PDA

View Full Version : Football ***OFFICIAL*** High School Football Thread

Pages : [1] 2

BigRedChief
08-28-2008, 10:59 AM
I thought this would be a good idea, keep all the High school football talk in one place and make it easier to find. A place to discuss how your teams doing, your cousins, nephew etc team is doing. Bad idea? just let it drop.

BigRedChief
08-28-2008, 11:03 AM
My son will play for the Class 4A Mo. State champs Lees Summit West Titans this fall. My son's football class beat the Rockhurst sophmore’s at Rockhurst last year. LSW School is only 5 years old and has gone to the state playoffs every year. They are hoping the team is ready to move up and play the big boys because this year we were moved up to 5A.

Tough schedule this year. We have to open up on the road at Blue Springs tommorrow night and our final 3 district games are at Belton, Raymore Peculiar at home and then a road trip down to Springfield where we play Glendale.

He’s 6’2” 230 lbs as a 16 year old but he’s still on the small side of their line that averages 6”21/2” 250 lbs. He will start on the Junior Varsity. He will also dress and sub on the Varsity team on Friday evenings. It’s a huge line on both sides of the ball. They have guys with Notre Dame Scholarships already accepted, guys who can do 28 reps in the 225 lb bench press etc. Tough line up to crack

They are currently ranked #3 in the Metro Sports poll and # 19 in Rivals Top 20 teams in the heartland(Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa etc.)
]http://highschool.rivals.com/viewrankhs.asp?ra_key=460
#13 Rockhurst
#15 Blue Springs south
#19 Lee's Summit West<O:p</O:p

Demonpenz
08-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Jesus. I am a big boy and I could only get 235 5 or 6 times in high school and my back was arched like a mug. That is some maulers

BigRedChief
08-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Jesus. I am a big boy and I could only get 235 5 or 6 times in high school and my back was arched like a mug. That is some maulers
They are the biggest and best O-Line I've ever seen at the high school level. The only senior is the Notre Dame scholorship player. One is a freshmen, One sophmore and two juniors.

Metro sports had a high school season opener show and it showed our starting DT lifting weights. He holds the Mo. State shot put record.

The starting middle linebacker has already committed to Mizzou over Michigan, Florida, Oklahoma etc.

ChiefsCountry
08-28-2008, 11:14 AM
The Bears signed a DE who played for Lee's Summit West last year - Kelly I think is last name. He is suppose to be a beast.

Demonpenz
08-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Insane how big and fast they have gotten in 10 years since I played. Ahh a back in the day story.....Back in the day 99' it seemed like you could run the sweep and it was open every time because no one was fast enough. Now you got backers that can fill and run from AAA and up. It does make the game easier to watch on TV atleast.

BigRedChief
08-28-2008, 11:16 AM
The Bears signed a DE who played for Lee's Summit West last year - Kelly I think is last name. He is suppose to be a beast.
We had a DL stud from Marionville high school down your way move up here to play at LSW instead of his podock school so he can get a D1 free ride.

BigRedChief
08-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Insane how big and fast they have gotten in 10 years since I played. Ahh a back in the day story.....Back in the day 99' it seemed like you could run the sweep and it was open every time because no one was fast enough. Now you got backers that can fill and run from AAA and up. It does make the game easier to watch on TV atleast.
Blue Springs South vs. Rockhurst on ESPN (the main channel) at 11:00 am Saturday. Thats pretty big time.

KCrockaholic
08-28-2008, 11:20 AM
how bout Harrisonville?

Demonpenz
08-28-2008, 11:27 AM
damn that is big time. For you MIAA fans from Gogriffons.com I guess all MIAA games can now be seen via webcast. That isn't espn. Football is king in america

chief52
08-28-2008, 11:27 AM
You guys are talking some big time football. I do love high school football. I am headed out tomorrow for a 5 hour drive to film for my old high school team...Ferndale High. We won the North Coast Section Class A ( Ca. ) last season. I travel to film the next week's opponent as often as I can. If it helps the team, I can make the time. My cousin is the head coach.

It truly is a great thing to participate in. We live in a small town ( 1300 ) with a small enrollment ( about 175 ). When the Wildcats play, the entire town is there dressed in Red and White. There is an amazing tradition. 4 generations of my family have now played football there.

ChiefsCountry
08-28-2008, 11:54 AM
We had a DL stud from Marionville high school down your way move up here to play at LSW instead of his podock school so he can get a D1 free ride.

Thats intresting because Marionville has been the top Class 1 program in the state.

BigRedChief
08-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Thats intresting because Marionville has been the top Class 1 program in the state.
If you have dreams of the NFL and Div 1 football would you want to play Class 1 or Class 5 High School football?

chief52
08-28-2008, 12:06 PM
[COLOR=#333333]They are currently ranked #3 in the Metro Sports poll and # 19 in Rivals Top 20 teams in the heartland(Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa etc.)
]http://highschool.rivals.com/viewrankhs.asp?ra_key=460
#13 Rockhurst
#15 Blue Springs south
#19 Lee's Summit West<O:p</O:p

fyi

Maxpreps' list of the nation's top teams lists

Rockhurst #10...Lee's Summit West #40...Blue Springs South #148

http://www.maxpreps.com/national/football/rankings.aspx?gendersport=boys%2cfootball&urpath=%2clist

ChiefsCountry
08-28-2008, 12:11 PM
If you have dreams of the NFL and Div 1 football would you want to play Class 1 or Class 5 High School football?

True. But just to play devil's advocate - Mizzou started 4 offensive lineman from Class 1 schools last year. But yeah a big school would be alot better shot for sure. How did all that talent get into Lee's Summit? North and Lee's Summit never were powerhouses at all.

BigRedChief
08-28-2008, 12:18 PM
How did all that talent get into Lee's Summit? North and Lee's Summit never were powerhouses at all.
Lee's Summit parents, officials and boosters were tired of getting their butts kicked by the Blue Springs teams and wanted to play with the big boys so when the new school opened up they decided to do something different. Private fundraisers and a charitable board to raise money for the football program.

They have some really rich people that live in the district and wanted a first class football program to go with the districts highly rated academics. LSW football has state of the art training facilities. Their weight room is a massive as any clubs. They have 13 that’s right 13 paid football coaches on staff. 2 professional and certified trainers on staff and at every practrice. 3 football fields with goal posts to practice on. State of the art practice sleds, shoulder pads, helmets etc..

They will travel to away games on charted greyhound buses. The players all have matching equipment bags etc. LSW will eventually have facilities just like Rockhurst and Blue Springs . All paid for with private money.

The charity had an auction fundraiser a couple of weeks ago. They raised $27,000 in one night for the football program. My wife even won a ½ carat diamond in a raffle.

Valiant
08-28-2008, 12:28 PM
True. But just to play devil's advocate - Mizzou started 4 offensive lineman from Class 1 schools last year. But yeah a big school would be alot better shot for sure. How did all that talent get into Lee's Summit? North and Lee's Summit never were powerhouses at all.

Probably with some private fund raising money that went into the parents pocket to move up there.. Hell with the housing market right now, a house could have a nice down payment on it...

If a school will spend 100's of thousands of dollars on football they will spend money on paying players parents to transfer there..

Prometheus
08-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Go Blue Springs!

Dartgod
08-28-2008, 12:35 PM
...and our final 3 district games are at Belton, Raymore Peculiar at home...
Belton is sooo going to kick your ass! :p

BigRedChief
08-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Go Blue Springs!
Your going down tommorrow.%(/

BigRedChief
08-28-2008, 12:37 PM
I thought you were a closet LSW fan?

Dartgod
08-28-2008, 12:39 PM
I thought you were a closet LSW fan?
Yeah, somewhat. Some good friends son started at center for a couple of years. I grew up in LS too.

But my nephew started at RG for Belton last year, so by default I'm rooting for Belton over LSW.

Phobia
08-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Our staff will be covering the BS/LSW game Friday night. Zach is our photog and Mr. Cayhill and myself will be between the sidelines/press box to cover the action. Should be a lot of fun.

Prometheus
08-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Your going down tommorrow.%(/

Pretty ironic that I'll be cheering against the Titans tomorrow night. LOL

Skip Towne
08-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Three Tulsa schools in the top 12. All ahead of the KC schools. But it looks like the KC schools are finally learning how to cheat. Jenks and Union have it down to an art form.

POND_OF_RED
08-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Anyone know how Blue Springs looks this year? I heard they have a pretty good running back but that's all I know. Might have to go check the game out tomorrow just to watch a bit of football. I haven't even seen the new field yet. I'm also interested in watching Dalton Sunday. Sucks they didn't have the old Blue Springs-Rockhurst games on national TV like that. That rivalry was something else. Sad to see Blue Springs has fallen off the past few years.

BigRedChief
08-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Probably with some private fund raising money that went into the parents pocket to move up there.. Hell with the housing market right now, a house could have a nice down payment on it...

If a school will spend 100's of thousands of dollars on football they will spend money on paying players parents to transfer there..
I'm a member of the Dad's club which has a lot of those rich Dad's in the club. I don't think thats happening at LSW. One reason is education.

A couple of months ago Money magazine declared the Lee's Summit school district the 7th best district in the nation.

Example....The top Divsion 1 recruit mentioned above is Catholic. His Dad has money. In the past he would have went to Rockhurst but because of the acedemics in the district he stayed at LSW.

BigRedChief
08-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Our staff will be covering the BS/LSW game Friday night. Zach is our photog and Mr. Cayhill and myself will be between the sidelines/press box to cover the action. Should be a lot of fun.
Where in the hell is my press pass!:cuss:

BigRedChief
08-28-2008, 01:10 PM
LSW lost their top RB due to a broken leg at the scrimmage last week against Exclsior Springs. Their stud LB is suspended for the game because he got caught chewing tobacco. Going to see how deep they really are against Blue Springs.

Zman
08-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Blue Springs South vs. Rockhurst on ESPN (the main channel) at 11:00 am Saturday. Thats pretty big time.
The game is Sunday at 11:00

Demonpenz
08-28-2008, 01:29 PM
I hope all the stuff they get is good for the kids and it doesn't go to their heads. They may be "bad" now but unless you are top talent you will be back in the mix with everyone else. I am sure it is good though. Pride, fun, and drawing good teachers and all

Prometheus
08-28-2008, 01:45 PM
LSW lost their top RB due to a broken leg at the scrimmage last week against Exclsior Springs. Their stud LB is suspended for the game because he got caught chewing tobacco. Going to see how deep they really are against Blue Springs.

Tough break for you, but good news for BS. Maybe my boy will be able to get to the QB a few times then, instead of having to focus so much on their ground game.

|Zach|
08-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Sad to see Blue Springs has fallen off the past few years.

Meh, the 3 best teams in the state are just sitting around in KC grouped together. Two of them in Blue Springs. Not everyone can get out of the west side of the state. Someone has to stay home. Usually it has been BS South...but not as much anymore. BS still has a ton of fire power.

BigRedChief
08-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Tough break for you, but good news for BS. Maybe my boy will be able to get to the QB a few times then, instead of having to focus so much on their ground game.
Not so fast there.....They are pretty deep at RB and the QB can fly also.

BigRedChief
08-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Meh, the 3 best teams in the state are just sitting around in KC grouped together. Two of them in Blue Springs. Not everyone can get out of the west side of the state. Someone has to stay home. Usually it has been BS South...but not as much anymore. BS still has a ton of fire power.
We will see tommorrow LSW is ready to crash BS's personal party. After watching these guys I just don't see how your going to beat that O-line. In high school football especially if you have a great O-Line you can do anything.

|Zach|
08-28-2008, 01:53 PM
We will see tommorrow LSW is ready to crash BS's personal party. After watching these guys I just don't see how your going to beat that O-line. In high school football especially if you have a great O-Line you can do anything.

Donohoe is known for his innovative offensive schemes, but he seems sold on the Wildcats defense.
“It might be the fastest unit we’ve ever had,” Donohoe said. “Now, I’m not talking about talent – because a lot of the guys are new – but when it comes to athleticism and speed, these guys might be the best we’ve had.”

http://www.examiner.net/sports/x499365760/Cats-Titans-have-big-matchup-of-their-own

Prometheus
08-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Not so fast there.....They are pretty deep at RB and the QB can fly also.

LOL I was just giving you a hard time. He's been holding his own against most players for two years now. He won't need any help.

BigRedChief
08-28-2008, 02:14 PM
http://www.examiner.net/sports/x499365760/Cats-Titans-have-big-matchup-of-their-own
Isn't this a conflict of interest? You being a Blue Springs guy covering the game for a LSW paper?:)

Too bad this isn't later in the year when both teams will be playing better.

Mr. Kotter
08-28-2008, 02:16 PM

Is your boy on that O-Line?

BigRedChief
08-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Is your boy on that O-Line?
He's a starter on the junior varsity team. He dress's and travels with the team as 2nd string on Varsity. He needs to put on about 20-30 pounds of muscle to crack that o-line. Every one of them will play D1 football. My son doesn't have D1 talent.....yet.

Mr. Kotter
08-28-2008, 02:28 PM
He's a starter on the junior varisty team. He dress's and travels with the team as 2nd string on Varsity. He needs to put on about 20-30 pounds of muscle to crack that o-line. Every one of them will play D1 football. My son doesn't have D1 talent.....yet.

Well, unless he's a senior....he's got time. He's a big boy, so there's time and hope. As long as he's willing to work hard, he can put on that muscle. If his footwork is solid and he ain't "slow"---he'll get some looks. Personally, I'm of the opinion if a kid really wants to play college ball.....even if he can play division I, they should at least look at some non-Division I schools. For many, it can be a better fit (unless they are All-American candidates, in which case the trade-offs of Division I schools are probably worth it.)

MOhillbilly
08-28-2008, 02:31 PM

in 92' the oline for our team averaged 260 and all of em benched over 300.

chief52
08-28-2008, 02:40 PM
He's a starter on the junior varsity team. He dress's and travels with the team as 2nd string on Varsity. He needs to put on about 20-30 pounds of muscle to crack that o-line. Every one of them will play D1 football. My son doesn't have D1 talent.....yet.

