PDA

View Full Version : Life So, I'm thinking about moving.

luv
09-05-2008, 06:17 PM
I moved into a two bedroom apartment, thinking I needed to extra space. I love my apartment, but I would like to move into something a little cheaper right now.

http://www.weavercreekcommunity.com/
http://www.weavercreekcommunity.com/information/floor-plans-2.html

What do you think of this? I'm checking out the one bedroom. It has a separate laundry room where I could put Fat Cat's litter box. Right now, my laundry is in a closet off the dining room, and the litter box is in the office. I have a sleeper sofa, so I'm good if I ever have company over that needs to stay the night. Right now, I'm paying $685 for my place with the pet fee. It's not a LOT less, but it's less room to heat and cool, and, while I don't live far from work now, this place is even closer.

rad
09-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Buy a house.

luv
09-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Buy a house.

I know it's an investment, but I can't afford the monthly costs of paying all utilities, trash, maintenance, etc. I would love it if they sold condos here. I'd be all over that.

BigVE
09-05-2008, 06:25 PM
If you like it and you think it sounds like a good idea go for it. I was sold as soon as I saw FREE 32" FLAT PANEL TV!! lol

ChiefsFire
09-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Have you consulted Claythan yet since you guys are moving in together?

luv
If you like it and you think it sounds like a good idea go for it. I was sold as soon as I saw FREE 32" FLAT PANEL TV!! lol

I have a 37" flat panel. I'd go for the $500 off rent. I wonder if that would apply if I put a deposit down now, because I couldn't move in until 12/1. That's when my lease is up here.

BigMeatballDave
Those are very nice for the rent. Free LCD TV? Hellz yeah!

BigMeatballDave
09-05-2008, 06:32 PM
I have a 37" flat panel. I'd go for the $500 off rent. I wonder if that would apply if I put a deposit down now, because I couldn't move in until 12/1. That's when my lease is up here.Did you ask if you could get out of your current lease? Lie. Tell them you need to relocate due to your employment.

luv
09-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Did you ask if you could get out of your current lease? Lie. Tell them you need to relocate due to your employment.

Nope.

MIAdragon
09-05-2008, 06:39 PM
I know it's an investment, but I can't afford the monthly costs of paying all utilities, trash, maintenance, etc. I would love it if they sold condos here. I'd be all over that.

The only reason you should by a house is if you NEED the space, its NOT an investment.

Skip Towne
09-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Buy a small house or even a mobile home. You can do that for the $8000 plus per year you are paying. That's a lot of wasted money on rent.

rad
09-05-2008, 06:49 PM
The only reason you should by a house is if you NEED the space, its NOT an investment.

Wow, that's not even funny.

Simply Red
09-05-2008, 06:55 PM
So, where are you thinking about MOOOOOOving?:D

Silock
09-05-2008, 06:57 PM
You should look into renting a house. It's usually cheaper than renting an apartment.

MIAdragon
09-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Wow, that's not even funny.

Ok its a very poor investment at best.

Dayze
09-05-2008, 07:30 PM

i bought a house in 2002 for 82k; sold it in 2006 for 105.

$23k in 4 years.....works for me. allowed me to get into the house I'm in now.
:hmmm:

rad
09-05-2008, 07:31 PM

Yes. Because I'd much rather pay someone else's mortgage, and at the end of it all, have nothing to show for it.

luv
09-05-2008, 07:39 PM

My problem would be affording something that's structurally sound. I have no problem making the cosmetic upgrades. I just don't have money for plumbing, roof, water heater, furnace, etc. And I hate yard work.

ChiefsLV
09-05-2008, 07:44 PM

I was about to post something about the collapsing real-estate market and how buying now would be a "de-vestment", but you guys have it pretty good compared to us:

KC: http://www.housingtracker.net/askingprices/Missouri/KansasCity/

Vegas: http://www.housingtracker.net/askingprices/Nevada/LasVegas-Paradise/

Been waiting a year and a half so far for our market to bottom out. From those predictions and job losses in Vegas, it looks like I'll be waiting a long time.

Dayze
09-05-2008, 07:47 PM
My problem would be affording something that's structurally sound. I have no problem making the cosmetic upgrades. I just don't have money for plumbing, roof, water heater, furnace, etc. And I hate yard work.

agreed.
At a minimum you're virtually guaranteed to pay yourself back for living there; everything else is gravy.

there are certainly more lucrative investments etc; but owning a home (if means allow you to do so) is the easiest choice; and easiest way to accumulate assets, IMO.

there is some risk in the first time home buyers price range; our house was 30+ years old; but we found one in which the roof had been replaced 5 years prior; and heating repleaced 8 years prior to purchase. we went in with the intent of only staying about 5 years.

we put about 3K in upgrades to the kitchen; and 1k in carpet; and it sold for 6times the money we put into it.

It takes time; but you could find something in your range that isn't about to fall apart etc. A lot of give and take to be had, however (expectations vs. realtiy).

IMO it's worth spending the extra time to potentially find a home to own; at a minimum, you'll sell it and at least pay yourself back for your mortgage payments (assuming the econmy doesn't fall further into the toilet)

Good luck luv! let us know if we can help.:thumb:

Dayze
09-05-2008, 07:50 PM
I was about to post something about the collapsing real-estate market and how buying now would be a "de-vestment", but you guys have it pretty good compared to us:

Been waiting a year and a half so far for our market to bottom out. From those predictions and job losses in Vegas, it looks like I'll be waiting a long time.

yep; this was a few years back when the housing market wasn't as shakey as it is now. I bought during a seller's market; and sold during a buyers market; subsequently buying my next home in the same buyers market.

timing/location/economy etc; all factors.

Skip Towne
09-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Find a realtor you can trust. He/She will find what you want. We bought a mobile home when first married. We live in it for 2 years and sold it for what wepaid for it. We used the money for a down payment on an "A frame" at a small lake. Then on to a bigger house. It's fun.

luv
09-05-2008, 08:13 PM
agreed.
At a minimum you're virtually guaranteed to pay yourself back for living there; everything else is gravy.

there are certainly more lucrative investments etc; but owning a home (if means allow you to do so) is the easiest choice; and easiest way to accumulate assets, IMO.

there is some risk in the first time home buyers price range; our house was 30+ years old; but we found one in which the roof had been replaced 5 years prior; and heating repleaced 8 years prior to purchase. we went in with the intent of only staying about 5 years.

we put about 3K in upgrades to the kitchen; and 1k in carpet; and it sold for 6times the money we put into it.

