PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Kansas City Claims G Brian De La Puente and LB Erik Walden on Waivers

aturnis
08-31-2008, 12:47 PM
Kansas City Claims G Brian De La Puente and LB Erik Walden on Waivers (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/08/31/kansas_city_claims_g_brian_de_la_puente_and_lb_erik_walden_on_waivers/)

Kansas City Claims G Brian De La Puente and LB Erik Walden on Waivers
Aug 31, 2008, 1:29:03 PM

Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Sunday that the club claimed two players on waivers. The Chiefs claimed G Brian De La Puente on waivers from San Francisco and LB Erick Walden from Dallas. Per the NFL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement, those players will play under terms of their contracts with their previous clubs.

De La Puente (6-3, 306) (pronounced DAY-la-PWEN-tay) originally entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with San Francisco in 2008. He played in 26 games (16 starts) during his four-year collegiate career at California. He started all 13 games as a senior, earning honorable mention Pac 10 honors. The Los Angeles, California native earned first-team All-South Coast League honors as a senior at San Clemente High School in San Clemente, California.

Walden (6-2, 250) entered the NFL as a sixth-round pick (167th overall) of Dallas in 2008. A collegiate defensive end, Walden was a four-year letterwinner at Middle Tennessee State. He played in 44 games (34 starts), recording 152 tackles (108 solo), 40.0 tackles for loss, 22.5 sacks (-136.0 yards), four passes defensed, five forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and one interception. Walden saw action in 10 contests (nine starts) as a senior, recording 46 tackles (35 solo), 9.0 stops for loss and 2.0 sacks to earn first-team all-conference honors. He was named first-team all-state at Dublin High School in Dublin, Georgia.

SAUTO
08-31-2008, 12:48 PM
who are we cutting? when does that have to happen?

cdcox
08-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Print 'em.

cdcox
08-31-2008, 12:51 PM
who are we cutting? when does that have to happen?

Likely Tre Stallings and Nap Harris, the guys we kept that were deemed undesirable according to Gretz.

RustShack
08-31-2008, 12:52 PM
I bet we keep Harris...

milkman
08-31-2008, 01:03 PM
Walden and De la Puente have already been added to the depth chart.

Dacus and Barksdale have been removed.

CupidStunt
08-31-2008, 01:05 PM
Good cuts (i.e. not Savage, Price, etc.). Walden could be a good addition. Not so sure about some OL the Niners of all teams cut. Would've preferred a DE or WR.

blueballs
08-31-2008, 01:08 PM
barksdale will have to find another city
to get beaten up by metrosexuals in

aturnis
08-31-2008, 01:10 PM
Report: Pats cut 2006 second-round pick Jackson

The New England Patriots reportedly released wide receiver Chad Jackson on Sunday.

The Boston Globe reported Sunday that Jackson, a second-round (36th overall) pick out of Florida in 2006, was informed Sunday morning that he had been released. The 23-year-old survived Saturday's cuts to make the roster of 53, but the Pats apparently decided he was expendable by Sunday.

Jackson only has 13 receptions in two seasons with New England, all coming in 2006. He tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in the AFC championship game that season against the Indianapolis Colts. Jackson was beat out by Jabar Gaffney for the No. 3 receiver slot.

Worth a looksie?

Micjones
Jerome McDougle? Nah...
Derrick Pope? Nope...
Chad Jackson? Uh uh...

Let's sign two players who won't contribute to the football team.

aturnis
barksdale will have to find another city
to get beaten up by metrosexuals in

I think that was Brackenridge.

milkman
08-31-2008, 01:11 PM
I think that was Brackenridge.

Yep, that's who I should have said was removed.

Bwana
08-31-2008, 01:12 PM
:spock:

Reaper16
08-31-2008, 01:13 PM

The New England Patriots reportedly released wide receiver Chad Jackson on Sunday.