I will have to tivo this week's game. I can not imagine a high school football team with all 5 OL positions occupied by guys who are going to play D1. Hard for me to believe...but I have never seen them.

BigRedChief
08-28-2008, 03:31 PM
I will have to tivo this week's game. I can not imagine a high school football team with all 5 OL positions occupied by guys who are going to play D1. Hard for me to believe...but I have never seen them.
2 of them already have firm D1 schlorships. Freshmen and sophmores are still too early but they are just as good as the two who already have them in hand.

ChiefsCountry
08-28-2008, 03:45 PM
And Missouri now has a BS rule that two teams from each district makes the playoffs. I know its mainly for the super districts that have alot of teams but its going to dilute the playoffs in lot of ways. I guess it gives more kids a chance to experience state playoff football which is awesome if you never have gotten to play in them. That would be the only positive IMO.

BigRedChief
08-28-2008, 04:18 PM
And Missouri now has a BS rule that two teams from each district makes the playoffs. I know its mainly for the super districts that have alot of teams but its going to dilute the playoffs in lot of ways. I guess it gives more kids a chance to experience state playoff football which is awesome if you never have gotten to play in them. That would be the only positive IMO.
After talking with some of the Dad's club members they explained the rule change was because of upsets in the districts. Some team goes 10-0 has a bad night and then loses to a 4-6 team and they don't even make the playoffs. The team that beat them goes to the playoffs and gets smoked giving the other team an unfair advantage. I was told it was a wild card not the top two teams? But I'm new to these HS rules so I'm only repeating what I was told.

BigRedChief
08-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Maybe I'll see you guys out there tonight?

|Zach|
08-29-2008, 09:24 AM
Maybe I'll see you guys out there tonight?

I will look for you.

Looking forward to shooting tonight. Haven't done sports in a while especially football.

Sully
08-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Lee's Summit parents, officials and boosters were tired of getting their butts kicked by the Blue Springs teams and wanted to play with the big boys so when the new school opened up they decided to do something different. Private fundraisers and a charitable board to raise money for the football program.

They have some really rich people that live in the district and wanted a first class football program to go with the districts highly rated academics. LSW football has state of the art training facilities. Their weight room is a massive as any clubs. They have 13 that’s right 13 paid football coaches on staff. 2 professional and certified trainers on staff and at every practrice. 3 football fields with goal posts to practice on. State of the art practice sleds, shoulder pads, helmets etc..

They will travel to away games on charted greyhound buses. The players all have matching equipment bags etc. LSW will eventually have facilities just like Rockhurst and Blue Springs . All paid for with private money.

The charity had an auction fundraiser a couple of weeks ago. They raised $27,000 in one night for the football program. My wife even won a ½ carat diamond in a raffle.

I look forward to seeing how LSW does this year. I think they really lucked out the past few years with the districts and class they have been in, but I also know Coach Boehm is a pretty damn good coach.

Some of that article is not a big deal, though. I coach at another metro school, and we have 13 paid coaches, all the kids have matching travel bags, travel outfits, etc... and we don't have nearly the fundraising base that LSW does. So I'd just guess that most of that money goes into uniforms, facilities, and the greyhound busses.

Sully
08-29-2008, 09:31 AM

I played high school ball with Belton's new head coach.

BigRedChief
08-29-2008, 09:34 AM
I look forward to seeing how LSW does this year. I think they really lucked out the past few years with the districts and class they have been in, but I also know Coach Boehm is a pretty damn good coach.

Some of that article is not a big deal, though. I coach at another metro school, and we have 13 paid coaches, all the kids have matching travel bags, travel outfits, etc... and we don't have nearly the fundraising base that LSW does. So I'd just guess that most of that money goes into uniforms, facilities, and the greyhound busses.
I wouldn't consider it lucked out. The MHSSA deciedes your schedule and division you play in. You have no input.

I'm new to this level of high school football. I think we had like 5 coaches on my high school team. No bags and most equipment was very used.

Sully
08-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Blue Springs' running back is going to be the real effing deal. I saw him play freshman ball last year, and he didn't even belong on the same field as the rest of the players. I think he's going to be ridiculously good.

Sully
08-29-2008, 09:37 AM
I wouldn't consider it lucked out. The MHSSA deciedes your schedule and division you play in. You have no input.

Hence...luck.

I think LSW is going to be really good. They seem to have built the program correctly. They've had some former NFL players over there helping coach since they opened, right?

Anyhow, I'm also looking forward to seeing if Ray Pec can be as good now theat they are moving into BS and BSS's conference, too. That's a tough one to move into. But, also, some really great coaches and players, there.

BigRedChief
08-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Blue Springs' running back is going to be the real effing deal. I saw him play freshman ball last year, and he didn't even belong on the same field as the rest of the players. I think he's going to be ridiculously good.
I saw a freshmen RB at LSW scrimmage in Excelsior springs that reminded me of Tony Temple. Kind of on the small side but very quick and fast.

BigRedChief
08-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Hence...luck.

I think LSW is going to be really good. They seem to have built the program correctly. They've had some former NFL players over there helping coach since they opened, right?

Anyhow, I'm also looking forward to seeing if Ray Pec can be as good now theat they are moving into BS and BSS's conference, too. That's a tough one to move into. But, also, some really great coaches and players, there.
Tracy Seimen was there for 3 years. Another Chief player was there but I forget his name.

BigRedChief
08-29-2008, 09:43 AM
One thing that was different when I played was the "Pack the WAC" event. WAC= athletic lockers and coaches office by the football field)

The parents decorate the players lockers before their first game at all age groups. Print up posters with pics of them as youngsters, put candy and treats in the lockers etc.

Sully
08-29-2008, 09:44 AM
I saw a freshmen RB at LSW scrimmage in Excelsior springs that reminded me of Tony Temple. Kind of on the small side but very quick and fast.

This kid had size, speed, and ridiculous wiggle.
I'm telling you it seemed like the whole field was in super slow mo, while he was running. He'd stop and retrack on a dime, and it didn't even look like he was trying.

BigRedChief
08-29-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm telling you it seemed like the whole field was in super slow mo, while he was running. He'd stop and retrack on a dime, and it didn't even look like he was trying.
Its going to be fun watching him tonight.:clap:

Sully
08-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Fort Osage should be interesting this year, too. They've got Krysa coming back, trying for a 3rd straight 2000 yard season, and they are in a new district, which on paper would seem an easier district for them (I think it's going to be a lot tougher on the field than it looks on paper). I'd pick them to make the playoffs, but wouldn't be surprised if they were the 3rd team in the district, either.

Sully
08-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Its going to be fun watching him tonight.:clap:

Yeah, you'll have to tell me if he looks as good at the varsity level.

BigRedChief
08-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Yeah, you'll have to tell me if he looks as good at the varsity level.
We don't have our Top LB(and mizzou committed) playing because of a suspension but it still should be a good test.

Dartgod
08-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Ouch!

Blue Springs 36
LS West 35

Skip Towne
08-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Where is Pastor Mike? His town has a pretty nice little team.

Spott
08-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Ouch!

Blue Springs 36
LS West 35

I must be getting old, because we used to call Longview Lee's Summit West back when I went to school there. I didn't even realize there was a LS West.

Valiant
08-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Fort Osage should be interesting this year, too. They've got Krysa coming back, trying for a 3rd straight 2000 yard season, and they are in a new district, which on paper would seem an easier district for them (I think it's going to be a lot tougher on the field than it looks on paper). I'd pick them to make the playoffs, but wouldn't be surprised if they were the 3rd team in the district, either.

What district did they move too??

ChiefsCountry
08-29-2008, 10:00 PM
I must be getting old, because we used to call Longview Lee's Summit West back when I went to school there. I didn't even realize there was a LS West.

Its a new school. Cant remember when it came around I think 2004.

Phobia
08-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Ouch!

Blue Springs 36
LS West 35

That was a tough last 6:30 of football to watch. LS West up by a TD WITH the ball and they run 3 straight passes. 1st down = sack, 2nd down = completion for nominal gain, 3rd down = incomplete....

They ran about a minute off the clock. Their punt netted about 18 yards and then BS marched down and scored. They converted a 2 pt conversion and then LSW turned the ball over on downs to end the game.

I had the displeasure of asking the coach about the decision to run 3 passes when they should have been milking the clock.

Phobia
08-29-2008, 10:38 PM

Yeah, I think you're right. Maybe 03. It's pretty new though.

08-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Couple more years and I will be paying a lot more attention to this. It will kill me to root for the Hayden Wildcats here in Topeka though. heh

Seaman High School Vikings all the way.

Pablo
08-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Couple more years and I will be paying a lot more attention to this. It will kill me to root for the Hayden Wildcats here in Topeka though. heh

Seaman High School Vikings all the way.I ate the worst sandwich I've ever had at a Mr. Goodcent's in the Seaman area of Topeka.

Coincidence? Who knows. I ordered a chicken sandwich with white sauce...

BigRedChief
08-29-2008, 11:00 PM
That was a tough last 6:30 of football to watch. LS West up by a TD WITH the ball and they run 3 straight passes. 1st down = sack, 2nd down = completion for nominal gain, 3rd down = incomplete....

They ran about a minute off the clock. Their punt netted about 18 yards and then BS marched down and scored. They converted a 2 pt conversion and then LSW turned the ball over on downs to end the game.

I had the displeasure of asking the coach about the decision to run 3 passes when they should have been milking the clock.

What did he say? Why didn't they milk the clock?

Yeah that was tough. Up 28-14 on the road at Blue Springs going into the 4th quarter and then lose it. But there were some homer calls.

During a LSW punt the punt is blocked and goes up in the air and lands about the line scrimmage. many Blue springs players touch the ball. A blue springs player blocked the punt. LSW recovers the ball. Our ball right? Wrong Blue Springs never touched the ball. So how did it get blocked? There was a scrum for the ball between Blue Springs and LSW and BS never touched the ball. That was the ruling. They get the ball on the 22 yard line and go in for the score and cut the lead to 7.

The QB goes for a sneak to get the 1st down and it looks like to us he hits the ground being tackled a player lands on top of him and jars the ball loose, BS ball on the 20 yard line.

We are still up 7 points with 1:45 left in the game. They score and decide to go the win instead of the tie. Again , it looks like to us that he never had possesion of the ball until hes out of the end zone and we win the game. But the ruling is that he was forced out by the LS player and its a 2 pointer and ball game.

BigRedChief
08-29-2008, 11:03 PM
This is its 5th year of exsistence.

We owned Blue Springs in the first half. Up 14 points looks like we decided to coast home. They needed a 2 point conversion with 1:41 left in the game to beat us.

I think we've proven that we are ready to play with the big dogs on the block now. Some tremendous athletes on that field tonight. One helluva game to watch. Better than most Chief games I've seen lately.:)

BigRedChief
08-29-2008, 11:06 PM
He is a tremendous talent. We kept him bottled up most of the game. Phobia can probably tell you the stats but he probably only had 30 yards or so at the half. He broke off a few 8 yard runs late in the game. But he's defintely got D1 talent.

Phobia
08-29-2008, 11:09 PM

I'll get you an exact quote when I go through the tape but he essentially acknowledged that the coaches need to re-evaluate their playcalls too.

I didn't want to ask it, especially with my first question but everybody else had taken the easy questions.

But they put the ball in the air 35 times tonight against, what 8 runs? He said they ran the plays against what BS was giving them and they were giving them the passing game. They definitely looked like a different team in the 2nd half though.

Blocked punt aside, BS deserved the win. Throw every play out except for the 2 pt conversion. LSW stops they win. Since they gave it up, they lost. It really boils down to that one play. BS deserved the win based on the ballsy call and successful execution.

08-29-2008, 11:09 PM
I ate the worst sandwich I've ever had at a Mr. Goodcent's in the Seaman area of Topeka.

Coincidence? Who knows. I ordered a chicken sandwich with white sauce...
Should have went to the one near central topeka. They use Trojans there.

BigRedChief
08-29-2008, 11:17 PM
I'll get you an exact quote when I go through the tape but he essentially acknowledged that the coaches need to re-evaluate their playcalls too.

I didn't want to ask it, especially with my first question but everybody else had taken the easy questions.

But they put the ball in the air 35 times tonight against, what 8 runs? He said they ran the plays against what BS was giving them and they were giving them the passing game. They definitely looked like a different team in the 2nd half though.

Blocked punt aside, BS deserved the win. Throw every play out except for the 2 pt conversion. LSW stops they win. Since they gave it up, they lost. It really boils down to that one play. BS deserved the win based on the ballsy call and successful execution.
yeah they earned the win. Even after the calls we had 20 yards to make the stops and didn't.

Remember LSW lost their stud RB with a broken leg last week at a scrimmage. Proabably shied away fromt he run because of it. Besides with that O-Line giveing our QB all day to throw that ball we were pretty successful until the 4th quarter. Even then we had a 40 yard pass play bounce off a guys chest that would have killed another 2 mintues off the clock.

For those of you who haven't seen LSW they run the spread offense much like Mizzou and Kansas. No huddle. 4 coaches on the sidelines signaling calls in while everyone is already in position. Are other high schools running the spread offense?

Phobia
08-29-2008, 11:24 PM
Did anybody else find it strange there were 3 punts blocked in one game tonight?

It's hard to ask compelling questions when you're dealing with kids. I asked about the blocked punts and if they were related to the long snapper - trying to be respectful of the kid factor. He agreed that the snapper was new and they weren't perfect snaps.

BigRedChief
08-29-2008, 11:25 PM
Did anybody else find it strange there were 3 punts blocked in one game tonight?

It's hard to ask compelling questions when you're dealing with kids. I asked about the blocked punts and if they were related to the long snapper - trying to be respectful of the kid factor. He agreed that the snapper was new and they weren't perfect snaps.
The punter is an asshole. Rake him over the coals. Thinks he's king chit.

Phobia
08-29-2008, 11:28 PM
The punter is an asshole. Rake him over the coals. Thinks he's king chit.