It takes time; but you could find something in your range that isn't about to fall apart etc. A lot of give and take to be had, however (expectations vs. realtiy).

IMO it's worth spending the extra time to potentially find a home to own; at a minimum, you'll sell it and at least pay yourself back for your mortgage payments (assuming the econmy doesn't fall further into the toilet)

I kind of ruined my credit over the summer, too. And I don't have a down payment. I noticed you said "we". It's me and my cat, and my cat doesn't have any income.

KcMizzou
09-05-2008, 08:15 PM
I kind of ruined my credit over the summer, too. And I don't have a down payment. I noticed you said "we". It's me and my cat, and my cat doesn't have any income.Damned freeloader.

Fairplay
09-05-2008, 08:22 PM

I'm not part of the "we".

luv
09-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Damned freeloader.

Tell me about it. She's a bed hog, too. And she snores.

Fairplay
09-05-2008, 08:26 PM

Vegas is really fugged up compared to KC.

Best of luck man.

I hope this recession turns around but quick.

luv
09-05-2008, 08:33 PM
So, on the apartment....

The one bedroom is the same layout as my last two apartments. Not sure how thrilled I am with that. Looking around, though, a lot of the new ones all have the same types of layouts. I just like the idea of having a laundry room. I'd rent a house if I could find someone I trust enough to be a roommate.

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Luv, have you ever considered buying? Unless you are planning to leave the area in the next year or two, you can probably get something the same size or even bigger for the same price maybe even less. Instead of paying rent, you could start building equity in your own home.

Simply Red
09-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Luv, have you ever considered buying? Unless you are planning to leave the area in the next year or two, you can probably get something the same size or even bigger for the same price maybe even less. Instead of paying rent, you could start building equity in your own home.

Yeah?!

LUV!

Smed1065
09-05-2008, 09:48 PM
SHORT story, unless you want a change 1 bedroom is more with the pet fee, move in fee and all deposits. for les room and to save money?

Clayton 2 IMO.

Have to move? Cost more? And have less room got the utilities?

To save $20 a month.

U need to date Goatse.

Same same to most here.

Phobia
09-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Those are very nice for the rent. Free LCD TV? Hellz yeah!

It's not actually free. You're paying for it. You pay one way or another in all these promotions. I'm running a 42" promotion and a Blue Ray promotion ATM and my customers will definitely end up paying for it one way or another. It's a numbers game.

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Yeah?!

LUV!

You know, when Papasmurf sees that suggestion he'll probably neg rep me for suggesting it and getting him into a home remodel and handyman work.

Silock
09-05-2008, 10:01 PM
The only problem with a fixer upper right now is that you're assuming people will be able to afford homes in the near future. If not, you're stuck.

Donger
09-05-2008, 10:01 PM
One word: equity. Buy a house.

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 10:06 PM
The only problem with a fixer upper right now is that you're assuming people will be able to afford homes in the near future. If not, you're stuck.

Or, you could get a lot more home for your $ provided you can do a lot of the work yourself. The house we are in is worth a fair bit more than we could normally afford. But we bought it run down, put a little $ into it and a lot of work, and are now sitting in a house worth about 25K more than we owe on it just a year and a half into buying it. We don't plan on selling it though.

Saulbadguy
09-05-2008, 10:06 PM
One word: equity. Buy a house.

I'm guessing her credit is not good enough to qualify for a mortgage. However even if it was, she won't listen.

luv
09-05-2008, 10:07 PM
SHORT story, unless you want a change 1 bedroom is more with the pet fee, move in fee and all deposits. for les room and to save money?

Clayton 2 IMO.

Have to move? Cost more? And have less room got the utilities?

To save $20 a month.

U need to date Goatse.

Same same to most here.

I'll be saving $50/month. I pay $650 for rent and $35 for pet fee. New place, I'll be paying $615 rent and $20 pet fee. Plus I'll be closer to work, so less on gas. Also, smaller space will cost less to heat/cool. All-in-all, I'd be saving almost $100 per month.

luv
09-05-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm guessing her credit is not good enough to qualify for a mortgage. However even if it was, she won't listen.

Yeah, I could afford a fixer upper, not afford to fix it up, then try to sell it in a buyer's market.

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 10:12 PM
I'll be saving $50/month. I pay $650 for rent and $35 for pet fee. New place, I'll be paying $615 rent and $20 pet fee. Plus I'll be closer to work, so less on gas. Also, smaller space will cost less to heat/cool. All-in-all, I'd be saving almost $100 per month.

That's less than $100 a month difference from what I am paying to buy a modern style 1500 square foot house in a nice neigborhood.

Silock
09-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Or, you could get a lot more home for your $ provided you can do a lot of the work yourself. The house we are in is worth a fair bit more than we could normally afford. But we bought it run down, put a little $ into it and a lot of work, and are now sitting in a house worth about 25K more than we owe on it just a year and a half into buying it. We don't plan on selling it though.

See, that's a great plan, because you're planning on staying there.

If you just want a place to live, I would go a different route.

luv
09-05-2008, 10:15 PM
That's less than $100 a month difference from what I am paying to buy a modern style 1500 square foot house in a nice neigborhood.

How much to you pay for water, gas, and trash? How much have you spent for repairs? How's your credit?

I'm not making excuses on the credit. That was my own fault.

BIG K
09-05-2008, 10:18 PM
I moved into a two bedroom apartment, thinking I needed to extra space. I love my apartment, but I would like to move into something a little cheaper right now.

What do you think of this? I'm checking out the one bedroom. It has a separate laundry room where I could put Fat Cat's litter box. Right now, my laundry is in a closet off the dining room, and the litter box is in the office. I have a sleeper sofa, so I'm good if I ever have company over that needs to stay the night. Right now, I'm paying $685 for my place with the pet fee. It's not a LOT less, but it's less room to heat and cool, and, while I don't live far from work now, this place is even closer.

Packing to move right now myself...If this move does not work out, I will be leaving California and moving to Wyoming, Montanna or some other place that I can have lots of property and my illeagal machine guns and anti-aircraft guns are legal....Any thoughts?

