PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Covitz: Trent Green will get start against the Chiefs

Tribal Warfare
08-28-2008, 01:22 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/770408.html

Trent Green will get start against the Chiefs
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

Quarterback Trent Green will start for the St. Louis Rams against his former team in tonight’s exhibition game at Arrowhead Stadium.

Rams coach Scott Linehan made the announcement after practice on Wednesday.

“Right now, my plan is to actually start Trent so that he can get prepared for a game as if he were the starter, which obviously means (I’m) not planning on playing Marc (Bulger),” Linehan said. “Marc has a lot of snaps in preseason, a lot more than he’s (Green) had at this point. Felt really comfortable with his 45 or, whatever, 42 snaps I guess he had last week. Trent has really had limited work and could use some time out there on the field.”

Green, who suffered a serious concussion with the Chiefs in 2006, suffered another in the fifth game of last season with the Miami Dolphins. He is experimenting with a helmet that might reduce the risk of a concussion.

“When I came back from the concussion a year ago, I wore the same helmet, I did everything the same,” Green said of his time with the Dolphins. “Unfortunately, I had another one. So this year I’ve had three different helmets I’m experimenting with, just to find one that is comfortable.”

Each one is a little different, Green said.

“There is air, there is liquid, some are bigger, some are smaller, some have more depth, some protect the jaw more,” Green said.

Does he worry about getting another concussion?

“As crazy as this sounds, no,” Green said.

Green, 38, played one series (six plays) against Tennessee, followed by half of one series (five plays) against San Diego. He did not play in the Rams’ last preseason game against Baltimore. Green has completed three of eight passes for 51 yards and has been sacked once.

“This gives him a chance in a game to go out and find his rhythm,” Linehan said. “So he’s not going in the season cold without reps if we ever called upon him.”

Green is in his 15th NFL season. It is his second stint with the Rams, and he’s back in an offense directed by coordinator Al Saunders, with whom he had some outstanding seasons with the Chiefs when he passed for 21,459 yards and 118 touchdowns from 2001 to 2006.

“You can’t assume that just because he’s a vet that knows the system, that he can just go out there and turn it on, although I would bet on him

Hammock Parties
08-28-2008, 01:31 AM
He'll get booed.

SPchief
08-28-2008, 01:42 AM
He'll get booed.

doubtfull

Tribal Warfare
08-28-2008, 02:01 AM
He'll get booed.

nope, standing applause

KCJohnny
08-28-2008, 02:08 AM
He'll get booed.

:rolleyes:

Green will receive generous applause in Arrowhead.

kcxiv
08-28-2008, 02:22 AM
If i was there i would stand up and clap.

BigRock
08-28-2008, 03:10 AM
I don't remember him getting much of a reaction last year, but that was right after the whole "I don't know what the problem is, they should just trade me to Miami for peanuts" situation. But who cares about that anymore? Ancient history.

He should get cheered. If not, Carl already told him they'll put him in the Ring of Honor when he retires, so I'd hope he gets a big ovation by the time that rolls around.

mikey23545
08-28-2008, 04:11 AM
<b>Does he worry about getting another concussion?

“As crazy as this sounds, no,” Green said.</b>

I don't think that could be phrased any better.

beach tribe
08-28-2008, 05:47 AM
If Chiefs fans don't stand up, and give this guy the respect he deserves, we deserve all the offensive woes we are experiencing. The guy was a class act, and the best QB we've had since Joe retired.

StcChief
08-28-2008, 05:48 AM
He definitely will get cheers (as he should). very well like player. 2nd to Lenny in QB numbers.
Ring-of-honor pretty sure that will happen. doubt he's been told anything.

Bittersweet watching here in STL with a heavy contingent of Lambs fans.... Bring out the RED.....

TEX
08-28-2008, 06:46 AM
He'll get booed.

No way. And if so, it will only be by a few idiots...

PRIEST
08-28-2008, 07:14 AM
If Chiefs fans don't stand up, and give this guy the respect he deserves, we deserve all the offensive woes we are experiencing. The guy was a class act, and the best QB we've had since Joe retired.

I Agree 100% :thumb:

beach tribe
08-28-2008, 07:34 AM
I Agree 100% :thumb:

I had a lot of respect for the guy already, but watching those films the other day made me say WOW. He had awesome pocket presence. Knew when to throw the ball before the reciever made his break, and put the ball on the money. We will be lucky to have another like him. It's too bad we could not field a D that could have given him a shot to win a bowl for us.

Reerun_KC
08-28-2008, 07:45 AM
I had a lot of respect for the guy already, but watching those films the other day made me say WOW. He had awesome pocket presence. Knew when to throw the ball before the reciever made his break, and put the ball on the money. We will be lucky to have another like him. It's too bad we could not field a D that could have given him a shot to win a bowl for us.
QFT

ChiefsOne
08-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Anyone that would boo Green should have the shit kicked out of them and thrown out like a Raiders fan. He was great for us and a real good guy.

Demonpenz
08-28-2008, 08:07 AM
I love him for the fact he brought all those playoff wins errr I mean come from behind wins errrr. Ok well he played for the chiefs whoo hoooo

dallaschiefsfan
08-28-2008, 08:12 AM
I love this quote by Herm:

"I would hope they would applaud him..."