Heh. Nah - I won't rake kids over the coals. I didn't think it was his fault anyway.

BigRedChief
08-30-2008, 12:34 AM
BTW, I heard last night that 22 players on the 2007 LSW football team recieved full free ride football scholorships after last season.

BigRedChief
08-30-2008, 07:29 AM
Ouch!

Blue Springs 36
LS West 35
I saw your Belton team smoked Platte County. Are they really good this year?

MOhillbilly
08-30-2008, 07:44 AM
lil stumpy and the willard tigers went down to rolla. guess the dont play D against the run. gonna be some gasers come mondays practice.

MOhillbilly
08-30-2008, 07:49 AM
http://loudounextra.washingtonpost.com/news/2008/aug/19/loudoun-football-2008-loudoun-county/?sports

my little cousin in the thumbnail(middle right). he aint so little now. great kid. hard as coffin nails.

full article on him in the washington post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/27/AR2008082703421.html?hpid=topnews

BigRedChief
08-30-2008, 08:25 AM
lil stumpy and the willard tigers went down to rolla. guess the dont play D against the run. gonna be some gasers come mondays practice.
Wasn't he the guy saying that Willard was going to thump LSW?

MOhillbilly
08-30-2008, 11:18 AM
Wasn't he the guy saying that Willard was going to thump LSW?
dont know if he said thatr but he was cocksure that they were gonna clean house. and to be fair they had a pretty good team last year.

chief52
08-30-2008, 12:05 PM

Yeah that was tough. Up 28-14 on the road at Blue Springs going into the 4th quarter and then lose it. But there were some homer calls.

During a LSW punt the punt is blocked and goes up in the air and lands about the line scrimmage. many Blue springs players touch the ball. A blue springs player blocked the punt. LSW recovers the ball. Our ball right? Wrong Blue Springs never touched the ball. So how did it get blocked? There was a scrum for the ball between Blue Springs and LSW and BS never touched the ball. That was the ruling. They get the ball on the 22 yard line and go in for the score and cut the lead to 7.

You say the ball "lands about the line of scrimmage". Did it cross the line of scrimmage or not? That is a key question on all punt plays. The officials must have ruled the ball did not cross the LOS, in which case they made the correct call. The team that blocks a punt can touch it all day long behind the LOS and without changing anything. If it never crosses the LOS it makes no difference who recovers it or touches it. The ball will belong to the receiving team ( provided it was 4th down ). Once it goes beyond the LOS the ball becomes live after it is touched by the receiving team. However, if the kicking team touches it first you have first touching and the receiving team will be able to bring the ball back to that spot.

In this case it sounds like the ball did not cross the LOS...

Phobia...did you see it? Did the ball cross the LOS?

|Zach|
08-30-2008, 12:31 PM
You say the ball "lands about the line of scrimmage". Did it cross the line of scrimmage or not? That is a key question on all punt plays. The officials must have ruled the ball did not cross the LOS, in which case they made the correct call. The team that blocks a punt can touch it all day long behind the LOS and without changing anything. If it never crosses the LOS it makes no difference who recovers it or touches it. The ball will belong to the receiving team ( provided it was 4th down ). Once it goes beyond the LOS the ball becomes live after it is touched by the receiving team. However, if the kicking team touches it first you have first touching and the receiving team will be able to bring the ball back to that spot.

I was trying to get shots from the BS side at that point. The staff was jumping up and down adament the ball did not cross the LOS and got that in the refs ear pretty fast.

The refs agreed.

Didn't really see it myself my eyes were in camera and didnt have good perspective.

BigRedChief
08-30-2008, 12:41 PM
I was trying to get shots from the BS side at that point. The staff was jumping up and down adament the ball did not cross the LOS and got that in the refs ear pretty fast.

The refs agreed.

Didn't really see it myself my eyes were in camera and didnt have good perspective.
Here's what the coach told me at the junior varsity game this morning.

The refs told the LSW coaches that a punting team player can't recover a blocked kick. Period. The recieving team has to have possesion of the ball and then fumble it to allow a change of possesion. If thats true then it was the right call. A BS player defintely never had control of the ball after the blocked punt.

But they still had a chance to stop them even if it was a bad call. The refs may or may not have blown some calls but thats gonna happen. I don't want to come off as a whiner. BS earned the win. Congrats. We will see each other again im the state playoffs.

I bet the BS players now know theres a new kid on their block thats gonna challenge them besides Rockhurst and BSS.:rockon:

Phobia
08-30-2008, 12:46 PM

I thought it did but I was standing behind the goalposts. I can't be certain. I can't complain either way though because I didn't understand the ruling from the very get-go. HS football rules are slightly different than ncaa and nfl so it may take me a while to get up to speed.

chief52
08-30-2008, 01:22 PM
[QUOTE=BigRedChief;4961192
The refs told the LSW coaches that a punting team player can't recover a blocked kick. Period. If the receiving team touches the ball beyond the LOS the ball becomes "live"...ie, whichever team recovers it will receive a first down.

The recieving team has to have possesion of the ball and then fumble it to allow a change of possesion.This is true if the ball does not cross the LOS, so that is what they must have ruled. If thats true then it was the right call. A BS player defintely never had control of the ball after the blocked punt.

The key thing here as I mentioned before is " Did the ball cross the LOS?" For that reason, the Linesman does not leave the LOS until the ball has crossed it. He should be straddling the LOS as the ball is bouncing around so he knows he is right on the LOS. If he holds his position like he should, it is an easy determination.

BigRedChief
08-30-2008, 05:20 PM
[quote=BigRedChief;4961192
The refs told the LSW coaches that a punting team player can't recover a blocked kick. Period. If the receiving team touches the ball beyond the LOS the ball becomes "live"...ie, whichever team recovers it will receive a first down.

The recieving team has to have possesion of the ball and then fumble it to allow a change of possesion.This is true if the ball does not cross the LOS, so that is what they must have ruled. If thats true then it was the right call. A BS player defintely never had control of the ball after the blocked punt.

The key thing here as I mentioned before is " Did the ball cross the LOS?" For that reason, the Linesman does not leave the LOS until the ball has crossed it. He should be straddling the LOS as the ball is bouncing around so he knows he is right on the LOS. If he holds his position like he should, it is an easy determination.
so how do you know these rules? You a ref? High school coach?

kcchuck
08-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Yo Big Red, Rockhurst vs BS, ESPN, yea baby, go Rock! I'm sure The COL & I will be watching that one, and damn, LSW sounds like they are doing it right, and congrats on the Diamond ring, couldn't think of a person more deserving then your wife, after all, she does have to put up with you :)

ChiefsCountry
08-30-2008, 07:47 PM
dont know if he said thatr but he was cocksure that they were gonna clean house. and to be fair they had a pretty good team last year.

Willard is like the 5th best team in their conference.

Phobia
08-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Yo Big Red, Rockhurst vs BS, ESPN, yea baby, go Rock! I'm sure The COL & I will be watching that one, and damn, LSW sounds like they are doing it right, and congrats on the Diamond ring, couldn't think of a person more deserving then your wife, after all, she does have to put up with you :)
Hey - how did you know about that?

BigRedChief
08-30-2008, 10:56 PM
She deserves a lot more than diamonds for putting up with me.ROFL

Phobia
08-30-2008, 11:13 PM
I just reviewed the shots from Zach and there's gonna be some really nice pictures in the next issue, err probably on our website. That was an incredible night for some high school football.

In fact, there must be some way to make this thread all about me. Here's a picture of the postgame interview. I should publish this. There's probably no other way to get a dude that dead sexy in our paper without paying big money for a modeling contract.

BigRedChief
08-30-2008, 11:15 PM
I just reviewed the shots from Zach and there's gonna be some really nice pictures in the next issue, err probably on our website. That was an incredible night for some high school football.

In fact, there must be some way to make this thread all about me. Here's a picture of the postgame interview. I should publish this. There's probably no other way to get a dude that dead sexy in our paper without paying big money for a modeling contract.
You should get yourself a diamond earring if you want to pursue modeling. I can sell you one....

Phobia
08-30-2008, 11:20 PM
You should get yourself a diamond earring if you want to pursue modeling. I can sell you one....

Uh - nobody said anything about that. Heh. I could be a model for stereotypical Chiefs fans, I guess. Heh.

I looked for your large self Friday. Couldn't find you, obviously. I presume you saw me once or twice. Throw something at me next time.

BigRedChief
08-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Uh - nobody said anything about that. Heh. I could be a model for stereotypical Chiefs fans, I guess. Heh.

I looked for your large self Friday. Couldn't find you, obviously. I presume you saw me once or twice. Throw something at me next time.
Man I was easy to find, on the front row. Zack found me easily.

BigRedChief
08-30-2008, 11:29 PM
LSW props from the KC Star......

Kelly Donohoe’s knees only buckled after he made the gutsiest call any coach could make at home on a Friday night.
That’s a good thing.

Because if Donohoe had wavered moments earlier, if he had thought about how stupid he would have looked if it didn’t work out and considered the safe alternative instead, maybe this next line would read: Lee’s Summit West shocks Blue Springs in overtime

But since Donohoe made the call of the night, maybe of the season, Blue Springs gets to rewrite its week-one story.

In the final minute, the Wildcats stole a 36-35 victory from Lee’s Summit West after a fearless two-point conversion that rocked Peve Stadium and shocked anyone who buys into Coaching Logic 101.

“Sometimes ya know things work out and you look like a prophet, and sometimes you’re just ignorant,” Donohoe said. “Thank God we got lucky as a staff and we sounded smart … and things worked out.”

After Titans senior Aaron Vanderpool, the replacement for injured starter C.J. Cobbins — who limped off the field earlier in the fourth quarter — took an inside handoff 70 yards for a touchdown, Lee’s Summit West owned a 35-28 advantage. The upset was about to happen, as was the Titans’ coronation into big-class football. That was until the Wildcats believed in themselves — and their coach had a crazy thought.

“And that’s when the magic happens,” senior Gus Toca said.
In fewer than 9 minutes, everything changed.

The Wildcats finally figured out the Titans’ trigger-happy offense and started their comeback. Sophomore running back Darrian Miller shrugged off a so-so first half and scored his first touchdown. Finally, junior Keeston Terry caught a touchdown in the final minute of play. Common knowledge dictated a game-tying point-after kick should follow.

The safe choice, right. You don’t have to be a Hall of Fame coach to send the kicking team out there in that situation. Everybody inside Peve would’ve made that easy call, but Titans coach Royce Boehm had a feeling something was up. So he started screaming for his boys to watch Blue Springs quarterback Jared Lanpher.

“Watch the two-point! Watch the two-point!” Boehm warned his players.
Lanpher jumped from his decoy position as holder, scrambled right and roped a pass to junior Nick Halterman.

Surprise!
“Did it shock us? Yeah,” Boehm said. “It beat us.”

Gotta give it to Donohoe. The man made one serious judgment call. And once the cameras disappeared, and after his Wildcats got away with robbery, Donohoe allowed himself a human moment. He bent over, catching his hands on his knees, breathless. When he could talk again, Donohoe talked about guts. Not his, but his boys.’

“I’m real proud of the guts of this team and the heart of this team,” Donohoe said. “We never, never felt we’d lose this football game.”

In beating Lee’s Summit West, the defending Class 4 state champs — and now a Class 5 force to be reckoned with — Blue Springs steps into the forefront. Sure, the Wildcats showed some warts — trusting in two-touchdown Terry too much, and their defensive backfield could use some more reps — but they also proved that they should be mentioned with the likes of Rockhurst and Blue Springs South.

“We can compete with everybody,” Toca said. “(Lee’s Summit West) is a state-championship-caliber team. We can play with anybody. Rock and South are next. We made a statement (tonight).”
And so did the Titans.

Small class, big class. Who cares? The Titans are just as good as the big boys and proved they belong as a Class 5 program.

Lee’s Summit West almost upset Blue Springs without the services of its starting tailback and veteran defender Adam Burton, who was in street clothes.

“They earned a lot of respect in the city,” Boehm said. “We’re not a Class 4 team anymore. We’re moving up.”

kcchuck
08-31-2008, 08:08 AM
Hey - how did you know about that?

I read all the messges in this thread, I know, details... details.... Really, I had nothing to do with it....

kcchuck
08-31-2008, 08:11 AM
She deserves a lot more than diamonds for putting up with me.ROFL

True, but I'm sure it helped for a few days at the least...

eazyb81
08-31-2008, 08:18 AM
I'm sure it's been mentioned already in this thread, but Mizzou QB recruit Blaine Dalton will play in a game on ESPN at 11:00am this morning.

Blue Springs vs. Rockhurt, good national pub for Missouri HS football.

BigRedChief
08-31-2008, 09:12 AM
I'm sure it's been mentioned already in this thread, but Mizzou QB recruit Blaine Dalton will play in a game on ESPN at 11:00am this morning.

Blue Springs vs. Rockhurt, good national pub for Missouri HS football.
No way the kid plays QB for Mizzou. Unless as a back up.

chief52
08-31-2008, 09:57 AM
[quote=chief52;4961326]
so how do you know these rules? You a ref? High school coach?

I officiated high school for about 25 years and college for about 15. Been out of it for a few years and do not have a book around so I do not know the new rules. But I still have the punt rules down. By the way, all states ( high school ) with the exception of Texas use the same federation rules. Texas uses the NCAA rules...at least they did.

Pablo
08-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Anyone watching this Rockhurst/BSS game on ESPN?

Mizzou's recruit Dalton isn't doing so hot.

eazyb81
08-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Anyone watching this Rockhurst/BSS game on ESPN?

Mizzou's recruit Dalton isn't doing so hot.

Yeah I'm watching it. I'm not too concerned with Dalton, BSS lacks the talent to compete with Rockhurst this year.

Pablo
08-31-2008, 11:21 AM
Yeah I'm watching it. I'm not too concerned with Dalton, BSS lacks the talent to compete with Rockhurst this year.What star recruit was this kid?

eazyb81
08-31-2008, 11:24 AM
What star recruit was this kid?

