PDA

View Full Version : Football Packers | Hodge released

recxjake
09-01-2008, 02:28 PM

aturnis
09-01-2008, 02:41 PM
I say look at him. He was a 3rd rounder. Was given a little playing time in '06. Hurt a knee and missed '07, had surgery on both knees, and had an impressive camp this year.

I knew he was on the bubble, but am surprised he was cut. The Pack must really have lots of LB depth.

pr_capone
09-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Packers | Hodge released
Mon, 1 Sep 2008 13:00:54 -0700

The Green Bay Packers have announced they have released LB Abdul Hodge.

Terrorist!!!!!

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6162/panicsq9.gif

Hoover
09-01-2008, 03:31 PM
I would love to see him in KC!

Iowanian
09-01-2008, 03:39 PM
I think anyone who watched him with the Hawkeyes would like to see what he's got after the knee injuries.

I can't imagine he's not an upgrade.

Frankie
09-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Terrorist!!!!!

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6162/panicsq9.gif

ROFL

Frankie
09-01-2008, 03:43 PM
I would love to see him in KC!

He's a Hawkeye. Other than that I wouldn't mind us taking a look.

Phobia
09-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Worth a flier. Too bad he's not from UCLA.

Skip Towne
09-01-2008, 03:52 PM
He's a Hawkeye. Other than that I wouldn't mind us taking a look.

What the hell's a Hawkeye?

aturnis
09-01-2008, 03:53 PM
It's a football machine.

Frankie
09-01-2008, 03:54 PM

Exactly.

Phobia
09-01-2008, 03:55 PM

It's a lot like a Jayhawk only way cooler.

Wilson8
09-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Some questions for people that know more about Hodge.

Does he play middle linebacker? Did he have an injury history before his recent knee problems? Why would the Green Bay Packers cut him? He had a good traing camp so are the Packers that deep at linebacker?

I assume that Napoleaon Harris would be the likely linebacker to be cut if Chief's doctors could give Hodge an ok.

So back to can he play the middle and can he stay healthy?

Iowanian
09-01-2008, 04:10 PM
He was a MLB and was behind Nick Barnett on the depth chart.

I couldn't tell you why he was cut.

chiefs1111
09-01-2008, 04:11 PM
i say work him out and if he looks healthy sign him cheap

aturnis
09-01-2008, 04:12 PM
He was a MLB and was behind Nick Barnett on the depth chart.

I couldn't tell you why he was cut.

From what I hear, it was b/c of the depth at the LB position.

Coach
09-01-2008, 04:13 PM
I think anyone who watched him with the Hawkeyes would like to see what he's got after the knee injuries.

I can't imagine he's not an upgrade.

I think he's a hell of a upgrade over Napoleon Harris, any way you want to slice it.

chiefs1111
09-01-2008, 04:16 PM
I think he's a hell of a upgrade over Napoleon Harris, any way you want to slice it.

I think just about anything would be an upgrade over Nap Harris

aturnis
09-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Desmond Bishop, a 6th round pick in '07, got a shot to backup Barnett when Hodge's injury kept him out last year. Looks like he made everything he could out of the opportunity, and started in place of Barnett against Tennessee.

Hodge was just too late coming back.

Wilson8
09-01-2008, 04:22 PM
From an article written when people thought Hodge had made the GB 2008 53 man roster -

The Packers’ newest position of strength is linebacker.

If there were any doubts about whether they should keep both Desmond Bishop and Abdul Hodge on their 53-man roster, the backup linebackers erased them in Thursday’s preseason finale against the Tennessee Titans at Lambeau Field.

Seeing extensive playing time with the No. 2 defense, which played all but the first series of the first half, Bishop and Hodge played fast, were around the ball and didn’t appear to make any serious assignment or alignment errors. Each made five tackles in the first half.

Bishop (who had four solo tackles and one assist) showed his versatility by playing the strong-side linebacker spot. Previously, the second-year pro had played almost exclusively at middle linebacker. But that’s where Hodge played throughout camp and again on Thursday.

Though Bishop came off the field in nickel situations, he held up well in coverage in the base defense.