The Boston Globe reported Sunday that Jackson, a second-round (36th overall) pick out of Florida in 2006, was informed Sunday morning that he had been released. The 23-year-old survived Saturday's cuts to make the roster of 53, but the Pats apparently decided he was expendable by Sunday.

Jackson only has 13 receptions in two seasons with New England, all coming in 2006. He tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in the AFC championship game that season against the Indianapolis Colts. Jackson was beat out by Jabar Gaffney for the No. 3 receiver slot.

Worth a looksie?
Jesus... remember when mock drafts had Jackson going to us in the 1st back in '06?

CupidStunt
08-31-2008, 01:15 PM
Jerome McDougle? Nah...
Derrick Pope? Nope...
Chad Jackson? Uh uh...

You're just upset that they didn't sign name players.

I'd like them to take a look at Jackson, but Pope and McDougle are complete scrubs. I'd rather see what Walden -- a sixth-round pick this year -- has.

philfree
08-31-2008, 01:16 PM
La Puente ....doesn't that mean The Pussy in Spanish?

PhilFree:arrow:

SAUTO
08-31-2008, 01:18 PM
WOULDNT THINK HARRIS would get cut for a rook who knows no schemes dacus sounds better, at least harris could contribute now

FAX
08-31-2008, 01:20 PM
Jerome McDougle? Nah...
Derrick Pope? Nope...
Chad Jackson? Uh uh...

No worries. We'll cut them tomorrow.

FAX

blueballs
08-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Dallas cut a 6th rounder from this year
Chiefs must of had him on their board

Reaper16
08-31-2008, 01:22 PM
WOULDNT THINK HARRIS would get cut for a rook who knows no schemes dacus sounds better, at least harris could contribute now
ROFL

SAUTO
08-31-2008, 01:23 PM
hey harris had over 100 tackles for us last year

Iowanian
08-31-2008, 01:25 PM
I like how some of you assume these guys are "scrubs" because you don't know about them....don't recognize their names.

There have been A LOT of big names cut....that ARE scrubs.

Joey Harrington was the erection causing agent not so many drafts ago....Cut.

DaKCMan AP
08-31-2008, 01:26 PM

Worth a looksie?

He was a stud coming out of school and a RS-sophomore, so he's obviously still young at 23.

SAUTO
08-31-2008, 01:27 PM
I like how some of you assume these guys are "scrubs" because you don't know about them....don't recognize their names.

There have been A LOT of big names cut....that ARE scrubs.

Joey Harrington was the erection causing agent not so many drafts ago....Cut.

i dont feel as though they are scrubs just as though a rookie who just got here wont contribute in week 1 whereas harris could

blueballs
08-31-2008, 01:27 PM
a joey harrington erection
would be one sad thing to have

DaneMcCloud
08-31-2008, 01:30 PM
De La Puente (6-3, 306) (pronounced DAY-la-PWEN-tay)

Doesn't anyone else find this hilarious that the Chiefs felt the need to phonetically spell his name?

ROFLROFLROFL

Iowanian
08-31-2008, 01:31 PM
The team only dresses 45 players anyway. Possibly they could contribute in special teams, while learning the system.

Its been no secret that the Chiefs needed help at offensive Guard, DE and LB. They've just picked up 2, and people are still bitching.

milkman
08-31-2008, 01:32 PM
Doesn't anyone else find this hilarious that the Chiefs felt the need to phonetically spell his name?

ROFLROFLROFL

Not really.

Archie Bunker
08-31-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm interested in seeing how the Chiefs use Walden. Seems like he is a classic DE/OLB hyprid that is a better fit in a 3-4.

aturnis
08-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Its been no secret that the Chiefs needed help at offensive Guard, DE and LB. They've just picked up 2, and people are still bitching.

eh uh uh.......don't forget about WR, need some help at WR!

aturnis
08-31-2008, 03:59 PM
I really hope the Chiefs can get Chad Jackson, he seems like he'd be a good possesion guy and he's returned kicks.

