PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Hey Husker Fans, tell me about Pelini

Buehler445
09-04-2008, 09:00 PM
So everyone at the office is a HUGE Husker fan (despite being eleventy billion miles away). So I need the inside scoop on Pelini and whether or not he can turn around the complete ass that was Callahan.

I know the basics, that he coached at NU during the "glory days". He's a defensive guy, and is trying to instill a winning attitude.

How did they look in the first game? Improved?

Suffice it to say, they don't want to hear about what KU needs to do to beat MU.

Any insight into the Huskers org would be helpful. I'd at least like to participate in football conversations here. TIA.

Coach
09-04-2008, 09:23 PM
As a Big XII fan/observer, it is clear to me that Pelini > Callahan. Even that, practically anyone would have been an improvement over Callahan either way. That was one of the biggest bunders in Nebraska history was to hire Callahan over Pelini. Pederson, the person who was responsible for the hiring, is no longer with the university, along with Callahan.

Now, the question do remain though. Is he going to be a very good coach? Or is is one of those great assistants, but just can't cut it as a head coach? Only time will tell.

Saulbadguy
09-04-2008, 09:24 PM
He is kind of a moron and looks like a retarded baby, but I think he will do a decent job. However he will probably get fired after not winning a Big XII title after 4 years.

Dartgod
09-04-2008, 09:29 PM
He is kind of a moron and looks like a retarded baby, but I think he will do a decent job. However he will probably get fired after not winning a Big XII title after 4 years.
In other words, Bo Pelini > Ron Prince

Saulbadguy
09-04-2008, 09:30 PM
In other words, Bo Pelini > Ron Prince

Restore the Order!!!

ROFL

Bugeater
09-04-2008, 09:33 PM
They're basically retaining the same offense that they had under Callahan, so not much will change there other than maybe a little more emphasis on running the ball, although that wasn't evident in the first game.

Pelini wasn't around for the "glory days" he was brought in from Green Bay as DC for Frank Solich's last year here, and he did a decent job turning the D around from what it was in '02. They weren't stellar, but markedly improved from the year before. He served at interim coach for the Alamo Bowl after Solich got axed and coached the team to a win over Michigan St before Callahan cleaned house upon arrival.

As far as the attitude, all you need to do is listen to his interview from the Jim Rome show last week, and compare it to Callahan's dog and pony show. It tells me all I need to know about the guy.

Audio kinda sucks, but it's intelligible.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fCGsCN66JnU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fCGsCN66JnU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Saulbadguy
09-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Wouldn't Bo Pellini be "2-0", GoBo?

Sam Hall
09-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Even Bo admits the defense has a long way to go. He said it might be a long time before he gives out blackshirts. The defense was much more aggressive in the first game, and they did a much better job of stopping the run. There were mistakes, and I'm not looking forward to certain games.

Last year's defense was ranked near the bottom of the entire nation. Nobody expects an overnight turnaround. There's plenty of inexperience at linebacker, and the secondary is shaky.

I think the team has responded to Bo. He's an intense coach, and the defense played with more intensity last week. I went to the A&M game last year and saw Callahan come out with a frown on his face. Needless to say, the game was ugly.

Bugeater
09-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Wouldn't Bo Pellini be "2-0", GoBo?

I thought about counting the Alamo Bowl, but then I decided that would be lame.

Saulbadguy
09-04-2008, 09:43 PM
This coming from someone whose team hasn't defeated NU in a couple years.

I'm fairly grounded with my expectations. And, beating NU is no measure of success.

Skip Towne
09-04-2008, 09:45 PM
This coming from someone whose team hasn't defeated NU in a couple years.

I find it humorous that K-State thinks it is in a position to taunt anyone. They are right back where they belong.

Coach
09-04-2008, 09:47 PM
At least he's not afraid to cuss out at Snyder just becuase they were getting their asses handed back to them.

Sam Hall
09-04-2008, 09:51 PM
I'm fairly grounded with my expectations. And, beating NU is no measure of success.

That is exactly how Kansas State football measures success. They have always been a bunch of wannabes. You can run all the Callahan smack you want, but few programs have won more games than Nebraska.

KSU isn't even close to being the best team in its own state.

Coach
09-04-2008, 09:53 PM
That is exactly how Kansas State football measures success. They have always been a bunch of wannabes. You can run all the Callahan smack you want, but few programs have won more games than Nebraska.

Oooooo, a few programs have won more games than Nebraska, card. How delightful.

Get that shit outta here. :rolleyes:

Bugeater
09-04-2008, 09:53 PM
At least he's not afraid to cuss out at Snyder just becuase they were getting their asses handed back to them.

Well, to be fair he wasn't around for all the times NU ran it up on K-State.

