PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs WPI exclusive with Herm - Part I

Hammock Parties
09-01-2008, 07:59 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/785719.html

Over the weekend we sat down with Chiefs Head Coach Herm Edwards for an exclusive interview and talked about cuts, his quarterback, his new coaches and the upcoming season. In less than a week his team will travel to New England to face one of the top teams in the AFC. Can the Chiefs win? Are they ready for the 2008 season? What type of team will they be?

While sitting in Edwards’ new office, which oversees the new practice facility, it became apparent he was in pre-game mode. His office was clean, there were no papers around, and he calmly sat behind his desk.

With the Patriots looming on Sunday, Edwards’ coaching staff has been preparing the gameplan. It’s not the easiest of openers, but Edwards wouldn’t want it any other way.

He’s building his football team to go up against the best of the best in the NFL. If Edwards wants the Chiefs to be a playoff team and a championship team someday, then he has to look no further than what New England has done the last decade.

But there are people who don’t know what to expect out of the 2008 Chiefs. Edwards, however, knows he has skilled players, some of which are ready for primetime and some who will learn on the job.

“We’re less experienced, more athletic,” Edwards said of his 2008 squad. “That’s a doubled-edged sword. We’re playing a team that’s a veteran-laden team for the most part. Lots of guy that have played in a lot of games, a lot of playoff games, and won a lot of playoff games. They’re Super Bowl champions, so that’s what you’re dealing with, but I think our inexperience and our youthful exuberance is something you can’t quantify.”

Edwards is right because you never know what young players will accomplish. One thing is certain with this football team – it will have plenty of ups and downs. How the young players react to those situations will determine how many games they win.

“That’s what’s great about these guys,” said Edwards. “They have the ability to bounce back. They don’t know what they don’t know, and that’s a good thing. But this team is way more athletic than it’s ever been in the last two years. There are 19 players on this team with three years or less experience, and out of those 19 players from the last three drafts, 11 of them are starters. All of a sudden half your football team is your last three drafts. That’s good for us because that’s the direction we want to be in.”

Ultimately, Edwards and his team will be judged on wins and losses. He knows that better than anyone, and he’s not wavering in his belief that his players will be ready to play the Patriots this weekend.

“Now we have to get them to play well, and we’ve got to win with them,” said Edwards. “That’s the process of what you’re dealing with. I’m enjoying it, I think the players are enjoying it and it’s going to be, for us, a very exciting season.”

Exciting? For Edwards, yes, because he knows that for the first time in his tenure as KC’s head coach he a roster comprised of his players - rookies he drafted, lesser known free agents, and some wily veterans who still have game.

In order for all of that to mesh, Edwards had to put together the right combination of coaches this offseason. Despite the staff being smaller than the one Edwards had a year ago, it has a common theme.

“We’re more unified on how we want to play,” said Edwards. “That’s what you always have to recognize, how you want to play football as a team. Not segmented - how is the whole team going to play to help each other? We have a sense of that. I think the players have a sense of it too, how we’re going to play.”

“Team football is about protecting each other’s interests. When you go out on the field you understand there are some things you shouldn’t do because you put the other team - that’s about to get the ball or defend the ball or kick the ball off - in a bad predicament.”

How the Chiefs break out of those predicaments will be on the coaches, who make changes during the game. That’s one part of his staff Edwards likes, especially on the offensive side with Chan Gailey. He and the other coaches are flexible.

“I think Chan does a great job of adjusting,” said Edwards. “He’s a guy that can go in at halftime and say OK, here’s what they’re doing, here’s what we’re going to do. It’s an offense that’s simple enough where the players understand this is what we’ve got to do now. You can adjust as the game is being played.”

“These guys are starting to realize how we play and what it’s going to take for us to play and win. Our staff has done a great job of teaching. They’re good at making adjustments. That’s the first thing you learn. You’ve got to have a staff that can adjust.”

And teaching is key for this football team. The entire offseason, in talking to all the coaches on both sides of the ball, it was clear that the level of success for the 2008 Chiefs will be determined by what happens in the classroom.