4 stars.

And there's another pick. He's trying way too hard and it's not working.

Simply Red
08-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Blue Springs looks like shit, Jeff Handy would be pissed!

Pablo
08-31-2008, 12:09 PM
Oh Snap.

Game over.

eazyb81
08-31-2008, 12:19 PM
I wonder if Pinkel is going to pull Dalton's scholarship after today's game.

Yikes.

kcchuck
08-31-2008, 12:34 PM
Would like to have seen a better game, closer, but happy with the way my Hawklets are looking.

|Zach|
08-31-2008, 02:08 PM

Yikes.

You're kidding right.

|Zach|
08-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Blue Springs looks like shit, Jeff Handy would be pissed!

Not Blue Springs.

Blue Springs South.

eazyb81
08-31-2008, 02:13 PM
You're kidding right.

thought it was obvious.

|Zach|
08-31-2008, 02:14 PM
thought it was obvious.

This is Chiefs Planet.

:)

BigRedChief
08-31-2008, 02:15 PM

Yikes.
Doesn't matter. I have no idea why he decided on Mizzou. He's going to be a back up at Mizzou. Why wouldn't he want to play?

|Zach|
08-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Not Blue Springs.

Blue Springs South.

Blue Springs has had a rivalry with Rockhurst for over 30 years. South has had a few good seasons but has never been able to beat Rock consistently.

BigRedChief
08-31-2008, 02:17 PM
Blue Springs has had a rivalry with Rockhurst for over 30 years. South has had a few good seasons but has never been able to beat Rock consistently.
You had to have a disputed 2 point conversion with 1:41 left in the game to beat the new kid on the block.

You think you can beat the big bully Rockhurst this year?

|Zach|
08-31-2008, 02:22 PM
You had to have a disputed 2 point conversion with 1:41 left in the game to beat the new kid on the block.

You think you can beat the big bully Rockhurst this year?
Disputed? Not really. As far as your question...

Not sure. Rockhurst looks very talented.

But the most talented team I ever saw assembled on a high school field went 8-3. Those guys at BS are big game hunters...always have been.

No other team has been able consistently beat Rockhurst like Blue Springs. Blue Springs isn't intimidated by them like other schools.

Should be fun to see play out.

BigRedChief
08-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Disputed? Not really. As far as your question...

But the most talented team I ever saw assembled on a high school field went 8-3. Those guys at BS are big game hunters...always have been.

No other team has been able consistently beat Rockhurst like Blue Springs. Blue Springs isn't intimidated by them like other schools.

Should be fun to see play out.
My son's LSW sophmore class beat the Rockhurst sophmore's at Rockhurst last year. So they are beatable but you get players out there imtimidated and ball game over. I guess historically BS has avoided that trap. But it sure looked like BSS wilted under the pressure today.

BTW, does anyone know if Derrick Thomas's son is going to play Div. 1 ball? and if so where?

eazyb81
08-31-2008, 02:52 PM
Doesn't matter. I have no idea why he decided on Mizzou. He's going to be a back up at Mizzou. Why wouldn't he want to play?

Why do you keep saying this? Are you basing it off of today's game?

Dalton is a 4 star QB and runs a spread offense similar to the one at Mizzou. I'm not sure how you can say with any validity that he will never start at Mizzou.

BigRedChief
08-31-2008, 02:53 PM
Why do you keep saying this? Are you basing it off of today's game?

Dalton is a 4 star QB and runs a spread offense similar to the one at Mizzou. I'm not sure how you can say with any validity that he will never start at Mizzou.
Garett out of St. Louis has the starting spot all sewn up.

eazyb81
08-31-2008, 03:09 PM

I don't think Gabbert has it sewn up at all. If you remember a few years ago, Chase Patton was the better recruit, but Chase Daniel beat him out for the starting job. I don't see any reason why the same thing couldn't happen next year.

chief52
08-31-2008, 03:17 PM

High School recruits have absolutely nothing sewn up. They get sweet talked and all in the recruiting season. Once they sign and show up for practice everything changes. They are all thrown in the barrel and the strong rise to the top.

Any recruit that believes he has a position sewn up is in for one of the biggest surprises of his life.

Phobia
08-31-2008, 03:23 PM
BTW, does anyone know if Derrick Thomas's son is going to play Div. 1 ball? and if so where?

Probably 4 or 5 different universities.

BigRedChief
08-31-2008, 04:45 PM
High School recruits have absolutely nothing sewn up. They get sweet talked and all in the recruiting season. Once they sign and show up for practice everything changes. They are all thrown in the barrel and the strong rise to the top.

Any recruit that believes he has a position sewn up is in for one of the biggest surprises of his life.
Depends on the outcome but promises/lies were made to Garrett.

What happens whenthe next recruit shows up and the lied to recruit tells the new recruit that he will be lied to and promised this but the coach is lying to you. Won't that hurt recruiting?

BigRedChief
08-31-2008, 04:45 PM
Probably 4 or 5 different universities.
Any local?

eazyb81
08-31-2008, 04:52 PM
Depends on the outcome but promises/lies were made to Garrett.

What happens whenthe next recruit shows up and the lied to recruit tells the new recruit that he will be lied to and promised this but the coach is lying to you. Won't that hurt recruiting?

When you assume you make an ass out of you and me.

Seriously, do you have anything to back this up? Mizzou is notorious for not promising starting spots or playing time to HS prospects, which is why we've missed out on quite a few 4 and 5 star players.

Given the fact that you can't even get the kid's name right (again, it's Gabbert), I'm not buying your story right now.

Phobia
08-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Any local?

Heh. Which son?

BigRedChief
09-01-2008, 08:43 AM
When you assume you make an ass out of you and me.

Seriously, do you have anything to back this up? Mizzou is notorious for not promising starting spots or playing time to HS prospects, which is why we've missed out on quite a few 4 and 5 star players.

Given the fact that you can't even get the kid's name right (again, it's Gabbert), I'm not buying your story right now.
hey dude. nlm . I don't have to justify myself to you. Believe it or not its up to you. I don't know the QB or his family personally. I was told by someone who does know them that the QB position was promised.

BigRedChief
09-03-2008, 06:44 AM
Disputed? Not really.
Here's a video from the KC Star website. It's toward the end and its a bad angle but it doesn't look like a TD to me.

http://videos.kansascity.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=2130174

Lono
09-03-2008, 11:33 AM
[QUOTE=BigRedChief;4959885]What did he say? Why didn't they milk the clock?

The rule is this, the ball going past the los makes no difference as long as they dont touch it again past the los. Take this for an example, Team A is punting, Team B gets a hand on the football and the punt only goes about 15 yards. Team B does not get on the ball because it is still their football. Team A going and getting the football is nothing but downing it making the play dead.

CoMoChief
09-03-2008, 12:18 PM
[QUOTE=|Zach|;4965505]Disputed? Not really. As far as your question...

But the most talented team I ever saw assembled on a high school field went 8-3. Those guys at BS are big game hunters...always have been.QUOTE]

Brandon Lloyd
John Garrison
Jamar Mozee
James Jack

That team was looooooooaded, fuggin Beatty.

Which come to mind.........................(long pause) ..........................BEATTY's GOD!!!!!!!! (Trinity Prep pep rally speech - LMAO)

I WISH that was on YouTube.

Phobia
09-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Here's a video from the KC Star website. It's toward the end and its a bad angle but it doesn't look like a TD to me.

http://videos.kansascity.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=2130174

More importantly at the 1:58 mark you can see me, Ronnell, & Zach in the video.

I did a lot of pause/play at the :59 mark and the WR looks like he broke the plane to me.

Simply Red
09-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Not Blue Springs.

Blue Springs South.

Well I went to the Ashton Campus,

Regardless it's still Blue Springs the town, err, a lot closer to the Wildcats than Brookwood.

Lzen
09-03-2008, 12:38 PM

Seaman High School Vikings all the way.

My nephew, Jesse Hadrin played at Seaman his freshman and sophomore years. Got into trouble and had to transfer to Topeka High. Yeah, he doesn't always make the best decisions. He had to pay for that mistake by sitting out last year.

This year he is a starter for Topeka High. He plays several positions depending on the defense. I know he does MLB in the 4-3 and DT in some combo defense they run. I think he might play on offense, too. I am looking forward to watching him this Friday against Emporia.

BigRedChief
09-03-2008, 12:42 PM

I did a lot of pause/play at the :59 mark and the WR looks like he broke the plane to me.
Your not a "real" reporter. Screw objectivity! :thumb:

BigRedChief
09-03-2008, 12:46 PM

Doesn't really matter other than not being able to have an undefeated season two years in a row. You can go 0-8 and then win your 3 district games and be in the state playoffs. Screwy system if you ask me.

Lono
09-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Actually I like our system. It isnt the nfl or college. Not every school has 80 kids to choose from. Playing 7 games before districts lets the kids work toward getting better to achieve something knowing they can still get better and have a chance to move on. Take our team, I coach at a class 2 school we have 32 kids. Friday night we had 5 starters out, all 5 started both ways. We ended up starting 3 freshman and 4 sophomores to replace them. We lost 35-6. I would hope we would be much better as the year goes on and we get those 5 kids back. The experiece the young kids got will help out alot if someone else goes down. I love our district type system, although i could take or leave the new playoff system.

Phobia
09-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Your not a "real" reporter. Screw objectivity! :thumb:

Actually, I think I might be for real now. I used to be a hobbyist. Now I'm probably the real deal. Still sucky and still not worth reading but legitimate now.

BigRedChief
09-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Actually, I think I might be for real now. I used to be a hobbyist. Now I'm probably the real deal. Still sucky and still not worth reading but legitimate now.
You have the pics and the story up about the BS vs. LSW game?

Phobia
09-03-2008, 01:07 PM
You have the pics and the story up about the BS vs. LSW game?

Nah - our website is still being revamped. We're not ready yet unfortunately. Maybe I'm still a hobbyist afterall.

However, we do have some good insight into the game. We're not just focused on the ball. We have some tidbits on some of the kids in the trenches, which is what I had hoped to provide.

We'll get better, I'm sure. It's a lot of work.

BigRedChief
09-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Nah - our website is still being revamped. We're not ready yet unfortunately. Maybe I'm still a hobbyist afterall.

However, we do have some good insight into the game. We're not just focused on the ball. We have some tidbits on some of the kids in the trenches, which is what I had hoped to provide.

We'll get better, I'm sure. It's a lot of work.
You want to be a local paper you can't just do a recap of the game. They can get that from the Star. You have to give them a reason to read your paper and local kid "stuff" is right in the wheelhouse for local papers.

Zach took a couple of pics of my son at the game. Can you send me a copy?

Phobia
09-03-2008, 01:39 PM
You want to be a local paper you can't just do a recap of the game. They can get that from the Star. You have to give them a reason to read your paper and local kid "stuff" is right in the wheelhouse for local papers.

Zach took a couple of pics of my son at the game. Can you send me a copy?

You'll probably have to get with him. I have about 45 shots from Zach and your son appears in one of them but it will be a picture we'll be featuring.

I also just got off the phone with our printer and discovered they are closing up shop so I need to get busy finding a new printer. The joys of business ownership. I'm just kinda glad it's raining so I'll have some time to tackle this newest issue.

BigRedChief
09-03-2008, 01:52 PM
You'll probably have to get with him. I have about 45 shots from Zach and your son appears in one of them but it will be a picture we'll be featuring.
See there you go. Thats the idea. Now I'll have to buy a paper.

88TG88
09-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Big LA matchup tonight. Mater Dei vs Carson High. ESPN2 at 7 or 6.

Anyong Bluth
09-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Go Big Blue!

Phobia
09-03-2008, 02:50 PM
See there you go. Thats the idea. Now I'll have to buy a paper.

No you won't. It's a free paper. I'll send you the picture but it's probably not what you thought. His back is to the camera and he's well off center but it's a fantastic shot.

Skip Towne
09-03-2008, 04:19 PM

I also just got off the phone with our printer and discovered they are closing up shop so I need to get busy finding a new printer. The joys of business ownership. I'm just kinda glad it's raining so I'll have some time to tackle this newest issue.

Kopco in Caney, Ks prints a bunch of papers. Or they used to at least.

ChiefsOne
09-04-2008, 10:05 AM
http://loudounextra.washingtonpost.com/news/2008/aug/19/loudoun-football-2008-loudoun-county/?sports

my little cousin in the thumbnail(middle right). he aint so little now. great kid. hard as coffin nails.

full article on him in the washington post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/27/AR2008082703421.html?hpid=topnews

Good read MO, guess that side got all of the good genetics!

BigRedChief
09-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Big LA matchup tonight. Mater Dei vs Carson High. ESPN2 at 7 or 6.
How did they look compared to Rockhurst?

MOhillbilly
09-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Good read MO, guess that side got all of the good genetics!

:LOL: that shit aint right.

ChiefsOne
09-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Actually I like our system. It isnt the nfl or college. Not every school has 80 kids to choose from. Playing 7 games before districts lets the kids work toward getting better to achieve something knowing they can still get better and have a chance to move on. Take our team, I coach at a class 2 school we have 32 kids. Friday night we had 5 starters out, all 5 started both ways. We ended up starting 3 freshman and 4 sophomores to replace them. We lost 35-6. I would hope we would be much better as the year goes on and we get those 5 kids back. The experiece the young kids got will help out alot if someone else goes down. I love our district type system, although i could take or leave the new playoff system.

I think the new system sucks. You should have to win the SCA to be in the playoffs or at least have a winning record. Back in the day we had to win the SCA to make the playoffs, no matter what class and we were the smallest. BTW I have two friends that coach in the SCA and one used to coach at Willow.

ChiefsOne
09-04-2008, 01:29 PM
:LOL: that shit aint right.

I'm right there with you man, sad but true! Funny how the older you get the better you were in HS, kinda Al Bundy syndrome.

BigVE
09-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Anyone know if the Rockhurt vs. Hutchinson KS game is on the radio anywhere? Updates if you got 'em please.

