PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs feel good about themselves as they head into opener

Tribal Warfare
09-01-2008, 10:24 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/777315.html

Chiefs feel good about themselves as they head into opener
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

With 15 rookies on their opening-day roster, the Chiefs are a team in need of years. They might prefer to turn the calendar to 2009 or 2010, when Glenn Dorsey, Branden Albert, Brandon Flowers and their many other young players have the wisdom that only playing experience can bring.

They are not, unlike at this point in each of the last two seasons, a team in need of days and weeks. While their 2-2 preseason was not as successful as they hoped, neither was it as disjointed as it was in either of the two other seasons under Herm Edwards.

Then, the Chiefs entered the regular season a team in need of more preparation time. They didn’t get it and were clobbered in their season opener two years ago by Cincinnati and last year by Houston.

They’ve had easier opening-day assignments than this, having to go to New England to play the defending AFC champion Patriots. But, the quality of their opponent notwithstanding, they feel better able to get off to a quick start.

“We definitely don’t need any more time,” safety Jarrad Page said. “We’ve got everything in place. I can’t speak for the offense, but for the defense, having more time wouldn’t do anything for us at this point.

“This year we’re at a point where everybody on the squad is a lot more comfortable with just who we are as a football team. Instead of worrying about what (opponent) we’ve got coming up, guys are more certain about themselves and what we are and how good we can be.

“We’re ready to go.”

While the Chiefs might prefer to begin their season at Arrowhead Stadium or anywhere but against the Patriots at Gillette Stadium, a game like this so early in their rebuilding process has one advantage.

They will get to see, for better or for worse, how they measure up against the best.

“It’s probably the best way for us to start,” Edwards said. “We get a barometer of where you’re at right now. There’s no guessing. When it’s over, you can look at your football team and go, ‘OK, this is where we’re at.’ That’s the good thing about playing a team that’s this good.

“You’re going to get something out of it either way. You’re going to find out a lot about your team and the earlier you know, the better.”

The Patriots scored 30 or more points in 12 of their regular-season games last year, so the chances are that the Chiefs will be discouraged by what they learn. Still, they’ll have every right to believe better days are ahead.

With so many young players, the Chiefs can almost count on making some progress as the season goes on. That won’t help them in New England.

One reason Edwards played the starters so much in the preseason is that he wanted them as ready as possible when the real season began.

“Playing so much in the preseason is going to help us,” tight end Tony Gonzalez said. “I played more in the preseason than I have since my rookie year. That’s a good thing. We needed to work together. We needed to play together because we’re learning a new system.

“I do believe we’ll start out better offensively. We haven’t had guys going out and coming back in. That’s been different than the last couple of years. We’ve been together. We’ve had only one injury and that’s Branden Albert.

“So it’s coming along. I’d say we’re right about where we want to be.”

On defense, linebacker Donnie Edwards was the only starter to miss extended time. He returned for the final preseason game against St. Louis and should be available to play against New England.

In his absence, the Chiefs made three lineup changes, promoting linebacker Pat Thomas and defensive linemen Tank Tyler and Turk McBride to regulars. While those switches were made with the bigger picture in mind, the Chiefs made them early in camp so the new players would be ready by Sunday.

“I don’t remember having this feeling last year when we were getting ready to start the season,” Page said. “I didn’t get the vibe that everybody was on the same page and that they had a guy at every position that they really liked and could do what they want to do.

“We’re going to play what we want to play. We’re going to come out and play man-to-man and we’re going to play zone, whatever we feel we need to run to get a win, and we’re very comfortable with the guys we’ve got lined up, that they could play all the coverages. It didn’t feel like things we’re going in that direction last year.”

Mecca
09-01-2008, 10:26 PM
I suspect alot of these thoughts will change after that final score goes up.

Hammock Parties
09-01-2008, 10:27 PM
The Patriots are going to sign Ty Law.

cdcox
09-01-2008, 10:29 PM
What are they supposed to say?

"We're going to get mowed this year"

"Is it the off season yet?"

"What does this year's draft class look like?"

"I sure hope we win a few games. Otherwise, Herm may be out and the next head coach may not value a blocking wide receiver."

kcchiefsus
09-01-2008, 10:36 PM

That was said in the article. This team already knows they probably won't take alot of positives out of the opener. Any other great revelations for us? Is Mark Sanchez going to win the Heisman?

Coach
09-01-2008, 10:39 PM
This just in: I'm not feeling too good about the Chiefs as they head into opener.

boogblaster
09-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Hopefully they can stay in the game and not get blown off the planet .....

FAX
09-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Chiefs: 31
Patsys: 28

FAX

09-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Depends on Brady. If he starts we get raped hard.
If he doesn't we just get raped.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-02-2008, 12:36 AM
45-13.