One of the primary examples of that is quarterback Brodie Croyle (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698850), and the maturity he’s displayed thus far this preseason. Though he’s yet to throw a touchdown pass, the Chiefs are prepared to give him complete control over the offense all year. There isn’t any doubt in the coaching staff’s mind that they have their future quarterback ready, and Edwards knows the role Croyle has on his team.

“You always wonder every week in this quarterback-driven league, of what the quarterback does,” said Edwards. “If he throws touchdown passes, everyone’s excited. For us, and for a lot of teams, it’s not what he does so far as his personal stats, it’s how he orchestrates what we’re asking him to do that week against that team.”

And what will the Chiefs ask Croyle to do? According to Edwards, it won’t involve four touchdowns in one game or 40 passes. It’s simply whatever’s necessary to win that week. All Croyle has to do is control the game, manage it and good things will happen.

“Brodie’s a quarterback, in my opinion, a very young quarterback, and what he’s got to learn is don’t lose the game,” said Edwards. “Don’t do things to lose the game, and that’s what all young guys have to come to grip with. They all want to win the game, but don’t lose it, and if you do that we’ve got a great chance to win.”

Tomorrow – Part II - We talk with Edwards about his defense, special teams and the New England Patriots.

rad
09-01-2008, 08:05 PM
“Don’t do things to lose the game, and that’s what all young guys have to come to grip with. They all want to win the game, but don’t lose it, and if you do that we’ve got a great chance to win.”

What a loser philosophy...

Rausch
09-01-2008, 08:10 PM
“Don’t do things to lose the game, and that’s what all young guys have to come to grip with. They all want to win the game, but don’t lose it, and if you do that we’ve got a great chance to win.”

What a loser philosophy...

Right, because all QB's come out young and ready to fire away like Manning...

Hammock Parties
09-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Here's Part II.

http://kan.scout.com/2/786148.html

<table><tbody><tr><td valign="top">Yesterday Herm Edwards talked about his offseason plan, quarterback Brodie Croyle, and his new coaching staff. Today we conclude our exclusive as Edwards discusses his defense and facing New England on Sunday.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
Edwards spent a lot of time making changes to his offense this offseason, adding a handful of new coaches and new players, not to mention making Croyle his unquestioned starting quarterback. But his passion remains on the defensive side of the football, as he attempts to turn the Chiefs into perennial division winners.

Will that happen this season? If it does, it will be the defense that carries this football team. But Edwards has to deal with the fact the entire unit is younger and is now missing one of its premier players from a year ago, defensive end Jared Allen (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3716719). Who will replace him? Edwards does not know.

“They just need to be who they are and that’s all you can ever ask players to be,” he said. “Their career will be defined on how they play. The great thing about them is that they’re going to play.”

Youth will be the pulse of the defense this year, as KC’s starting defensive line consists of second-year linemen Turk McBride (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698864) and Tank Tyler, rookie Glenn Dorsey (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3722647), and third-year defensive end Tamba Hali (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698856).

No, none of them are Allen. But Edwards still likes the group he has assembled up front.

“They’re all guys we drafted, guys we feel are good football players,” he said. “Tamba Hali being the first out of that class as an end, we moved him to the right side. There’ll be a lot of talk about how many sacks he’s going to get, but this is about winning.”

“I always tell players you can have a great season as a player, and you can go to the Pro Bowl, but if you don’t win…when you get over there and all those other guys are talking about playoffs and Super Bowls, you really start reflecting. That’s the deal.”

“You can’t lose sight of that. Sometimes when you receive those accolades and the team doesn’t win, it’s OK, but this is a team thing. To me it’s how a player makes other players live up to their expectations and talent. How many players do you bring along with you? That’s the key.”

Edwards knows there is pressure on his defense because that side of the ball is ahead of the offense, and of course defense is the cornerstone of any championship team. Still, he’s riding his upfront muscle on four guys that have to prove they can do it at the NFL level.

“I just think these young guys are going to have an opportunity to play,” said Edwards. “How they play, we’ll find out. It’s about consistency more than anything else and it’s about winning. Can they play at a level that will give us a chance to win? That’s the most important thing.”

“Every guy is different. Some guys you go wow, he really developed to be this guy. And then once you find out you have to coach them to where you know how they’ll react. Then you get the best out of them and that’s all you can do.”

