PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chan Gailey

FAX
09-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Here's a question for you peeps on the eve of the eve of our first game with the mysterious and inscrutable Chan at the offensive helm ... do you believe he has what it takes to field an effective, productive offense for us?

He's done it before. And, his critics notwithstanding, he's used some interesting plays to generate actual, real NFL wins. Then again, some people say he's Herm Lite and that he thinks you can win by boring the enemy to death.

He's brought the boot and the rollout to KC. He's brought the audible to KC. He's brought the cutback run/zone blocking scheme to KC. He's stated that we have the players necessary to compete. Word is that he can adjust to what the enemy is doing and the fabulous, new, simplified offense allows the players to execute on those adjustments.

What say you, Planeteers? Do you believe?

FAX

Disclaimers: Sorry if repost.

Silock
09-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Yes.

DaneMcCloud
09-06-2008, 06:52 PM
I believe that he will eventually, but the lack of talent and depth on the offensive line and at the WR position will make for a difficult season.

But Chan's certainly qualified and I fully expect him to get the Chiefs into the top 10, possibly as soon as next season (depending on the draft/free agency and the QB position).

FAX
09-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Hmmm. You raise a very interesting point there, Mr. DaneMcCloud.

I don't want to see this thread turn into another downer party where the Debbies come out to hammer Croyle for whatever reason. This is about our OC. Nevertheless, what we've heard about the Chiefs' commitment to Croyle has mainly come from Herm.

It was Herm who said, "He's our quarterback." And, if memory serves, he was saying that before Gailey was hired. I don't have the exact timing down, but obviously, we didn't look at QBs in the draft or in FA during the off-season.

I mention this because Gailey took the job knowing that Croyle was his guy for better or for worse. Could we have picked up somebody else during the off-season if Gailey was concerned? I think we might have been able to ... there were several QBs looking for work. Point being - if the mysterious and inscrutable Chan is really a competitive, professional, NFL-caliber OC and knows full well what he wants and requires out of the QB position, why not trust his judgement on Croyle to run his offense?

FAX

BigVE
09-06-2008, 07:13 PM
After what we saw last year Gailey is going to look like Al Saunders in his prime.

FAX
09-06-2008, 07:18 PM
After what we saw last year Gailey is going to look like Al Saunders in his prime.

That's sort of what I'm thinking, Mr. BigVE. You know, it's been two years since we had an OC who thought with something other than his ass. I can barely remember what it was like not to be able to predict the next play. And, who knows what these kids can do if they're not asked to run the ball up the right guard's sore anus on every down?

I am very interested to see how Gailey calls this game on Sunday. I think it tell us a lot about where this team is headed in terms of wins and losses. A good OC can make a hell of a difference.

FAX

DaneMcCloud
09-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Hmmm. You raise a very interesting point there, Mr. DaneMcCloud.

I don't want to see this thread turn into another downer party where the Debbies come out to hammer Croyle for whatever reason. This is about our OC. Nevertheless, what we've heard about the Chiefs' commitment to Croyle has mainly come from Herm.

FAX

Mr. FAX,

I didn't mention the QB's name for that reason. I think that Gailey's an excellent offensive coordinator and if there's sufficient talent, the Chiefs will have a good offense. If there's better than average talent, I think Gailey will field a top 10 offense.

I think the Chiefs are in above average at running back and tight end. I think they're average at receiver (if they had a proven guy across from Bowe, I'd say above average). At the offensive line, I'd have to go with below average at this point. And at QB, the honest answer is that I just don't know.

If the young guys on the line stay healthy and play a full 16 games this year, next year could be a very good year. But again, the QB position may still be a question.

Or not.

King_Chief_Fan
09-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Herm will give Chan short reins

JuicesFlowing
09-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Chan is miles ahead of where Solari was last season ... Of course I don't have any evidence in "real" games, but I'm confident that will be proven to be true soon.

FAX
09-06-2008, 07:39 PM
We are sympatico, Mr. DaneMcCloud.