J Diddy
09-02-2008, 12:37 AM

we win

Smed1065
09-02-2008, 12:41 AM
That was said in the article. This team already knows they probably won't take alot of positives out of the opener. Any other great revelations for us? Is Mark Sanchez going to win the Heisman?

But Mecca did not say it, in the article.

http://scosoft.com/h/w/516b5168.gif

kcxiv
09-02-2008, 12:41 AM
I am thinking 35-10 or so.

As long as i see them trying and not folding like bitches like we did in the 2nd half of last season i will be ok.

Boris The Great
09-02-2008, 12:47 AM

They could be bitching about the schedule and that they have to open at New England. You know Vermeil would be. Hell, he threw a fit when we had to open at Denver in 04, with KC coming off a 13-3 season.

Logical
09-02-2008, 12:49 AM

"We're going to get mowed this year"

"Is it the off season yet?"

"What does this year's draft class look like?"

"I sure hope we win a few games. Otherwise, Herm may be out and the next head coach may not value a blocking wide receiver."I suppose that is true but after Brady schools our D with basically no pressure on him and we get to see how often the new kicker can convert, I expext a more realistic view.

Logical
09-02-2008, 12:52 AM
By the way if we lose by less than 17 call it a moral victory and move on.

btlook1
09-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Chiefs: 31
Patsys: 28

FAX

Well we know who's in the bottle tonight!

Mecca
09-02-2008, 12:54 AM
If the Chiefs score 28 points I'll be stunned.

Smed1065
09-02-2008, 01:01 AM
If the Chiefs score, I'll be stunned. They are no usc.

Basileus777
09-02-2008, 01:02 AM

If Matt Cassell plays anything like he did in the preseason, we might be able to win.

And I don't mean that as praise for the Chiefs, Cassell is just that bad.

TinyEvel
09-02-2008, 01:16 AM
I think the team to score first will win.
We have a chance. Page will intercept twice.

Mecca
09-02-2008, 01:16 AM
They are no usc.

No matter if you disagree with everything I say, the Chiefs are one of the worst offensive teams in the league.

MGRS13
09-02-2008, 01:18 AM
If the Chiefs score 28 points I'll be stunned.

If we score more then 28 points the first month of the season I'll be stunned.

DaneMcCloud
09-02-2008, 01:21 AM
41-3.

The Patriots aren't even in the same league as the Chiefs right now.

PS-Chiefs lose

TinyEvel
09-02-2008, 01:24 AM
41-3.

So negative. You have a black heart.
:D

hi pal. Gotta catch up. I'd call ya but going to sleep. Wiped.

found this today though in Santa Monica...

TinyEvel
09-02-2008, 01:25 AM
c/u

Micjones
09-02-2008, 01:28 AM
The company line.
That's unexpected.
:rolleyes:

"We feel good about ourselves going into the season..."

Kick rocks.

kcchiefsus
09-02-2008, 01:29 AM
41-3.

PS-Chiefs lose

The pats really don't have the secondary right now to keep any team to 3 points IMO.

Mecca
09-02-2008, 01:31 AM
The pats really don't have the secondary right now to keep any team to 3 points IMO.

You are aware of how bad this offense is right?

MGRS13
09-02-2008, 01:32 AM

You don't need a great secondary to play the chiefs. You put a safety and a line backer on tony a safety and a corner or hell two on bowe and every body else tackles LJ.

TinyEvel
09-02-2008, 01:34 AM
You don't need a great secondary to play the chiefs. You put a safety and a line backer on tony a safety and a corner or hell two on bowe and every body else tackles LJ.

ROFL

You're probably right, now that Herm removed teh threat of SIPPIO!!!!!!!!111!!!!

MGRS13
09-02-2008, 01:40 AM
ROFL

You're probably right, now that Herm removed teh threat of SIPPIO!!!!!!!!111!!!!

actually I think the plan is to just put Devard"footballJesus"Darling on the field all by himself. Of course this would be unfair to the rest of the NFL since he'd score like a billioy majilliony points a game. I think the commish is looking into banning him because of the fear he might explode all the other teams with his majic football talent. I mean he invented football he is the football god all other players should get down on their knees and pray for forgivness.

TinyEvel
09-02-2008, 01:45 AM
Honestly, why we kept FIVE RB's on the active roster is friggen a joke. Battle and Darling? Puhlease.

I'd rather have Sippio than either of those two.

MGRS13
09-02-2008, 01:51 AM
Honestly, why we kept FIVE RB's on the active roster is friggen a joke. Battle and Darling? Puhlease.

I'd rather have Sippio than either of those two.

We have DD at WR do we really need any other players at WR? Come to think of it we should trade D. Bowe what do you think we could get for him. Maybe DD would give us like a lock of his hair if we traded D. Bowe to him to be his personal assistant or something.

The Bad Guy
09-02-2008, 04:25 AM
You are aware of how bad this offense is right?