But that’s only two thirds of the plan for Edwards, who had to make sure when he put together his final roster that he had enough quality players to contribute on special teams. That was one of the reasons he kept five running backs when the roster was cut down to 53 players last week.

“It always bothers me when you tell players that if they’re good players, they’ll make the team,” said Edwards. “Well all of a sudden you’ve got an over abundance of players in one group and then you look at these other groups and think you have to keep this number of guys. Who says so?”

Edwards doesn’t share that philosophy, because in his mind you can never have enough good football players.

“You keep the best players,” he said. “Some people look at that and say you can’t keep five running backs. Why not? If those five running backs are better than the eighth and the ninth guy at another position, then why not? It doesn’t make sense not to. You keep the best players because they’ll find a way to play, and then you have a bargaining chip. You have strength at one position.”

“If you keep another guy and let one of these guys go, you really weaken yourself. The guy you kept, you think you eventually want to get rid of him, but you just got rid of a good football player. You don’t do that.”

And that’s what is so refreshing about Herm’s bunch in 2008. In years past the Chiefs have not always kept the best football players, but long-term, Edwards is trying to build a winning program. If you don’t keep the best players, what kind of message does that send to your football team?

“The more we do that,” said Edwards, “the better off we’re going to be in the long run.”

That run begins Sunday at New England, where nobody is giving the Chiefs a chance to win. Edwards is realistic about his team’s chances, but realizes this weekend is just one of 16 games on the schedule. He’s focusing on that, and is not distracted by the fact his team has one of the most difficult season openers in the entire NFL.

“You can’t get caught up in all the distraction and the hoopla, and that’s every week in the NFL,” said Edwards. “My job is to prepare the team and the coaching staff to have a plan everyone is comfortable with and believes in.”

“I don’t get caught up in all that other stuff. I don’t read it, I don’t listen to it. That’s what other people do for a living. What I do for a living is try to prepare this team and make them focused.”

And if the Chiefs win?

“If we should win this game, I would hope that people will understand that’s what we prepared to do," said Edwards. "But then it’s over. We’re not going to sit and talk about that game. If you don’t do it that way then you’re really cheating your football team.”
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <script> var premiumFlag = 0; </script> <!--end STORY DISPLAY-->

boogblaster
09-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Herm is what we have ... Prayer brothers prayer ....

ElGringo
09-02-2008, 08:49 PM
I haven't seen this yet, but I can only one thing as I keep reading how young our players are going against the Pats. Ignorance is bliss. A team full of vets would be going into this knowing how they were going to get beat. With this team, I think the players may honestly believe they have a chance. That only serves to help, and aids the true homers like me to believe we may pull out the miracle win. I don't think anyone expects it, but in the back of minds like mine, we are going to win this game.

FringeNC
09-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Right, because all QB's come out young and ready to fire away like Manning...

How is Croyle ever going to develop if all Herm tells him to do is not lose the game?

Phobia
09-02-2008, 09:10 PM
I got to the second paragraph before I had to quit. "HEY LOOK, I WAS IN HERM'S OFFICE" is what I read - maybe it's just me.

Plus, the office is not overseeing the practice facility, it's overlooking. An average editor might have caught that.

RibKing67
09-02-2008, 09:14 PM
I haven't seen this yet, but I can only one thing as I keep reading how young our players are going against the Pats. Ignorance is bliss. A team full of vets would be going into this knowing how they were going to get beat. With this team, I think the players may honestly believe they have a chance. That only serves to help, and aids the true homers like me to believe we may pull out the miracle win. I don't think anyone expects it, but in the back of minds like mine, we are going to win this game.

Although I am a true homer like you, I do not think, after watching the Pats and the Chiefs preseason games this year, that a win is out of the question.
If we can get our running game going look out.

To many losses at key positions for the Pats and the fact that it looks like they got real old real fast gives me the feeling that we are gonna do this.

HolyHandgernade
09-02-2008, 09:39 PM
How is Croyle ever going to develop if all Herm tells him to do is not lose the game?

This sounds like someone who has never had to teach someone else how to do something that requires a great amount of skill.