Skip Towne
09-05-2008, 10:19 PM

The won't listen part mostly. We've had this discussion before. Landlords love fools. Hell, they survive on them.

btlook1
09-05-2008, 10:20 PM

I have a 3 bedroom house and 40 acres and I pay about the same that you do for a house payment! Granted I'm not in downtown Springfield but there are deals out there if you want to look around. I'm betting if you budget you could find a house you can afford. Then get a roommate later if you need the $$. Get one with a basement and you can rent that to Goatse.

luv
09-05-2008, 10:22 PM
The won't listen part mostly. We've had this discussion before. Landlords love fools. Hell, they survive on them.

Lord knows everyone here already knows I'm an idiot.

btlook1
09-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Packing to move right now myself...If this move does not work out, I will be leaving California and moving to Wyoming, Montanna or some other place that I can have lots of property and my illeagal machine guns and anti-aircraft guns are legal....Any thoughts?

Hey when you find a good deal on the anti-aircraft stuff...give me a buzz!

Smed1065
09-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Sorry but moving to save $20 a month is stupid. Unless you hate the space you have now. I mean add the rent, pet fee and the others, does not make since to "save" (40 a month ) money. Less size, same money and cost of moving? WTF? More than now and smaller? With deposits and smalle. I hate to pile on but seriously?pluss fees
Hello

luv
09-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Sorry but moving to save $20 a month is stupid. Unless you hate the space you have now. I mean add the rent, pet fee and the others, does not make since to "save" (40 a month ) money. Less size, same money and cost of moving? WTF? More than now and smaller? With deposits and smalle. I hate to pile on but seriously?pluss fees
Hello

I've already responded to this.

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 10:29 PM
How much to you pay for water, gas, and trash? How much have you spent for repairs? ow's your credit?

I'm not making excuses on the credit. That was my own fault.

Keep in mind I have 3 kids, a wife, a pool pump running all summer and so on, but we are paying about $150/mo electric, and 100/mo for gas, water, and trash.

My credit score is fairly decent. But a family in my church just got a loan a few months back for the same interest rate I got my loan at. The difference is they filed bankruptcy 5-6 years ago, owe on credit cards, and have a low credit score.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could end up in a 2-3 bedroom home of 1000-1200 square feet in decent shape for less monthly than what you are wanting to pay for a 1 bedroom apt.

If you decide to move in a few years, you have to put up with the hassle of selling it. But at the same time, if you build up equity, you will walk away with a nice down payment on the next house.

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Get one with a basement and you can rent that to Goatse.

You don't know how close I came to posting that in my last reply
(I started it before you had posted).

luv
09-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Keep in mind I have 3 kids, a wife, a pool pump running all summer and so on, but we are paying about $150/mo electric, and 100/mo for gas, water, and trash.

My credit score is fairly decent. But a family in my church just got a loan a few months back for the same interest rate I got my loan at. The difference is they filed bankruptcy 5-6 years ago, owe on credit cards, and have a low credit score.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could end up in a 2-3 bedroom home of 1000-1200 square feet in decent shape for less monthly than what you are wanting to pay for a 1 bedroom apt.

If you decide to move in a few years, you have to put up with the hassle of selling it. But at the same time, if you build up equity, you will walk away with a nice down payment on the next house.

It's just me. I don't need a lot of space. I don't need to worry about calling a plumber if my pipes clog or go bad. I don't have to worry about replacing a furnace. I don't have to mow a yard, or powerwash siding. I pay electric, and that's it. I've also got cable and high speed internet included in the rent. I don't have to shovel snow in the winter. If something should happen, I can scream and my neighbors will hear me.

It's not that I don't already know what everyone is saying. Home ownership just isn't for me right now. I'm asking for an opinion on an apartment, not whether I should get an apartment or a house. If I had known this whole debate was going to start, I wouldn't have posted the thread.

Yes, Saulbadguy, I already know I shouldn't start any threads at all, so save it.

BIG K
09-05-2008, 10:38 PM

Just out of curiousity, suppose Loves credit is good. Where does the down payment come into play? Or is that just a california thing? Out here, you have to provide a down payment (that is not a loan) Has anyone here considered that perhaps she cannot afford a down payment to purchase a house? Why the hassle?

|Zach|
09-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Moving sucks so hard.

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 10:46 PM
It's just me. I don't need a lot of space. I don't need to worry about calling a plumber if my pipes clog or go bad. I don't have to worry about replacing a furnace. I don't have to mow a yard, or powerwash siding. I pay electric, and that's it. I've also got cable and high speed internet included in the rent. I don't have to shovel snow in the winter. If something should happen, I can scream and my neighbors will hear me.

It's not that I don't already know what everyone is saying. Home ownership just isn't for me right now. I'm asking for an opinion on an apartment, not whether I should get an apartment or a house. If I had known this whole debate was going to start, I wouldn't have posted the thread.

Yes, Saulbadguy, I already know I shouldn't start any threads at all, so save it.

I understand what you are saying. In the long run though, it is a much better way to go. I did a uick little search and found one property just north of an area you are quite familiar with. Looks like a decent place, 2 bed one bath, 1000 ft on a small lot. @ 0 down, and 6.5% you'd be looking at about $500 a month according to their payment calculator IF you actually paid asking price. (here's a link:
http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?pg=1&cmid=1095209&typ=1&sid=add28a5460914b03a1591aad944665fc&lid=1100985927&lsn=5&srcnt=192#Detail)

Not trying to push, it's just that for a long time I tried to tell myself I didn't need to buy. Now that I own, I wished I had bought years earlier.

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Just out of curiousity, suppose Loves credit is good. Where does the down payment come into play? Or is that just a california thing? Out here, you have to provide a down payment (that is not a loan) Has anyone here considered that perhaps she cannot afford a down payment to purchase a house? Why the hassle?

I'm no real estate expert, but the family I spoke of earlier actually was able to get a loan with no down payment and borrow more than the agreed price since the house appraised for more than that, and used that money for the closing costs. And that was with their poor credit history. They even got a 1 year home waranty in the deal so if anything breaks in the first year, they pay a $25 deductable and the waranty company pays the rest.

btlook1
09-05-2008, 10:58 PM
I understand what you are saying. In the long run though, it is a much better way to go. I did a uick little search and found one property just north of an area you are quite familiar with. Looks like a decent place, 2 bed one bath, 1000 ft on a small lot. @ 0 down, and 6.5% you'd be looking at about $500 a month according to their payment calculator IF you actually paid asking price. (here's a link:
http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?pg=1&cmid=1095209&typ=1&sid=add28a5460914b03a1591aad944665fc&lid=1100985927&lsn=5&srcnt=192#Detail)

Not trying to push, it's just that for a long time I tried to tell myself I didn't need to buy. Now that I own, I wished I had bought years earlier.

