PDA

View Full Version : Football D2 Washburn Ichabods defeat FCS (D1-AA) Missouri State in Springfield

Saulbadguy
09-04-2008, 09:25 PM
35-27. :clap:

Skip Towne
09-04-2008, 09:27 PM
What the hell's an Ichabod?

ChiefsCountry
09-04-2008, 09:28 PM
What the hell's an Ichabod?

A Bear ass kicker that is what is.:cuss:

Pablo
09-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Not surprising.

Washburn is a force in the MIAA.

MoWest plays them 9/27. Ought to be a tough test.

Skip Towne
09-04-2008, 09:33 PM
A Bear ass kicker that is what is.:cuss:

Is that the same team that is going to play MU? Jeebus, talk about playing cupcakes.

ChiefsCountry
09-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Is that the same team that is going to play MU? Jeebus, talk about playing cupcakes.

No, that is Southeast Missouri State. They are even worst than us. MU will put up 70 at least.

LiL stumppy
09-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Gah, I was hoping for a decent season from MSU this year, not looking so bright as of now :(

Reaper16
09-04-2008, 09:47 PM
I called that shit over at D2football.com, and brought up over here that they'd play MSU tough. Washburn has a QUALITY football team. And they're still not the best team in their conference!

The MIAA conference, division 2 football, has good teams. The top 6 MIAA teams could be solid competitors at the "1-AA" level. The distinction between D 2 and FCS is weakening each year.

:clap: for the MIAA conference and D2 football. Great win, Washburn. I'm really, really afraid of the 'Bods/Bearcats game later this season at Washburn.

Reaper16
09-04-2008, 09:50 PM
No, that is Southeast Missouri State. They are even worst than us. MU will put up 70 at least.
SEMO nearly lost to Southwest Baptist last week, coming from behind to win 35-28 in OT. Yes, SBU, a Division II opponent so bad that they were forced to leave the MIAA conference because they couldn't even beat the likes of Emporia St.

If MU plays their starters, they can drop 100 + on SEMO. Seriously. Last season, Northwest Missouri State's backups played more than half the game and they still dropped 86 points on SBU! And SEMO trailed SBU most of the game on Sat.

All I'm saying is, this one is going to be a laugher.

Pablo
09-04-2008, 09:51 PM
I called that shit over at D2football.com, and brought up over here that they'd play MSU tough. Washburn has a QUALITY football team. And they're still not the best team in their conference!

The MIAA conference, division 2 football, has good teams. The top 6 MIAA teams could be solid competitors at the "1-AA" level. The distinction between D 2 and FCS is weakening each year.

:clap: for the MIAA conference and D2 football. Great win, Washburn. I'm really, really afraid of the 'Bods/Bearcats game later this season at Washburn.Yep. As far as D2 football, it doesn't get any better than the MIAA.

Reaper16
09-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Yep. As far as D2 football, it doesn't get any better than the MIAA.
Especially with UNO joining the conference.

beavis
09-04-2008, 10:25 PM
:clap: for the MIAA conference and D2 football. Great win, Washburn. I'm really, really afraid of the 'Bods/Bearcats game later this season at Washburn.

I guess the 'cats got trounced last week. Sounds like our reign over the MIAA might be coming to an end. Washburn has gotten better by leaps and bounds since I was in school.

Reaper16
09-04-2008, 10:33 PM
I guess the 'cats got trounced last week. Sounds like our reign over the MIAA might be coming to an end. Washburn has gotten better by leaps and bounds since I was in school.
ACU has an incredible offense; the best D2 offense I've ever seen. They'll put 40 up on every team they play.

That said, ACU scored a garbage time TD to make it a 17 point game. It was really a 10 point loss for the Bearcats that could have been avoided by:

1.) the defense getting more pressure, and switiching to a dime coverage press scheme earlier. Our OLBs were getting burned big time beign asked to cover ACU's incredible receivers.

2.) The QB play needs to be better. The stats looked great, but Osborn was throwing a lot of bad passes. There was a lot of yardage left on the field due to errant throws forcing the reciever to adjust. Giving up on the running game after the 1st quartet didn't help either.

3.) No, seriously. We need improved QB play. ACU's defense eventually realized that we were NEVER going to throw deep. The game was over once they realized that, and adjusted their defense accordingly.

Reaper16
09-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Northwest should be okay. They'll improve. They lost an early game last year and came back to play in the national title game. That outcome won't happen this year, but I fully expect NW to be in the mix for a playoff spot this season. I see NW losing 3 games this season.

Hopefully, that'll be enough. MO West, Washburn, and UCM are going to make this conference interesting. Ultimately, I think that UNO will tie Pitt State for the conference title.

Kraus
09-04-2008, 11:01 PM
This is why I've gone to one Bears game in my 4 years of college.

Stinger
09-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Gah, I was hoping for a decent season from MSU this year, not looking so bright as of now :(

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Bright and MSU football do not go together in the same sentence.

