CONDITIONS DETERIORATING OVER THE ISLE OF YOUTH...AT 800 AM EDT...1200 UTC...THE GOVERNMENT OF CUBA HAS ISSUED AHURRICANE WARNING FOR THE CUBAN PROVINCES OF MATANZAS ANDCIENFUEGOS. A HURRICANE WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT FOR THE WESTERNCUBAN PROVINCES OF PINAR DEL RIO...LA HABANA...CIUDAD DE LAHABANA...ISLA DE JUVENTUD...MATANZAS...AND CIENFUEGOS. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY IN THE HURRICANE WARNINGAREA SHOULD BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION.A HURRICANE WARNING ALSO REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE CAYMAN ISLANDS.A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE CENTRAL CUBAN PROVINCEOF VILLA CLARA. A HURRICANE WATCH MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONSARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH AREA... GENERALLY WITHIN 36 HOURS.A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE LOWER FLORIDAKEYS WEST OF KEY WEST TO THE DRY TORTUGAS AND FOR THE CENTRAL CUBANPROVINCES OF VILLA CLARA...SANCTI SPIRITUS...CIEGO DE AVILA...ANDCAMAGUEY. A TROPICAL STORM WARNING MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORMCONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24HOURS.A TROPICAL STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE LOWER FLORIDA KEYSWEST OF THE SEVEN MILE BRIDGE TO KEY WEST.INTERESTS IN THE GULF OF MEXICO AND THE NORTHERN GULF COAST SHOULDCLOSELY MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF GUSTAV.FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...PLEASE MONITORPRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.AT 800 AM EDT...1200Z...THE EYE OF HURRICANE GUSTAV WAS LOCATEDNEAR LATITUDE 20.8 NORTH...LONGITUDE 81.6 WEST OR ABOUT 85 MILES...135 KM...SOUTHEAST OF THE ISLE OF YOUTH AND ABOUT 225 MILES...360 KM...EAST-SOUTHEAST OF THE WESTERN TIP OF CUBA.GUSTAV HAS JOGGED TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST DURING THE PAST FEWHOURS...BUT IS EXPECTED TO SOON RESUME A MOTION TOWARD THENORTHWEST NEAR 12 MPH...19 KM/HR...AND THIS MOTION IS EXPECTED TOCONTINUE FOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. ON THIS TRACK...THE CENTEROF GUSTAV WILL PASS OVER WESTERN CUBA LATER TODAY AND TONIGHT...ANDMOVE INTO THE SOUTHERN GULF OF MEXICO EARLY SUNDAY AND INTO THECENTRAL GULF BY EARLY MONDAY.DATA FROM AN AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT MAXIMUMSUSTAINED WINDS HAVE CONTINUED TO INCREASE AND ARE NOW NEAR 120MPH...195 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. GUSTAV IS A DANGEROUSCATEGORY THREE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE SCALE. GUSTAV IS EXPECTED TO PASS OVER WESTERN CUBA AS A MAJORHURRICANE...AND COULD REACH CATEGORY FOUR STATUS BEFORE MAKINGLANDFALL THERE. ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS POSSIBLE OVER THESOUTHERN GULF OF MEXICO.GUSTAV IS A LARGE TROPICAL CYCLONE. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTENDOUTWARD UP TO 60 MILES...95 KM...FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICALSTORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 160 MILES...260 KM.THE MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE BASED ON REPORTS FROM BOTH AIR FORCEAND NOAA RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT IS 955 MB...28.20 INCHES.COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 2 TO 5 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELSIS POSSIBLE IN THE CAYMAN ISLANDS...WITH 14 TO 19 FEET POSSIBLE NEARWHERE THE CENTER OF GUSTAV CROSSES WESTERN CUBA...INCLUDING THE ISLEOF YOUTH. STORM SURGE OF 1 TO 3 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS ISPOSSIBLE IN THE DRY TORTUGAS AS GUSTAV PASSES TO ITS WEST.GUSTAV IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE TOTAL RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO12 INCHES ACROSS THE CAYMAN ISLANDS...AND CENTRAL AND WESTERNCUBA...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF UP TO 25 INCHES POSSIBLE.THESE RAINS WILL LIKELY PRODUCE LIFE-THREATENING FLASH FLOODS ANDMUD SLIDES. RAINFALL OF 1 TO 3 INCHES IS POSSIBLE OVER FLORIDA KEYSAND EXTREME SOUTH FLORIDA BY SUNDAY MORNING.REPEATING THE 800 AM EDT POSITION...20.8 N...81.6 W. MOVEMENTTOWARD...NORTHWEST NEAR 12 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...120 MPH.MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...955 MB.THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT1100 AM EDT.$$FORECASTER KNABB
</PRE><!-- END OF CONTENT -->
<HR align=left width="100%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=left border=0><TBODY><TR align=middle><TD>Quick Navigation Links:
NHC Active Storms (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhc_storms.shtml) - Atlantic and E Pacific Marine (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/marine_forecasts.shtml) - Storm Archives (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastall.shtml)
Hurricane Awareness (http://www.weather.gov/os/hurricane/index.shtml) - How to Prepare (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/intro.shtml) - About NHC (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutintro.shtml) - Contact Us (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/contact.shtml)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End of main body --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=left border=0><TBODY><!-- Now load the NHC standard footer --><!-- Begin NHC standard footer --><TR><TD colSpan=3><HR align=left width="100%"></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=gray>NOAA/ (http://www.noaa.gov/) National Weather Service (http://www.nws.noaa.gov/)
National Centers for Environmental Prediction (http://www.ncep.noaa.gov/)
National Hurricane Center
Tropical Prediction Center
11691 SW 17th Street
Miami, Florida 33165-2149 USA
nhcwebmaster@noaa.gov
</TD><TD>Disclaimer (http://www.weather.gov/disclaimer.php)
Credits (http://www.weather.gov/credits.php)
Information Quality (http://www.cio.noaa.gov/Policy_Programs/info_quality.html)
Glossary (http://www.weather.gov/glossary/)

</TD><TD align=right>Privacy Policy (http://www.weather.gov/privacy.php)
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) (http://www.osec.doc.gov/omo/FOIA/FOIAWebsite.htm)
About Us (http://www.weather.gov/admin.php)
Career Opportunities (http://www.weather.gov/careers.php)

</TD></TR><!-- End NHC standard footer --><TR vAlign=top><TD class=gray colSpan=3>Page last modified: Saturday, 30-Aug-2008 12:00:49 GMT </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></P>

08-30-2008, 07:29 AM
Keep me posted on all hurricane activity. I have to fly to Florida next Friday. thank you, that is all.