For what it's worth, the only place I might depart from your analysis is that I'm not sure we're close to above "average" at the WR position. Maybe we are, but even if we had someone equal to Bowe on the other side in terms of talent, we don't have sufficient experience, yet. You see that experience vacuum in the fact that our receivers (including Bowe) seem to be having difficulty getting separation and creating targets for the QB - at least, when it comes to the routes we're running during the pre-season.

That's one of the areas in which I look for Gailey to help us, though. If he's worth his salt, he can bring formations, personnel, or plays that capitalize on specific defensive weaknesses that become apparent as a particular game unfolds. Or, he can find ways to create advantageous matchups. It would really be refreshing to see us actually make an adjustment on offense. Any of that is helpful and would, unquestionably, help the WR corp improve.

FAX

FAX
09-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Herm will give Chan short reins

Another very serious worry.

Peeps say that the mysterious and inscrutable Chan doesn't take crap though, Mr. King_Chief_Fan. Peeps say he'll stand up for himself. Peeps say he'll bust a damn Pepsi bottle on Herm's head if he isn't careful.

FAX

Reerun_KC
09-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Chan is miles ahead of where Herm woudl allow Solari was last season ... Of course I don't have any evidence in "real" games, but I'm confident that will be proven to be true soon.

It all depends on Herm.. Solari was the scape goat last year, everyone is so quick to punish Solari for running Herms bullshit offense...

IF and that is a big IF, Herm allows Chan to run what Chan wants, this system will be successful, but the moment Herm meddles with it, you will see the r2p2 offense that Solari was FORCED TO RUN AT HERM POINT!

Solari is miles ahead of the bus driver when it comes to offense...

cdcox
09-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Another very serious worry.

Peeps say that the mysterious and inscrutable Chan doesn't take crap though, Mr. King_Chief_Fan. Peeps say he'll stand up for himself. Peeps say he'll bust a damn Pepsi bottle on Herm's head if he isn't careful.

FAX

If it weren 't for Herm hanging around the sideline, I would have raised my vote from Noppers to Maybes.

Too bad Chan isn't on the sideline. I'd like to see a confrontation.

chasedude
09-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Well it'll be worth a watch to see what ol' Chan can come up with.

BigRock
09-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Through four preseason games, Gailey is clearly better than Solari at... basically everything. But specifically at making adjustments. Not ramming his head against the wall by continuing to run the ball over and over for no gain. Figuring out that it might be wise to roll the QB out of the pocket given that the offensive line is questionable. Not being so predictable that Tony Gonzalez can hear linebackers calling out his route before the snap (as Tony said happened last year).

But Gailey isn't a magician. If the offensive line still can't open holes, there isn't a special formula that's going to lead to a streak of 100 yard rushing games. If they can't pass protect, there's no secret plays that will let Brodie have time to throw the ball downfield.

The fact that he's an actual, competent offensive coordinator should prevent us from being ranked at the bottom of the league in offense again. But the mental portion of the game is only going to help to a certain point if the guys just can't get it done.

RJ
09-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Ch-ch-ch- ch -Chan
Turn and face the strange
Ch-ch-ch Gailey
Oh look out you three and outers

Time may change me
But you can't change Chan

cdcox
09-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Ch-ch-ch- ch -Chan
Turn and face the strange
Ch-ch-ch Gailey
Oh look out you three and outers

Time may change me
But you can't change Chan

LMAO

Tiger's Fan
09-06-2008, 10:28 PM
2-0 Georgia Tech is very happy Chan Gailey is our OC.

Chiefaholic
09-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Chan can only use what's made available to him through Herm and Carl. I look for him to adapt the offense to our strengths as the season progresses and push for more talent and depth on the O-Line this offseason. It all begins in the trenches, and Chan doesn't have alot to work with.

DaKCMan AP
09-06-2008, 10:33 PM
If Chan can field a middle-of-the-league offense with Jay Fiedler, Lamar Smith and Oronde Gadsden as his primary weapons I'm fairly confident he can get the job done with Brodie, LJ, Bowe and Gonzo.