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Didn't notice this thread, been bumping the same one for 3 years now for HS football.

We're up 21-10 against our bigest rival just east of us down I 40, and moving the ball down the field again.

Skip Towne
09-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Didn't notice this thread, been bumping the same one for 3 years now for HS football.

We're up 21-10 against our bigest rival just east of us down I 40, and moving the ball down the field again.

You have a cute little team. :p

BigVE
09-05-2008, 07:25 PM
No Rockhurst vs Hutch updates yet?

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 07:39 PM
You have a cute little team. :p

Come down sometime if you want to see some real HS football.

Skip Towne
09-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Come down sometime if you want to see some real HS football.

I'd like to but I've seen Jenks and Union.

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 08:19 PM
I'd like to but I've seen Jenks and Union.

Yeah, they are pretty good. If you add their state championships together, they have as many as we do.

BigRedChief
09-05-2008, 09:24 PM
LSW beat Truman tonight 38-0 but it was even worse than the score. I bet Truman didn't have 50 yards of positive scrimmage yards against us the whole game(Phobia was there covering the game for his paper so he may have the stats). And thats after about halfway through the 3rd quarter when the starters got pulled.

Totally outclassed. I don't think even our own boys were having any fun laying the wood.

Why does the High School Sports Association set up such a big mismatch? This happen to your team?

BigRedChief
09-05-2008, 09:32 PM

Whats your school again? All I know is that they win the championship every year.:)

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Why does the High School Sports Association set up such a big mismatch? This happen to your team?

Yep.

Tonight was a big rivalry game between us and Weatherford. We won 48-17 (on of their TDs appears to have been scored on our scrubbs).

However, based on our enrolement numbers a few years back, we were bumped from 4A to 3A. We had won 3 state championships in a row and 5 out of 6 years in 4A before being dropped down. So, most of our games are huge mismatches. We could hold our own and be competitive in the state playoffs at the 5A level (we beat the 5A champs in 2006 on our way to our 14th championship) but are in 3A.

Doesn't make sense.

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Whats your school again? All I know is that they win the championship every year.:)

Clinton Red Tornadoes!

BigRedChief
09-05-2008, 09:39 PM
The Star’s high school football top-five rankings
<HR class=infobox-hr-separator>

<TABLE class=story-table border=0><TBODY><TR class=story-table-even-row><TD>BIG CLASS</TD><TD>REC</TD><TD>LAST WEEK</TD><TD>THIS WEEK</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-odd-row><TD>1. Rockhurst</TD><TD>1-0</TD><TD>defeated BS South 42-14</TD><TD>vs. Hutchinson, Kan.</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-even-row><TD>2. Blue Springs</TD><TD>1-0</TD><TD>defeated LS West 36-35</TD><TD>at St. Joseph Central</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-odd-row><TD>3. Olathe East</TD><TD>0-0</TD><TD>did not play</TD><TD>vs. Olathe North</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-even-row><TD>4. Lee’s Summit West</TD><TD>0-1</TD><TD>lost to Blue Springs 36-35</TD><TD>at Truman</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-odd-row><TD>5. St. Thomas Aquinas</TD><TD>0-0</TD><TD>did not play</TD><TD>vs. North Kansas City</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-even-row><TD>SMALL CLASS</TD><TD>REC</TD><TD>LAST WEEK</TD><TD>THIS WEEK</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-odd-row><TD>1. Kearney</TD><TD>1-0</TD><TD>defeated Raytown 52-0</TD><TD>vs. Fort Osage</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-even-row><TD>2. Harrisonville</TD><TD>0-1</TD><TD>lost to Webb City 27-21</TD><TD>at Hannibal, Mo.</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-odd-row><TD>3. Grain Valley</TD><TD>1-0</TD><TD>defeated Lincoln Prep 59-41</TD><TD>at Marshall, Mo.</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-even-row><TD>4. Pleasant Hill</TD><TD>1-0</TD><TD>defeated Smithville 28-0</TD><TD>at Cameron</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-odd-row><TD>5. Bishop Miege</TD><TD>0-0</TD><TD>did not play</TD><TD>vs. Atchison, Kan.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

BigRedChief
09-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Yep.

Tonight was a big rivalry game between us and Weatherford. We won 48-17 (on of their TDs appears to have been scored on our scrubbs).

However, based on our enrolement numbers a few years back, we were bumped from 4A to 3A. We had won 3 state championships in a row and 5 out of 6 years in 4A before being dropped down. So, most of our games are huge mismatches. We could hold our own and be competitive in the state playoffs at the 5A level (we beat the 5A champs in 2006 on our way to our 14th championship) but are in 3A.

Doesn't make sense.
Your in Kansas right?

ChiefsCountry
09-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Just saw on tv, where Lil Stummpy and Willard lost a heartbreaker. Ozark scored with 20 seconds left to win.

Coach
09-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Your in Kansas right?

Oklahoma, I believe.

Coach
09-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Oklahoma, I believe.

Yep

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinton,_Oklahoma

Clinton is known for its high school football team, the "Red Tornadoes". The Red Tornadoes have won 15 state championships (1965, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1978, 1982, 1984, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007) which ranks currently second in the state of Oklahoma behind Ada.

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Your in Kansas right?

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!

:harumph:

|Zach|
09-05-2008, 10:00 PM

You cant avoid games like that.

Skip Towne
09-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Your in Kansas right?

Kansas won't have him, he's a MUron.

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Kansas isn't good enough for him, he's a MU Tiger.

Fixed your post.

irishjayhawk
09-05-2008, 10:30 PM
The Star’s high school football top-five rankings
<HR class=infobox-hr-separator>

<TABLE class=story-table border=0><TBODY><TR class=story-table-even-row><TD>BIG CLASS</TD><TD>REC</TD><TD>LAST WEEK</TD><TD>THIS WEEK</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-odd-row><TD>1. Rockhurst</TD><TD>1-0</TD><TD>defeated BS South 42-14</TD><TD>vs. Hutchinson, Kan.</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-even-row><TD>2. Blue Springs</TD><TD>1-0</TD><TD>defeated LS West 36-35</TD><TD>at St. Joseph Central</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-odd-row><TD>3. Olathe East</TD><TD>0-0</TD><TD>did not play</TD><TD>vs. Olathe North</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-even-row><TD>4. Lee’s Summit West</TD><TD>0-1</TD><TD>lost to Blue Springs 36-35</TD><TD>at Truman</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-odd-row><TD>5. St. Thomas Aquinas</TD><TD>0-0</TD><TD>did not play</TD><TD>vs. North Kansas City</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-even-row><TD>SMALL CLASS</TD><TD>REC</TD><TD>LAST WEEK</TD><TD>THIS WEEK</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-odd-row><TD>1. Kearney</TD><TD>1-0</TD><TD>defeated Raytown 52-0</TD><TD>vs. Fort Osage</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-even-row><TD>2. Harrisonville</TD><TD>0-1</TD><TD>lost to Webb City 27-21</TD><TD>at Hannibal, Mo.</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-odd-row><TD>3. Grain Valley</TD><TD>1-0</TD><TD>defeated Lincoln Prep 59-41</TD><TD>at Marshall, Mo.</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-even-row><TD>4. Pleasant Hill</TD><TD>1-0</TD><TD>defeated Smithville 28-0</TD><TD>at Cameron</TD></TR><TR class=story-table-odd-row><TD>5. Bishop Miege</TD><TD>0-0</TD><TD>did not play</TD><TD>vs. Atchison, Kan.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Apparently Rockhurst won against Hutch by only a late TD and word had it they didn't play well and the refs sucked in favor of Rockhurst.

|Zach|
09-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Apparently Rockhurst won against Hutch by only a late TD and word had it they didn't play well and the refs sucked in favor of Rockhurst.
Saw some highlights...Hutch had a punt return for a TD called back due to illegal block that didn't seem to near the play but illegal still.

Also they had a weird turnover where (IMO) the Hutch player ran the ball across the goal line and then fumbled for a turnover and no TD.

Weird.

Rockhurst pulled an impressive play out for what proved to be the winning 7.

irishjayhawk
09-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Saw some highlights...Hutch had a punt return for a TD called back due to illegal block that didn't seem to near the play but illegal still.

Also they had a weird turnover where (IMO) the Hutch player ran the ball across the goal line and then fumbled for a turnover and no TD.

Weird.

Rockhurst pulled an impressive play out for what proved to be the winning 7.

Thanks for the more detailed explanation.

Sam Hall
09-05-2008, 11:01 PM
LSW beat Truman tonight 38-0 but it was even worse than the score. I bet Truman didn't have 50 yards of positive scrimmage yards against us the whole game(Phobia was there covering the game for his paper so he may have the stats). And thats after about halfway through the 3rd quarter when the starters got pulled.

Totally outclassed. I don't think even our own boys were having any fun laying the wood.

I heard a detail about Adam Burton's suspension that makes it even more shocking.

BigRedChief
09-05-2008, 11:04 PM
I heard a detail about Adam Burton's suspension that makes it even more shocking.
I don't know the rumor you heard but he got caught chewing tobacco.

Sam Hall
09-05-2008, 11:07 PM
I need to warn Mizzou fans about Blaine Dalton. His passes float in the air. It's a problem, and I wonder if Pinkel knows. Dalton makes plays with his legs, but he throws dangerous passes. People question whether he will play at Mizzou.

Sam Hall
09-05-2008, 11:09 PM
I don't know the rumor you heard but he got caught chewing tobacco.

He got caught chewing tobacco in the head coach's class.

BigRedChief
09-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Yep.

Doesn't make sense.
Yeah, my sons football team went in 4 years from a start up school to the 4a state championship and has made it to the state playoffs every year.

They finally bumped us up to 5a this year. We probably should go to 6A next year. After the Blue Speings game I think LSW has proven its ready to play and beat the big boys.

BigRedChief
09-05-2008, 11:18 PM
He got caught chewing tobacco in the head coach's class.
Class? The head football coach at LSW teaches 2 study halls a day.

Sam Hall
09-05-2008, 11:20 PM

Then it makes even more sense. Burton probably thought it would be easy to get away with it.

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 11:20 PM

Head Coaches teach class? In Clinton I think he just takes care of things like talking to teachers about how they need to bump up his star football players test scores just a bit more.

ChiefsCountry
09-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Heck my town has had only one good season ever (my senior year) and our head coach is now asst. principal and its basically the most cush job on campus just bc of our season. Also it got the school a new stadium, field turf and weight training facility thanks to Walton family.

|Zach|
09-05-2008, 11:27 PM
K. Donahoe at BS teaches psychology.

BigRedChief
09-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Then it makes even more sense. Burton probably thought it would be easy to get away with it.
He could have screwed the pooch.

He has a full ride scholorship to a top 5 Division 1 school and he almost blew it over chewing tobacco?ROFL

BigRedChief
09-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Head Coaches teach class? In Clinton I think he just takes care of things like talking to teachers about how they need to bump up his star football players test scores just a bit more.

Curious about something. How many of your football players in an average year get full ride scholorships?

Sam Hall
09-05-2008, 11:40 PM
He could have screwed the pooch.

He has a full ride scholorship to a top 5 Division 1 school and he almost blew it over chewing tobacco?ROFL

Hopefully it doesn't cost the Titans against Fort Osage. I was told his suspension lasts four games.

I'm looking forward to a potential playoff game against No. 2-ranked Park Hill. They played a phenomenal overtime game tonight against Blue Springs South. The South defense couldn't stop running back Sam Pour. The kid had eight carries for 149 yards and two touchdowns in the first half. I think he's a Division I running back.

Of course, the Titans have to win a tough district first.

BigRedChief
09-05-2008, 11:58 PM
Hopefully it doesn't cost the Titans against Fort Osage. I was told his suspension lasts four games.

I'm looking forward to a potential playoff game against No. 2-ranked Park Hill. They played a phenomenal overtime game tonight against Blue Springs South. The South defense couldn't stop running back Sam Pour. The kid had eight carries for 149 yards and two touchdowns in the first half. I think he's a Division I running back.

LSW starting defense is all seniors. They have 4 players that already have full ride scholorships from Division 1 schools. Every single player on that defense will get an offer of a free ride scholorship.

22 players on LSW's last year recieved full ride scholorships. 22. Thats why I asked Pastor about his team. Is that normal for a top level high school team?

ChiefsCountry
09-06-2008, 12:02 AM
No its not. Actually alot of the best high school programs in the state wont hardly have anybody play college football let alone at the I-A level.

PastorMikH
09-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Curious about something. How many of your football players in an average year get full ride scholorships?

Not very many actually. Our program's current success has more to do with our HC than anything else (he's won 8 of our 15 championships). He's very tough. They said on the pregame tonight that he works the kids harder in camp than some college programs do. But the kids love him and have a lot of respect for him. He also is great at making adjustments. Add in the kids we have playing are going home to dads, uncles, and grandfathers who played in a championship game for Clinton. (With our 15 wins, we have been in over half of the state championship games played since 1960) It is to the point here that state finals aren't hoped for, they are expected, and our HC does a pretty good job of delivering with whatever talent he has to work with.

Most of the larger scolarships our kids get are to the smaller schools. Probably our most famous player was Roy Bell who played back in the 60s. He went on to OU and later I believe he was drafted by Dallas but never saw regular season action with them.

BigRedChief
09-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Anyone know if the Rockhurt vs. Hutchinson KS game is on the radio anywhere? Updates if you got 'em please.
Rockhurst defeats Hutchinson 28-21, ends Salt Hawks’ 36-game winning streak

<TABLE><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE>This may not end the arguments. And it probably won’t stop anyone from talking smack on message boards about who has better high school football, Missouri or Kansas.
But one thing is certain: The Rockhurst and Hutchinson fantasy matchup proved that both states should be proud.

On a cool and comfortable Friday night, the Missouri Class 6 Rockhurst Hawklets beat the best team in Kansas — and got beat up.
Not my words, Tony Severino’s. Yeah, his Rockhurst boys walked off the field 28-21 winners. But as soon as Severino wrapped up his private locker-room speech, the Hawklet training room got busy. The Hawklets needed attention after banging and crashing all night long with a fired-up Salt Hawk team out to prove a point.