08-30-2008, 07:30 AM
The storm is now major... the 7 AM breifing had MAX sustained winds @ 120 MPN (Category 3). Cat 3's are considered major hurricanes.

Next advisory comes out @ 10 AM CDT.

>
It's going into the warmest water right now. so it's only gonna get stronger.

chiefqueen
08-30-2008, 09:21 AM
10 AM Advisory 125 MPH max sustained winds

next advisory...1 PM CDT

sd4chiefs
08-30-2008, 10:12 AM
10 AM Advisory 125 MPH max sustained winds

next advisory...1 PM CDT

OH CRAP! I have a really bad feeling that New Orleans is doomed. :shake:

BWillie
08-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Looks like it's going to slam into Houston to me.

Ultra Peanut
08-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Evacuation time!

http://i36.tinypic.com/2gwrhv7.jpg

Coach
08-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Somebody please keep an eye on this guy after it hits New Orleans, please....

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3374/aah1fm.gif

JuicesFlowing
08-30-2008, 11:43 AM

No, they will stay so they can be closer to the goods. Looters.

teedubya
08-30-2008, 11:45 AM
probably not much to loot this time around...

chiefqueen
08-30-2008, 12:13 PM
<!-- Now load the correct standard NHC header, based on page contents --><!-- Begin NHC standard header --> <TABLE class=topbanner_780 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=780 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=right height=19>http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/skipgraphic.gif (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT2+shtml/301805.shtml#contents) weather.gov (http://www.weather.gov/) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=780 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=2>http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/noaaleft.jpg (http://www.noaa.gov/)</TD><TD align=left>http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/nwstitle_780.jpg</TD><TD class=ncep_bkgrnd width="100%" rowSpan=2> </TD><TD align=right rowSpan=2>http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/nwsright.gif (http://www.weather.gov/)</TD></TR><TR><!-- Put your Center's header image here --><TD align=left>http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/nhc_officename_780.jpg (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- Begin Home, Public Affairs, Organization links and search engine code--><TABLE class=navbkgrnd cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=780 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=94>http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/navbarleft.jpg</TD><TD noWrap align=middle width=135>Home (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml)</TD><TD noWrap align=middle width=135>News (http://www.weather.gov/pa/)</TD><TD noWrap align=middle width=135>Organization (http://www.weather.gov/organization.php)</TD><TD class=yellow align=right width="100%">Search </TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right width="85%"><FORM style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px" action=http://usasearch.gov/search method=post><INPUT type=hidden value=nws.noaa.gov name=affiliate> <INPUT type=hidden value=firstgov name=v:project> <INPUT class=searchinput id=Search onfocus="this.value='';" maxLength=256 name=query> <INPUT class=searchinput type=submit value=Go> </FORM></TD><!-- End search engine code --><TD vAlign=bottom align=right width=24>http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/navbarendcap.jpg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Home, Public Affairs, Organization links and search engine code --><!-- End NHC standard header --><!-- Create main table for the page (has sidebar & the page contents) --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width=745 border=0><!-- was 730 --><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><!-- Set the width of the left-side navigation bar --><TD width=140><!-- Now load the standard NHC left sidebar menu (top) --><!-- Begin NHC standard left sidebar menu top --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=130 bgColor=#09248b border=0><TBODY><!-- Nationwide City,St/ZIP search --><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD class=searchinput colSpan=2>Search by city or zip code. Press enter or select the go button to submit request
<FORM style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 2px" action=http://forecast.weather.gov/zipcity.php method=post>Local forecast by
"City, St" or "ZIP"
<!-- <input type="text" name="inputstring" size="8" value="City, St" onFocus="if(this.value=='City, St')this.value='';"> --><INPUT class=searchinput onfocus="this.value='';" size=12 name=inputstring> <INPUT class=searchinput type=submit value=Go name=Go2> </FORM></TD></TR><!-- Old Local Search, disabled 25 January 2006 <tr> <td class="searchinput" align="left" colspan="2"> <form action="http://www.firstgov.gov/fgsearch/index.jsp" name="query" style="margin-bottom:0;"> <label for="search">Search TPC</label> <input type="hidden" name="parsed" value="true"> <input type="hidden" name="rn" value="3"> <input type="hidden" name="in0" value="domain"> <input type="hidden" name="dom0" value="nhc.noaa.gov"> <input type="text" name="mw0" id="search" size="12" maxlength="256" value="TPC Search" onFocus="this.value='';"> <input type="submit" name="Go2" value="Go"> </td> </tr> </form>--><!-- End standard NHC left sidebar menu top --><!-- Add a link for Text-only pages --><TR><TD class=white id=menuitem colSpan=2>Alternate versions (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutalternate.shtml)
Text-only (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT2+shtml/301805.shtml?text) | PDA (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/mobile/index.html) | Cell (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.wml) <!-- Text-only version (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/text/refresh/MIATCPAT2+shtml/301805.shtml?text) --></TD></TR><!-- Now load the standard NHC left sidebar menu (bottom) --><!-- Load different menus based on page contents --><!-- Begin standard NHC left sidebar menu bottom --><TR><TD class=white colSpan=2>Get Storm Info (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhc_storms.shtml)
Satellite (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/satellite.shtml) | Radar (http://radar.weather.gov/)
Aircraft Recon (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/reconlist.shtml)
Advisory Archive (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2008/index.shtml)
Experimental (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutexperimental.shtml)
Mobile Products (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutwap.shtml)
E-mail Advisories (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/signup.shtml)
Audio/Podcasts (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/audio/index.shtml)
GIS Data (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutgisprods.shtml) | RSS http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/xml2.gif (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutrss.shtml)
Help with Advisories (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnhcprod.shtml) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=white colSpan=2>Marine Forecasts (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/abouttafb.shtml)
Atlantic and E Pacific (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/marine_forecasts.shtml)
Forecast and
Analysis Tools (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/analysis_tools.shtml)
Help with Marine (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/abouttafbprod.shtml)
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=white colSpan=2>Hurricane Awareness (http://www.weather.gov/os/hurricane/index.shtml)
Be Prepared (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/intro.shtml) | Learn (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/srh/jetstream/tropics/tropics_intro.htm)
Frequent Questions (http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/tcfaqHED.html)
AOML Research (http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/)
Hurricane Hunters (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/hunters.shtml)
Saffir-Simpson Scale (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutsshs.shtml)
Forecasting Models (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutmodels.shtml)
Eyewall Wind Profiles (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutwindprofile.shtml)
Glossary/Acronyms (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutgloss.shtml)
Storm Names (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml)
Breakpoints (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/breakpoints.shtml?gm)
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=white colSpan=2>Hurricane History (http://maps.csc.noaa.gov/hurricanes/index.jsp)
Seasons Archive (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastall.shtml)
Forecast Accuracy (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/verification/)
Climatology (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastprofile.shtml)
Most Extreme (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/dcmi.shtml)
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=white colSpan=2>About the NHC (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutintro.shtml)
Mission and Vision (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/mission.shtml)
Personnel (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutstaff.shtml) | Visitors (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutvisitor.shtml)
NHC Virtual Tour (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhctour.shtml)
Library (http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/general/lib/lib1/nhclib/index.htm)
Joint Hurr Testbed (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/jht/index.shtml)
The NCEP Centers (http://www.ncep.noaa.gov/)
<!-- NOAA Locator (http://pictor.rdc.noaa.gov:7001/extstaff/search)
--><!-- WX4NHC Radio (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/nhcexit.shtml?http://www.wx4nhc.org)
--><!-- NHC/TPC Anonymous
FTP Server (ftp://ftp.nhc.noaa.gov/pub/)--></TD></TR><TR><TD class=white colSpan=2>Contact Us (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/contact.shtml) – Help (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/help.shtml) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=white colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle colSpan=2>http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics/usagov_logo_color_110w_30h.gif (http://www.usa.gov/) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End NHC standard left sidebar menu bottom --><!-- Mark the beginning of page contents (append #contents after the URL) --><TD vAlign=top align=left width="79%">
<!-- was 540 --><!-- Begin main body --><!-- Breadcrumb section (small table at end of each page's contents) --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><!-- START OF CONTENT -->Hurricane GUSTAV Public Advisory

