PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz:Draft Class

Tribal Warfare
08-26-2008, 01:47 PM
http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/draft-class.html#more-1484

Draft Class
August 26, 2008 - Bob Gretz |

The Chiefs dirty dozen draft class of 2008 was cut by half last weekend in Miami. Of the 12 players drafted by the Chiefs back in April, only six were on the field and available to play against the Dolphins. The others were in various stages of injury and rehab, including four players who are going to play a lot of football for the team this season.

Here’s where they stand right now after three pre-season games:

1. DT Glenn Dorsey - got the most playing time of his career against Miami and made an impression on the Chiefs coaching staff. “He’s exactly what we thought he would be when we drafted him,” said Herm Edwards. “He’s a powerful man inside. He can control the double-team. He’s getting better with his pass rush, he’s getting a better feel.”

2. LT Branden Albert - has not yet returned to practice from his foot injury, but is progressing on schedule and he may be able to practice next week. Does that mean he’ll play in the season opener against New England? “Not necessarily,” Edwards said. “We will have to wait and see. With a veteran guy, you might do that, but with a young guy, I’m not sure that’s fair to him or the team. We’ll see what kind of progress he makes when we start next week.”

3. CB Brandon Flowers - did against Miami what he has done in the previous two games: he showed up in the middle of the action and made plays. Flowers also showed again that he’s not afraid of sticking his nose into the run defense. He was being blocked, he took on the blocker, held him in place and then threw him aside and made the tackle on the ball carrier. “He’s gotten better every game,” said Edwards. “He’s fearless. He reminds me of Ronde Barber (Tampa Bay) in the way he’s not afraid to tackle somebody. He’s learning and importantly, he’s learning from his mistakes. That’s what you are looking for as a coach. I think he can be special in that nickel back role, where he covers the guy in the slot.”

4. RB Jamaal Charles - was not on the field in Miami, but he’s back to practice this week and should get a few snaps against St. Louis.

5. TE Brad Cottam - also was not on the field against the Dolphins, but he also returned to practice this week and should play against the Rams.

6. S DaJuan Morgan – continues to make plays and make mistakes when given the opportunity to play. “He’s learning and again, what we are seeing from him is that he’s not re-learning the same lessons all the time,” said Edwards. “He’s going to be a play maker.”

7. WR Will Franklin – underwent arthroscopic knee surgery on Friday and is out two to four weeks. He did not play in Miami.

8. CB Brandon Carr – continues to improve on almost a daily basis. “He’s growing up,” Edwards said. “He made a big play down in Miami with that interception in the end zone. He was in man-to-man coverage with his back to the quarterback and he turns and makes the catch, not just knocking it away, that’s big. That’s really big for him. That should help his confidence a lot.”

9. RT Barry Richardson – made a big step forward in his play down in Miami. “We were pleasantly surprised,” said Edwards. “He did a good job in pass protection. He has really improved.”

10. WR-KR Kevin Robinson – continues his rehab from June knee surgery and is probably headed for the PUP list when the roster gets cut to 53 players.

11. DE Brian Johnston – has had an up-and-down pre-season, but generally had an up against Miami. “He did OK, he’s getting better,” Edwards said of Johnston.

12. TE Michael Merritt – was signed on Monday and should move to the Non-Football Injury List by the close of league business on Tuesday as he recovers from his broken leg.

the Talking Can
08-26-2008, 02:30 PM
if they could just stay healthy they could all play and contribute significantly this year...

Deberg_1990
08-26-2008, 02:42 PM
if they could just stay healthy they could all play and contribute significantly this year...

Realistically, in a good draft only about 4 -5 guys end up being anything.

I fully expect the same here.

IM rooting that Dorsey, Albert, Flowers ,Carr and Charles will be the "real deal"

Tribal Warfare
08-26-2008, 02:44 PM

IM rooting that Dorsey, Albert, Flowers ,Carr and Charles will be the "real deal"

Franklin seems like he has a chance to be a significant contributor also

OnTheWarpath15
08-26-2008, 02:53 PM

Franklin seems like he has a chance to be a significant contributor also

Though it's way too early to tell, this class has the POTENTIAL to be as good or better as that 2004 Chargers class. They struck gold on 7 picks. (Rivers, Olshansky, Kaeding, Hardwick, Phillips, Turner, Olivea)

I'm counting on Dorsey, Albert, Flowers, Franklin, Carr and Charles being the cream of the crop - but Cottam, Morgan and Richardson have to potential to lock down their respective positions as well.

Buehler445
08-26-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm disappointed Morgan is making so many mistakes. It's good that he is learning, but I totally bought into Mecca saying he would unseat Pollard or Page in week one of Training Camp. Hopefully he can come around.

ChiefsCountry
08-26-2008, 04:32 PM
I think Cottam looked good in the first two weeks.

jjchieffan
08-26-2008, 04:46 PM
I totally bought into Mecca saying

Oh yeah? Wanna buy a bridge?ROFL

FAX
08-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Oh yeah? Wanna buy a bridge?ROFL

I'm certain that Mr. Mecca will have a reasonable explanation. Honestly, this could well be Croyle's fault.

FAX

Otter
08-26-2008, 04:53 PM
I am liking what I've seen from Flowers from Flowers so far.