You have to teach basics first, get the person comfortable with a particular standard they can fall back on. Once they have mastered this, then you let them venture out a bit, test themselves, so they can find out wht really works and what doesn't. Then you push themto increase the speed of their production without sacrificing the quality of their work. I don't care what you are teaching someone else, if you don't set them up with a good foundation (in the case of QB, that's game management), then asking them to do that AND win the game via their own talent, you are setting both the player and the team for long term disappointment.

Of course, you have to have some type of time frame in which you can reasonably expect to see those developments, but asking someone who's developing to do more than their skill set can accomplish is a recepie for disaster.

-HH

Skip Towne
09-02-2008, 09:48 PM
That he wastes his time talking to the likes of WPI says a lot about Herm Edwards.

Tribal Warfare
09-02-2008, 09:50 PM
This sounds like someone who has never had to teach someone else how to do something that requires a great amount of skill.

True, but you must know ones strengths and weakness to teach that person too, and if your driving him to do things that could hinder their development. Like tailoring his abilities to your own style if Brodie can throw the long ball then you let him air it out. It'sa teachers obligation to harness that and show him when to do that and when not to. Concerning progressions the coaches must tell him not to worry about the long ball if it isn't their, but don't be afraid of it either.

Chiefnj2
09-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Same old Herm. Play not to lose. And this quote reminds me of the infamous Eric Hicks quote about being a great player because he knows how to handle three straight losses:

“That’s what’s great about these guys,” said Edwards. “They have the ability to bounce back. They don’t know what they don’t know, and that’s a good thing."

Now we have a team of Hicks'. They don't know Herm sucks yet, and that's a good thing.

HolyHandgernade
09-02-2008, 10:53 PM
True, but you must know ones strengths and weakness to teach that person too, and if your driving him to do things that could hinder their development. Like tailoring his abilities to your own style if Brodie can throw the long ball then you let him air it out. It'sa teachers obligation to harness that and show him when to do that and when not to. Concerning progressions the coaches must tell him not to worry about the long ball if it isn't their, but don't be afraid of it either.

Well, I think you teach a good grounding that allows for the person to accentuate their skills within the framework. All the great physical abilities will mean squat if you keep asking a player to make judgement calls from a well of little experience. A strong arm does not necessarily translate into experience of digesting the pass rush and the progression of your options.

I can only speak from my experience in these manners. First, you walk the student through, so they get a feel for how it ought to run. Then you let them go to a point until the complexity begins to overwhelm and you take over for them. Then you progress to a point where you can simply bring potential complexities to their attention, and allow them to solve them . Finally, you should be able to watch them and not have to step in. At this point they are competent "managers". Its from this level of competency they then begin to apply their individual talents into calculated risk taking to increase efficiency. But without that, there's no calculation because they haven't enough experiece to draw on, so its just risky as opposed to calculated risk.

-HH

Tribal Warfare
09-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Well, I think you teach a good grounding that allows for the person to accentuate their skills within the framework. All the great physical abilities will mean squat if you keep asking a player to make judgement calls from a well of little experience. A strong arm does not necessarily translate into experience of digesting the pass rush and the progression of your options.

I can only speak from my experience in these manners. First, you walk the student through, so they get a feel for how it ought to run. Then you let them go to a point until the complexity begins to overwhelm and you take over for them. Then you progress to a point where you can simply bring potential complexities to their attention, and allow them to solve them . Finally, you should be able to watch them and not have to step in. At this point they are competent "managers". Its from this level of competency they then begin to apply their individual talents into calculated risk taking to increase efficiency. But without that, there's no calculation because they haven't enough experiece to draw on, so its just risky as opposed to calculated risk.

-HH

I concur basics are the foundation, and one must learn intricacies of the game and execute. The reason why I bring this up is due to Joe Montana and Brett Favre both played in the west coast offense, and they have different skill sets. Montana was steel cut precise and calculating and quick on his feet , but Farve has/had a big gun and and likes to go for the "homerun" pass.
They both ran the very same offense, and basics are very necessary, but each student is very different when it comes to natural skill sets. One has to nuture to their strengths that fits the offense.

Basileus777
09-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Although I am a true homer like you, I do not think, after watching the Pats and the Chiefs preseason games this year, that a win is out of the question.
If we can get our running game going look out.

To many losses at key positions for the Pats and the fact that it looks like they got real old real fast gives me the feeling that we are gonna do this.

Matt Cassell isn't playing.....