<HR align=left width="100%" noShade><!-- Stick it all in a table so when you enlarge the graphic, the text doesn't shift all over the page --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top align=middle><TD><CENTER class=tiny style="WIDTH: 100%; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">Home (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml?) Public Adv Fcst/Adv (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCMAT2+shtml/301801.shtml?) Discussion (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT2+shtml/301500.shtml?) Wind Probs (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIAPWSAT2+shtml/301806.shtml?) Maps/Charts (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/180114.shtml?3day) Archive (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2008/refresh/GUSTAV+shtml/180402.shtml?)

US Watch/Warning (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCVAT2+shtml/301803.shtml?) UPDATE (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCUAT2+shtml/301718.shtml?) </CENTER><HR style="WIDTH: 100%" align=left noShade></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
000WTNT32 KNHC 301805TCPAT2BULLETINHURRICANE GUSTAV SPECIAL ADVISORY NUMBER 24NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL072008200 PM EDT SAT AUG 30 2008...GUSTAV BECOMES AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE......WESTERN EYEWALL DIRECTLY IMPACTING THE ISLE OF YOUTH...A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE CUBAN PROVINCES OFPINAR DEL RIO...LA HABANA...CIUDAD DE LA HABANA...ISLA DEJUVENTUD...MATANZAS...AND CIENFUEGOS. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFEAND PROPERTY IN THE HURRICANE WARNING AREA SHOULD HAVE ALREADY BEENCOMPLETED.A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE CENTRAL CUBAN PROVINCEOF VILLA CLARA.A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE CENTRAL CUBANPROVINCES OF VILLA CLARA...SANCTI SPIRITUS...CIEGO DE AVILA...ANDCAMAGUEY...AND FOR THE LOWER FLORIDA KEYS WEST OF THE SEVEN MILEBRIDGE TO DRY TORTUGAS.INTERESTS IN THE GULF OF MEXICO AND THE NORTHERN GULF COAST SHOULDCLOSELY MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF GUSTAV. A HURRICANE WATCH COULD BEISSUED FOR PORTIONS OF THE NORTHERN GULF COAST LATER TODAY.FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...PLEASE MONITORPRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.AT 200 PM EDT...1800Z...THE EYE OF HURRICANE GUSTAV WAS LOCATEDNEAR LATITUDE 21.6 NORTH...LONGITUDE 82.5 WEST...NEAR THE ISLE OFYOUTH...OR ABOUT 155 MILES...250 KM...EAST OF THE WESTERN TIP OFCUBA AND ABOUT 110 MILES...180 KM...SOUTH OF HAVANA CUBA.GUSTAV IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 14 MPH...22 KM/HR...ANDTHIS GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE DURING THE NEXT COUPLEOF DAYS. ON THIS TRACK...THE CENTER OF GUSTAV WILL PASS OVERWESTERN PORTIONS OF CUBA TODAY AND TONIGHT...THEN EMERGE OVER THESOUTHERN GULF OF MEXICO EARLY ON SUNDAY...AND REACH THE NORTHERNGULF BY MONDAY MORNING. DATA FROM AN AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT MAXIMUMSUSTAINED WINDS HAVE CONTINUED TO INCREASE AND ARE NOW NEAR 145MPH...230 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. GUSTAV IS AN EXTREMELYDANGEROUS CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSONHURRICANE SCALE. AN UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATION OF A SUSTAINED WIND OF140 MPH...220 KM/HR...HAS BEEN REPORTED ALONG THE EASTERN COAST OFTHE ISLE OF YOUTH. SOME ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS FORECASTDURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS...AND GUSTAV COULD BECOME A CATEGORYFIVE HURRICANE EITHER BEFORE OR SHORTLY AFTER CROSSING WESTERNCUBA.HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 70 MILES...110 KM...FROMTHE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 175MILES...280 KM.THE MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE RECENTLY REPORTED BY AN AIR FORCERECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT WAS 945 MB...27.91 INCHES.COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 18 TO 23 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDELEVELS...ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES...ISPOSSIBLE NEAR WHERE THE CENTER OF GUSTAV CROSSES WESTERNCUBA...INCLUDING THE ISLE OF YOUTH. STORM SURGE OF 1 TO 3 FEETABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS IS POSSIBLE IN THE DRY TORTUGAS AS GUSTAVPASSES TO ITS WEST.GUSTAV IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE TOTAL RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO12 INCHES ACROSS THE CAYMAN ISLANDS...AND CENTRAL AND WESTERNCUBA...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF UP TO 25 INCHES POSSIBLE.THESE RAINS WILL LIKELY PRODUCE LIFE-THREATENING FLASH FLOODS ANDMUD SLIDES. RAINFALL OF 1 TO 3 INCHES IS POSSIBLE OVER FLORIDA KEYSAND EXTREME SOUTH FLORIDA BY SUNDAY MORNING.REPEATING THE 200 PM EDT POSITION...21.6 N...82.5 W. MOVEMENTTOWARD...NORTHWEST NEAR 14 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...145 MPH.MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...945 MB.THE NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANECENTER AT 500 PM EDT.$$FORECASTER KNABB</PRE><!-- END OF CONTENT -->
<HR align=left width="100%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=left border=0><TBODY><TR align=middle><TD>Quick Navigation Links:
NHC Active Storms (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhc_storms.shtml) - Atlantic and E Pacific Marine (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/marine_forecasts.shtml) - Storm Archives (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastall.shtml)
Hurricane Awareness (http://www.weather.gov/os/hurricane/index.shtml) - How to Prepare (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/intro.shtml) - About NHC (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutintro.shtml) - Contact Us (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/contact.shtml) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End of main body --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=left border=0><TBODY><!-- Now load the NHC standard footer --><!-- Begin NHC standard footer --><TR><TD colSpan=3><HR align=left width="100%"></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=gray>NOAA/ (http://www.noaa.gov/) National Weather Service (http://www.nws.noaa.gov/)
National Centers for Environmental Prediction (http://www.ncep.noaa.gov/)
National Hurricane Center
Tropical Prediction Center
11691 SW 17th Street
Miami, Florida 33165-2149 USA
nhcwebmaster@noaa.gov (nhcwebmaster@noaa.gov?subject=[NHC web feedback]) </TD><TD>Disclaimer (http://www.weather.gov/disclaimer.php)
Credits (http://www.weather.gov/credits.php)
Information Quality (http://www.cio.noaa.gov/Policy_Programs/info_quality.html)
Glossary (http://www.weather.gov/glossary/)
</TD><TD align=right>Privacy Policy (http://www.weather.gov/privacy.php)
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) (http://www.osec.doc.gov/omo/FOIA/FOIAWebsite.htm)
About Us (http://www.weather.gov/admin.php)
Career Opportunities (http://www.weather.gov/careers.php)
</TD></TR><!-- End NHC standard footer --><TR vAlign=top><TD class=gray colSpan=3>Page last modified: Saturday, 30-Aug-2008 18:06:02 GMT </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></P>

