PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz:Monday Update & Practice Squad

Tribal Warfare
09-01-2008, 02:50 PM
http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/monday-update-practice-squad.html

Monday Update & Practice Squad
September 1, 2008 - Bob Gretz |

The Chiefs had a short walk-thru practice on Monday and also went about meeting a couple new teammates and welcoming back some guys who were temporarily unemployed.

The team’s practice squad was not filled as of Monday, as the Chiefs continue to sift through the waiver wire and could bring in some young players who were released by other teams. That’s been their modus operandi for the last season or so.

But active rosters newbees G Brian De La Puente (top) and LB Erik Walden (bottom) were in the house and getting acquainted with their new teammates and coaches.

The Chiefs also released their first semi-official depth chart of the regular season and there were no surprises there from what they’ve shown in the last few weeks of the pre-season. Defensive line has McBride-Tyler-Dorsey-Hali from left to right. Donnie Edwards is listed as the starter at LOLB and Pat Surtain at LCB.

Offensively, the only change is Branden Albert at left tackle for Herb Taylor. The Chiefs expect Albert to take part in the heavy lifting of practice this week that begins on Wednesday. On Monday, however, Herm Edwards was not providing any injury information on any players. The only item he did reveal was that kick returner B.J. Sams was “running around out there” during the walk-thru.

The Chiefs early practice squad was seven players. They brought back G Edwin Harrison, DT Derek Lokey, WR Kevin McMahan and DE Jason Parker who were all with the team during training camp and the pre-season. They also have an extra spot with International developmental player LB Aden Durde. They added S Dowayne Davis (5-11, 202), a rookie who was with Dallas in the pre-season and he contributed six tackles. Davis is out of Syracuse University. They also signed to the practice squad WR Marques Hagans (5-9, 202), who played four games last year for the St. Louis Rams, catching eight passes for 101 yards and returning seven kickoffs for 18.6 yards. In the just concluded pre-season, Hagans had seven catches for 82 yards, including four catches for 47 yards last Thursday at Arrowhead against the Chiefs. He was a fifth-round draft choice of the Rams in the 2006 NFL Draft. Hagans actually played quarterback at the University of Virginia and in nine games last year for the Rams he was the team’s inactive third quarterback.

There are still two spots open on the practice squad (the Chiefs can carry nine because of the international player) and one of those spots should be filled by LB Wes Dacus, if he clears waivers.

BigVE
09-01-2008, 02:56 PM
So, did I understand this correctly? Albert is already penciled in as the starter and has only had a handful of practices?

keg in kc
09-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Man, that's a huge gamble to take.

FAX
09-01-2008, 03:15 PM
This practice squad thing (and the limit of 8 players) has fostered a thought.

What if ... and this is just an "if", mind you ... there was an UDFA player (P) who, for whatever reason, demonstrated a ton of potential talent that was just underdeveloped (U). Maybe player P needed to develop strength (S), or put on weight (Lbs), or fine-tune specific skills, or something. Whatever (W).

Then, you have a team (T) that is very interested in this player and would like to see them develop for the future (F), but the practice squad is full.

Then, you have an independent trainer guy (G) who knows how to consult with and develop young talent as represented by player P.

Then, you have an owner (O) with gobs of cash ($).

So, team T cuts player P who clears waivers (~), does not get signed because other teams don't see the potential, and player P is paid lots of money directly from owner O that is off team T's payroll (maybe he hires him as a gardener, or someting). Owner O also pays independent trainer guy G some money and player P and independent trainer guy G work together over the next year on player P's skills and physical development. The NFL wouldn't know and team T could, conceivably, get the benefit of player P's more developed skills down the road without having to take up a practice squad position.

Would that work?

FAX

BigVE
09-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Sure. (WTF)

picasso
09-01-2008, 03:21 PM
What is really stupid is they bring in WRs McMahan on the practice squad and Hagans from the Rams and don't blink an eye letting go a WR like Sippio that caught every TD pass in the endzone this preseason. Stupid bastards.

Marcellus
09-01-2008, 03:36 PM
What is really stupid is they bring in WRs McMahan on the practice squad and Hagans from the Rams and don't blink an eye letting go a WR like Sippio that caught every TD pass in the endzone this preseason. Stupid bastards.

If Sippio has any real skillz he will be picked up by another team. My bet is that doesn't happen and that should say a lot.

Hydrae
09-01-2008, 03:45 PM

With Sippio on the roster all year last year I don't think he is eligible for the practice squad this year.

Deberg_1990
09-01-2008, 03:52 PM

Why??