Hodge (who had five solo stops) flew around and made several tackles. For a guy whose career appeared to be on the ropes after he missed all of last season with patellar tendinitis in both knees, the third-year pro has made a remarkable comeback. Like Bishop, Hodge also has become a mainstay on many of the special teams units this summer.

Bishop, Hodge and Tracy White came in after the Packers’ starters played just one series. They played the rest of the first half against Tennessee’s starting offense.

White held his own and given his importance on special teams, it seems like a virtual lock that the Packers will keep seven linebackers — Bishop, Hodge and White plus Thursday’s starting trio of Nick Barnett, Brandon Chillar and Brady Poppinga plus injured starter A.J. Hawk (who didn’t play against Tennessee).

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080828/PKR01/80828152/1058

Wilson8
09-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Looks like he can wrap up on a tackle. Abdul Hodge meets former MU and Chiefs TE, Dwayne Blakeley.

jspchief
09-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Hodge was a total stud in college. Awesome football smarts, and a great tackler.

That being said, I believe his biggest weakness may be his speed, which means he's not likely to be a candidate for a Cover 2 MLB.

I'd love to take a look, but I don't think he fits.

milkman
09-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Hodge was a total stud in college. Awesome football smarts, and a great tackler.

That being said, I believe his biggest weakness may be his speed, which means he's not likely to be a candidate for a Cover 2 MLB.

I'd love to take a look, but I don't think he fits.

I'd take a sure tackler who maintains his discipline and take my chances on his pass coverage ability.

Iowanian
09-01-2008, 08:12 PM
I'd take a sure tackler who maintains his discipline and take my chances on his pass coverage ability.

It seems to me if that was a huge problem, he'd be a 1-2nd down MLB and bring in a nickle package on known passing downs.

milkman
09-01-2008, 08:19 PM
It seems to me if that was a huge problem, he'd be a 1-2nd down MLB and bring in a nickle package on known passing downs.

Sounds like a solid plan to me.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Finally someone who would actually really be worth given a "look"

jjchieffan
09-02-2008, 12:11 AM

:D

mylittlepony
09-02-2008, 02:21 AM
Some questions for people that know more about Hodge.

Does he play middle linebacker? Did he have an injury history before his recent knee problems? Why would the Green Bay Packers cut him? He had a good traing camp so are the Packers that deep at linebacker?

I assume that Napoleaon Harris would be the likely linebacker to be cut if Chief's doctors could give Hodge an ok.

So back to can he play the middle and can he stay healthy?

Green bay is really deep and he was one of 3 people fighting for a spot. He doesnt contribute as much on special teams as the other 2 (according to the GB comentators). Green bay is REALLY deep at Linebacker. I saw all of GBs preseason games because I felt there would be a good linebacker cut there and I knew the chiefs needed one. Hodge is defenatly someone the chiefs need to bring in.

Mecca
09-02-2008, 03:07 AM
To add onto this, my friend who's a Cowboys fan told me Erik Walden did absolutely nothing all preseason.

booger
09-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Any word on Hodge being claimed by anyone?

Maybe teams are waiting for him to clear waivers and then work him out because of his knee's?

RJ
09-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Green bay is really deep and he was one of 3 people fighting for a spot. He doesnt contribute as much on special teams as the other 2 (according to the GB comentators). Green bay is REALLY deep at Linebacker. I saw all of GBs preseason games because I felt there would be a good linebacker cut there and I knew the chiefs needed one. Hodge is defenatly someone the chiefs need to bring in.

Are all the Packers games broadcast in Sweden?

The Franchise
09-02-2008, 05:28 PM
We probably won't even take a look at him....and he'll go to the Dolphins or Pats.

booger
09-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Bengals | Hodge signed to practice squad
Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:34:28 -0700

The Cincinnati Bengals have announced they have signed free-agent LB Abdul Hodge (Packers) to their practice squad.

Wish we would of signed him to our PS.

booger
09-16-2008, 06:54 PM
To add onto this, my friend who's a Cowboys fan told me Erik Walden did absolutely nothing all preseason.

That's nice.

Our special teams coverage units would look even worse if not for Walden who leads us with 5 tackles in two games. He is a plesent find who looks like he has taken a leadership role even as a rook.