PDA

View Full Version : Weather Hurricane Hanna

Fire Me Boy!
09-02-2008, 06:53 AM
With Gustav downgraded to a tropical depression after it made landfall, attention is turning to Hurricane Hanna, which looks to hit just north of Charleston, SC later this week as a Category 2.

I'm not liking the looks of this. Never been through a hurricane, and it's looking very likely that I'll be evacuated.

Then... Ike is right behind. No telling yet where it'll go. And right after that is Tropical Storm No. 10.

Fire Me Boy!
09-02-2008, 06:53 AM
http://tinyurl.com/69ay7t

Mr. Plow
09-02-2008, 06:55 AM
Looks like I'm going to be busy for awhile.

CoMoChief
09-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Yea!!!!!! more mandatory overtime for me at State Farm. I work strictly Lousiana claims.

****in sucks

Mr. Plow
09-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Yea!!!!!! more mandatory overtime for me at State Farm. I work strictly Lousiana claims.

****in sucks

Ah State Farm. I work - in a round about way - with ServiceMaster. These storms are bad for the affected areas, but good for business.

Fire Me Boy!
09-03-2008, 08:45 AM
State of SC is now telling people to get ready for a hurricane.

The wife and I got an inventory put together and took a bunch of pictures for the insurance.

This sucks.

Deberg_1990
09-03-2008, 08:46 AM

The wife and I got an inventory put together and took a bunch of pictures for the insurance.

This sucks.

Man, that does suck. Welcome to the coast!

Seriously, good luck to you man.

Skip Towne
09-03-2008, 08:49 AM

This sucks.

My sister lives in Miami and has been through many hurricanes. She says most people have shutters installed on their windows. Do you have shutters on yours yet?

Fire Me Boy!
09-03-2008, 08:53 AM
My sister lives in Miami and has been through many hurricanes. She says most people have shutters installed on their windows. Do you have shutters on yours yet?

Luckily, from what I'm told, because of where I am, wind damage is not really a concern - I'm behind a fairly large apartment complex that blocks the wind. My major concern comes from the fact that I'm a block and a half from the ocean. Storm surge becomes a very real concern.

As for shutters, I'm renting and the owner has not installed them. The president of the condo association says they've never boarded before, and she's been here for some of the bigger ones that have hit Myrtle Beach.

DaKCMan AP
09-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Ike and Josephine on the way.

Simply Red
09-03-2008, 09:24 AM

This sucks.

Come to Atlanta! It's only 5-hrs. I'll make you that Apricot Chicken.

Hydrae
09-03-2008, 09:24 AM
I know things were really bad with Katrina but is all this over reaction to every blow this time of year reasonable?

Deberg_1990
09-03-2008, 09:36 AM
I know things were really bad with Katrina but is all this over reaction to every blow this time of year reasonable?

You bring up an interesting point. Is it just me or does there seem to be more big hurricanes these days than 10, 20, 30 years ago?

Or is it the 24/7 news media blowing things out of proportion?

Fire Me Boy!
09-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Hey! I'm part of that news media. :harumph:

It's a big deal to me personally because I've never been through one, and frankly I'm a little nervous.

Overall, I don't think anyone's really over-hyping this one. It's a category 1, maybe 2. Just getting people prepared in case of evacuations.

As for Gustav, I think everyone thought it was going to be more than it really was.

Deberg_1990
09-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Hey! I'm part of that news media. :harumph:

It's a big deal to me personally because I've never been through one, and frankly I'm a little nervous.

Overall, I don't think anyone's really over-hyping this one. It's a category 1, maybe 2. Just getting people prepared in case of evacuations.

As for Gustav, I think everyone thought it was going to be more than it really was.

Prepare for the worst, pray for the best....

DaKCMan AP
09-03-2008, 09:49 AM

Prepare for the worst, pray for the best....

Yep. It's when the media doesn't cover it enough, people get complacent and don't prepare that you get a Hurricane Andrew/Katrina type situation.

Dartgod
09-03-2008, 10:01 AM
At least you have some warning. In the midwest a tornado could destroy everything with no warning.

Fire Me Boy!
09-03-2008, 10:02 AM
At least you have some warning. In the midwest a tornado could destroy everything with no warning.

Oh, I know. I lived in the Midwest for 29+ years.

Dartgod
09-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Oh, I know. I lived in the Midwest for 29+ years.
I know that. We were practically neighbors. Too bad we never got together for a beer.

Fire Me Boy!
09-03-2008, 10:11 AM
I know that. We were practically neighbors. Too bad we never got together for a beer.

