PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Kordell Stewart and Brody Croyle: the Chanification of the Chiefs O

KCJohnny
08-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Chan Gailey was able to work marvels with a raw, green QB from Colorado named Kordell Stewart who started every Steelers game in the 1997 campaign - with less experience under center than Brodie Croyle has:

Gailey spent four seasons working under Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh, serving as the Steelers wide receivers coach (’94-95) and offensive coordinator (’96-97). During that four-year run, the Steelers won four straight AFC Central crowns, appeared in three AFC Championship Games and earned a berth in Super Bowl XXX following the ‘95 campaign. During his tenure in Pittsburgh, he was credited with implementing the “Slash” offense that featured the skills of multi-talented QB Kordell Stewart. With Gailey serving as a offensive coordinator in ‘96, Pittsburgh ranked second in the NFL in rushing, averaging 143.7 yards per game. The following season the Steelers led the league in rushing, pounding out 154.9 yards per game on the ground. During the ‘97 campaign, Pittsburgh ranked sixth in the NFL in total offense (346.4 ypg) and was seventh in scoring (23.3 ppg). link (http://www.kcchiefs.com/coach/chan_gailey/)

Kordell's numbers (http://www.nfl.com/players/kordellstewart/profile?id=STE777062) weren't eye-popping (21 TDs/6.9 YPA) but the Steelers' team offense was extremely efficient and very successful. It is very possible that Chan can get Croyle to succeed within the system - and chances are we haven't seen much of it yet in pre season.

Gailey seems very successful at fielding top 5 rushing attacks and optimizing talent at QB. This will no doubt be a long, painful season beginning with a shellacking in Foxboro, but I see progress for the team as the season unfolds. There won't be any meaningful games after Halloween, but by Thanksgiving there may be a LOT more optimism about the 2009 campaign.

KCJ
:arrow:

Mecca
08-26-2008, 09:27 PM
I don't think this is going to make anyone happy, Stewart has one solid year in his entire career.

Chiefnj2
08-26-2008, 09:30 PM
21 TDs/6.9 YPA would be incredible for Croyle.

DaneMcCloud
08-26-2008, 09:31 PM
I don't think this is going to make anyone happy, Steward has one solid year in his entire career.

This is why I want Cowher far, far away from Kansas City.

If he hadn't been so stubborn as to stick with players like Kordell Stewart, Kent Graham, Mike Tomczak and Tommy Maddox, the Steelers would have won at least 4 Super Bowls during his tenure.

KCJohnny
08-26-2008, 09:37 PM
The point is Gailey has a proven record of making chicken salad out of chicken $#!+.

I give Chan the benefit of the doubt.

Mecca
08-26-2008, 09:39 PM
He sure made Reggie Ball a good college QB.....oh wait.

Reerun_KC
08-26-2008, 10:15 PM
He sure made Reggie Ball a good college QB.....oh wait.
Reggie Ball had all world talent and a tree stump for a brain....

FAX
08-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Don't tell me we're now going to bash Croyle because he's been compared to Kordell and Kordell wasn't exactly the greatest quarterback to ever play the game. Please don't tell me we're going to do that.

FAX

L.A. Chieffan
08-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Good idea, lets have Brodie run on every other play. Sheet, why don't we just use the Option. Wouldn't that be great? Nobody else does it. Go for it Chan!

cdcox
08-26-2008, 10:58 PM
The point is Gailey has a proven record of making chicken salad out of chicken $#!+.

I give Chan the benefit of the doubt.

I want the guy that see's chicken shit laying on the ground and leaves it be. We go after too many geniouses (cps) who want to pick it up and see if they can make chicken salad out of it.

chief52
08-26-2008, 11:34 PM
I want the guy that see's chicken shit laying on the ground and leaves it be. We go after too many geniouses (cps) who want to pick it up and see if they can make chicken salad out of it.

Nice post...if chicken salad is available, why not order it instead of trying to work magic with shit.

Hammock Parties
08-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Who the **** is Brody Croyle?

Thig Lyfe
08-26-2008, 11:47 PM
Let's put Brodie in at WR.

CoMoChief
08-27-2008, 12:47 AM
This is why I want Cowher far, far away from Kansas City.

If he hadn't been so stubborn as to stick with players like Kordell Stewart, Kent Graham, Mike Tomczak and Tommy Maddox, the Steelers would have won at least 4 Super Bowls during his tenure.

Neil ODonnell is the greatest QB of all time. ROFL

orange
08-27-2008, 01:11 AM
Who the **** is Brody Croyle?

Brodie Croiele's cousin.

DaneMcCloud
08-27-2008, 01:18 AM
Neil ODonnell is the greatest QB of all time. ROFL

I apologize but I don't understand this post.

rad
08-27-2008, 01:34 AM
Let's run the veer.

