PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb:Herm Edwards on the New England Patriots

Tribal Warfare
09-02-2008, 11:30 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/779395.html

Herm Edwards on the New England Patriots

On the New England Patriots:

“They’re a very balanced team, never panic and just play their game. They never worry about the opponent. They have a way they’re going to run their offense and certain things they’re going to do on defense. They play special teams a certain way and it really doesn’t matter who the opponent is. They’re a very confident football team.”

On quarterback Tom Brady:

“They were a little bit different when he was a young quarterback. They didn’t put a lot on his plate. As he evolved and matured they opened the offense up for him. Really, now they put it in his hands. They can throw whenever they want. They can run the ball, so it’s all evolved around him.”

On beginning the season with such a tough opponent:

“Eventually you have to play them all. Your schedule is your schedule, and they were going to be on the schedule because of the way it shook out. Whether you get them first game, last game, middle of the season you have to play them. It just happens to be the first and on the road.”

On Chiefs rookie left tackle Branden Albert:

“He’s good to go. He’s working. He’s excited. Big smile on his face. Big smile on everybody’s face. He’s just another young one who’s going to have to play. That’s OK. That’s what we said we were going to do and good for us because we stuck to our guns through this whole process. Now it’s time to go play and you can’t all of a sudden when it’s time start questioning what you’re doing. We have a certain way we do things around here now and I think it’s good for the organization. We will reap the benefits. It all starts somewhere, and it starts this year with the direction we’re headed.”

On changing the routine for a young team instead of a veteran team:

“I think you have to spend more time in the classroom with these guys. You have to have more patience. You can’t give them too much too early. I think you have to make things very simple for them so they can use their talents and the gifts we liked when we drafted them. You don’t want to hinder them with a thought process of thinking too much. And you need to do it over and over until they feel comfortable. Once they feel comfortable you can add some things.”

On having doubts rebuilding the Chiefs was the best plan:

“It’s like being in a card game and then you go, ‘I’ve got some bad cards, and I’ve got to throw them in.’ You’ve got to play them. You can’t throw your hand in. You’ve got to play. I think if we’re going to be truthful with ourselves, we’ve got to do it.”

Hammock Parties
09-03-2008, 04:32 AM
I can't wait for all of you to see Albert. He's a STUD!!!

BigRock
09-03-2008, 04:48 AM
I would be shocked (and thrilled and the proud owner of a huge boner) if Albert doesn't struggle in this game.

Mecca
09-03-2008, 04:49 AM
I suspect NE will try to confuse the hell out of all the Chiefs players, a game like this is right up Belichicks alley.

09-03-2008, 06:19 AM
I suspect NE will try to confuse the hell out of all the Chiefs players, a game like this is right up Belichicks alley.

You can’t give them too much too early. I think you have to make things very simple for them

Dumbing down the playbook is Herm's MO.

milkman
09-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Dumbing down the playbook is Herm's MO.

At the end of the day, I don't have a problem with this when it's for the players, benefit.

In a year or two, when the players are capable of digesting more, when we are still dumbing down the playbook for Herman ****ing Edwards' benefit, and we all know we will, is when I'll have a problem with it.

beach tribe
09-03-2008, 10:51 AM
At the end of the day, I don't have a problem with this when it's for the players, benefit.

In a year or two, when the players are capable of digesting more, when we are still dumbing down the playbook for Herman ****ing Edwards' benefit, and we all know we will, is when I'll have a problem with it.

What about the rookies we pick in the upcoming drafts?

Can't he always use them as the reason for "keeping it simple" ?

milkman
09-03-2008, 11:12 AM
What about the rookies we pick in the upcoming drafts?

Can't he always use them as the reason for "keeping it simple" ?

When you are building from scratch, with young players, a new OC, and a new playbook, that's a vaild reason to dumb everything down.

But when your system is in place, and most players have been in it for a couple of years, you don't dumb down the playbook for just a couple of players.

Those guys just have to catch up.

PhillyChiefFan
09-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Personally, I like playing a tough team at the beginning of the season, they'll learn more from this game than by playing another patsy team, maybe it will allow them to learn enough to help them win 3 or four games on down the line this year.

Gives them a chance to make themselves better, no one is expecting too much from them, so go out make the mistakes and learn against a hard team.

morphius
09-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Yup, with that 3-4 Defense against our OL that hasn't had enough time to gel yet. We may have to start rolling Croyle out of the pocket early.

blueballs
09-03-2008, 11:34 AM
BB on Chiefs

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/199