Sounds like pretty good advice coming for the pastor!

KcMizzou
09-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Moving sucks so hard.This.

luv
09-05-2008, 11:02 PM
This.

My problem is finding people to help. Especially with a sleeper sofa to get up about 10 stairs.

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 11:05 PM
My problem is finding people to help. Especially with a sleeper sofa to get up about 10 stairs.

That's easy. Go down the rent a center and get a big screen LCD tv. Throw a party Sunday and invite everyone you know over to watch the game. When they get inside and see there isn't enough seating, mention that you do have a couch downstairs they could carry up and put right in front of the TV.

KcMizzou
09-05-2008, 11:07 PM
My problem is finding people to help. Especially with a sleeper sofa to get up about 10 stairs.The last time I moved someone, it was my sister.

It was my brother and I moving everything, while my sis and sis in law did all the pointing and directing. It was August. 105 degrees... we were too hot to drink beer. (no joke) Chugging bottled water.

We lugged shit up and down stairs from 8am to shortly after midnight. (again, no joke) My bro and I seriously considered ditching the last load along side the road. I was sore for days.

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 11:10 PM
The last time I moved someone, it was my sister.

It was my brother and I moving everything, while my sis and sis in law did all the pointing and directing. It was August. 105 degrees... we were too hot to drink beer. (no joke) Chugging bottled water.

We lugged it up and down stairs from 8am to shortly after midnight. (again, no joke) My bro and I seriously considered ditching the last load along side the road. I was sore for days.

Sux to get old doesn't it? I used to be able to do that kind of stuff all day long. Now, 1-2 trips of groceries from the car and I'm hollering at the kids to get the rest of them.

luv
09-05-2008, 11:10 PM
That's easy. Go down the rent a center and get a big screen LCD tv. Throw a party Sunday and invite everyone you know over to watch the game. When they get inside and see there isn't enough seating, mention that you do have a couch downstairs they could carry up and put right in front of the TV.

It's got to go up stairs to leave my apartment. I'm the back side of the building, which is built into a hill. The frontside (along the parking lot) are halfway under the ground.

KcMizzou
09-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Sux to get old doesn't it? I used to be able to do that kind of stuff all day long. Now, 1-2 trips of groceries from the car and I'm hollering at the kids to get the rest of them.Old or young... I seriously think that was a bit much for two guys.

But seriously... never again. Next time, she'd better find some friends. lol

luv
09-05-2008, 11:13 PM
The last time I moved someone, it was my sister.

We lugged shit up and down stairs from 8am to shortly after midnight. (again, no joke) My bro and I seriously considered ditching the last load along side the road. I was sore for days.

I would be moving the last weekend of November. Nice and cool. Pizza and beer included. And the heaviest things I have are the sleeper sofa and washing machine. Convinced yet? :p

stumppy
09-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Unless the sleeper sofa is your only bed the take my advice and get rid of it. Those things are probably the biggest pain in the ass to move there is. Especially in and out of apartments. I gave away the only one I ever owned just so I wouldn't have to deal with it.

KcMizzou
09-05-2008, 11:16 PM
I would be moving the last weekend of November. Nice and cool. Pizza and beer included. And the heaviest things I have are the sleeper sofa and washing machine. Convinced yet? :pIt'd be a hell of a lot easier than that time.

I'm not against helping a friend move... but for ****'s sake... if you've got a ton of heavy shit and it's 105, get more than two guys.

As a side note... when you're tired as shit, hot and in pain... the womanly instructions don't go over very well. By the time it was over my brother Kyle and I were both ready to kill her.

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Say, KCM, I will be hosting a Chiefs Party when they play Oakland in Nov. I'm inviting lots of friends. We will have Pizza and beer. Seating is limited but can be expanded if needed. You In?

Fixed your post.:)

KcMizzou
09-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Fixed your post.:)Now we're talkin'.

You know me too well, Pastor.

luv
09-05-2008, 11:20 PM
It'd be a hell of a lot easier than that time.

I'm not against helping a friend move... but for ****'s sake... if you've got a ton of heavy shit and it's 105, get more than two guys.

As a side note... when you're tired as shit, hot and in pain... the womanly instructions don't go over very well. By the time it was over my brother Kyle and I were both ready to kill her.

I'm very good at knowing where I want things put the first time. :)

I moved over Memorial Day weekend. Me, the ex, and a couple from work. The guys were done loading and unloading in about 5 hours.

luv
09-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Fixed your post.:)

If I moved on Saturday, then I'd be done by Saturday night. I wouldn't expect him to stay until Sunday to watch the game. Maybe there will be a Mizzou game on that day.

luv
09-05-2008, 11:23 PM
BTW, KcMizzou. How old are the boys? Free labor. :)

ChiefsCountry
09-05-2008, 11:23 PM
I just moved first of August. It was horrible, 3 guys - 2 trucks and Jeep on the hottest day of the year. If I wasnt going to school full time, I would buy a house. My one friend who got a job out of high school, bought a house and trailer on the same lot. Rents the house out and lives in the trailer and has a roommate. So basically he has 3 other people paying his mortage and he gets all the equity out of it.

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 11:25 PM
If I moved on Saturday, then I'd be done by Saturday night. I wouldn't expect him to stay until Sunday to watch the game. Maybe there will be a Mizzou game on that day.

:banghead:

You just can't help some people can you.

:D

KcMizzou
09-05-2008, 11:25 PM
BTW, KcMizzou. How old are the boys? Free labor. :)Eh, at that time, they mostly just had to stay out of the way.

Right about now, though... I think it'd be a "life lesson". :)

They seem to think they're pretty tough. :D

luv
09-05-2008, 11:26 PM
:banghead:

You just can't help some people can you.

Well, I have a queen sized sleeper sofa if he needs to crash. He'd have to make sure it got inside first.

KcMizzou
09-05-2008, 11:28 PM
I get the feeling people are plotting against me.

luv
09-05-2008, 11:29 PM

o:-)

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 11:29 PM

Yeah, I was trying to help her get you down there to move her stuff. Now that she has you coming, she's going to work you hard on saturday then send you home before you get to watch the game.

:):)

KcMizzou
09-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Hey man... I just stopped in to agree with how much moving sucks. :D

And then, you know... tell a little story about it.

luv
09-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Yeah, I was trying to help her get you down there to move her stuff. Now that she has you coming, she's going to work you hard on saturday then send you home before you get to watch the game.