“That was one heck of a football game,” Severino said, his raspy voice in need of a shot of hot tea. “We’re beat up.”
It wasn’t perfect, but it was a great game to watch, so now let it be known: Kansas plays football, too.

“Definitely Hutchinson football is legit, no doubt about,” said Rockhurst senior Nate Scheelhaase, who should know after being hit all night by those Kansans. Even so, Scheelhaase rushed for 100 yards and was behind all of his team’s touchdowns.
The Rockhurst defense finally decided this one, corralling Salt Hawk bruiser Josh Smith 3 yards short on a fourth-and-long play with less than 3 minutes to go.

Just that much. Relief swept through the stadium like a cool breeze. For another night, bragging rights stayed in Missouri. But not without a fight.
Hutchinson players might as well have walked into Dasta Memorial draped in the Kansas flag. All week long they’d been beseeched to “win one for the Sunflower State.”

“It’s huge,” senior Nate Dreiling said before the game, “not just for us but for the whole entire state of Kansas.”
They wanted to make believers out of you — all of you Missouri snobs who think football prowess ends at State Line Road. So on that front, mission accomplished, Hutch.
“We had plenty of chances to win this game tonight,” Hutchinson coach Randy Dreiling said. “We certainly did not disgrace ourselves. I thought we played our hearts out.”

In the days leading up to the game, Dreiling told a funny story: Last Sunday, he and his coaching staff had attended Rockhurst’s game at Blue Springs South. Clothed in Hutch gear, of course, they were noticed by none other than Scheelhaase’s father. So the story goes, Nate’s dad asked, tongue in cheek: “What’s a Salt Hawk?”
Dreiling gave it right back, saying “It was a fictitious bird that eats Hawklets.”

Those Salt Hawks, four-time defending big-class state champs, were ready. Not only with witty one-liners but with head-knockers. Just ask Sal Belfonte, Keith Langtry and Scheelhaase, the son. They all had to strap their helmets back on after being on the receiving end of vicious hits.
“So you know pads are popping,” Scheelhaase said.
And flags were flying, too. Hutch racked up 105 penalty yards, including a false start on its final drive. The Salt Hawks also fired too many blanks inside the red zone.

If only Hutchinson had scored touchdowns on its three first-half trips inside the Rock 20, instead of settling on two field goals. If Smith had held on to the ball longer in the end zone, he would have had a game-tying touchdown in the third quarter. But the officials said he fumbled. Rockhurst senior Jake Doller, holding on for dear life, was at the bottom of the scrum with ball. On the very next Salt Hawks possession, Deveon Dinwiddie’s 50-yard punt return touchdown was called back for an illegal block.

Had Hutchinson gotten a break here and there, today’s flame wars on message boards would have Kansas fans pushing out their chests.
But hey, do so anyway. Hutchinson made believers out of those on the field.

“This is one fine football team,” Severino said. “I’m telling you, that’s as good of a football team we’ve seen in five years.”

BigRedChief
09-06-2008, 12:11 AM
No its not. Actually alot of the best high school programs in the state wont hardly have anybody play college football let alone at the I-A level.
From the LSW booster club website

2007 LSW Football players recieved these full scholorships.

2 Alumni
to D1 Programs

4 Alumni
to D1-AA Programs

5 Alumni
to D2 Programs

7 Alumni
to NAIA Programs

4 Alumni
to Junior College Programs

PastorMikH
09-06-2008, 12:15 AM
LSW starting defense is all seniors. They have 4 players that already have full ride scholorships from Division 1 schools. Every single player on that defense will get an offer of a free ride scholorship.

22 players on LSW's last year recieved full ride scholorships. 22. Thats why I asked Pastor about his team. Is that normal for a top level high school team?

The first Clinton game I saw was for the state championship against Glenpool. Our 5 starting OLmen probably didn't add up to 800 pounds. Our entire team was small and was getting pushed around in the first half. But, in the second half, the stamina those smaller players had won out over the bigger team, we were still running full speed when the other team was out of gas. By the end of the 3rd quarter, we had made up for the 10 point or so deficit and was ahead by 2 scores.

One of our best DBs over the last several years was so short that if he didn't tuck his jersey in, it looked like he was wearing a dress. But he was fast, really fast, could jump high, catch, and hit hard (saw him on a punt return field the ball and nail a 6', 200lb kid coming to tackle him so hard he dropped the guy to his knees and kept on going.

Small players like ours aren't going to get many calls from major schools no matter how much heart or how tough they are. And those size players are fairly typical for our school.

BigRedChief
09-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Not very many actually. Our program's current success has more to do with our HC than anything else (he's won 8 of our 15 championships). He's very tough. They said on the pregame tonight that he works the kids harder in camp than some college programs do. But the kids love him and have a lot of respect for him. He also is great at making adjustments. Add in the kids we have playing are going home to dads, uncles, and grandfathers who played in a championship game for Clinton. (With our 15 wins, we have been in over half of the state championship games played since 1960) It is to the point here that state finals aren't hoped for, they are expected, and our HC does a pretty good job of delivering with whatever talent he has to work with.

Most of the larger scolarships our kids get are to the smaller schools. Probably our most famous player was Roy Bell who played back in the 60s. He went on to OU and later I believe he was drafted by Dallas but never saw regular season action with them.
He sounds like a helluva coach. I think we got lucky and got one too. I think he will stay until his son graduates. His son is 6'3" 260 as a freshmen on the O-Line.

Head Coach – Royce Boehm, 39-13 (won-loss record)
(2004, 4-8);
(2005, 9-4);
(2006, 12-1);
(2007, 14-0)
The Independence Examiner/Coach of the Year – 2005
Suburban Small 6 Conf./Coach of the Year – 2006
Suburban Small 6 Conf./Coach of the Year – 2007
MOFBCA Class 4/Coach of the Year – 2007
AP Class 4 (MSSA)/Coach of the Year – 2007
KC Metro Sports Missouri Coach of the Year – 2007

BigRedChief
09-06-2008, 12:28 AM
No kidding. We have to play Belton on the road. Ray Pec at home and travel to Springfield to play Central on a school night.

PastorMikH
09-06-2008, 12:34 AM
He sounds like a helluva coach. I think we got lucky and got one too. I think he will stay until his son graduates. His son is 6'3" 260 as a freshmen on the O-Line.

Head Coach – Royce Boehm, 39-13 (won-loss record)
(2004, 4-8);
(2005, 9-4);
(2006, 12-1);
(2007, 14-0)
The Independence Examiner/Coach of the Year – 2005
Suburban Small 6 Conf./Coach of the Year – 2006
Suburban Small 6 Conf./Coach of the Year – 2007
MOFBCA Class 4/Coach of the Year – 2007
AP Class 4 (MSSA)/Coach of the Year – 2007
KC Metro Sports Missouri Coach of the Year – 2007

I can't find anything showing his record currently. He's been here 18 years, and in that time he has turned our program back around and has 8 first place trophies. I do know I can count our loses since I got here in 2003 on one hand and still have fingers left over (he's 52-4 since I came to town).

The best thing about our HC is he seems like he's here to stay. He's passed up offers at other schools to stay. Watching him on the field, I worry about a coronary though.

Sully
09-06-2008, 09:29 AM
I don't even want to talk about our game last night.
We were doing pretty well, sticking with our game plane, ding all the right things...

...then we got off the bus.
It was a massacre.

Anyhow, I just watched the Rock-Hutch game, and it was great. I love the flexbone in high school ball. I was very impressed with Hutch... VERY. Zack, you were right, the refs were VERY interested in helping Rockhurst out, it seemed. I also loved how Severino had Scheelhaas (sp?) playing defense. I think too many coaches treat their QBs like China dolls, and never build any real toughness in them because of that. Here, you've got one of the top 3-4 QBs int he state, and he's finishing the game by making tackles. I love it.

Sully
09-06-2008, 09:30 AM

I can't imagine Fort being a problem.

BigRedChief
09-06-2008, 09:30 AM
I can't find anything showing his record currently. He's been here 18 years, and in that time he has turned our program back around and has 8 first place trophies. I do know I can count our loses since I got here in 2003 on one hand and still have fingers left over (he's 52-4 since I came to town).

The best thing about our HC is he seems like he's here to stay. He's passed up offers at other schools to stay. Watching him on the field, I worry about a coronary though.
52-4 is pretty dang good!:clap: Can you transfer a little of that karma to our Chiefs?

BigRedChief
09-06-2008, 09:33 AM
I don't even want to talk about our game last night.
We were doing pretty well, sticking with our game plane, ding all the right things...

...then we got off the bus.
It was a massacre.
Who's your team Sully?

BigRedChief
09-06-2008, 10:13 AM
http://www.kcondemand.com/Article.aspx?Id=10676&CatID=30 (http://www.kcondemand.com/Article.aspx?Id=10676&CatID=30)

BP’S Power 5 – Week 1

“Rock” and Roll; BS’ Bold Move

by Brad Porter (brad.porter@twcable.com)

What an opening weekend for the 2008 high school football season. “The Rock” rolled Blue Springs South on ESPN. The Originals from Springs de Blue made a bold move to get a big win. The Hill survived against a better Northtowner squad. And, well, we will have to wait for the Sunflowers to finally get going.

As always, I welcome e-mail responses to the Power 5. Again, the Power 5 is purely subjective based on my impressions. It is impossible to see every game, obviously. I look at the highlights we shoot for High School Round Up and scan the stories and box scores in the local newspapers and try to cobble together some thoughts.

I have to clock the Kansas City Star over their story on how high pressure the Rockhurst-Blue Springs South game was thanks to ESPN. I seem to remember the Star doing several lead-up stories to the game – including a list of reasons it was the “must watch” game of century. Yes, ESPN played a part. But the Star did it’s best to pile on the expectations and the pressure. Hey, we are all guilty in this thing. But let us not pile on one entity while excluding another.

Great job by South, by the way, as hosts of the ESPN game. I thought both schools handled themselves admirably and South did a great job of presenting the game to a national television audience. Kudos to South A.D. Mark Bubalo, South coach Greg Oder, Rockhurst A.D. Peter Campbell, and Rockhurst coach Tony Severino. (Full disclosure: Coach Bubalo was my journalism teacher in high school. In my mind – he can do no wrong. ‘Course, some of you now know who to blame for my drivel.)

Here it is – BP’s Power 5 – Week 1:

1) Rockhurst (last week’s ranking: 1) – maybe the biggest no-doubter in this poll. After a shaky first half, Nat and the fellas rolled. WR Keith Langtry is making his case for a spot on the All-Metro Sports 1st team. Chris C-a-s-t-e-l-l-u-c-c-i-o --- welcome to the big-time, kid. Another Belfonte doing damage? Like the sun coming up in the morning. Well done by the Rockhurst defense to harass and confuse a young BSS squad. Nat got a post-game text from Illini QB Juice Williams. Good stuff. Now what? A short work-week to prepare to host the Kansas big-class state champs from Hutchinson. By the way, ESPN, it is Nathan – not Nate (I get away with Nat ‘cause he knows it is all in fun. Ya gotta know the guy before you roll with a tag). And Rockhurst is NOT in downtown Kansas City. And Blue Springs is NOT a one-hour drive from Columbia – unless you are in a Gulfstream G650.. Oh, well.

2) Blue Springs (last week’s ranking: tied for 3rd) – what did I say last week? I would never pick against a Kelly Donahoe coached team? Ya, and now we know why. I like the Originals going for the 2-point conversion to get the win for a number of reasons. 1) Games do not really count ‘til districts, so why not go for two? 2) Sends a message that this is what big-time schools and big-time coaches do – take risks. 3) Most importantly, now every team that faces the ‘Cats will have to account for the BS extra-point team going for one or two. Good luck with that come playoff time. Now gear up for back-to-back roadies at St. Joe Central and Rockhurst.

3) Lee’s Summit West (last week’s ranking: 2) – the Titans lost on a last-second, 2-point conversion to the Originals. After moving from Class 4 to Class 5, they still opened against a Class 6 team. Good show. No shame in an early loss to the ‘Cats. Now a roadie at Truman. Time for the Elder Gods to get back on the horse.

4) Park Hill (last week’s ranking: 4) – built a big lead on Northtowners – then almost let it slip away. Had the Stripes converted extra points this could have gone horribly wrong. Survive and advance. Now get to host a ticked off Blue Springs South squad. Interesting.

5) Kearney (last week’s ranking: On The Radar) – stomped Raytown 52-0. Cody Creason: 2 TD runs on offense; one fumble returned for TD. Looks like the ‘Dogs are barking for Greg Jones – loud enough to get into the Power 5. Showdown with the “The Fort” this week….cannot wait.

On The Radar:

• Olathe East (last week’s ranking: tied for 3rd) – hard to drop a school that did not play, but, the Power 5 is about which teams are playing the best right now. The Mayor’s team opens against an Olathe North squad that feels overlooked. Do not overlook James Franklin, Kevin Young, or the Iggles. Get it done and the Hawks and win re-election to the Power 5 – guaranteed!

• St. Thomas Aquinas (last week’s ranking: 5) – again, did not play. Will engage in a cross-stater with NKC this week. We’ll see how the H-nets bounce back and how ready the Saints are to begin the march towards state. A win and the Kopecky crew get back in the Power 5.

• Blue Springs South – As I said last week, it was hard to put them in the Power 5 to open the season with so many young and inexperienced players in the line-up. We saw why in the loss to “The Rock” on ESPN. Still, the Southies have never been a school to back away from a big game. Now they get Park Hill and Ray-Pec back-to-back. Good test for the Jags.

• Ft. Osage – outstanding comeback against PH South. Krysa – 24 totes for a buck-55 and a kick-off return for the game-winning score. Not to America – do not kick to ball to Krysa or Maclin (random Mizzou reference). Now a roadie at Kearney. A win here and “The Fort” is probably the next team into the Power 5.