Mecca
08-31-2008, 04:00 PM
I don't think the Chiefs are interested in anyone we want them to be.

blueballs
08-31-2008, 04:02 PM
It's like trash day at The Oblongs

bigbucks24
08-31-2008, 04:08 PM
No worries. We'll cut them tomorrow.

FAX

ROFL

SBK
08-31-2008, 04:18 PM
Typically I would think it'd be better to go after guys who've never had a shot, as opposed to guys who've had a shot and whiffed right?

Reaper16
08-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Typically I would think it'd be better to go after guys who've never had a shot, as opposed to guys who've had a shot and whiffed right?
Depends on the context in which they "whiffed." Sometimes, guys get cut because of established players in front of them, or because their skillset doesn't fit within a 3-4 scheme or whatever.

Cosmos
08-31-2008, 05:02 PM
MacDoogle signed for a mil $.

That twice as much as Clark wants to pay.

rtmike
08-31-2008, 05:22 PM
"Cowboys fans who have followed training camp closely will be surprised to see linebacker Erik Walden on the cutdown list. I'm told that a couple of folks at Valley Ranch were fighting for Walden, but the Cowboys decided to keep two extra cornerbacks, Evan Oglesby and Alan Ball, instead."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation?tag=roster%20cuts

Surprised to see the 'boys load up on CB's. I thought they drafted one early plus all the other veterans they already had.

Micjones
08-31-2008, 05:33 PM
I don't think the Chiefs are interested in anyone we want them to be.

That's what's so utterly maddening about this administration.
Jerome McDougle is no world beater... He's never lived up to expectations in Philadelphia, but if he's good enough to play for the World Champion Giants...Surely he's good enough to come here. We have Turk McBride, Tamba Hali and who?

Rain Man
08-31-2008, 05:44 PM
"Brian Of The Punt?" No wonder Herm likes him.

BigRock
08-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Jerome McDougle is no world beater... He's never lived up to expectations in Philadelphia, but if he's good enough to play for the World Champion Giants...Surely he's good enough to come here.

If he has a chance to play for the World Champion Giants, why would he WANT to come here?

evolve27
08-31-2008, 06:18 PM
Jerome McDougle? Nah...
Derrick Pope? Nope...
Chad Jackson? Uh uh...

:clap:

aturnis
08-31-2008, 06:25 PM
Depends on the context in which they "whiffed." Sometimes, guys get cut because of established players in front of them, or because their skillset doesn't fit within a 3-4 scheme or whatever.

I think that would fall under, "never got a shot".

sorry.

Hammock Parties
08-31-2008, 06:27 PM
Not my boy Brack! :(

Uncle_Ted
08-31-2008, 06:29 PM
Looks like we let go fo Brackenridge and Dacus. They are not on the roster and the 2 new guys are.

blueballs
08-31-2008, 07:43 PM
espn
Both Denver and Kansas City put waiver clams on offensive lineman Andy Alleman, who was cut by New Orleans. He was awarded to Miami. When there are multiple waiver claims the team with the worst record gets the player. Since Miami was 1-15 last season it gets any player it wants these days.

Bearcat2005
08-31-2008, 08:04 PM

Worth a looksie?

Oh yea bring him in.

el borracho
08-31-2008, 08:55 PM
PSA:
"Puente" means "bridge."
"De la Puente" means "of the bridge."

We now return you to your regurlarly scheduled shenanigans.

el borracho
08-31-2008, 08:57 PM
Miami continues its emphasis on the lines this year. I'm very curious what their record will be this season.

FAX
08-31-2008, 09:58 PM
Miami continues its emphasis on the lines this year. I'm very curious what their record will be this season.

It's smart. If their plan is to build from the inside out, that is. Sometimes I wish we were doing more of that.

FAX

FAX
08-31-2008, 09:59 PM
Where is that confounded puente?

FAX

boogblaster
08-31-2008, 10:33 PM
Bridge over the River AFC ....