:):)

Hey! I offered a Mizzou game. Just as good.

KcMizzou
09-05-2008, 11:35 PM
I'll be going now...

Exit stage left.

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Hey! I offered a Mizzou game. Just as good.

That's the Kansas game. Any MU fan that would drive past the stadium where the game is being played on his way to help someone 4 hours away with moving doesn't deserve to wear black and gold.

luv
09-05-2008, 11:36 PM
I'll be going now...

Exit stage left.

LMAO

I can hear him saying that.

KcMizzou
09-05-2008, 11:37 PM
That's the Kansas game. Any MU fan that would drive past the stadium where the game is being played on his way to help someone 4 hours away with moving doesn't deserve to wear black and gold.Oh hell... it is? I have a ticket to that game. Paid more than I'd care to admit for it, to be honest.

KcMizzou
09-05-2008, 11:38 PM
LMAO

I can hear him saying that.That's why it's cool. ;)

luv
09-05-2008, 11:38 PM
That's the Kansas game. Any MU fan that would drive past the stadium where the game is being played on his way to help someone 4 hours away with moving doesn't deserve to wear black and gold.

He'd be driving by that morning. We'll be done moving before the game comes on.

What are YOU doing that weekend? :hmmm:

luv
09-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Oh hell... it is? I have a ticket to that game. Paid more than I'd care to admit for it, to be honest.

Well, damn.

KcMizzou
09-05-2008, 11:39 PM

What are YOU doing that weekend? :hmmm:An excellent question, IMO.

PastorMikH
09-05-2008, 11:42 PM

What are YOU doing that weekend? :hmmm:

Lets see, I'll be watching the game. Then making copies of the game to send all my wife's family in Kansas for Christmas, just like last year.

Actually, that is thanksgiving weekend. I may have to take time off to sit with those kansas fans and laugh at them, reminding them of the trash I listened too for the three days leading up to the game.

If I did make the trip, I'd probably end up hanging out with someone cool instead, like your dad.

:)

KcMizzou
09-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Lets see, I'll be watching the game. Then making copies of the game to send all my wife's family in Kansas for Christmas, just like last year.

Actually, that is thanksgiving weekend. I may have to take time off to sit with those kansas fans and laugh at them, reminding them of the trash I listened too for the three days leading up to the game.Weak sauce, Pastor.

Com'on man... that back could use a work out.

All kidding aside, this has been fun... great to see ya again, man.

luv
09-05-2008, 11:44 PM

Actually, that is thanksgiving weekend. I may have to take time off to sit with those kansas fans and laugh at them, reminding them of the trash I listened too for the three days leading up to the game.

If I did make the trip, I'd probably end up hanging out with someone cool instead, like your dad.

:)

I can't argue. I have the coolest, best dad EVAR.

KcMizzou
09-05-2008, 11:46 PM
I can't argue. I have the coolest, best dad EVAR.My dad's cooler than your dad.

luv
09-05-2008, 11:47 PM
My dad's cooler than your dad.

Wanna bet?

KcMizzou
09-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Wanna bet?Heh.. not really... but I'm pretty fond of him.

Ugly Duck
09-05-2008, 11:50 PM
So, I'm thinking about moving.

Move out here to the California coast. You kin get nekid at the beach & I'll be your boyfriend.

luv
09-05-2008, 11:50 PM
Heh.. not really... but I'm pretty fond of him.

Just think, once your boys grow up and realize they really don't know everything, they could say the same thing about you.

KcMizzou
09-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Just think, once your boys grow up and realize they really don't know everything, they could say the same thing about you.I'm counting on it. ;)

luv
09-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Move out here to the California coast. You kin get nekid at the beach & I'll be your boyfriend.

1. No way I'm getting naked in public.
2. That would be one helluva commute to work.

KcMizzou
09-06-2008, 12:01 AM
We're just getting into that "knowing everything" thing though...

They're entering the teenage years soon. The oldest thinks he's smarter than me already, now and then.

Homework usually straights that out. I point out something wrong... he insists that it's right, and in the end, he realizes.

The thing is, though.. pretty soon, he's gonna pass me up. I don't ever do math without a calculator these days.

I've got the edge when it comes to wisdom... life experience. The kid's bright... and popular. I'm not sure he'll listen when it matters. (The high school years)

I beat him often though.. so hopefully that'll help.

Ugly Duck
09-06-2008, 12:07 AM
No way I'm getting naked in public.

Not out in public, silly! At the beach!

luv
09-06-2008, 12:12 AM
We're just getting into that "knowing everything" thing though...

They're entering the teenage years soon. The oldest thinks he's smarter than me already, now and then.

Homework usually straights that out. I point out something wrong... he insists that it's right, and in the end, he realizes.

The thing is, though.. pretty soon, he's gonna pass me up. I don't ever do math without a calculator these days.

I've got the edge when it comes to wisdom... life experience. The kid's bright... and popular. I'm not sure he'll listen when it matters. (The high school years)

I beat him often though.. so hopefully that'll help.

I can only go by how my older brother was. If he's anything like him, then you're in for a hard time. Of course, my brother still hasn't learned.

You won't always have the upper hand. Once they pass you in "book smarts", it's only a matter of time before you have to let them learn the "street smarts" for themselves. I would think that would be the hard part. And your kids may not always reflect well on you.

I'm sure you already know all that. What would I know about parenting, anyway.

PastorMikH
09-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Sorry, got detained in another thread.

It is amazing how smart teenagers think they are. I have two in their teens now. It's like they think I never went to High School or something.

PastorMikH
09-06-2008, 12:20 AM

Luv, he's a raiderfan. He's probably posting this from his cell. Be careful

Mojo Rising
09-06-2008, 01:53 AM
Not out in public, silly! At the beach!

Dillons Beach (the closest beach to Petaluma) is way too cold to wear less than a sweatshirt. Plus, it is full of thugs. A guy got beat to deathe there last Summer.

Don't listen to the Raider fan.

badgirl
09-06-2008, 04:25 AM

To me it seems 1 bdrms doesn't have any style, I lived in one for almost 2 years and I got tired of not having a porch or yard. I like to mow and do yardwork in the summer and I only had a "asphalt" yard. I hated it. I will never move into a one bedroom again, some may like it, you may like it, its just me personally and my experience with one. Mine was walk in the front door to the livingroom, then like a straight line came the kitchen and then the bedroom, the bathroom was off my bedroom. I hope you like your place. Good Luck.:)

Saulbadguy
09-06-2008, 05:42 AM
When I was 21 I bought a condo for under 40K, 900 sq feet. Payments were $325 + $170 HOA fee, which included water, trash, extended cable, landscaping/lawn care, snow removal, etc. Lived there for 5 years and sold it for 51k. The only problems I had was a blown fuse in the AC unit and a leaky pipe, both didn't cost that much. I had no down payment.