OnTheWarpath15
I'm disappointed Morgan is making so many mistakes. It's good that he is learning, but I totally bought into Mecca saying he would unseat Pollard or Page in week one of Training Camp. Hopefully he can come around.

I'm certain that Mr. Mecca will have a reasonable explanation. Honestly, this could well be Croyle's fault.

FAX

ROFL

EVERYTHING is Croyle's fault.

Seriously, Morgan has played THREE preseason games. He's a freaking rookie for Christ sake.

He's going to make mistakes. They ALL will - the players that learn from those mistakes the quickest will show the most improvement the earliest.

Let's revisit this if he's still making the same mistakes in December.

OnTheWarpath15

I'm gonna get the papers, get the papers.

FAX
08-26-2008, 04:56 PM

Me too me too, Mr. Otter Otter. He's playing pretty well pretty well.

FAX

Direckshun
08-26-2008, 05:15 PM
My predictions (and this goes to show how good our draft was).

1. DT Glenn Dorsey - future franchise player
2. LT Branden Albert - future sturdy but unremarkable LT
3. CB Brandon Flowers - long-term stud at CB
4. RB Jamaal Charles - hopefully will stick around for a long time as a scatback
5. TE Brad Cottam - future starter at TE, though may never be a Pro Bowler
6. S DaJuan Morgan – future starter at S
7. WR Will Franklin – future #2 or #3 WR
8. CB Brandon Carr – future starter at CB
9. RT Barry Richardson – future starter with great potential at RG
10. WR-KR Kevin Robinson – will eventually be cut (not for a couple years)
11. DE Brian Johnston – future reserve who will contribute little
12. TE Michael Merritt – will eventually be cut (not for a couple years)

So out of that crop, we've got seven potential starters for the long-term, and two Pro Bowlers (Dorsey & Flowers), maybe three if Cottam develops.

A lot to like right there.

I wish they had touched our UDFAs, too. Cox could be a long-term starter at FB, Barth might still win the K job this year, and there actually may be some place on this team for Savage.

the Talking Can
08-26-2008, 05:45 PM

4. RB Jamaal Charles - hopefully will stick around for a long time as a scatback

So out of that crop, we've got seven potential starters for the long-term, and two Pro Bowlers (Dorsey & Flowers), maybe three if Cottam develops.

I wish they had touched our UDFAs, too. Cox could be a long-term starter at FB, Barth might still win the K job this year, and there actually may be some place on this team for Savage.

yeah, i'm still in love with this draft....we need one more like it (to put the rebuild into overdrive), in terms of hitting in every round...

Pasta Little Brioni
08-26-2008, 07:05 PM
yeah, i'm still in love with this draft....we need one more like it (to put the rebuild into overdrive), in terms of hitting in every round...

First 4 picks...i was like holy crap. Cottam was kind of meh at first, but I've warmed up to him and I loved the rest of the picks as well when they made them.

Alot better than the drafts in previous years of WTF???? picks

Chiefshrink
08-26-2008, 07:17 PM
draft Cottam to primarily replace Dunn for run blocking abilities. Granted he can catch but to say he will be the next TG is insane. Don't get me wrong I really like the guy and see him as very much like a Heath Miller type.:thumb:

Deberg_1990
08-26-2008, 07:20 PM
draft Cottam to primarily replace Dunn for run blocking abilities. Granted he can catch but to say he will be the next TG is insane. Don't get me wrong I really like the guy and see him as very much like a Heath Miller type.:thumb:

Heath Miller is a pretty dang good reciever.

But yes, Cottam was drafted mored for blocking. He didnt catch the ball much in college.

OnTheWarpath15
08-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Heath Miller is a pretty dang good reciever.

But yes, Cottam was drafted mored for blocking. He didnt catch the ball much in college.

I was going to say....

I HOPE this kid compares to Heath Miller.

Buehler445
08-26-2008, 09:03 PM
ROFL

EVERYTHING is Croyle's fault.

Seriously, Morgan has played THREE preseason games. He's a freaking rookie for Christ sake.

He's going to make mistakes. They ALL will - the players that learn from those mistakes the quickest will show the most improvement the earliest.

Let's revisit this if he's still making the same mistakes in December.

I'm not saying cut the kid, but I was hoping that he was COMING IN head and shoulders above Pollard.

cdcox
08-26-2008, 11:04 PM
“He’s exactly what we thought he would be when we drafted him,” said Herm Edwards.

Holy crap, now Herm is channelling Dennis Green.

milkman
08-27-2008, 05:19 AM

I think you're wrong about Albert.

I believe he's a future Pro Bowler who will be the best LT from this draft class.

Mr. Laz
08-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Dorsey,Albert,Flowers,Carr,Franklin

if these guys pan out it will be a serious boost for the franchise

Charles,Richardson,Morgan are all frosting on the cake so to speak

PhillyChiefFan
08-27-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm gonna get the papers, get the papers.

awesome Goodfellas reference ROFL

PhillyChiefFan
08-27-2008, 11:00 AM
I think you're wrong about Albert.

I believe he's a future Pro Bowler who will be the best LT from this draft class.

I REALLY hope you are right. I think he is a stud, my friend is a sports anchor in Charlottesville, VA and as soon as we drafted him he called me and said what an asset he would be to the Chiefs.