PDA

View Full Version : Football The trees finally come down for the new Cal Berkeley athletic complex

Mojo Rising
09-05-2008, 09:43 PM
These protestors, the majority not even students at Cal (it's hard to attend class from a tree) have been there for 2 years. Crews wil be working all weekend to cut down every tree they can before the court opens on Monday.

These protestors threw fesces and urine on workers last month. I will be glad when this is over and Cal finally will have an adequate facility. The NFL stadiums in the Bay Area are the bottom 3 in the NFL. Cal's is worse.

To make things interesting The Dave Matthews Band is playing at The Greek Theatre on campus. I can hear his protests now to his likely left audience. Keep in mind his tour bus dumped their latrine in a river while leaving Chicago.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/05/BAEE12P1DP.DTL

UC Berkeley today began clearing the Memorial Stadium oak grove where tree-sitting protesters have been camped for nearly two years in an attempt to block construction of a sports training facility there.

Arborists wielding saws began thinning a portion of the grove as several dozen protesters shouted from the median on nearby Piedmont Avenue. The action came a day after a state appeals court refused two groups' request to stop the project.

"It's surreal to see the grove finally be cut down, after so much energy and effort and spirit was put into protecting it," said Daria Garina, a UC Berkeley junior and supporter of the tree-sitters. "It's tragic and awful."

Workers in two cherry-pickers stripped most of the branches off the redwood where the tree-sitters reside, while the protesters swatted them with sticks.

A worker was struck on the head by a bottle from the tree-sitters' perch but was able to continue trimming, officials said.

UC plans to remove some of the larger trees today but has no immediate plans to forcibly remove the four remaining tree-sitters, campus spokesman Dan Mogulof said.

A group of oak tree advocates and a Berkeley Hills neighborhood group planned to appeal the decision to the California Supreme Court.

Coach
09-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Why don't they round up the protesters and have them shot? I mean, it is Kalifornia after all. :shrug:

Mojo Rising
09-05-2008, 10:05 PM
What? California is protest friendly. That is why I am so happy to see the administration stand up to this nuisance.

They will cut down all of the trees around them though and leave the 4 protestors left in a single tree....then send Arnold in. The Governator.

BTW, the University is planting 4 trees for every 1 it cuts down.

Al Bundy
09-05-2008, 11:10 PM
These are the same people who have bumperstickers that say "Hug a tree, not a person" or "My other car is my bike". Screw them.... drop them off the golden gate.

mikey23545
09-06-2008, 12:30 AM
These people are the reason automatic weapons were invented.

Mojo Rising
09-06-2008, 12:34 AM
These are the same people who have bumperstickers that say "Hug a tree, not a person" or "My other car is my bike". Screw them.... drop them off the golden gate.

Bumperstickers? These freaks don't have a bumper to put a sticker on.

They do not go to the school but they feel compelled to go on the campus and impose their views.

It is much like when the Iraq war started and everyone not from SF decided to come to SF to protest. They blocked our traffic and drove our police budget through the roof.

I wish they would have stayed in Davis or Chico or Berkeley and protested there.

Today is a victory for football fans over ridiculous environmentalists.

Tedford (Cal Coach) was a hot commodity and he stayed with Cal because of the opportunity for improved facilities. Cal realizes that football pays for all of the other sports and did their best to keep a successful program.

I applaud their decision to support football over the protestors.

KcMizzou
09-06-2008, 12:37 AM
BTW, the University is planting 4 trees for every 1 it cuts down.Ah, Ted Nugent style.

I can't help but like that guy.

KcMizzou
09-06-2008, 12:39 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XL5-KEeX0eg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XL5-KEeX0eg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mojo Rising
09-06-2008, 12:52 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XL5-KEeX0eg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XL5-KEeX0eg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That was a great connection! UC and Ted Nugent are like 1.

Nugent would be a good enough sport to take the protestors down with a bow instead of a rifle.

Wang, Dang Sweet p........

KcMizzou
09-06-2008, 12:54 AM
That was a great connection! UC and Ted Nugent are like 1.

Nugent would be a good enough sport to take the protestors down with a bow instead of a rifle.

Wang, Dang Sweet p........LMAO

It's a pretty sweet clip. Tells you a lot about what Nugent's all about.

chiefs1111
09-06-2008, 12:56 AM
damn I didnt even know that was still going on. I remember them talking about it last year when watching the Cal vs Tennessee game

Frazod
09-06-2008, 01:18 AM
Give me a free round trip ticket and a decent pellet gun. I'll get those motherf#ckers down. :evil:

Phobia
09-06-2008, 01:22 AM
Give me a free round trip ticket and a decent pellet gun. I'll get those motherf#ckers down. :evil:

There are refrigerators in the trees?

Frazod
09-06-2008, 01:23 AM

I shoot lots of things besides household appliances.

Simplex3
09-06-2008, 01:28 AM

Everybody knows you hunt appliances with a large caliber pistol, dumbass.

Frazod
09-06-2008, 01:35 AM

Where the hell have you been?

Mojo Rising
09-06-2008, 01:40 AM

You would need more than a pellet gun to even reach the protestors. Plus, the ones that are still up there are the die hards who have lived in a tree house for 2 years.

Last month the cops put a fence around the base camp so the supporters couldn't send up food and water. It got to the point where the news was interviewing Dr.'s that were explaining how thick your piss was before you would die.

Then they started allowing more water up to the trees.

Fraz. We will need you to go up on the cherry picker with a stun gun or mace. Keep in mind that pi** and shi* will be thrown at you on the way up. Then we need you to apprehend the trespassers and remove them from the lone tree that will be standing.

This will be good TV. Kind of like Survivor.

Phobia
09-06-2008, 01:46 AM
If the "protestors" were removed in the night and relocated to an earthen home would anybody notice?

Chief Henry
09-06-2008, 06:55 AM
dam, it seams like I saw report about them one year ago. I forgot all about those
Barry supporters and what they were doing in the tree's. Didn't thye take a large group photo at one time when all the people in it were nude. It just seams like it was passed around in an email !

Al Bundy
09-06-2008, 07:09 AM
Bumperstickers? These freaks don't have a bumper to put a sticker on.

They do not go to the school but they feel compelled to go on the campus and impose their views.

It is much like when the Iraq war started and everyone not from SF decided to come to SF to protest. They blocked our traffic and drove our police budget through the roof.

I wish they would have stayed in Davis or Chico or Berkeley and protested there.

Today is a victory for football fans over ridiculous environmentalists.

Tedford (Cal Coach) was a hot commodity and he stayed with Cal because of the opportunity for improved facilities. Cal realizes that football pays for all of the other sports and did their best to keep a successful program.

I applaud their decision to support football over the protestors.

I understand that... it was more of a joke than anything. I know that most of those people probably dont own cars and simply walk/ride a bike to wherever they need to go... it was just more of a "If they had a car" type of thing.

alanm
09-06-2008, 07:47 AM
These people are the reason automatic weapons were invented.
ROFL:LOL:ROFL

blueballs
09-06-2008, 11:07 AM
I hope they can clone those trees one day