Moving along though...don't let your friends drink while moving. Give them beer afterwards.

Fairplay
09-06-2008, 05:51 AM
Moving along though...don't let your friends drink while moving. Give them beer afterwards.

I remember when this girl was moving, she needed more guys to help her. I said be sure and say they will be getting beer and pizza for helping you.

I show up to move her. 5 dudes were all drinking beer and eating pizza, then they were hardly motivated to move her after that.
I pulled her aside and told her you give them pizza and beer after you are all moved in.

Stewie
09-06-2008, 06:24 AM
I lived in an apartment many years ago about the size of the one bedroom you're looking at. It was OK, but really cramped, especially the kitchen. They gave it a euphemism like "step-saver kitchen." I stayed in that apt. for about six months and moved to a 2-bedroom. I'd stay where you are. If you're worried about money get rid of the cat. I'm sure there's a Chinese restaurant around you somewhere.

luv
09-06-2008, 07:44 AM
When I was 21 I bought a condo for under 40K, 900 sq feet. Payments were $325 + $170 HOA fee, which included water, trash, extended cable, landscaping/lawn care, snow removal, etc. Lived there for 5 years and sold it for 51k. The only problems I had was a blown fuse in the AC unit and a leaky pipe, both didn't cost that much. I had no down payment.

If we had condos, I'd be all over that.

Smed1065
09-06-2008, 07:49 AM
To me it seems 1 bdrms doesn't have any style, I lived in one for almost 2 years and I got tired of not having a porch or yard. I like to mow and do yardwork in the summer and I only had a "asphalt" yard. I hated it. I will never move into a one bedroom again, some may like it, you may like it, its just me personally and my experience with one. Mine was walk in the front door to the livingroom, then like a straight line came the kitchen and then the bedroom, the bathroom was off my bedroom. I hope you like your place. Good Luck.:)

Moving for a $20 improvement to a less space apartment?

Seems the cost of moving is offset?

They have a pet fee added as well.

Unless a change is in order, I see no pros.

IMO.

luv
09-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Moving for a $20 improvement to a less space apartment?

Seems the cost of moving is offset?

They have a pet fee added as well.

Unless a change is in order, I see no pros.

IMO.

Okay. I responded once before you posted this for the second time, so listen closely. I'll talk slow.

My rent and pet fee here come to $685.
My rent and pet fee there will come to $635.
That's $50, not $20.

Yes, there's a $200 deposit for me, and a $200 deposit for my cat. Guess what. I've made that money back in 8 months with the $50 savings.

It may be smaller than a two bedroom, but I don't need the extra bedroom. And they're brand new.

I am about 1/3 of the way closer to work, so that's 1/3 less gas I'll be using. Again, saving money.

I'll have 780 sq ft to heat/cool, as opposed to 1080 sq ft. AGAIN, saving money.

I hate yard work. I don't want to worry about paying people to fix stuff. I like having neighbors close living by myself.

Either find a new arguement, or just shut up. You said the exact same thing (which is incorrect) THREE TIMES. I think you've made your point.

Smed1065
09-06-2008, 08:11 AM
Okay. I responded once before you posted this for the second time, so listen closely. I'll talk slow.

My rent and pet fee here come to $685.
My rent and pet fee there will come to $635.
That's $50, not $20.

Yes, there's a $200 deposit for me, and a $200 deposit for my cat. Guess what. I've made that money back in 8 months with the $50 savings.

It may be smaller than a two bedroom, but I don't need the extra bedroom. And they're brand new.

OMG. Life is choices and I made a few bad ones but you do make me feel better.

TY.

I am about 1/3 of the way closer to work, so that's 1/3 less gas I'll be using. Again, saving money.

I'll have 780 sq ft to heat/cool, as opposed to 1080 sq ft. AGAIN, saving money.

Go for it. Nice, like your men...choices.

I hate yard work. I don't want to worry about paying people to fix stuff. I like having neighbors close living by myself.

Either find a new arguement, or just shut up. You said the exact same thing (which is incorrect) THREE TIMES. I think you've made your point.

Sorry but the moving and expenses to a smaller place offset that? wow. 1/2 of a mile? Wow .50 a day of work?

Go for it.... Nice choice like relationships, at least you can start another thread in 2 days.

You need to get with claython.

luv
09-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Sorry but the moving and expenses to a smaller place offset that?

It's about 1-2 miles from where I'm at now. The truck rental place is about 3 miles from here. Last time I moved. The truck cost me $27. I think I can handle that. Otherwise, the only "expense" will be the pizza and beer for the two people who will probaby help me. I'm not worried about actual moving expenses.

Smed1065
09-06-2008, 08:24 AM
It's about 1-2 miles from where I'm at now. The truck rental place is about 3 miles from here. Last time I moved. The truck cost me $27. I think I can handle that. Otherwise, the only "expense" will be the pizza and beer for the two people who will probaby help me. I'm not worried about actual moving expenses.

I am great and every guys suck. I am single for a reason. they suck, not me?

I use to give you the benefit but you are stupid, IMO. Iggy now.

Karma.. and common sense.

Fairplay
09-06-2008, 08:59 AM
She will post another thread saying she is getting ready to move.

Then another thread saying that she is moving.

Then another thread saying shes moved in her new apartment.

That's what she did last time she moved.

I might as well make a thread saying every time i have a bowel movement.

Smed1065
09-06-2008, 09:05 AM
She will post another thread saying she is getting ready to move.

Then another thread saying that she is moving.

Then another thread saying shes moved in her new apartment.

That's what she did last time she moved.

I might as well make a thread saying every time i have a bowel movement.

Damn, So I am not the only one thinking she is claython 2?

Fairplay
09-06-2008, 09:10 AM
She always has to post everything going on in her life.

If anyone on here was considering dating her on this board. Prepare for a play by play posted on this forum for all to see.

How embarrassing. You have to keep some things to yourself.

You post stupid stuff get ready for people to say things you don't want to hear. Or get ridiculed.

I'll have the worlds smallest violin playing in the meantime.