T-post Tom
08-31-2008, 10:37 PM
That's what's so utterly maddening about this administration.
Jerome McDougle is no world beater... He's never lived up to expectations in Philadelphia, but if he's good enough to play for the World Champion Giants...Surely he's good enough to come here. We have Turk McBride, Tamba Hali and who?

Kawika was good enuff for the giants too... for a season anyway.

RustShack
09-01-2008, 12:59 AM
It's smart. If their plan is to build from the inside out, that is. Sometimes I wish we were doing more of that.

FAX

Have you see our Dline? All our starters were drafted by us in the last coule years... We haven't paid as much attention to the Oline, but more than we have in previous years.

Frankie
09-01-2008, 09:05 AM
a joey harrington erection
would be one sad thing to have

Carl was in love with him and allegedly would have drafted him if Detroit hadn't snapped him up before our turn. The guy would probably still be on our roster with an LJ type contract.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-01-2008, 09:10 AM
If he has a chance to play for the World Champion Giants, why would he WANT to come here?

Bingo!!

xiandude
09-01-2008, 10:03 AM
This is from Scout's blog:
Speed was not a concern, it was actually the only thing that got him drafted. I am sure we had him ear marked for the practice squad but KC swiped before we could. developmental player. Better fit in KC with their youth and different expectations.

Walden is fast and strong, but a little undersized and needs some fine tuning. He'll probably make a good strongside OLB in a blitzing 4-3 scheme/a nickel DE in a Tampa 2 like Kansas City.

xiandude
09-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Some info from Scout:
He filled in for Jennings after an injury and performed pretty well in my opinion. Other than that didnt get a much of a chance. Seems like a serviceable lineman though. I thought he had a chance. He was a highly regarded lineman on Cal's great o-line that allowed a record low 11 sacks for the year and produced 1500 yards rushing and was named most improved offensive lineman for the year. I was hoping he might make the practice squad.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From what I saw of him in the last two games he is good. He holds his ground well in pass protection and can move his man in the run game. Also he can get to the second level and find people in space. Most of the people I know were hoping we could stash him on the PS and see if he could push for a roster/starting spot next year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
he played well this preseason, looks like he could be a solid backup with some work. was hoping we could sneak him onto the PS, guess not though.

Amkus203
09-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Before De La Puente was released from the 49ers, he saw a lot of action in their game at Chicago. I watched the whole game and kept an eye on him because I remember hearing about him when he was at Cal. For a rookie he did awesome holding off 2 veteran All-Pro Defensive linemen, he even dropped Brian Urlacher once on a blitz. This guy can be a contributor right away, and is a potential starter.....wait and see.

Mr. Laz
09-02-2008, 10:34 AM
if we claimed him off of waivers he wouldn't have a choice

DaKCMan AP
09-02-2008, 10:52 AM
if we claimed him off of waivers he wouldn't have a choice

No one was going to claim a 1st round bust's contract.

Micjones
09-02-2008, 11:02 AM
No one was going to claim a 1st round bust's contract.

We wouldn't have had to assume his contract though would we?

RustShack
09-02-2008, 02:36 PM
We wouldn't have had to assume his contract though would we?

If you claim a player off waivers you take his current contract... I'm pretty sure he wasn't placed on waivers though because hes been in the NFL long enough so he was a free agent, meaning he could choose whatever team he wanted. When your placed on waivers teams have to put in claims and the player is awarded to the team that had the higher draft pick(worse record).

Hammock Parties
09-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Some info from Scout:

HAIL TO THE KING, BABY!

Buehler445
09-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Before De La Puente was released from the 49ers, he saw a lot of action in their game at Chicago. I watched the whole game and kept an eye on him because I remember hearing about him when he was at Cal. For a rookie he did awesome holding off 2 veteran All-Pro Defensive linemen, he even dropped Brian Urlacher once on a blitz. This guy can be a contributor right away, and is a potential starter.....wait and see.

Welcome to the Planet.

Iowanian
09-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Welcome to the planet, Mrs La Puente. I hope your boy is very successful.