Coach
08-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Not only they may have to deal with Gustav, Hanna could be another problem when it gets closer to Cuba.

BWillie
08-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Guy on CNN said when it does make landfall the wind sheer will probably weaken it to a Cat 1, 75 mph winds by the time it makes landfall......I hadn't heard that from ANYBODY except the meteorologist on CNN.

Bwana
08-30-2008, 02:21 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26295161

Donger
08-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Now forecast to reach Cat 5?

Sh*t.

tk13
08-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Well, that's not good for Cuba. But in my completely unprofessional opinion, maybe that's good for the Gulf Coast. I mean it's not gonna be a walk in the park, but it wasn't going to be anyway. I think it's gonna have a hard time maintaining such high intensity all the way to Louisiana. But we'll see. Considering how warm they say the water on the other side of Cuba is, it's probably about to blow up.

Coach
08-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Now forecast to reach Cat 5?

Sh*t.

That's why I was skeptical when they said that it was forcasted to be a Cat. 3, I thought to myself "I don't know about that, especially with the warm waters in the Gulf."

chiefqueen
08-30-2008, 03:06 PM
4:00 pm advisory (I'm not going to copy it)

MAX sustained winds 150 MPH (almost a CAT 5)

I expect some weakening as is goes over Cuba.

Next advisory 7:00 PM CDT

Donger
08-30-2008, 03:11 PM
5pm Update:

Donger
08-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Cat 4 at landfall? Didn't Katrina hit as a 3?

Coach
08-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Where do you get those links from, Donger?

Donger
08-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Where do you get those links from, Donger?

Weather Underground: http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200807.html

Coach
08-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Cat 4 at landfall? Didn't Katrina hit as a 3?

Yes.

The storm weakened before making its second and third landfalls as a Category 3 storm on the morning of August 29 in southeast Louisiana and at the Louisiana/Mississippi state line, respectively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Katrina

Coach
08-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Weather Underground: http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200807.html

Thank you.

Bob Dole
08-30-2008, 04:24 PM
George Bush really needs to send someone over yo clean out Bob Dole's rain gutters.

Bwana
08-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Guy on CNN said when it does make landfall the wind sheer will probably weaken it to a Cat 1, 75 mph winds by the time it makes landfall......I hadn't heard that from ANYBODY except the meteorologist on CNN.

The wind isn't what they have to worry about, (like most storms like this) but the storm surge is going to be huge. The wind didn't do much to them last time, but the water sure beat down the area. The way this is looking, this thing is going to pack more punch than the last one and may be a direct hit. It's going to be a rodeo.

Check out this link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26295161 (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26295161)

If you click on the "More link" when it comes up, you can also see what Hanna is doing.

Donger
08-30-2008, 04:44 PM
The wind isn't what they have to worry about, (like most storms like this) but the storm surge is going to be huge. The wind didn't do much to them last time, but the water sure beat down the area. The way this is looking, this thing is going to pack more punch than the last one and may be a direct hit. It's going to be a rodeo.

Check out this link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26295161 (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26295161)

If you click on the "More link" when it comes up, you can also see what Hanna is doing.

IIRC, the storm surge (and wind) is greater on the eastern side of hurricanes. I wish this ugly f*cker would track more westerly.

Bwana
08-30-2008, 04:48 PM
IIRC, the storm surge (and wind) is greater on the eastern side of hurricanes. I wish this ugly f*cker would track more westerly.

Yes it is. Regarding your other point, there is still a chance it will head west, but it's not looking that way. It looks like a real bastard, with teeth to back it right now.

Skip Towne
08-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Is this one of those underwater hurricanes?

Bowser
08-30-2008, 04:50 PM

Heh. It never gets old.

SAUTO
08-30-2008, 05:05 PM
my brother in law is leaving NO as we speak, stuck on i10 i think, sucks for him. he went through katrina and we saw pics of his van from the air with water up to the roof

stumppy
08-30-2008, 05:29 PM

I still can't follow the bread crumb trail of deductive reasoning that produced that little gem.

chiefqueen
08-30-2008, 06:00 PM
7:00 Advisory is out, MAX sustained winds still @ 150 MPH.

Made landfall over Cuba.

Next advisory @ 10 PM.

jagerdrinker
08-30-2008, 06:02 PM
sustained winds at 150 but gusts to 184...that's ridiculous. Dennis was a nasty bastard when he howled over me, but he was quick. This thing looks like it wants to linger and feed. Damn, I hope people get the Hell out of its way (and that it stays away from Pensacola.)

Bob Dole
08-30-2008, 06:06 PM
my brother in law is leaving NO as we speak, stuck on i10 i think, sucks for him. he went through katrina and we saw pics of his van from the air with water up to the roof

I-10? That's not the quickest way to get to Olathe.

Donger
08-30-2008, 07:36 PM
8PM update

Donger
08-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Good luck, NOLA.

Donger
08-30-2008, 09:31 PM
11PM Update:

Donger
08-30-2008, 09:32 PM

Deberg_1990
08-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Good luck, NOLA.