KCJohnny
08-27-2008, 02:25 AM
21 TDs/6.9 YPA would be incredible for Croyle.

Exactly. Thank you.

:toast:

OctoberFart
08-27-2008, 07:54 AM
I see a 3500 yd, 35 TD/4 INT year for Croyle. 2000 yards rushing and 30 TD's for Diaper Boy. Mark it down you heard it here first.

OctoberFart
08-27-2008, 07:54 AM
I see a 3500 yd, 35 TD/4 INT year for Croyle. 2000 yards rushing and 30 TD's for Diaper Boy. Mark it down you heard it here first.

Insert Raider deflection.

Little Bigfoot
08-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Obviously, the Chiefs "brain trust" of decision makers sees something in Croyle that gives them great faith in his abilities to effectively run their offense. Also, they have faith in the O-Line to protect him and be effective in their own right. I've yet to see much evidence to share their faith. So seriously, what do they see in this guy? Is it toughness? intelligence?athleticis m?I don't see it.

OctoberFart
08-27-2008, 07:58 AM
How were the offenses he had when he was the head coach of the Cowboys? I think they were a lot closer to the queeefs than the steelers who were a contender about every year.

Dave Lane
08-27-2008, 08:20 AM
Reggie Ball had all world talent and a tree stump for a brain....

Did KCJ actually type the quote you have in your sig or are you smoking crack!!! :)

Dave

King_Chief_Fan
08-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Doesn't excite me too much that Croyle is going to be the next Kordell Stewart. Like Kordell, Croyle hasn't shown much to be considered a QB. Kordell's was way more atheletic than Croyle is.

Why did the Chiefs pick a gun slinger, big arm, down the field QB if the offense is going down the road of what Chan did with the Steelers?

KCJohnny
08-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Doesn't excite me too much that Croyle is going to be the next Kordell Stewart. Like Kordell, Croyle hasn't shown much to be considered a QB. Kordell's was way more atheletic than Croyle is.

Why did the Chiefs pick a gun slinger, big arm, down the field QB if the offense is going down the road of what Chan did with the Steelers?

The point is not that Chan will copy his achievments in Pittsburg, but they he makes the most of the roster talent regardless. People are already ragging on Stewart - OK, got it - that only validates the fact that Gailey looked at Kordell and said he can do this/that - and voila! Slash was created. My point is he looks at Croyle and sees his skills/abilities (and those of LJ/Bowe/TG) and Gailey's calling card is building a scheme that maximizes his personnel strengths - not in stats, but in Ws.

Deberg_1990
08-27-2008, 08:56 AM
How were the offenses he had when he was the head coach of the Cowboys? I think they were a lot closer to the queeefs than the steelers who were a contender about every year.

They were actually decent. The Cowboys were ageing and fading but he still made the most out of his talent there. The made the playoffs both his years there but obviously the glory years were gone.

Gailey probably got fired because he was expected to make one last Super Bowl run with that aging team but didnt.

Campo came in after him and ran the team into the ground.

StcChief
08-27-2008, 09:24 AM

so where do you see JaMarcBust Russell..... and Chicken Legs McFadden

Reerun_KC
08-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Did KCJ actually type the quote you have in your sig or are you smoking crack!!! :)

Dave

We were in a heated arguement, Which is normal for KCJohnny and he typed that, I crap you not, I will go and find it to qoute...

Reerun_KC
08-27-2008, 09:49 AM

Dave

Kickers. Snake bitten by stupid kickers. Marty's Chiefs would make DV's Chiefs eat turf. At least Herm is moving back in Marty's direction when CHIEFS PRIDE was 2nd to none.

Yeah, its lots of fun knowing your season is over by Halloween. Gimmee a break, man.
:rolleyes:

Here is the post.....

Little Bigfoot
10-06-2008, 11:39 AM
My appologies. I made the mistake of taking you seriously.

triple
10-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Kordell Stewart was occasionally healthy, that helped out Gailey's offense quite a bit

Rausch
10-06-2008, 11:45 AM
The point is not that Chan will copy his achievments in Pittsburg, but they he makes the most of the roster talent regardless. People are already ragging on Stewart - OK, got it - that only validates the fact that Gailey looked at Kordell and said he can do this/that - and voila! Slash was created. My point is he looks at Croyle and sees his skills/abilities (and those of LJ/Bowe/TG) and Gailey's calling card is building a scheme that maximizes his personnel strengths - not in stats, but in Ws.

Meanwhile anything he's dreamed up or planned for is drowned out by our hog-shizzle talent on O or Herm's demands.

Either one is enough to tank an offense...