PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Rookie Branden Albert is healthy and may play Sunday

Tribal Warfare
09-01-2008, 12:03 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/776268.htm

Rookie Branden Albert is healthy and may play Sunday
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Two days after cutting their roster to 53 players, the Chiefs begin a new phase today in their rebuilding effort: Week one of the regular season. That phase might begin with one of the most important pieces intact.

Rookie left tackle Branden Albert is healthy enough at least to return to practice this week. After missing more than four weeks because of a sprained foot, Albert might even play Sunday when the Chiefs begin the regular season at New England.

“Not ruling him out at all,” Herm Edwards said. “Not one bit.”

The Chiefs are being careful with Albert and the injury he suffered July 31. It forced the 6-foot-5, 316-pounder to miss all but five days of the preseason, and he initially needed crutches and a walking boot to get around. Last week, he did light calisthenics and is expected to return full-speed when the Chiefs resume practice Wednesday.

Albert was in uniform during the Chiefs’ preseason finale, a 21-17 win this past Thursday against St. Louis. But Albert didn’t play, and Edwards said that never was the plan. It was to ease Albert’s mind and body into game mode, which for Albert included warm-ups and adjusting to the Chiefs’ pregame routine.

Edwards said veteran guard Brian Waters asked the coach Thursday why Albert was in uniform but wouldn’t play. Waters was Albert’s training-camp roommate and has taken an active interest in Albert’s progress. Edwards told Waters it wouldn’t have been fair to plug Albert into the starting lineup against the Patriots if he’d never even warmed up with his teammates.

“It would be awful to take him up to New England and it’s the first time he ever stepped on the field,” Edwards said. “We just took him through that. He’s a rookie, but if you’ve never put on pads in a real game and the first time you show up is in New England, that’s a lot.”

Yes, Edwards realizes Sunday might be a bit much for the rookie. The Patriots went 16-0 in last year’s regular season and went to the Super Bowl. It would be Albert’s first NFL game, and it also would be his first game as a tackle. Albert played guard at Virginia, and the Chiefs told him two days after drafting him No. 15 overall that he’d shift to left tackle, the position charged with protecting quarterback Brodie Croyle’s blind side and, in a sense, the offense’s most important player.

Now that rookie is staring at a first game in which the result counts, and here’s the defensive end you’re blocking, kid: five-time Pro Bowler Richard Seymour.

Even with all that, the Chiefs think Albert can handle this week, and the rest of what they’ll ask of him.

“If my biggest worry was how Branden Albert was going to play at left tackle,” coordinator Chan Gailey said, “I would sleep very well at night.”

If the Chiefs lose sleep over anything, it might be the idea Albert could be injury prone. He suffered an ankle injury near the end of offseason practice before spraining his foot in July. Since Kansas City drafted him in late April, Albert has missed more than five of the Chiefs’ eight weeks of organized practice, an absence Edwards has said will stunt Albert’s growth regardless of his talent.

And any further absences might cause the Chiefs to worry their second of two first-round picks might have a noticeable weakness.

For now, the Chiefs are looking forward to the present and hoping the future includes few of the injuries of Albert’s past. He is healthy now, and that’s all they’ll say matters. That is, until Sunday, when all that potential gets its first big test.

“He needs to get his heart pumping,” Edwards said.

•CHIEFS ADD TWO PLAYERS: The Chiefs claimed two players waived this weekend in an effort to strengthen a pair of thin positions.

Kansas City claimed guard Brian De La Puente, a rookie free agent waived Saturday by San Francisco. The Chiefs also added linebacker Erik Walden, who was Dallas’ sixth-round pick and was cut this past weekend. Walden also played defensive end for four years at Middle Tennessee State.

To make room for the two players, the Chiefs will either release cornerback Tyron Brackenridge or move him to the injured list.

The Chiefs waived linebacker Weston Dacus, a rookie free agent who started the Miami game, although the Chiefs would add Dacus to their practice squad if he clears waivers.

The Chiefs retained eight offensive linemen, but most were natural tackles. Linebacker has been one of the team’s thinnest positions during the preseason, mostly because of injuries to Donnie Edwards, Napoleon Harris and Demorrio Williams.

blueballs
09-01-2008, 12:07 AM
some teams have already named their PS players

KCFalcon59
09-01-2008, 12:23 AM
"He’s a rookie, but if you’ve never put on pads in a real game and the first time you show up is in New England, that’s a lot.”