Pitt Gorilla
09-04-2008, 11:30 PM
The top 6 MIAA teams could be solid competitors at the "1-AA" level. The distinction between D 2 and FCS is weakening each year.Sorry, but no. I'm a Pitt fan, but the top 6 MIAA teams would be at the bottom of the Gateway/Missouri Valley conference. For the most part, they'd get killed. Missouri State stinks, but they are in a power conference.

Ultra Peanut
09-04-2008, 11:31 PM
GO BODS

Reaper16
09-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Sorry, but no. I'm a Pitt fan, but the top 6 MIAA teams would be at the bottom of the Gateway/Missouri Valley conference. For the most part, they'd get killed. Missouri State stinks, but they are in a power conference.
I said solid competitors, not powerhouses. These schools recruit pretty well for their level already, especially considering the limited amount of donor money coming in for facilities, etc.

It wouldn't take all that much more of a donor interest to allow for D2 teams to be solid FCS teams.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-05-2008, 12:22 AM
Haha. [Southwest] gets pwned.

ChiefsCountry
09-05-2008, 12:56 AM
No offense but Central and UNO are the only other MIAA who could move up to D1. The rest of you guys dont have the athletic programs or facilities to make it work. Football wise yeah Northwest, Pitt could compete up but thats it.

Que Card QB
09-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Terry Allen.

Go Bods!

Demonpenz
09-05-2008, 07:32 AM
D. Robinson from Missouri western is second on the depth chart to dallas clark on the colts fight on griffons

Reaper16
09-05-2008, 09:32 AM
No offense but Central and UNO are the only other MIAA who could move up to D1. The rest of you guys dont have the athletic programs or facilities to make it work. Football wise yeah Northwest, Pitt could compete up but thats it.
This is true. UCM and UNO are the only MIAA schools with the enrollment and donor base in place to make a move to FCS possible.

bobbything
09-05-2008, 09:51 AM
ACU has an incredible offense; the best D2 offense I've ever seen. They'll put 40 up on every team they play.
I don't know. I'm not sure how old you are, or if you were lucky enough to see it, but the best D2 offense I ever saw was Emporia State's from 1996-(circa)1999. They ran one of the most unique offenses I've ever seen. A variation of the Run and Shoot that FOCUSED on the running game.

No fullbacks. No tight ends. And a 2000 yard rusher in Brian Shay. He shattered just about every scoring and rushing record there was.

Pablo
09-05-2008, 11:33 AM
D. Robinson from Missouri western is second on the depth chart to dallas clark on the colts fight on griffonsIt's Gijon Robinson.

And damn straight. Had a class with that dude, he was a very cool guy.

Pablo
09-05-2008, 11:44 AM
MoWest's OG Roger Allen has NFL talent. I'm pretty sure he's ranked in the Top 20 nationwide at his position. He might get a look from a couple team.

Apparently the Bucs have been scouting him.

Demonpenz
09-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Damnit I keep calling him Dijon like Dijon mustard

Reaper16
09-05-2008, 11:55 AM
I don't know. I'm not sure how old you are, or if you were lucky enough to see it, but the best D2 offense I ever saw was Emporia State's from 1996-(circa)1999. They ran one of the most unique offenses I've ever seen. A variation of the Run and Shoot that FOCUSED on the running game.

No fullbacks. No tight ends. And a 2000 yard rusher in Brian Shay. He shattered just about every scoring and rushing record there was.
I'm familiar with the Emporia State's "Shay-day" (pun lawlz). I'm familiar with 2004 Pitt State, too. Trust me, ACU has INSANE talent for this level. It's kind of unfair.

Reaper16
09-05-2008, 11:57 AM
MoWest's OG Roger Allen has NFL talent. I'm pretty sure he's ranked in the Top 20 nationwide at his position. He might get a look from a couple team.

Apparently the Bucs have been scouting him.
Roger Allen will be drafted. I don't know about top 20 G in the nation just yet. I do know that NFL scouts have already been to St. Joe to watch him and P Jamie Hanson.

Pablo
09-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Roger Allen will be drafted. I don't know about top 20 G in the nation just yet. I do know that NFL scouts have already been to St. Joe to watch him and P Jamie Hanson.24th rated guard in the nation by this site.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/college.php?DSTeamId=290&

Reaper16
09-05-2008, 12:19 PM
24th rated guard in the nation by this site.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/college.php?DSTeamId=290&
Which isn't quite top 20 yet ;)

I suspect that he will be by season's end. But he has to perform this season with the knowledge that the glaring eyes of scouts are on him. A down year would be especially bad for his stock.

Demonpenz
09-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Which isn't quite top 20 yet ;)

I suspect that he will be by season's end. But he has to perform this season with the knowledge that the glaring eyes of scouts are on him. A down year would be especially bad for his stock.

Well it's probably because the riggers of the "U" is making him focus off the field more than off it.