• Olathe North – good e-mail support despite not playing a game yet. Get the East Enders and, like Ft. O., probably in the Power 5. No pressure.

• Harrisonville – lost in the dying seconds to MO Power Webb City that snapped H-Town’s 41-game winning streak. Can’t hold that against a team with a new coach, new QB, and new challenges. Looking for the bounce-backer at Hannibal.

• Liberty – dropped the hammer in Hickman. Now already 33% of last season’s win total. Losing football and Liberty just do not go together. A homer vs Ray-Pec is a good litmus test for Power 5 consideration.

• Ray-Pec - walloped Truman. 42 1st-half points and didn’t look back. 2 TD passes from another Coffman – Cameron. Scary. My bad the Pec-sters were not here last week. Now a roadie at Liberty. Good match-up and probable evidence to move closer to the Power 5.

• O’Hara – Welcome to “The Show “ - James Tillman – 2 TD runs (1 and 91 yards, respectively) and a 45-yard TD catch and run. Nicely done, young man.

• Blue Valley West – idle last week. The 5A state champs move up to 6A and open against 5A Mill Valley – hummmm. We will see if the Wright Wingers can move to rock after losing the firm of Besler, Copp, and Ashley.

• Blue Valley – open at Manhattan. Can’t tell you much beyond that.

• Bishop Miege – host Atchison. Can’t tell you much beyond that.

On The Radar:

* Gardner-Edgerton, Pleasant Hill, and Bonner Springs.

Off The Scope, for now:

• Park Hill South – need to regroup after coughing up a late-lead against “The Fort.” If you ever see Krysa back to return the kick – just throw the ball out-of-bounds (I admit, that is easy for me to say – I do not have to coach or live with the consequences. My bad.) The good news – shutout Krysa and company in 1st and 3rd quarters. The bad news – have up 28 points combined in 2nd and 4th quarters.

• Hickman Mills – tough loss to the Spoofhounds. Hung for a half, then, not.

Allllllrighty then! Sunflowers will get into the Power 5 next week with wins. Show-Me’s who fell need to bounce back. Everybody else, take care of bid-ness.

grandllama
09-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Who's your team Sully?

Totally off topic, but who are those ugly farks in your signature pic?

ROFL

How you been BRC?

Mr. Plow
09-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Sounds like the Hutch/Rockhurst game was a good one. Wish I could have been there to support my hometown Salthawks.

BigRedChief
09-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Totally off topic, but who are those ugly farks in your signature pic?

ROFL

How you been BRC?
Went back to work for the federal government after a stint in St. Louis as a contracter for Boeing. You still in Indy getting highly overpaid?

grandllama
09-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Went back to work for the federal government after a stint in St. Louis as a contracter for Boeing. You still in Indy getting highly overpaid?

Nah, I'm in Vegas now being highly overpaid by an Indy company on the same project. The GF (the new Ms. Llama, not the old Ms. Llama) got offered an incredible job out here in clinical research. The company figured since I had been more or less working remotely since they were sending me to France so much and at last check the airport worked in Las Vegas, they would be ok with me working remotely here.

We tried to get back to KC but the job offer here simply could not be refused at this point in her career.

Back to the pic in your sig, I don't think I had ever seen that one. I remember when we took it and I look so much sexier than I do in my avatar ROFL. If you have the full size of that one I would love to have a copy.

BigRedChief
09-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Nah, I'm in Vegas now being highly overpaid by an Indy company on the same project. The GF (the new Ms. Llama, not the old Ms. Llama) got offered an incredible job out here in clinical research. The company figured since I had been more or less working remotely since they were sending me to France so much and at last check the airport worked in Las Vegas, they would be ok with me working remotely here.

We tried to get back to KC but the job offer here simply could not be refused at this point in her career.

Back to the pic in your sig, I don't think I had ever seen that one. I remember when we took it and I look so much sexier than I do in my avatar ROFL. If you have the full size of that one I would love to have a copy.
It's in my profile in the Planet Pictures folder. Theres also a thread in the Pictures forum about the folder.

Sully
09-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Can anyone tell me what local teams run the Flexbone offense?

Sam Hall
09-06-2008, 01:46 PM
No kidding. We have to play Belton on the road. Ray Pec at home and travel to Springfield to play Central on a school night.

Ray-Pec QB Cameron Coffman was 18 of 21 for 534 yards and five touchdowns last night against Liberty.

LSW could have trouble winning the district. I've been told the new starters are arrogant, and they've been flaunting their state title rings. I was told their team mentality from the past is lacking this season. It all makes sense considering the Burton situation.

BigRedChief
09-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Ray-Pec QB Cameron Coffman was 18 of 21 for 534 yards and five touchdowns last night against Liberty.

LSW could have trouble winning the district. I've been told the new starters are arrogant, and they've been flaunting their state title rings. I was told their team mentality from the past is lacking this season. It all makes sense considering the Burton situation.
You have heard correct. I've heard the same thing. Kids getting away with sleeping in class etc. I also know the coaches are working on it. Showing them film for 2 hours on Saturday mornings of their screw ups, stuff they can do better etc. It's almost like they are already in college. Maybe having an active booster club and getting thousands of $'s for the best equipment and coaches/trainers doesn't help.:hmmm:

It's a hard sell when you are a high school kid. Every single player on your defense is a starting senior and will get a scholorship to play football in college. Last years team had 22 players earn scholorships to play football. You went 14-0 and beat most teams like they were also rans including when they won a state championship. Its got to be hard for a 16,17 year old to not be arrogant but you know you have to have swagger on the football field. I know that the coaches and players at LSW believe they can beat anyone if they play to their potential. Wheres the line drawn when swagger becomes arrogance that keeps you from achieving?

PastorMikH
09-06-2008, 06:01 PM
You have heard correct. I've heard the same thing. Kids getting away with sleeping in class etc. I also know the coaches are working on it. Showing them film for 2 hours on Saturday mornings of their screw ups, stuff they can do better etc. It's almost like they are already in college. Maybe having an active booster club and getting thousands of $'s for the best equipment and coaches/trainers doesn't help.:hmmm:

It's a hard sell when you are a high school kid. Every single player on your defense is a starting senior and will get a scholorship to play football in college. Last years team had 22 players earn scholorships to play football. You went 14-0 and beat most teams like they were also rans including when they won a state championship. Its got to be hard for a 16,17 year old to not be arrogant but you know you have to have swagger on the football field. I know that the coaches and players at LSW believe they can beat anyone if they play to their potential. Wheres the line drawn when swagger becomes arrogance that keeps you from achieving?

Trust me, a few years of swagger and arrogance from winning it all can come back on them. We won 3 straight 4A championships then got bumped to 3A. Should have walked away with it, but the kids were so cocky they got sent home in quarter finals. That took them back down to earth.

BigRedChief
09-08-2008, 01:47 PM
KCStar: Friday night brights: LS West shakes off hangover
http://varsity.kansascity.com/custom/article&news_id=1374

Coach Royce Boehm is first to admit his Lee’s Summit West football team suffered from a bit of a hangover after a tough 36-35 loss in week one to Blue Springs.

“We’re always telling the kids, you perform like you practice,” Boehm said. “And practice was sloppy early in the week.”

Boehm said the Titans also came out sloppy in their game Friday night against Truman. The score was scoreless at the end of the first quarter.
But the Titans, ignited by a 45-yard interception return for a touchdown from Zane Eulinger, scored 24 points in the second quarter and rolled on to a 38-0 victory at Truman.

“That sparked us,” Boehm said. “Once we got it started, we got it working. We put the ball in the end zone on the ground and in the air … and, on defense.”
Boehm especially singled out the hard running of tailback Aaron Vanderpool.

The Titans’ job doesn’t get any easier next week. They play host to Fort Osage, which lost a heartbreaker, 17-7, to top-ranked Kearney.
But they’ll enter that game with the same kind of winning momentum they carried during their 14-0 Missouri Class 4 state championship season.
<HL2 class=subhead>Better than ‘pretty good’</HL2>After St. Thomas Aquinas’ 76-0 drubbing of North Kansas City, Aquinas coach Kevin Kopecky might have delivered the understatement of the season.

“This was one of those games where you come out and hope to see what your team might look like and hope for not too many penalties with it being the first game of the year,” Kopecky said.
“I’d say we looked pretty good tonight.”

Quarterback Ricky Nachbar threw for 296 yards and five touchdowns on 15-of-22 passing. Running back Andrew Gittimeier ran for 144 yards and two touchdowns in just nine carries as the Saints scored 21 points in each of the final two quarters.

<HL2 class=subhead>Blue Springs South needed OT</HL2>Blue Springs South bounced back from its season-opening loss to Rockhurst on ESPN, edging Park Hill 35-34 in overtime.

South got the ball first in overtime and scored on a Cameron Davis run, and Brian Geraghty converted the all-important extra point.
Not wanting to go to a second overtime, Park Hill went for a two-point conversion after it scored, but the pass attempt fell incomplete.
South trailed by 10 with just 2 minutes left in regulation, but after a touchdown, recovered an onside kick and drove into field-goal range where Geraghty converted the tying field goal with just 8 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

PastorMikH
09-08-2008, 08:50 PM
I knew we were up there in W's but tonight I did a quick search of winningest high school programs 'cause my middle daughter had a kid from our old town talking trash about their 8th grade team could beat our HS team.

According to this site, our program is 19th in the nation on the list of winningest high school football programs.

http://www.epasports.com/AmericasWinningestTeams.asp

ChiefsCountry
09-08-2008, 08:52 PM

Warsaw does, but that is 2 hours from KC.

ChiefsCountry
09-08-2008, 08:53 PM
I knew we were up there in W's but tonight I did a quick search of winningest high school programs 'cause my middle daughter had a kid from our old town talking trash about their 8th grade team could beat our HS team.

According to this site, our program is 19th in the nation on the list of winningest high school football programs.

http://www.epasports.com/AmericasWinningestTeams.asp

I'm suprised Jefferson City isnt on that list.

BigRedChief
09-09-2008, 06:32 AM
Metro Sports High School Football Super 25 Poll

After Week 2

by Shawn Beldin (shawn.beldin@twcable.com)

1. Rockhurst (2-0)
2. Blue Springs (2-0)
3. LS West (1-1)
4. Olathe East (1-0)
5. Aquinas (1-0)
6. BS South (1-1)
7. Kearney (2-0)
8. Park Hill (1-1)
9. Olathe North (0-1)
10. Fort Osage (1-1)
11. Harrisonville (1-1)
12. SMNW (1-0)
13. Olathe South (1-0)
14. Ray-Pec (2-0)
15. SM West (1-0)
16. BV West (1-0)
17. Gardner Edgerton (1-0)
18. Chillicothe (2-0)
19. Raytown South (2-0)
20. Pleasant Hill (2-0)
21. Bonner Springs (1-0)
22. Bishop Miege (1-0)
23. Oak Grove (2-0)
24. Hickman MIlls (1-1)
25. Grain Valley (2-0)

BigRedChief
09-09-2008, 06:33 AM
I know LSW does.

MOhillbilly
09-09-2008, 06:52 AM
id like to hear lil stumpys side of what happened against ozark.

BigRedChief
09-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Yeah, he's been curiously absent since he said his team(Willard) would beat LSW if they played them this year.

Chief Henry
09-09-2008, 08:54 AM
We're 2-0 and face a tough passing attack this friday night. I hope our secondary is up to the challenge.

LiL stumppy
09-09-2008, 11:01 AM

We were beating them 90% of the game, got the ball at the 20 with 12 min in the fourth. Marched down to the 30 or so and had a turnover on down with 2 min left. We dropped an interception that would have closed the game, and Ozark marched down and scored with 20 seconds left. Just didn't finish the game. Lost by 3.

LiL stumppy
09-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Yeah, he's been curiously absent since he said his team(Willard) would beat LSW if they played them this year.

Ah, no where did I say that :)

Only thing I said was if they are still class 4 we may meet up with them in the playoffs.

MOhillbilly
09-09-2008, 11:10 AM
We were beating them 90% of the game, got the ball at the 20 with 12 min in the fourth. Marched down to the 30 or so and had a turnover on down with 2 min left. We dropped an interception that would have closed the game, and Ozark marched down and scored with 20 seconds left. Just didn't finish the game. Lost by 3.
what was the distance on the fourth down play?

BigRedChief
09-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Ah, no where did I say that :)

Only thing I said was if they are still class 4 we may meet up with them in the playoffs.
just talking smack Lil stumppy you wern't coming off as an arrogant prick or anything. Just busting balls.

LiL stumppy
09-09-2008, 04:03 PM
what was the distance on the fourth down play?

8 Yards. TE ran a 7 yard out lol. We had the the game won, just didn't finish it.

PastorMikH
09-09-2008, 04:50 PM
8 Yards. TE ran a 7 yard out lol. We had the the game won, just didn't finish it.

How many Chiefs games have you seen where fans and announcers alike harp on the question of why you run and out pattern 1 yard short of the first down marker?

You and your TE should have known better!:shake:

Sorry to hear about your loss. This your Sr year?

plbrdude
09-09-2008, 06:32 PM
we got the 8-man thing going on here. so far 2-0.
beat st. joe christian 54-6
beat heartland 68-0

LiL stumppy
09-09-2008, 07:54 PM
just talking smack Lil stumppy you wern't coming off as an arrogant prick or anything. Just busting balls.

gotcha, my apologies.

LiL stumppy
09-09-2008, 07:55 PM
How many Chiefs games have you seen where fans and announcers alike harp on the question of why you run and out pattern 1 yard short of the first down marker?

You and your TE should have known better!:shake:

Sorry to hear about your loss. This your Sr year?

Ha yea I hear it all the time, I ran the right route, he just didn't throw to me lol. Yea its my SR year.