More like Goodbye NOLA.....

Mr. Kotter
08-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Maybe this is God's way of sayin'.....

"Look ya stupid bastards, Katrina shoudda taught ya'all sumthin'. Friggin' National Geographic has called Naw Orlins 'a disaster, waitin' to happen' for 30-40 years, and yu' ins all still don't think they is serious. Lordy. What we gotta do to convince ya' all to move dat shit 15-20 miles inland, at least? Well, maybe a stinkin' Norweigan friggin' hurricane will wakes your silly asses up....finally?"

:shrug:

:hmmm:

FTR, I hope EVERYONE evacuates to safety; as they have had PLENTY of time to do so.

Seriously though, move the fugg inland....will you? :shake:

DeezNutz
08-30-2008, 09:58 PM
According to Michael Moore, "Gustav is proof that there is a God in Heaven" because, by reminding us of Katrina, it is politically harmful to Republicans, especially because the timing coincides with the RNC.

Moore said this on Countdown, and his comment went unchallenged by Keith Olbermann.

DaFace
08-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Good luck, NOLA.

For those of you who understand this stuff better than I do, isn't that route (identified by all but one of the models) about the worst place it could possibly hit for New Orleans? I mean, doesn't the big surge come on the east side? If so, this isn't lookin good...

Deberg_1990
08-30-2008, 10:01 PM
"Gustav is proof that there is a God in Heaven" because, by reminding us of Katrina, it is politically harmful to republicans,

Yea, kinda like how Farenheit 9/11 was so successful at getting Bush out of office.

Oh uh.......nevermind....

DeezNutz
08-30-2008, 10:02 PM
According to Michael Moore, "Gustav is proof that there is a God in Heaven" because, by reminding us of Katrina, it is politically harmful to Republicans, especially because the timing coincides with the RNC.

Moore said this on Countdown, and his comment went unchallenged by Keith Olbermann.

Because this shouldn't be buried at the bottom of a page.

Bugeater
08-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Tampa and New Orleans are supposed to play in the Superdome next weekend, they may as well plan on moving that one to San Antonio.

Logical
08-30-2008, 10:04 PM
You think New Orleans was ****ed...well the same thing could happen to Tampa Bay. Not for this Hurricane, but someday a cat 4 hurricane is going to put that place underwater and complete f*ck it up.I am probably confused, I thought Tampa was where Disney World was at, so if not where is Disney World.

DeezNutz
08-30-2008, 10:05 PM
I am probably confused, I thought Tampa was where Disney World was at, so if not where is Disney World.

Orlando, right?

Bugeater
08-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Orlando, right?

Affirmative.

Donger
08-30-2008, 10:07 PM
For those of you who understand this stuff better than I do, isn't that route (identified by all but one of the models) about the worst place it could possibly hit for New Orleans? I mean, doesn't the big surge come on the east side? If so, this isn't lookin good...

No, if it moves another 30-50 miles east, it would be worse. But, it keeps tracking the way it is and hits as a 3 or 4, it will be very dangerous.

Donger
08-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Looking at the maps, the projection shows Gustav making landfall about the same distance west of NOLA as Katrina did east (Buras). That's really scary.

Move west, you turd.

Donger
08-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Mandatory evacuation of NOLA, 8am tomorrow.

Coach
08-30-2008, 10:36 PM

Shit, f**k that. I'd do it, like, immedately?

They're just wasting a good 8 hours just to declare a mandatory evacuation by tomorrow.

Ultra Peanut
08-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Looking at the maps, the projection shows Gustav making landfall about the same distance west of NOLA as Katrina did east (Buras). That's really scary.Jesus. This thing is going to flood the hell out of wherever it makes landfall, but if it hits where it looks like it's going to hit... Double-whammy.

Before Katrina, I was anxious and awestricken. With Gustav it's more like dread.

Donger
08-30-2008, 10:57 PM
"Levee building on the city's west bank was incomplete, Nagin said. A storm surge of 15 to 20 feet would pour through canals and flood the neighborhood and neighboring Jefferson Parish, he said."

F*ck me...

ChiefsCountry
08-30-2008, 10:59 PM
New Orleans is such a cool city, it sucks it keeps getting belted.

08-30-2008, 11:01 PM

They're just wasting a good 8 hours just to declare a mandatory evacuation by tomorrow.
No kidding. They should have already started. Sure hope for the best for them though. I just hope more of them heed the warning and do whatever they possibly have to do to get out of there this time.

Donger
08-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Some places east of Katrina's landfall took a 25 feet storm surge.

Donger
08-30-2008, 11:04 PM

Sounds like people are getting out, regardless. However, I have a friend who lives on the water of Lake Ponchartrain near Slidell. He's staying. His house took on six feet of water for six hours or something crazy with Katrina.

Bugeater
08-30-2008, 11:04 PM
So...are they going to open the Superdome again?

Donger
08-30-2008, 11:06 PM

No.

DeezNutz
08-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Sounds like people are getting out, regardless. However, I have a friend who lives on the water of Lake Ponchartrain near Slidell. He's staying. His house took on six feet of water for six hours or something crazy with Katrina.

Staying how? Where? Second level, I assume?

I understand the desire to defend one's property, but I just hope individuals like this stay safe and are prepared to fend for themselves for a little bit.

Coach
08-30-2008, 11:10 PM

Well, he may got lucky the first time, but the 2nd time could not be so lucky.

Either way, it ain't gonna be pretty, and I can see it being much worse than Katrina.

Donger
08-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Staying how? Where? Second level, I assume?

I understand the desire to defend one's property, but I just hope individuals like this stay safe and are prepared to fend for themselves for a little bit.

No, his house is a single level. I don't understand it, either.

Donger
08-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Well, he may got lucky the first time, but the 2nd time could not be so lucky.

Either way, it ain't gonna be pretty, and I can see it being much worse than Katrina.

He evacuated before Katrina hit. For whatever reason, he won't this time.

DeezNutz
08-30-2008, 11:17 PM
No, his house is a single level. I don't understand it, either.

My goodness.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have a sticky thread in the lounge for some prayers to be sent to the folks in NO.

Coach
08-30-2008, 11:19 PM
He evacuated before Katrina hit. For whatever reason, he won't this time.

Mindless suicide. :shake:

Hammock Parties
08-30-2008, 11:20 PM
I don't want to die a virgin.

Donger
08-30-2008, 11:22 PM
I don't want to die a virgin.

F*ck off, GoChiefs.

Ultra Peanut
08-30-2008, 11:26 PM
New Orleans is such a cool city, it sucks it keeps getting belted.Having been to both, I'd gladly trade a Houston battering for a NOLA battering. Not to say it's a bad city, but it's maybe an eighth as interesting as New Orleans. If you're being generous.