Skip Towne
09-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Damn, So I am not the only one thinking she is claython 2?

Have't you heard? They are going to hook up.

Smed1065
09-06-2008, 09:16 AM

I wish so there would be half the "see me" threads...

luv
09-06-2008, 09:20 AM
I am great and every guys suck. I am single for a reason. they suck, not me?

I use to give you the benefit but you are stupid, IMO. Iggy now.

Karma.. and common sense.

WTF are you talking about?

Saulbadguy
09-06-2008, 09:44 AM
If we had condos, I'd be all over that.

I find it hard to believe there are no condos or townhomes in the city the size of Springfield.

Saulbadguy
09-06-2008, 09:46 AM

Skip, I love you, in a totally platonic manner.

luv
09-06-2008, 09:48 AM
I find it hard to believe there are no condos or townhomes in the city the size of Springfield.

I think there are condos for sale down in Branson. Anything that I've found here like that have always been for rent. There are lofts downtown. I haven't really checked into those. I believe they're also for rent, but, again, I'm not sure about those.

Saulbadguy
09-06-2008, 09:50 AM
I think there are condos for sale down in Branson. Anything that I've found here like that have always been for rent. There are lofts downtown. I haven't really checked into those. I believe they're also for rent, but, again, I'm not sure about those.

Call a realtor. Even if you think you are right, i'd like to hear what a realtor in Springfield has to say. Just tell them what you are looking for. Even if you don't plan on buying, get a little knowledge of the process in your head. Just think about all the money you have wasted renting, that should be a motivating factor.

Condos, duplex, townhomes are usually maintenance free, so the exterior is covered. The only thing you have to worry about for the most part is the interior.

luv
09-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Call a realtor. Even if you think you are right, i'd like to hear what a realtor in Springfield has to say. Just tell them what you are looking for. Even if you don't plan on buying, get a little knowledge of the process in your head. Just think about all the money you have wasted renting, that should be a motivating factor.

Condos, duplex, townhomes are usually maintenance free, so the exterior is covered. The only thing you have to worry about for the most part is the interior.

Which would be perfect for me. I'd love to own something that I could make real cosmetic changes to.

I'll call a realtor next week and do some research online.

Saulbadguy
09-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Which would be perfect for me. I'd love to own something that I could make real cosmetic changes to.

I'll call a realtor next week and do some research online.

You can do anything you want to the interior of the place, knock out a wall, put shag carpeting on the ceiling - whatever.

However they are pretty strict on what you do to the exterior. Fortunately, if anything goes wrong with the exterior, they fix it. This includes the roof, the foundation - you know, the real costly shit.

If your furnace, AC, plumbing goes bad, it is on you. Those are probably the most costly things you'd have to deal with if you bought a condo. I'd demand that the seller include a home warranty that will cover all that shit for the first year, and try to find out how old the stuff is.

The only disadvantage IMO is sometimes they can be hard to sell. I got lucky with mine, but it varies.

Skip Towne
09-06-2008, 10:03 AM

I agree. See post #22. I think she has a pretty good job but to waste 8 grand per year on rent is a luxury she can't afford.

luv
09-06-2008, 10:04 AM
You can do anything you want to the interior of the place, knock out a wall, put shag carpeting on the ceiling - whatever.

However they are pretty strict on what you do to the exterior. Fortunately, if anything goes wrong with the exterior, they fix it. This includes the roof, the foundation - you know, the real costly shit.

If your furnace, AC, plumbing goes bad, it is on you. Those are probably the most costly things you'd have to deal with if you bought a condo. I'd demand that the seller include a home warranty that will cover all that shit for the first year, and try to find out how old the stuff is.

The only disadvantage IMO is sometimes they can be hard to sell. I got lucky with mine, but it varies.

http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?source=a15696&zp=65807&mxp=17&typ=2&sid=2e9a9fa6dda64ac583ca2c9afcf398e7&lid=1099979369&lsn=4&srcnt=6#Detail

This complex has a few ranging from $86,900-$100,000.

I always thought these were for rent, since I'd never heard of anything advertised for condos/townhomes.

luv
09-06-2008, 10:09 AM
I found one more complex in a slightly different part of town. Prices are similar to the other one. Looks like the median for townhomes here, in an area of town I'm comfortable living in, is $95,000.

I'm glad I started this thread. I don't want a house, but I didn't realize there we actually have townhomes for sale in this area.

luv
09-06-2008, 10:21 AM
I know this will sound really stupid, but I'm sure you all are used to that from me....

Part of me is scared of going into such a major purchase by myself. I can afford the place, but it's still the thought of paying for all of the utilities, cable, internet, etc on top of that. I'm working on paying off debt, so maybe I should wait and make this a goal for about three years from now. I can get stuff paid off and improve my credit. I'd rather wait a few years and qualify for a lower percentage rate than be stuck with a higher percentage rate for 20-30 years.

Skip Towne
09-06-2008, 10:42 AM
I know this will sound really stupid, but I'm sure you all are used to that from me....

Part of me is scared of going into such a major purchase by myself. I can afford the place, but it's still the thought of paying for all of the utilities, cable, internet, etc on top of that. I'm working on paying off debt, so maybe I should wait and make this a goal for about three years from now. I can get stuff paid off and improve my credit. I'd rather wait a few years and qualify for a lower percentage rate than be stuck with a higher percentage rate for 20-30 years.

Find something cheaper. Saul started with one in the 40's.

Saulbadguy
09-06-2008, 11:09 AM

A) You don't know what percentage rate you will qualify for. Go to a few banks and get prequalified. It costs nothing and does not affect your credit adversely.

B) You won't be stuck with a higher % rate - you can always re-finance a few years down the road.

C) You can check to see how much the average utilties are for any residence.

Saulbadguy
09-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Does this apartment cover ALL utilities? Add up everything, and then find a price range you are comfortable with a house. A bank should be able to tell you a ball park estimate of what your monthly payment would be. FWIW I paid 40k and my monthly payment was 325. That is including taxes.

|Zach|
09-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks for some of the info folks, I am pretty close to getting there.

rad
09-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Find something cheaper. Saul started with one in the 40's.

Yeah, but how long ago? You can't find one now for that.

Saulbadguy
09-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Yeah, but how long ago? You can't find one now for that.

This was in 2002. I agree - I sold mine for 51k in 2007. However the prices have stabilized since then.