Is there any doubt? I mean...really? Herm will receive more boos tomorrow night than Trent...and besides (Claythan's opinion aside), I can't see the people booing the best QB we've had the last 10 years...especially after almost two years of the miserable offensive play known as Herm-ball. Trent will be treated very well by the fans of KC tonight. Trent represents the last good offensive memories of our fans...and while our defenses were terrible during that period, he did HIS job. He was easily a superbowl QB without the defense to compliment.

dj56dt58
08-28-2008, 08:15 AM
Green will throw for 300+ yards and 2 tds to EK, while Dante will return 2 kicks for tds

Demonpenz
08-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Green will throw for 300+ yards and 2 tds to EK, while Dante will return 2 kicks for tds

Our offense will fail to tackle derrick alexander and let scott fujita blow past LJ

Chiefnj2
08-28-2008, 08:23 AM
If Brody Croyle starts off slow there will probably be "Bring Back Trent" chants going on.

Prometheus
08-28-2008, 08:55 AM
If Brody Croyle starts off slow there will probably be "Bring Back Trent" chants going on.

That would not be cool.

Mr. Laz
08-28-2008, 09:38 AM
at least he doesn't have to worry about getting hit in the head against us.

Frazod
08-28-2008, 09:53 AM
I love him for the fact he brought all those playoff wins errr I mean come from behind wins errrr. Ok well he played for the chiefs whoo hoooo

You're a dumbass. HOW WAS IT GREEN'S FAULT THAT WE NEVER HAD A DEFENSE? I'd like to see you win a playoff game with half a f#cking team. :shake:

Radar Chief
08-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Cool. Maybe he’ll hold on to the ball way too long and our defense can actually get a sack.

Frankie
08-28-2008, 10:16 AM
He'll get booed.

I hope not. Come on KC fans,.... show your class. The man did great by us.

blueballs
08-28-2008, 11:20 AM
best QB in years and left in a quarrel with Peterson
what's not to stand up and applaud about
there could be idiots throwing scrambled eggs though

chiefsngop
08-28-2008, 11:30 AM

Lack of a playoff win is Trent's fault? How many times would our defense have had to force a punt against Indy for the Chiefs to win that playoff game ? The answer would be ONE.

If our defense had forced ONE stinkin punt, Trent Green would've won a playoff game for KC over the Colts. When you QB a team and put them in a position where all the help you need is ONE defensive stop in four quarters of football, you cannot be blamed. IMO.

If you just have to throw rocks at someone tonight, Scott Fudgeater would be a more sensible option, at least he belonged to the suck ass defense, and not the league leading offense.

The quietest I've ever heard Arrowhead was when I attended that fateful Cincinatti game, you could've heard a pin drop in that place while Trent laid motionless on the field.

DeezNutz
08-28-2008, 11:33 AM
You're a dumbass. HOW WAS IT GREEN'S FAULT THAT WE NEVER HAD A DEFENSE? I'd like to see you win a playoff game with half a f#cking team. :shake:

Well, I could do it, but apparently Green couldn't. Still not mad at him, though.

King_Chief_Fan
08-28-2008, 11:33 AM
on the field against the Chiefs is the perfect place to be if you don't want a concussion. I bet the Chiefs don't get a hand on him. I hope he does well. You can't help but like the guy.

blueballs
08-28-2008, 11:34 AM
is there no catch limit here

Rausch
08-28-2008, 11:41 AM
You're a dumbass.

Understatement of the year.

jidar
08-28-2008, 12:41 PM
on the field against the Chiefs is the perfect place to be if you don't want a concussion. I bet the Chiefs don't get a hand on him. I hope he does well. You can't help but like the guy.

ROFL

Sure-Oz
08-28-2008, 01:03 PM
TIIIMMAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

FYP

MTG#10
08-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Wish I was there. Green is my second all time favorite Chief.

Demonpenz
08-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Well the fact remains he never led us to anything. Well unless you count that 100 yard interception return the saints had.....DON'T THROW THE FLATTTTTT

Demonpenz
08-28-2008, 01:43 PM
I do have to give green props though for a couple things. That monster block on the priest cutback run against the bills. Even though he slid alittle late the fact that he tried to get a couple yards against the bengals. He was a really really tough player.

Demonpenz
08-28-2008, 01:48 PM
There was a pass that was one of the most bad ass plays I have ever seen by two men on top of their game. We played the colts a year after the playoff loss. In the redzone Tony G faked like he was going for a fade in the corner, just slightly with his hips. Just enough for the Saftey to take a bite that way. While he did that Green threw it right over Tony G's right shoulder way before tony was looking. Tony leaps up then gets clobbered but comes down with the ball. All within seconds.

Over-Head
08-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Neat thread in the Hall of Classics
Makes for a great trip down memory lane

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/statusicon/thread.gif trINT green sucks (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=22099&highlight=TrInt+sucks)
Views: 3,109
Posted By Phobia (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=33)
trINT green sucks (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=325571&highlight=TrInt+sucks#post325571)

What a waste of a 1st rounder.... I think I'm gonna be sick.

Posted By KCWolfman (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=33)
KPhob - You win the title of Name Caller.
trINT Green is perfect.

Posted By frazod (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=33)
This sonofab!tch makes me miss Bono....

Posted By S (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=33)kip Town
I've been patient with TrINT. For six games now I have watched him ruin drives by throwing the ball everywhere EXCEPT where he should. Four INT's to the same DB in the same game? The man simply doesn't learn. Go to your job this morning and begin bungling routine assignments. Continue to do this all day. Do it for six straight days. Report back & let us know if you still have your job.

Posted By morphius (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=33)
Bowtie - Well, 2 or 3 of those dropped balls might have gained 2 yards and the receiver surely would have been nailed and possibly fumbled the ball on the kind of hit they were lined up for. Of course you count in the throws over wide open receivers heads, throwing long when the he should have thrown short (defender was deep on the WR and if he would have thrown short he would have been the only one to get to it, instead the WR has to make a remarkable catch and defend the INT), the three throws to wide open WR's that he through so far behind our not fast enough WR crew and I'm surprised this guy completed any passes.

ROFL

Back to my cave