Spott
09-04-2008, 09:55 PM
I hope he doesn't for another 25-30 years. I'm rather enjoying NU getting 41-6 ass kickings so their fans can know what it feels like to be on the other end of all those blowouts.

Sam Hall
09-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Oooooo, a few programs have won more games than Nebraska, card. How delightful.

Get that shit outta here. :rolleyes:

He can't argue it.

Coach
09-04-2008, 10:00 PM
He can't argue it.

Quite frankly, I could give a rats ass if Nebraska has won 500 college football games or lost 500 college football game. Big fuggin deal.

Coach
09-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Well, to be fair he wasn't around for all the times NU ran it up on K-State.

Sure, and after all the years that Neb ran it up on K-State, K-State was obliged to return the favor, even if it was just for a few seasons.

Saulbadguy
09-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Quite frankly, I could give a rats ass if Nebraska has won 500 college football games or lost 500 college football game. Big fuggin deal.

No one really cares but Husktards. Hell the Chiefs have won alot of games in the 90's, who gives a shit?

Sam Hall
09-04-2008, 10:05 PM
No one really cares but Husktards. Hell the Chiefs have won alot of games in the 90's, who gives a shit?

If you need the Callahan era to feel better about your team, than that's fine. Huskers fans have moved on.

Bugeater
09-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Sure, and after all the years that Neb ran it up on K-State, K-State was obliged to return the favor, even if it was just for a few seasons.

I don't disagree with that at all. What comes around, goes around.

Frazod
09-04-2008, 11:30 PM
I hope he doesn't for another 25-30 years. I'm rather enjoying NU getting 41-6 ass kickings so their fans can know what it feels like to be on the other end of all those blowouts.

Amen. If only Callahan had went to Oklahoma.

alanm
09-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Over 800 now. One of 3 teams :D

Pitt Gorilla
09-04-2008, 11:38 PM
I don't know. A few years ago, Nub fans were telling us how awesome Cally was and how the west coast offense was going to take them to the top (with first-round pick J. C. Keller driving the bus). Why should we believe them now?

alanm
09-04-2008, 11:40 PM
I don't know. A few years ago, Nub fans were telling us how awesome Cally was and how the west coast offense was going to take them to the top (with first-round pick J. C. Keller driving the bus). Why should we believe them now?
Why would we lie?:evil:

Bugeater
09-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Amen. If only Callahan had went to Oklahoma.

Well y'all had your chance when OU bottomed out in the 90s.

alanm
09-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Well y'all had your chance when OU bottomed out in the 90s.
I don't believe Nebraska's bottom out period will last as long as it did at OU. Like OU, Nebraska has too much money and support for it to stay down for long.

Mizzou_8541
09-05-2008, 12:51 AM
I don't believe Nebraska's bottom out period will last as long as it did at OU. Like OU, Nebraska has too much money and support for it to stay down for long.

So we should all be grateful for the time that Nebraska has given the rest of the B12 North. Thank you!

Buehler445
09-05-2008, 06:37 AM
As a Big XII fan/observer, it is clear to me that Pelini > Callahan. Even that, practically anyone would have been an improvement over Callahan either way. That was one of the biggest bunders in Nebraska history was to hire Callahan over Pelini. Pederson, the person who was responsible for the hiring, is no longer with the university, along with Callahan.

Now, the question do remain though. Is he going to be a very good coach? Or is is one of those great assistants, but just can't cut it as a head coach? Only time will tell.

That's kind of the way I feel. From the outside looking in, it looks like they hired the anti-Callahan. But when football season started last year, everyone was excited and going to all the games and shit. They got a little worried when Ball State hung 40 on them, and still thought they had a chance vs USC.

This year, they are still like whipped puppies. I figured they would be all excited to see the new system (kind of like Chiefs fans are now), but most of the folks I talk to are still pretty down on it. Although it might be because our sales are in the shitter.

They're basically retaining the same offense that they had under Callahan, so not much will change there other than maybe a little more emphasis on running the ball, although that wasn't evident in the first game.

Pelini wasn't around for the "glory days" he was brought in from Green Bay as DC for Frank Solich's last year here, and he did a decent job turning the D around from what it was in '02. They weren't stellar, but markedly improved from the year before. He served at interim coach for the Alamo Bowl after Solich got axed and coached the team to a win over Michigan St before Callahan cleaned house upon arrival.

As far as the attitude, all you need to do is listen to his interview from the Jim Rome show last week, and compare it to Callahan's dog and pony show. It tells me all I need to know about the guy.

Audio kinda sucks, but it's intelligible.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fCGsCN66JnU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fCGsCN66JnU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Cool thanks. Bo sounds like a pretty down to earth guy. Callahan seemed to be full of shit (see...HERM). So did they retain the offensive coordinator?