Ultra Peanut
08-30-2008, 11:27 PM
He evacuated before Katrina hit. For whatever reason, he won't this time.What do you even say to something like that?

stumppy
08-30-2008, 11:29 PM
What do you even say to something like that?

Could we get you to right down contact info for your next of kin ?

Donger
08-30-2008, 11:29 PM
What do you even say to something like that?

I wrote, "Well, good luck."

Stinger
08-30-2008, 11:31 PM

New Orleans orders mandatory evacuation
Email this Story

Aug 30, 10:26 PM (ET)

By BECKY BOHRER

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Spooked by predictions that Hurricane Gustav could grow into a Category 5 monster, an estimated 1 million people fled the Gulf Coast Saturday - even before the official order came for New Orleans residents to get out of the way of a storm taking dead aim at Louisiana.

Mayor Ray Nagin gave the mandatory order late Saturday, but all day residents took to buses, trains, planes and cars - clogging roadways leading away from New Orleans, still reeling three years after Hurricane Katrina flooded 80 percent of the city and killed about 1,600 across the region.

The evacuation of New Orleans becomes mandatory at 8 a.m. Sunday along the vulnerable west bank of the Mississippi River, and at noon on the east bank. Nagin called Gustav the "mother of all storms" and told residents to "get out of town. This is not the one to play with."

"This is the real deal, this is not a test," Nagin said as he issued the order, warning residents that staying would be "one of the biggest mistakes you could make in your life." He emphasized that the city will not offer emergency services to anyone who chooses to stay behind.

Nagin did not immediately order a curfew, which would allow officials to arrest residents if they are not on their property.

Gustav had already killed more than 80 people in the Caribbean, and if current forecasts hold up, it would make landfall Monday afternoon somewhere between East Texas and western Mississippi.

Forecasters warned it was too soon to say whether New Orleans would take another direct hit, but residents weren't taking any chances judging by the bumper-to-bumper traffic pouring from the city. Gas stations along interstate highways were running out of fuel, and phone circuits were jammed.

Forecasters at the National Hurricane Center said they were surprised at how quickly Gustav gained strength as it slammed into Cuba's tobacco-growing western tip. It went from a tropical storm to a Category 4 hurricane in about 24 hours, and was likely to become a Category 5 - with sustained winds of 156 mph or more - by Sunday.

"That puts a different light on our evacuations and hopefully that will send a very clear message to the people in the Gulf Coast to really pay attention," said Federal Emergency Management Agency chief David Paulison.

Levee building on the city's west bank was incomplete, Nagin said. A storm surge of 15 to 20 feet would pour through canals and flood the neighborhood and neighboring Jefferson Parish, he said.

Nagin estimated that about half the population had left and admitted officials were worried that some people would try to stay.

Even before the evacuation order, hotels closed, and the airport prepared to follow suit.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff planned to travel to Louisiana on Sunday to observe preparations. Also, likely GOP presidential nominee John McCain and his running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, are traveling to Mississippi on Sunday to check on people getting prepared.

As part of the evacuation plan New Orleans developed after Katrina, residents who had no other way to get out of the city waited on a line that snaked for more than a mile through the parking lot of the city's main transit terminal. From there, they were boarding motor coaches bound for shelters in north Louisiana. The city expects to move out about 30,000 such residents by Sunday.

"I don't like it," said Joseph Jones Jr., 61, who draped a towel over his head to block the blazing sun. "Going someplace you don't know, people you don't know. And then when you come back, is your house going to be OK?"

Jones had been in line for 2 1/2 hours, but he wasn't complaining. During Katrina, he'd been stranded on a highway overpass.

Others led children or pushed strollers with one hand and pulled luggage with the other. Volunteers handed out bottled water, and medics were nearby in case people became sick from the heat.

Unlike Katrina, when thousands took refuge inside the Superdome, there will be no "last resort" shelter. "You will be on your own," Nagin said.

About 1,500 National Guard troops were in the region, and soldiers were expected to help augment about 1,400 New Orleans police officers in helping patrol and secure the city.

Standing outside his restaurant in the city's Faubourg Marigny district, Dale DeBruyne prepared for Gustav the way he did for Katrina - stubbornly.

"I'm not leaving," he said.

DeBruyne, 52, said his house was stocked with storm supplies, including generators.

"I stayed for Katrina," he said, "and I'll stay again."

Many residents said the early stage of the evacuation was more orderly than Katrina, although a plan to electronically log and track evacuees with a bar code system failed and was aborted to keep the buses moving. Officials said information on evacuees would be taken when they reached their destinations.

Advocates criticized the decision not to establish a shelter, warning that day laborers and the poorest residents would fall through the cracks.

About two dozen Hispanic men gathered under oak trees near Claiborne Avenue. They were wary of boarding any bus, even though a city spokesman said no identity papers would be required.

"The problem is," said Pictor Soto, 44, of Peru, "there will be immigration people there and we're all undocumented."

Farther west, where Gustav appeared more likely to make landfall, Guard troops were also being sent to Lake Charles.

The National Hurricane Center issued a hurricane watch for Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and part of Texas, meaning hurricane conditions are possible within 36 hours.

Two East Texas counties also issued mandatory evacuation orders, and authorities in Mississippi, also battered by Katrina, began evacuating the mentally ill and aged from facilities along the coast.

National Guard soldiers on Mississippi's coast were going door-to-door to alert thousands of families in FEMA trailers and cottages that they should be prepared to evacuate Sunday.

In Alabama, shelters were opened and 3,000 National Guard personnel assembled to help evacuees from Mississippi and Louisiana.

"If we don't get the wind and rain, we stand ready to help them," Gov. Bob Riley said.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080831/D92T04FG2.html

08-30-2008, 11:36 PM
WOW!!!!

ClevelandBronco
08-30-2008, 11:53 PM

As if there's anyone awake and/or able to function rationally in NOLA at 8 a.m. on a long weekend.

ClevelandBronco
08-30-2008, 11:58 PM

This TV station is looking for people with a computer or mobile device who are staying to help report the story:

http://www.wwltv.com/

Maybe he'd like to contribute.

Donger
08-31-2008, 12:24 AM
2AM Update:

ClevelandBronco
08-31-2008, 12:47 AM
2AM Update:

That track has moved a shade west if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Forget that. If anything it's a bit east from the 8 p.m. update.

Good grief. This is looking bad.

chiefqueen
08-31-2008, 12:52 AM
Tampa and New Orleans are supposed to play in the Superdome next weekend, they may as well plan on moving that one to San Antonio.

Tampa and NO are divisional opponents so why can't they swap home dates? Duh............