I don't think anyone knows how bad or (good) this offense is.

I don't guage an offense by the preseason.

The difference is:

Chan Gailey is an accomplished OC, as opposed to Solari.
The running game should be better.
Bowe and Gonzalez should be able to do some damage against this horrid secondary.

If we are using the preseason as a guage, the Patriots defense looked super old and super shitty.

Mecca
09-02-2008, 04:41 AM
I do think the Pats will show signs of age this year it's why I don't think they go back to the bowl but I still think they have enough to beat us and win most of the games on their schedule, it's pretty easy.

Until I see different I'm going into this believing the Chiefs are somewhere between 28-32 in offense.

KCJohnny
09-02-2008, 04:42 AM
I don't think anyone knows how bad or (good) this offense is.

I don't guage an offense by the preseason.

The difference is:

Chan Gailey is an accomplished OC, as opposed to Solari.
The running game should be better.
Bowe and Gonzalez should be able to do some damage against this horrid secondary.

If we are using the preseason as a guage, the Patriots defense looked super old and super shitty.

I agree with TBG. Our O is unknown, but you don't have to be John Madden to see that we DO have talent (Bowe/TG/LJ/Deep-at-RB) and with a new OC who is very experienced and a simplified athlete-friendly system, the benefit of the doubt goes to the Chiefs being improved.

More than the the offense, the defense concerns me. Rookies in the 2ndary, a new MLB, no Jarred Allen, and they are facing the most potent offense in NFL history on the road.

I'm feeling good about the opener, too, but for reasons more akin to the 'moral victory' that is attainable by a good effort and a respectable score.

My homerific pick is NE 34, KC 17. Game closer than the score.

ExtremeChief
09-02-2008, 04:51 AM
I think it will remain close in the first half and in the second half NE will pull away.

31-17 NE

JohnnyV13
09-02-2008, 05:16 AM
I think the chiefs will punch the pats in the mouth in the 1st quarter, fight valiantly during the second and third, then lose it in the fourth to suffer a narrow 51-3 defeat.

09-02-2008, 05:25 AM
I think the chiefs will punch the pats in the mouth in the 1st quarter, fight valiantly during the second and third, then lose it in the fourth to suffer a narrow 51-3 defeat.
Love the positive spin there.:D

KCJohnny
09-02-2008, 05:37 AM
I think the subtext to Teicher's article is that Chiefs came out of camp in 2006 and 2007 less than, shall we say, READY. The consensus this year is that the team is ready to go out and compete from day 1. If the players feel that way, I think its significant. It was pretty easy to see the '06 and '07 teams that stunk in preseason were still in the losing mode come opening day. Regardless whether we win or lose in Foxboro, if the team really is ready, I'll call that an improvement right there over the last 2 seasons.

King_Chief_Fan
09-02-2008, 07:04 AM
I think the subtext to Teicher's article is that Chiefs came out of camp in 2006 and 2007 less than, shall we say, READY. The consensus this year is that the team is ready to go out and compete from day 1. If the players feel that way, I think its significant. It was pretty easy to see the '06 and '07 teams that stunk in preseason were still in the losing mode come opening day. Regardless whether we win or lose in Foxboro, if the team really is ready, I'll call that an improvement right there over the last 2 seasons.

you are right...........But, Herm Edwards teams have never come out for the first game ready.

Reerun_KC
09-02-2008, 07:13 AM
you are right...........But, Herm Edwards teams have never come out for the first 2-3 games ready.

FYP

Skip Towne
09-02-2008, 07:26 AM
On any given Sunday...................except this one.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-02-2008, 09:30 AM
I've always thought they should schedule all the divisional games for the second half of the year and play all the out of division opponents the first half. That way you can get your team situated before duking it out with your rivals. It would make for a much more interesting season.

Mama Hip Rockets
09-02-2008, 06:29 PM

i suspect this as well.

whoman69
09-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Is Teicher trying to horn in on Gretz' territory?

Hammock Parties
09-02-2008, 07:12 PM
We're good enough, we're smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like us!

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/Afrauds3/Stuart-Smalley-Magnet-C12359389.jpg

LOCOChief
09-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Senator Stuart Smalley heh

Rausch
09-02-2008, 07:54 PM
you are right...........But, Herm Edwards teams have never come out for the first game ready.

Neither did the Steelers teams under Cowher. They always got pounded the first 2-3 weeks.

But they were in the AFC championchip game about every other year.

It's not where you start, it's where you finish...

Reerun_KC
09-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Neither did the Steelers teams under Cowher. They always got pounded the first 2-3 weeks.

But they were in the AFC championchip game about every other year.

It's not where you start, it's where you finish...
may I offer you?

http://www.broadbandreports.com/r0/download/1030776~f2eb4533aae9ec01c7eaf1f1484a7985/crack-pipe.jpg