No kiddin'.

Really, once I got the job there was so little time for anything. I was offered the job and in SC within 14 days. I didn't even get to give my old station two full weeks notice. I felt bad about that, a little.

Deberg_1990
09-03-2008, 10:14 AM
I didn't even get to give my old station two full weeks notice. I felt bad about that, a little.

You got to look out for #1. Nobody else is gonna do it.

BTW, whatever happened to that dude you created a thread about a long time ago who you caught jerking at your desk? ROFL

PhillyChiefFan
09-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Stay safe, hopefully it won't hit you straight on.

Fire Me Boy!
09-03-2008, 10:41 AM
You got to look out for #1. Nobody else is gonna do it.

BTW, whatever happened to that dude you created a thread about a long time ago who you caught jerking at your desk? ROFL

ROFL

That guy was not at the TV station. That was way back when I worked at the newspaper. A while after that, he was doing press work at the big press and got hit by a roll of paper. Screwed his back up pretty bad.

Spent several months on worker's comp. I quit before he came back, so I don't know, but I think he eventually quit after the worker's comp ran out.

My only Hall of Classics thread... http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110435

Deberg_1990
09-03-2008, 10:44 AM
ROFL

That guy was not at the TV station. That was way back when I worked at the newspaper. A while after that, he was doing press work at the big press and got hit by a roll of paper. Screwed his back up pretty bad.

Spent several months on worker's comp. I quit before he came back, so I don't know, but I think he eventually quit after the worker's comp ran out.

My only Hall of Classics thread... http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110435

Wow, didnt realize that was 3 years ago! Amazing i remembered it. ROFL

Anyhow, hopefully the Hurricane wont be too bad for you. Just make sure you evacuate if told to do so. Better safe than sorry.

Fire Me Boy!
09-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Wow, didnt realize that was 3 years ago! Amazing i remembered it. ROFL

Anyhow, hopefully the Hurricane wont be too bad for you. Just make sure you evacuate if told to do so. Better safe than sorry.

Yeah, my wife is headed to some friends' house with the cats if they evacuate (since we're in zone 1 of evacuations), and I'll be here at the station.

Right now, our met is saying it's trending east, meaning we'll get side-swiped and Wilmington, NC will get the brunt.

ChiefGator
09-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Wonder when the NFL will comment on this one. Looks like it will be marching up the New England area on NFL Sunday.

BigOlChiefsfan
09-03-2008, 03:50 PM
I imagine you've gone over your checklist - We don't get hurricanes but when I lived in Houston the basics included candles/flashlights (I like LED headlamps) and appropriate batteries...and then more batteries. Stash 1.5 gallons/day/person of drinking water, plan on 7 days + fill the bathtub w/water so you can flush the commode if water pumps fail. Canned food + manual can opener - tuna in oil + kidney beans and red onions + vinegar & hot sauce are pretty tasty, cold, from the can. 7 cans tuna, 7 cans beans, 3 or 4 onions. Breakfast bars, fresh fruit, juice boxes. Good books, deck of cards, radios, rain gear, duct tape, towels. Baby wipes, meds, gun + ammo, waterproofed photo albums/documents, cash. Sterno + tea/instant coffee or french press, instant oatmeal.

That deck of cards is more important than you think. If you're ever lost or trapped, your best bet it to sit down, build a fire if possible and brew some tea. Deal out a hand of solitaire. Within 50 seconds someone will appear to point out that you can play the red 7 on the black 8. Voila, rescue!

Hydrae
09-03-2008, 05:53 PM
I imagine you've gone over your checklist - We don't get hurricanes but when I lived in Houston the basics included candles/flashlights (I like LED headlamps) and appropriate batteries...and then more batteries. Stash 1.5 gallons/day/person of drinking water, plan on 7 days + fill the bathtub w/water so you can flush the commode if water pumps fail. Canned food + manual can opener - tuna in oil + kidney beans and red onions + vinegar & hot sauce are pretty tasty, cold, from the can. 7 cans tuna, 7 cans beans, 3 or 4 onions. Breakfast bars, fresh fruit, juice boxes. Good books, deck of cards, radios, rain gear, duct tape, towels. Baby wipes, meds, gun + ammo, waterproofed photo albums/documents, cash. Sterno + tea/instant coffee or french press, instant oatmeal.

That deck of cards is more important than you think. If you're ever lost or trapped, your best bet it to sit down, build a fire if possible and brew some tea. Deal out a hand of solitaire. Within 50 seconds someone will appear to point out that you can play the red 7 on the black 8. Voila, rescue!

ROFL