Phobia
08-31-2008, 12:56 AM
Having been to both, I'd gladly trade a Houston battering for a NOLA battering. Not to say it's a bad city, but it's maybe an eighth as interesting as New Orleans. If you're being generous.

Houston is an hour inland. It wouldn't get battered nearly as badly as a NO type town. My FIL is flying down to Houston to get his MIL & GMIL out tomorrow morning.

ClevelandBronco
08-31-2008, 01:03 AM
Houston is an hour inland. It wouldn't get battered nearly as badly as a NO type town. My FIL is flying down to Houston to get his MIL & GMIL out tomorrow morning.

Your FIL still has a MIL and a GMIL? That side of the family must have some good genes.

DaneMcCloud
08-31-2008, 01:07 AM
Those people should just get the **** out as quickly as possible.

Then, let it flood. Rebuild the city on SEA ****ing LEVEL.

JFC.

Phobia
08-31-2008, 01:16 AM
Your FIL still has a MIL and a GMIL? That side of the family must have some good genes.
GMIL just turned 100. They're actually no relation. They're kin to my wife's step-mother.

ClevelandBronco
08-31-2008, 01:18 AM
GMIL just turned 100. They're actually no relation. They're kin to my wife's step-mother.

Family trees have become something like family spider webs these days.

Ultra Peanut
08-31-2008, 01:33 AM
Houston is an hour inland. It wouldn't get battered nearly as badly as a NO type town.Well yeah, there's that too. Wouldn't help Galveston much, though.

LOCOChief
08-31-2008, 09:06 AM
We are getting some raging bands of this storm is SW florida (Charlotte Harbor ) right now. LA and Tx and even panhandle FL better be ready cause this babies a mother of a storm if these bands are any indication

Donger
08-31-2008, 09:14 AM
Storm surge forecast...

Donger
08-31-2008, 09:16 AM
11AM Track

StcChief
08-31-2008, 09:20 AM
looks like NO is really gonna get pounded. Hope the citizens took Nagin's advise.

somehow I doubt it.....

banyon
08-31-2008, 09:34 AM
Nagin just said live that if a looter is caught, they go directly to Angola Prison, general population.

Yikes.

Ultra Peanut
08-31-2008, 09:43 AM
Nagin just said live that if a looter is caught, they go directly to Angola Prison, general population.

Yikes.<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-SK6gbhuEXQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-SK6gbhuEXQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ultra Peanut
08-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Hopefully this is actually weakening and it's not just going through an eyewall replacement cycle.

The cone of doom is pretty much a big middle finger pointed at NOLA now, and it leans more west than east, so even if it does fall below where Katrina fell by landfall, it's not exactly a minor threat.

Aries Walker
08-31-2008, 11:58 AM
What I'm noticing, that few people are mentioning, is that when it gets to land, it's predicted to slow down considerably. Look at the distance it will cover between 8 PM's.

Hurricane Agnes wasn't even a hurricane when it hit Pennsylvania in 1972, but because it moved so friggin' slowly, it caused a lot, lot, lot of damage.

SAUTO
08-31-2008, 01:47 PM
they also say that the gulf has a pocket of water that is 90 degrees which will speed up the rotation considerably

08-31-2008, 07:47 PM
Hopefully this is actually weakening and it's not just going through an eyewall replacement cycle.

The cone of doom is pretty much a big middle finger pointed at NOLA now, and it leans more west than east, so even if it does fall below where Katrina fell by landfall, it's not exactly a minor threat.
Almost as if mother nature does not want N.O. to exist.

Stinger
08-31-2008, 09:58 PM
Seems like many have heeded the warning........

The Gulf Coast waits: Will it be another Katrina?

Aug 31, 10:20 PM (ET)

By STACEY PLAISANCE and BECKY BOHRER

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - With a historic evacuation of nearly 2 million people from the Louisiana coast complete, gun-toting police and National Guardsmen stood watch as rain started to fall on this city's empty streets Sunday night - and even presidential politics took a back seat as the nation waited to see if Hurricane Gustav would be another Katrina.

The storm was set to crash ashore late Monday morning with frightful force, testing the three years of planning and rebuilding that followed Katrina's devastating blow to the Gulf Coast. The storm has already killed at least 94 people on its path through the Caribbean.

Painfully aware of the failings that led to that horrific suffering and more than 1,600 deaths, this time officials moved beyond merely insisting tourists and residents leave south Louisiana. They threatened arrest, loaded thousands onto buses and warned that anyone who remained behind would not be rescued.

"Looters will go directly to jail. You will not get a pass this time," Mayor Ray Nagin said. "You will not have a temporary stay in the city. You will go directly to the Big House."

Col. Mike Edmondson, state police commander, said he believed that 90 percent of the population had fled the Louisiana coast. The exodus of 1.9 million people is the largest evacuation in state history, and thousands more had left from Mississippi, Alabama and flood-prone southeast Texas.

Late Sunday, Gov. Bobby Jindal issued one last plea to the roughly 100,000 people still left on the coast: "If you've not evacuated, please do so. There are still a few hours left."

Louisiana and Mississippi temporarily changed traffic flow so all highway lanes led away from the coast, and cars were packed bumper-to-bumper. Stores and restaurants shut down, hotels closed and windows were boarded up. Some who planned to stay changed their mind at the last second, not willing to risk the worst.

"I was trying to get situated at home. I was trying to get things so it would be halfway safe," said 46-year-old painter Jerry Williams, who showed up at the city's Union Station to catch one of the last buses out of town. "You're torn. Do you leave it and worry about it, or do you stay and worry about living?"

There were frightening comparisons between Gustav and Katrina, which flooded 80 percent of New Orleans. Gustav was forecast to bring with it a storm surge of up to 14 feet, but there was no doubt the storm posed a major threat to a partially rebuilt New Orleans and the flood-prone coasts of Louisiana and southeast Texas.

Forecasters said Gustav was moving faster than expected as it marched toward the coast with top sustained winds of around 115 mph. At 8 p.m. EDT Sunday, the National Hurricane Center said Gustav was a Category 3 storm centered about 175 miles southeast of the mouth of the Mississippi River and moving northwest near 17 mph.

Rain started falling in New Orleans before sunset, and tropical storm force winds reached the southeastern tip of the state. The first hurricane force winds were due to arrive after midnight and reach Category 3 force - from 111 to 130 mph - at the point where Gustav's center makes landfall west of the city.

New Orleans will likely be on the "dirty" side of the storm - where rainfall is heaviest and tornadoes are possible. But if the city is east of where Gustav's eye crosses, the storm surge would be lower than if the city took a direct hit, reducing the chances of flooding. If forecasts hold, the city would experience lower winds and a storm surge of only 4 to 6 feet, compared to a storm surge of 10 to 14 feet at the site of landfall, said Corey Walton, a hurricane support meteorologist with the National Hurricane Center.