Bearcat
09-06-2008, 12:00 PM
I'd think Springfield would be a little cheaper, but what do I know (and I haven't really read the whole thread)... not that I care what you're spending on rent, but I've seen places for quite a bit less that are 5 blocks from the P&L District in KC that aren't dumps and have decent amenities like underground parking. Just sayin'. ;)

Moving sucks so hard.

Yeah, three times in four years for me, and I might move again next month. Glad I don't have much stuff.

Skip Towne
09-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Point being you don't have to go 6 figures for your first deal.

SAUTO
09-06-2008, 02:13 PM
also check the monthly difference in payment on a 30 yr note vs a 15 year note. i bought a house from an old guy who told me to finance it for 15 yrs. my buddy bought a house for an identical price 2 months later with a 30 year note. my payment is $110 a month more, but for 15 YEARS LESS. saves a lot of money. what is $110 a month? dont eat out a couple of times and thats covered

PastorMikH
09-06-2008, 03:14 PM

That's three years of throwing rent money away - $22,850 worth in the 1 bedroom apt. That could be building equity in a purchase. Also, rent may go up every year or two, your home payment will stay the same unless you refinance or miss payments. Look for something in the $50k-$60k range and you will free up some decent $ to help with the other bills.

Fairplay
09-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Also, rent may go up every year or two, your home payment will stay the same unless you refinance or miss payments.

Or your property taxes get jacked up, like mine.

Smed1065
09-06-2008, 03:41 PM
WTF are you talking about?

Your "life" LOL.

Hook up with Clay is too good for you. U seem better. Good riddence...

Dumb, stupid and riddance Jason double.....

PastorMikH
09-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Or your property taxes get jacked up, like mine.

They only go up the equivalent of 1 Big Mac*.

*now, that may be 1 Big Mac a month, one a week, one a day, or on every hour.

Smed1065
09-06-2008, 04:43 PM
I want to save 30 dollars cause it is cheaper. You use to seem ok but come off as STUPID.

No WONDER commercials are lame, they market to idiots.

KcMizzou
09-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Smed's gone off his meds again.

luv
09-06-2008, 08:36 PM
That's three years of throwing rent money away - $22,850 worth in the 1 bedroom apt. That could be building equity in a purchase. Also, rent may go up every year or two, your home payment will stay the same unless you refinance or miss payments. Look for something in the $50k-$60k range and you will free up some decent $ to help with the other bills.

I found a townhouse in a good area for $88,000. I'm getting there. :)

cdcox
09-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Luv, if you do go the townhouse/condo route, I strongly recommend a fixed rate loan. That way you'll know exaclty how much your housing expenses will be for the next 30 years. With an ARM, you have no idea what your payment will be in 5 years.

luv
09-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Luv, if you do go the townhouse/condo route, I strongly recommend a fixed rate loan. That way you'll know exaclty how much your housing expenses will be for the next 30 years. With an ARM, you have no idea what your payment will be in 5 years.

Couldn't I do that, and then refinance in five years?

cdcox
09-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Couldn't I do that, and then refinance in five years?

Sure, but the fixed rate will always be a point or so higher than the ARM.

So you are always going to have to bite the bullet to get a fixed. Rates are still historically good. If in 3 years the ARM goes up a point, so does the fixed. If ARM interest rates go up to 8%, you'll have to pay 9% for a fixed, when you could lock in a good rate on a fixed now and guarantee it for the next 30 years. If you can get a fixed loan payment that you can afford now, you'll have the peace of mind that you will be able to afford your loan payment in the future, regardless of what interest rates do in the future.

luv
09-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Sure, but the fixed rate will always be a point or so higher than the ARM.

So you are always going to have to bite the bullet to get a fixed. Rates are still historically good. If in 3 years the ARM goes up a point, so does the fixed. If ARM interest rates go up to 8%, you'll have to pay 9% for a fixed, when you could lock in a good rate on a fixed now and guarantee it for the next 30 years. If you can get a fixed loan payment that you can afford now, you'll have the peace of mind that you will be able to afford your loan payment in the future, regardless of what interest rates do in the future.

I know that interest rates on car loans are based on your credit rating. Isn't it the same when buying a home? If my credit is better in five years, can I see if it would be worth it to refinance then as well?

cdcox
09-06-2008, 09:25 PM
I know that interest rates on car loans are based on your credit rating. Isn't it the same when buying a home? If my credit is better in five years, can I see if it would be worth it to refinance then as well?

You can always refinance a fixed rate too.

The temporal economy is the biggest factor in determining interest rates. Bigger than fixed vs ARM. Bigger than bad credit vs good credit. In the late '70s home interest rates were over 15%. That was a historic high. I'd bet on rates exceeding 10% again in my life time. It is just the way things work, given enought time.

Ugly Duck
09-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Dillons Beach (the closest beach to Petaluma) is way too cold to wear less than a sweatshirt.

It was 74 at Dillon today with almost zero breeze and no fog. Most crowded I've ever seen it because they closed Stinson Beach due to Great White Shark sightings. Bikinis everywhere.

Saulbadguy
09-06-2008, 09:56 PM

Interest rates are based on the banks rates. Different banks have different rates. Try to find the best rate with little or no "points". Also you may check in to an FHA loan since you are a first time home buyer. I can't explain FHA as well as others can on here but it you can get in to a home with little to no down payment.

Oh, and like cdcox said, no ARM, go fixed rate.

And IMO, you don't need an $88k home. Shoot lower. I wouldn't go above $70k in your situation and even that is pushing it.

luv
09-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Interest rates are based on the banks rates. Different banks have different rates. Try to find the best rate with little or no "points". Also you may check in to an FHA loan since you are a first time home buyer. I can't explain FHA as well as others can on here but it you can get in to a home with little to no down payment.

Oh, and like cdcox said, no ARM, go fixed rate.

And IMO, you don't need an $88k home. Shoot lower. I wouldn't go above $70k in your situation and even that is pushing it.

Yeah. I've been playing around with some mortgage calculators. I can afford a place for about $80-85k, but I wouldn't be able to afford all of the utilities, HOA, etc. I'm aiming for $60-65k. I found a brand one year old place with one bedroom and one bathroom for $79,600. It's in a not-so-desirable part of town. I'll keep looking though. I know that this would be the way I'd want to go right now.

Groves
09-06-2008, 10:19 PM
I know that interest rates on car loans are based on your credit rating. Isn't it the same when buying a home?

The way you need to think about this is...no.

luv
09-06-2008, 10:22 PM
The way you need to think about this is...no.

Hey! I still have something that belongs to you.