The Chiefs are not going to the playoffs this year. Everybody knows it. The Chiefs have a huge investment in Albert, so they might as well throw him to the wolves and put him to work. There is no substitute for actual game experience.

keg in kc
09-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Why??

The Chiefs are not going to the playoffs this year. Everybody knows it. The Chiefs have a huge investment in Albert, so they might as well throw him to the wolves and put him to work. There is no substitute for actual game experience.Sorry, I'm just not big on the whole 'baptism of fire' thing, at least not coming on the heels of an injury. He's been out all of camp, he hasn't been practicing and he hasn't had any contact. The smart move would be to work him in slowly, so you don't risk his health or his confidence.

I think they're asking for disaster.

Like you said, they're probably not going to the playoffs this year. So why rush it. Let him get his legs under him, work him into the lineup slowly over the next few weeks.

aturnis
09-01-2008, 04:10 PM
I don't think they'll rush him back...I'd hope Herm learned that lesson with Kennison last year.

chiefs1111
09-01-2008, 04:14 PM
I don't think they'll rush him back...I'd hope Herm learned that lesson with Kennison last year.

Herm learn a lesson??? Now that's funny

Mr. Laz
09-01-2008, 04:18 PM
not to mention hurting the running game and getting the QB killed if Albert isn't ready.

evolve27
09-01-2008, 04:19 PM
I say bring in Quinn Gray and cut Thigpen.

Chiefshrink
09-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Did DT T.J. Jackson make the squad? I watched the Rams game and granted he was going against 2nd and 3rd stringers but he looked pretty good always getting a good bull rush disrupting the play. How did he look with the other games?

aturnis
09-01-2008, 04:23 PM
He's on the 53.

Chiefshrink
09-01-2008, 04:28 PM
sweet I think he will be a good player definitely as a BU and who knows maybe a starter.

Chief Chief
09-01-2008, 04:36 PM
This practice squad thing (and the limit of 8 players) has fostered a thought.

What if ... and this is just an "if", mind you ... there was an UDFA player (P) who, for whatever reason, demonstrated a ton of potential talent that was just underdeveloped (U). Maybe player P needed to develop strength (S), or put on weight (Lbs), or fine-tune specific skills, or something. Whatever (W).

Then, you have a team (T) that is very interested in this player and would like to see them develop for the future (F), but the practice squad is full.

Then, you have an independent trainer guy (G) who knows how to consult with and develop young talent as represented by player P.

Then, you have an owner (O) with gobs of cash ($).

So, team T cuts player P who clears waivers (~), does not get signed because other teams don't see the potential, and player P is paid lots of money directly from owner O that is off team T's payroll (maybe he hires him as a gardener, or someting). Owner O also pays independent trainer guy G some money and player P and independent trainer guy G work together over the next year on player P's skills and physical development. The NFL wouldn't know and team T could, conceivably, get the benefit of player P's more developed skills down the road without having to take up a practice squad position.

Would that work?

FAX

DAMM, DUDE! Always stay away from the Alphabits cereal before posting.

Chief Chief
09-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Dear Bob Gretz,

Dowayne Davis...Dewayne Bowe...

FYI, they are not the same guy.

Learn and know the difference!

Regards,
Chief Chief

SAUTO
09-01-2008, 05:09 PM

QUNN gray looked HORRIBLE in the games i watched this preseason

boogblaster
09-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Hate seeing Sipp go ... Glad to see Jackson made it he gets the job done ....

old_geezer
09-01-2008, 06:15 PM

How many non-TD passes were caught in the end zone? :shrug:

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
09-01-2008, 06:24 PM
They added S Dowayne Davis (5-11, 202), a rookie who was with Dallas in the pre-season and he contributed six tackles. Davis is out of Syracuse University.

grob

Hammock Parties
09-01-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm trying to remember when Albert got hurt. They installed the entire offense after six practices. If it was before that he might be in more trouble.

milkman
09-01-2008, 08:07 PM

I'd rather bring in Matt Gutierrez than Quinn Gray.

aturnis
09-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Albert got hurt in the Minnesota scrimmage.

Hammock Parties
09-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Albert got hurt in the Minnesota scrimmage.

Yep. So in that case, the complete offense had been installed already. He's been doing plenty of mental reps while he's been out so he should be well versed in his assignments.

Smed1065
09-02-2008, 12:44 AM
Said starting, not ending the game......
I bet he starts but out before the 1st quarter ends.

KCJohnny
09-02-2008, 05:48 AM

I agree. it would be one thing if he was a college career OLT, but all his experience is at guard. Welcome to the NFL rookie. Try not to get Croyle killed on opening day, OK?