Herm, he's played football for years. I think he knows what it is like to put pads on and get ready for a game.

chiefs1111
09-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Well if he's healthy it would be awesome to see him play.

Hammock Parties
09-01-2008, 12:48 AM
That's rare praise from Gailey.

CosmicPal
09-01-2008, 12:52 AM
What's the rush? I thought it was a rebuilding year.

RustShack
09-01-2008, 12:53 AM
An OG that was cut by a team with a bad line, and a 3-4 LB... nice Carl.

Tribal Warfare
09-01-2008, 01:07 AM
What's the rush? I thought it was a rebuilding year.

I believe they are on the fence on whether to allow him to start( not to push him too hard against a pissed off NE Team), and if they are they should wait till the Raider game to unveil his talents.

CupidStunt
09-01-2008, 01:42 AM
An OG that was cut by a team with a bad line, and a 3-4 LB... nice Carl.

9ers fans are actually pretty pissed about it, and a LB is a LB. Walden actually has better size for a 4-3 SLB than a 3-4 rush 'backer.

kcxiv
09-01-2008, 03:01 AM
I wonder how much Albert will actually play. If he thinks he's ready, they should let him play.

CoMoChief
09-01-2008, 05:42 AM
If albert plays my cock is going to get really hard.

StcChief
09-01-2008, 06:29 AM
If albert plays my cock is going to get really hard.TMI

don't rush him and get him hurt, Faiders Homeopener is good enough

Pablo
09-01-2008, 06:41 AM
Yep, I'm all for holding Albert out as long as necessary. No rush needed. Not that I don't really want to see how he holds up against a quality DE and LB corps; but it's not worth agitating the injury any further.

Ultra Peanut
09-01-2008, 07:18 AM
He's probably going to get his ass kicked for a while, but we're not winning anything this year, anyways. Get him healthy, let him learn, and build for <strike>later</strike> the draft.

cdcox
09-01-2008, 07:46 AM
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Albert played guard at Virginia, and the Chiefs told him two days after drafting him No. 15 overall that he’d shift to left tackle, the position charged with protecting quarterback Brodie Croyle’s blind side and, in a sense, the offense’s most important player.

Only in KC could that line be written.

CoMoChief
09-01-2008, 07:48 AM

LT is the most important position on offense outside of the QB.

MGRS13
09-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Albert plays=blowout loss
Albert rides the pine=blowout loss
At least if he plays he'll start learning early how to lose. As long as Herms here he's gonna get a lot of lessons on this.

Chief Chief
09-01-2008, 10:25 AM
When Albert was first injured, it was announced that he might miss all of the preseason and could be ready for the first regular season game. Where has this writer been hiding? With Osama?

RustShack
09-01-2008, 10:31 AM

Are you serious?

cmh6476
09-01-2008, 10:32 AM
this thread is a makin me horny

Mr. Laz
09-01-2008, 11:00 AM
foot injuries are dicey ....... better to be cautious imo

xbarretx
09-01-2008, 11:48 AM
FWIW i saw Albert up at O.P. mall last night with Bowe. He was walking around fine. i hope he makes it for the NE game.

and yes im well aware that just b/c hes walking fine doesnt mean he can run, block and sustain pressure on his foot. however, thats why i said FWIW

Chiefshrink
09-01-2008, 12:38 PM
He'll see a few series later in the game,but he won't start. Seymour will school his ass several times welcoming him to the NFL and then they will take him out hoping his physical health and ego are OK. Here are to basketball players converting to football hoping they can toughen up in a hurry.

FAX
09-01-2008, 01:20 PM
If it's not swole, put him in.

FAX

milkman
09-01-2008, 08:17 PM
9ers fans are actually pretty pissed about it, and a LB is a LB. Walden actually has better size for a 4-3 SLB than a 3-4 rush 'backer.

Yep, I was looking around to see what I could find out about him when the Chiefs claimed him, and 9er fans really are up in arms about his release.

EDIT:But then Chiefs fans are up in arms about Sippio's release, so maybe it should be taken with a grain of salt.