BigRedChief
09-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Did you guys and gals know that if your 16/17 year old gets in an car accident that they lose their elgibility to participate in <ST1:p<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Missouri</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">High School </st1:PlaceType></ST1:psports. We are not talking about drug or alchohol involvement only. Your son or daughter backs out of a parking space and into someone they are at that moment considered suspended

Only after completion of all court appearances, community service, payment of fines etc will the elgibility be restored. <O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

That could be like 6 months. You know what the chances of a 16 year old being involved in a wreck with in their first year of driving? 90%.

<O:p</O:pI’m all for holding student/athletes to a higher conduct code than Joe Average student but this is insane. <O:p</O:p

PastorMikH
09-13-2008, 11:35 AM
We had a doozey of a game last night. Pouring down rain for much of the first quarter before finally letting up and coming to and end in the second. The new assistant football coach had done such a wonderful job on the field all summer long and it looked the best that I have seen in the last 4 years we have been here. The rains all week, the rains all day yesterday, and the game last night ruined all of his work. Looks like we are playing on dirt or mud between the hash marks here on out.

As for the game, we were only able to score 21, but the other team was only able to score 6. Ball carriers were pretty much limited to running straight lines as cutbacks were out of the question. Lots of turnovers and missed tackles both ways due to the muddy conditions.

Over all, it was pretty fun watching them in a mudfest though.

|Zach|
09-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Got a text message from an old friend that Rockhurst and Blue Springs are in overtime right now.

|Zach|
09-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Blue Springs beats Rockhurst in OT. 28-21.

Good work boys!

BigRedChief
09-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Over all, it was pretty fun watching them in a mudfest though.
The LSW game got moved to the astroturf of William Chrisman high in Independence because of the rain.

We played the #10th ranked 5A team in the state, Fort Osage.

We won 21-11. I'm writing up a little article for Phobia's paper about the game. I don't know if he wants me to post it here and since he's paying me all this money I'd better hold off.:)

BigRedChief
09-13-2008, 01:18 PM

Good work boys!
Cool :clap:

Makes us look even better. We get you guys next year also except this time its at LSW.

Phobia
09-13-2008, 01:24 PM
The LSW game got moved to the astroturf of William Chrisman high in Independence because of the rain.

We played the #10th ranked 5A team in the state, Fort Osage.

We won 21-11. I'm writing up a little article for Phobia's paper about the game. I don't know if he wants me to post it here and since he's paying me all this money I'd better hold off.:)

Post away, Doug. When we're better equipped to get them immediately uploaded to our website, we'll direct them there but we're still a couple days off.

I thought it looked really good, if you haven't checked your email yet.

BigRedChief
09-13-2008, 01:42 PM
By
BigRedChief
For the
GreenSummit Dispatch (Phobia's paper)

There was a fierce fusion of heaven and earth in Independence on Friday night. Nature brought heavy sheeting rain from the heavens and tornado warnings. The earth was the landscape for an energetic clash of will power at the football game between the Lee’s Summit West Titans and the Fort Osage Indians.

The two teams were both in the top ten of Missouri High school football rankings. Fort Osage is playing the second game of a brutal schedule. They faced Missouri’s #1 ranked 4A Kearney last week. Then have to turn around and play the #1 ranked 5A LSW Titans this week.

Because of the weather and rain in the area, the game was moved to William Chrisman’s artificial turf field. The game time was moved up as to not conflict with an already scheduled game on the field. What was to be the home opener for the Titans felt like an away game for many of the faithful Titan fans in the stands braving the elements.

The Titans were in no mood to be empathetic of Fort Osage’s tough schedule. The Titans came out fired up and ready to play. On the 3rd play of the game QB Bryant (BJ) Jackson from a nicely protected pocket lofted a beautiful spiral over the head of the defender hitting Grant Mueller in perfect running stride for a nicely done over the shoulder catch and the 17 yard touchdown.

The Titans were threatening again to score with the ball on the Indians 26 yard line with 5:40 still to go in the 1st quarter. A Titan fumble stopped that drive and the skirmish in the trenches had begun. Fort Osage was able to grind out a 10-minute long smash mouth football drive. Fort Osage RB Dalton Kysra was able to find the seams in the DL and make it to the LSW second level of defense throughout the drive.

There were a small number of missed tackles but it was essentially straight up pummel the rock into the line football. After several first downs including a courageous call by Fort Osage Coach Ryan Schartz to go for it on a 4th and inches. The Indians and Kysra were able to keep hammering the ball on the ground against the highly rated LSW defense.

Fort Osage were on the verge of a tying TD with first and goal. They stayed with the smash mouth football that had effectively driven the team down the field. Kysra and the Indians offense ran the ball twice and were on the LSW 2 yard line with a 3rd down pending. Everyone in the stadium knew who was getting the ball. The question was would somebody on the LSW defense step up and make a play.

The Indians elected to run Kysra to the right side. The LSW DL got a great push and the line of scrimmage was moved back into the running lanes of Kysra. Senior middle LB Jordan Garrett read the play immediately from his MLB position and blitzed through an opening on the right side of the Indians line through an attempted block by the fullback and stopped Kyrsa’s forward progress. The rest of the LSW defense swarmed onto Kysra forcing a Fort Osage field goal.

I have known Jordan and his parents (Jim and Barbara) since Jordan was on a baseball team that I managed. His fun and positive personality masks an inner driven will to win. Jordan has been tasked with stepping up his game since All State Missouri recruit Adam Burton was unavailable for the first four games of the season. Jordan made a play when his team needed a play to be made.

The Titans played their own adaptation of grind it out football after the kickoff. The Titans began a 17 play drive that consumed 9:25 on the 2nd quarter clock. On the seven yard, line of the Indians poised to score QB BJ Jackson made his only slip-up of the night. Defensive back E.J. Gaines stepped in front of a BJ pass for an interception on the 2-yard line to end the drive.

At the half, the scoreboard showed the Titans leading 7-3. However, much like our politicians at election time on occasion the scoreboard and the stats do not tell the complete truth.

The LSW Titans spread offense can wreck havoc on a good defensive coach’s finest game plan. Fort Osage had a first-class defensive game plan coming into the game. It worked like a charm. Playing on the rain slickened old generation astro turf may have given the offenses an advantage because they know where the play is going. The LSW defense could not get solid footing to push off the line because of the surface conditions of the field.

The Titans came out in the second half with a more traditional I-Back and split back formation offense. As Coach Boehm explained, “They were dropping 3 DB’s back and keeping us from doing what we wanted to do so we decided to go with these offensive formations to give us a better chance to be successful”.

The first two Titans possessions in the 3rd quarter did not yield any scores despite moving the ball well including a 52 yard run by LSW and a gutsy fourth and two call to go for it deep in the Indians territory by Coach Boehm.

The Lees Summit West defense had held last years Missouri state semi-finalist Fort Osage team to 3 points. The LSW defense has three Div. 1 prospects and a lot of talent and pride. Getting the ball run on them like the Indians did in the first half has to have been unsettling despite the scoreboard.

Going in at halftime Coach Boehm decided to make some adjustments. “We tried some different formations, slants and personnel grouping to attack their offense in the 2nd half” said Coach Boehm. The LSW defense stiffened. The first two possession of the Indians offense resulted in no first downs. The defense was stepping up the caliber of their play.

Now that the Titans had brought the Indians defense closer to the line of scrimmage, they switched back to their normal spread offense. The LSW offense excels when it allows its players to play in open space.

At the start of the 4th quarter, the pocket broke down for Titans QB BJ Jackson and he had to scramble away from the Fort Osage defenders. Instead of just tucking and running the ball, BJ had his head up and looking downfield for an opportunity to make a play. As he ran away from the Indians defenders, just before he was to cross the line of scrimmage he spotted Alec Hall all alone down by the goal line and no defenders within 20 yards of him. The Indians secondary had broken off their coverage and come up to make a tackle on BJ. BJ threw a strike to Alec and he practically walked into the end zone.

The Indians are the #10 ranked team in the state for a reason. They have some talent and are a well-coached team. Fort Osage was not going to go down as painless as Truman did last week against the Titans. The Fort Osage offense progressively put together a 10-play drive down the field to reach a 3rd and goal situation.

A pass play was called. QB Edward Pearl was driven out of the pocket by the fierce pass rush of All State DL Brooks Moiser. Brooks pursued the speedy Pearl towards the sideline. Just as Pearl was running out of real estate and Brooks was tackling him, Pearl was somehow able to get the ball out and to his receivers’ hands in the end zone. The offense completed a two-point conversion to make it a 14-11 game.

With 7:16 left in the 4th quarter, the Titans did not panic and executed the plays that were called by the coaches to perfection. This resulted in a 28-yard swing pass for a TD to Jordan Wade from BJ. Putting the Titans up to stay at 21-11.

Halftime adjustments made by Coach Boehm and his staff changed the momentum of the game and ultimately led to the Titan victory. Our local professional team has not discovered that major half time adjustments are occasionally necessary to put your team in a position to win the game. Maybe Coach Boehm should give some lessons on half time adjustments over at One Arrowhead Drive.

In some ways, it was an ugly game dominated by a battle in the trenches. There were brilliant plays made by both teams’ skill players. Bryant Jackson played brilliantly. BJ finished 13-15 for 195 yards and three touchdowns. He also added another 66 yards on the ground. There were several high leaping catches from the wide outs and tremendous effort on punt and kick off returns. However, on this day it was the DL and the OL of the Titans that prevailed and won the game.

POND_OF_RED
09-13-2008, 02:29 PM

Good work boys!

Hell yes. They put the wrong game on ESPN. Blue Springs-Rockhurst will always be the best high school rivalry in the city IMO. Nothing better than the "we've got girls" cheer.

BigRedChief
09-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Hell yes. They put the wrong game on ESPN. Blue Springs-Rockhurst will always be the best high school rivalry in the city IMO. Nothing better than the "we've got girls" cheer.
I agree. From what I've seen of the two teams Blue Springs is a much better team than South. I think that South has a reputation it doesn't deserve and that Blue Springs has a "down year" reputation that it doesn't deserve.

ChiefsCountry
09-13-2008, 02:51 PM

ESPN just wanted to pimp the two quarterbacks, they didnt give a damn about the game.

PastorMikH
09-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Did you guys and gals know that if your 16/17 year old gets in an car accident that they lose their elgibility to participate in <ST1:p<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Missouri</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">High School </st1:PlaceType></ST1:psports. We are not talking about drug or alchohol involvement only. Your son or daughter backs out of a parking space and into someone they are at that moment considered suspended

Only after completion of all court appearances, community service, payment of fines etc will the elgibility be restored. <O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

That could be like 6 months. You know what the chances of a 16 year old being involved in a wreck with in their first year of driving? 90%.

<O:p</O:pI’m all for holding student/athletes to a higher conduct code than Joe Average student but this is insane. <O:p</O:p

Sounds way ridiculous to me. So, I could basically take out the opposing team's star player two days before we play them simply by getting in front of him while he is driving and slamming on my brakes?

I can understand drug and alchohol related, but for anything is over the top.

Sam Hall
09-13-2008, 05:24 PM
I agree. From what I've seen of the two teams Blue Springs is a much better team than South. I think that South has a reputation it doesn't deserve and that Blue Springs has a "down year" reputation that it doesn't deserve.

South's two-year run ended last year when Rockhurst beat them. They blew a golden chance for consecutive Class 6 state titles, something no team has accomplished. This year's team doesn't have the experience.

Not only that, but Blaine Dalton is about to graduate. I said last week that he is overrated. More and more people are noticing. People think he won't play at Mizzou. I don't know what Gary Pinkel sees in his passing ability. He makes bad decisions and his passes float. I noticed that last year, even when he had more talent around him.

Blue Springs and Rockhurst have reclaimed Class 6 supremacy. Some of Blue Springs' best players aren't seniors.

BigRedChief
09-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Metro Sports Super 25 Football Poll

After Week 3

by Shawn Beldin (shawn.beldin@twcable.com)

1. Blue Springs (3-0)
2. LS West (2-1)
3. Rockhurst (2-1)
4. Olathe East (2-0)
5. St. Thomas Aquinas (2-0)
6. Kearney (3-0)
7. Park Hill (2-1)
8. Olathe North (1-1)
9. Ray-Pec (3-0)
10. SM West (2-0)
11. Harrisonville (2-1)
12. BS South (1-2)
13. BV West (2-0)
14. Gardner-Edgerton (2-0)
15. Chillicothe (3-0)
16. Raytown South (3-0)
17. Olathe South (1-1)
18. Pleasant Hill (3-0)
19. Bonner Springs (2-0)
20. Fort Osage (1-2)
21. Oak Grove (3-0)
22. SMNW (1-1)
23. Liberty (2-1)
24. Lawrence (2-0)
25. O'Hara (2-1)
22. Bishop Miege (1-0)
23. Oak Grove (2-0)
24. Hickman MIlls (1-1)
25. Grain Valley (2-0)

BigRedChief
09-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Pretty cool to see a school entering its 5th year of exsistence be ranked above Rockhurst. I don't think Lee's Summit West is better than Rockhurst just yet. But for performance on the field, it did take a last mintue 2 point conversion to beat LSW at Blue Springs. Rockhurst got beat at home by Blue Springs.

I hope Blue Springs wins 6A state this year and LSW wins 5A state because we have a rematch scheduled for next year with Blue Springs except this time its at LSW.

BigRedChief
09-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Sounds way ridiculous to me. So, I could basically take out the opposing team's star player two days before we play them simply by getting in front of him while he is driving and slamming on my brakes?

I can understand drug and alchohol related, but for anything is over the top.
Yep, seems like it could happen that way. If they don't report it they lose a whole year of elgibility. And with the "Star" players you bet someone would inform the school district.

PastorMikH
09-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Yep, seems like it could happen that way. If they don't report it they lose a whole year of elgibility. And with the "Star" players you bet someone would inform the school district.

We have a bunch of screwy rules here this year, but nothing that bad. One of the big ones here that has everyone stirred up is students can only miss 10 days a year of class time for school related activities. In other words, if we have a game someplace where the kids have to leave at 2 pm to make the start, they are docked 1 day. For kids in multiple sports and musical programs it's sounding like it is going to present a real problem.