As a humorous aside, on the Big Red Report, they had the offensive coordinator on and they were giving him hell for not running the ball when he said they were going to focus on it. To paraphrase, he said when they would put the safeties at scrimage it is "borderline stupid" to keep running the ball. All I could think of was, DAMN I wish Herm was listening.

Even Bo admits the defense has a long way to go. He said it might be a long time before he gives out blackshirts. The defense was much more aggressive in the first game, and they did a much better job of stopping the run. There were mistakes, and I'm not looking forward to certain games.

Last year's defense was ranked near the bottom of the entire nation. Nobody expects an overnight turnaround. There's plenty of inexperience at linebacker, and the secondary is shaky.

I think the team has responded to Bo. He's an intense coach, and the defense played with more intensity last week. I went to the A&M game last year and saw Callahan come out with a frown on his face. Needless to say, the game was ugly.

They talked about him not giving the Blackshirts out for awhile. IMO thats a good deal.

I'm by no means a fan of NU, but overall, I do wish them well. We can have rivalries all we want but ultimately if our team is good, and the other 5 teams are complete ass, we still, most years have no shot at a NC because our league gets no respect. Not just with the media, but with the coaches poll either.

Not to hijack my own damn thread, but I have no freaking clue why everyone loves the Big 10. I heard a stat when during the MU/Illinois game that 7 of the teams in the Big 12 were in the top 25 in offense, while the best offensive team in the Big 10 was 26th...What the shit is that? How do they perrenially have so many teams in the top 25. You can argue their defense is tough, but through the years, they pound on each other, but getting outside their league, they get blown away frequently enough. I guess bottom line... GIVE THE BIG 12 SOME RESPECT [/rant]

BigRedChief
09-05-2008, 06:48 AM
uhhhh she's McCains new pit bull with lipstick.

Buehler445
09-05-2008, 06:53 AM
uhhhh she's McCains new pit bull with lipstick.

Palin?... If you turn this into a DC thread, I swear to GOD.....

I'll just go to work and check this when I get home...

Bugeater
09-05-2008, 07:17 AM
They got a little worried when Ball State hung 40 on them, and still thought they had a chance vs USC.
The Ball St game was the week after the USC game, and I think the team was still shell-shocked from what happened the week before. The team was never the same after that game.

Callahan seemed to be full of shit (see...HERM).
I don't have time to get into detail right now, but the parallels between what happened in Nebraska the last four years and what's happening in KC now are quite disturbing.

So did they retain the offensive coordinator?
Yes, Shawn Watson.

Buehler445
09-05-2008, 07:21 AM
The Ball St game was the week after the USC game, and I think the team was still shell-shocked from what happened the week before. The team was never the same after that game.

I don't have time to get into detail right now, but the parallels between what happened in Nebraska the last four years and what's happening in KC now are quite disturbing.

Yes, Shawn Watson.

Shit, I thought Ball State was before USC. My bad. Thanks for the insight GoBo.

alanm
09-05-2008, 07:24 AM
So we should all be grateful for the time that Nebraska has given the rest of the B12 North. Thank you!
Be ready to genuflect and kiss the ring when the time comes. ROFL

kcfan82
09-05-2008, 07:33 AM
He's a good gameday coach with good fire....

It's just that he has the recruiting prowess of Solich. Not to mention you have Osborne behind him acting like it's 1971, and suggesting he should focus on turning walk ons into All Americans.

alanm
09-05-2008, 07:37 AM
He's a good gameday coach with good fire....

It's just that he has the recruiting prowess of Solich. Not to mention you have Osborne behind him acting like it's 1971, and suggesting he should focus on turning walk ons into All Americans.
Right............:spock:

Bugeater
09-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Right............:spock:

You'll have to give him a break, he's a Callafan.

kcfan82
09-05-2008, 09:11 AM
You'll have to give him a break, he's a Callafan.

Don't worry he has stellar recruiters like Ron Brown to help him out :)

Saulbadguy
09-05-2008, 09:13 AM

We've heard that a few times already...

Saulbadguy
09-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Not to mention you have Osborne behind him acting like it's 1971, and suggesting he should focus on turning walk ons into All Americans.

ROFL The "walk-on program" will restore the order.

Mizzou_8541
09-05-2008, 09:26 AM

ROFL Will do. I know where Nebraska has been, and there's no way to keep a program like Nebraska down forever. I just don't think you will ever see the dominance like years past. That's not to say they will not have some very good teams in the near future.

Saulbadguy
09-05-2008, 09:29 AM
ROFL Will do. I know where Nebraska has been, and there's no way to keep a program like Nebraska down forever. I just don't think you will ever see the dominance like years past. That's not to say they will not have some very good teams in the near future.

Agreed.