By comparison, Katrina brought a storm surge of 25 feet.

Surge models suggest large areas of southeast Louisiana, including parts of the greater New Orleans area, could be flooded by several feet of water. But Gustav appears most likely to overwhelm the levees west of the city that have for decades been underfunded and neglected and are years from an update.

Against all warnings, some gambled and decided to face the storm's wrath. On an otherwise deserted commercial block of downtown Lafayette, about 135 miles west of the city, Tim Schooler removed the awnings from his photography studio. He thought about evacuating Sunday before deciding he was better off riding out the storm at home with his wife, Nona.

"There's really no place to go. All the hotels are booked up to Little Rock and beyond," he said. "We're just hoping for the best."

Mindful of the potential for disaster, the Republican Party scaled back its normally jubilant convention - set to kickoff as Gustav crashed ashore. President Bush said he would skip the convention altogether, and Sen. John McCain visited Jackson, Miss., on Sunday as his campaign rewrote the script for the convention to emphasize a commitment to helping people.

The nation's economic attention was focused on Gustav's effect on refineries and offshore petroleum production rigs. The combination of prolonged production interruptions, such as occurred when Katrina and Rita damaged the Gulf infrastructure, could trigger rising prices.

Billions of dollars were at stake in other wide-ranging economic sectors, including sugar harvesting, the shipping business and tourism. The Mississippi Gaming Commission ordered a dozen casinos to close.

The final train out of New Orleans left with fewer than 100 people on board, while the one of the last buses to make the rounds of the city pulled into Union Station empty. Police made final rounds around 7 p.m Every officer in the department was on duty, and 1,200 on street were joined by 1,500 National Guardsmen.

The only sign of life on St. Bernard Avenue - a four-lane artery through the partially rebuilt Gentilly neighborhood that flooded during Katrina - was a brown and black rooster meandering along the street.

"When the 911 calls start coming in, we'll know how many people are left in town," said police superintendent Warren Riley.

Even as they pressed to complete the evacuation, officials insisted there would be no repeat of the inept response to Katrina's wrath. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said search and rescue will be the top priority once Gustav passes - high-water vehicles, helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft, Coast Guard cutters and a Navy vessel that is essentially a floating emergency room are posted around the strike zone.

West of New Orleans in Houma, he wished passengers well as stragglers boarded buses for Shreveport and Dallas.

"It's going to be hot on some of the buses. It's going to be a long trip," Chertoff said. "So it's not going to be pleasant, but it's a lot better than sitting in the Superdome and it's a lot better than sitting in your house."

Melissa Lee, who lives in Pearl River, a town near the boundary of Mississippi and Louisiana, was driving away to Florida Sunday. Before she left, she heard neighbors chopping down trees with chain saws, trying to ensure the tall pines that surrounded their homes wouldn't come crashing down.

"I sent my son out with a camera and said, 'Go take pictures of our backyard. Because it's going to look different when we get back.'"

Bob Dole
08-31-2008, 10:32 PM
What I'm noticing, that few people are mentioning, is that when it gets to land, it's predicted to slow down considerably. Look at the distance it will cover between 8 PM's.

Hurricane Agnes wasn't even a hurricane when it hit Pennsylvania in 1972, but because it moved so friggin' slowly, it caused a lot, lot, lot of damage.

This bastard is going to get about 400 miles inland and then park for 3 days and dump about 18" of rain on Bob Dole.

All of you GWB supporters need to be heading this way so you can take care of Bob Dole and all of Bob Dole's neighbors.

Stinger
08-31-2008, 10:51 PM
This bastard is going to get about 400 miles inland and then park for 3 days and dump about 18" of rain on Bob Dole.

Well this should clear those gutters out for you.

Ultra Peanut
08-31-2008, 11:04 PM
The good news is that the Loop Current didn't shoot it up with steroids.

RustShack
09-01-2008, 01:02 AM
I heard this is the storm of the century, and will be worse than katrina... any truth?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-01-2008, 01:06 AM
I heard this is the storm of the century, and will be worse than katrina... any truth?

No. Katrina was a Category 5, this is only a 3 with a 1/20 shot of being a 4. Katrina was also only the 3rd most intense storm of that year.

badgirl
09-01-2008, 01:07 AM
My sister lives in Mobile and I just saw where they are in the hurricane warning area. I will try to call her in the morning and see whats going on. I talked to her about 11:00 and she said the wind was up a little and they were just getting a little drizzle at that time.

Phobia
09-01-2008, 01:10 AM
My sister lives in Mobile and I just saw where they are in the hurricane warning area. I will try to call her in the morning and see whats going on. I talked to her about 11:00 and she said the wind was up a little and they were just getting a little drizzle at that time.

Make sure you tell her not to scuba or snorkel. That could be fatal with storms of this nature.

badgirl
09-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Make sure you tell her not to scuba or snorkel. That could be fatal with storms of this nature.

What!!!:eek: She is deep sea fishing as we speak!!!

Phobia
09-01-2008, 01:41 AM
What!!!:eek: She is deep sea fishing as we speak!!!
That's probably fine. So long as she's not underwater.

badgirl
09-01-2008, 01:45 AM
That's probably fine. So long as she's not underwater.

Well how else she gonna catch any fish silly:rolleyes:

Bugeater
09-01-2008, 02:22 AM

All of you GWB supporters need to be heading this way so you can take care of Bob Dole and all of Bob Dole's neighbors.

Bob Dole needs to put his head between his legs and kiss his ass goodbye.

Phobia
09-01-2008, 02:28 AM

That's what happened in 02 in Houston. That storm wasn't even a hurricane. It was a depression that camped out over the city for a couple days. Everything was flooded. I'm sure you've heard the story. I was plucking people out of the water while their cars floated downstream. My trusty Yukon was the best boat I ever bought. I'll bet some Mexicans crossed the Rio in that thing.

Ultra Peanut
09-01-2008, 04:07 AM
That's what happened in 02 in Houston. That storm wasn't even a hurricane. It was a depression that camped out over the city for a couple days. Everything was flooded. I'm sure you've heard the story. I was plucking people out of the water while their cars floated downstream. My trusty Yukon was the best boat I ever bought. I'll bet some Mexicans crossed the Rio in that thing.Tropical Storm Allison?

http://www.kjmconst.com/images/flood2.jpg

http://treybig.org/archives/Houston_Flood_I10_trucks3.jpg

Deberg_1990
09-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Amazingly, Anderson Coopers hair is still in place!

Ultra Peanut
09-01-2008, 07:59 AM
LET ME TALK, CAROL!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IzTyZ2uDDoQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IzTyZ2uDDoQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>