FAX
09-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Well, that's pretty interesting. The vast majority of the fabled Planeteers are either kind of semi-positive or very, very, really positive about the mysterious and inscrutable Chan's impact on the team. To me, he's (with apologies to Dante) the x-factor this year.

The game today will be as much a test of Gailey's abilities as it will be for the players. I'm very excited to find out just how well he stacks up against the Pats' brain trust ... especially since they don't have the foggiest clue what we're going to do or how we're going to do it.

Go Chiefs!

FAX

CosmicPal
09-06-2008, 11:59 PM
I like the changes he's implemented during the pre-season and I like how he's using the strength's and weaknesses of the offensive players.

I'm afraid Sunday's game might actually revert back to conventional offensive football due to the weather and we might have to actually wait until the second week before we can see the gist of his game-plan

KCJohnny
09-07-2008, 04:14 AM
Chan will get max production from this O, but keep your expectations modest. This is still a patchwork, makeshift OL and Croyle is still pretty raw. But its OK. We're deep at RB.
:D

FAX
09-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Chan Radio Interview:

Paraphrased slightly (with apologies to the mysterious and inscrutable Chan) ...

How is the offense coming along?

"We have a better idea of who we are."
"Line hasn't been together enough."
"I don't know who we are yet."
"We have talent, speed."
"But, we're a work in progress."

How do you put together a gameplan?

"Determining what's the best combination, plays, routes for these particular guys ... "
"Part of job is to put plays together that match the talent on the field."
"Oline has to be able to do everything ... RB/PB."

Whats it like to work with so much youth and inexperience?

"Exciting to work with young guys."
"Progress slower than I anticipated or hoped."
"Interested to see how we evolve as season unfolds."
"We'll get better game to game."

How did you prepare for this game?

"I have ideas about how I want to start the game."
"Looking to see how they are playing us."
"We'll adjust blocking schemes, route schemes."
"Somewhat of a chess match."
"Hopefully will make adjustments."

How do you feel about their D?

"3/4 can be tough to game plan against."
"Pats have really tough/strong front 7."
"3/4 creates problems but we've had an extra couple of weeks to prepare."
"We'll be okay."

FAX

chasedude
09-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Chan Radio Interview:

Paraphrased slightly (with apologies to the mysterious and inscrutable Chan) ...

How is the offense coming along?

"We have a better idea of who we are."
"Line hasn't been together enough."
"I don't know who we are yet."
"We have talent, speed."
"But, we're a work in progress."

FAX

:spock:ROFL

FAX
09-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Yeah ... he was saying that they have more work to do before they discover (talent-wise) their true identity and competency as an offense. In other words, we've made progress in that regard, but he still doesn't know exactly what they're ultimately capable of.

FAX

FAX
09-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Lenny is interviewing that ex-goat coach. Impressed with Croyle. Saying Croyle has everything you look for in a quarterback ... arm, mobility, size, intelligence, and accuracy. According to him, Croyle's 6 TDs/6 INTs isn't bad at all given his experience. His keys are; 1) Don't take a sack and 2) Don't turn the ball over. Says Gailey really likes him.

He says that if we can get the run game going to take the pressure off Croyle and not give NE a short field with turnovers, we have a great chance of winning this game.

FAX

MichaelH
09-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Anything is better than Solari's offense. I am excited to see how they play but know that he's still under "You shouldn't score more than 9 points to win Hermie".

whoman69
09-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Here's another choice. Chan doesn't matter because in the end he is only running what Herm wants to put out there.

cdcox
09-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Chan Gailori is in the house.

FringeNC
09-07-2008, 12:01 PM
I gave Gailey the benefit of the doubt that'd he have the balls to tell Herm to **** off. Evidently, not.

teedubya
09-07-2008, 12:14 PM
You mean, Chan Solari?

JuicesFlowing
09-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Gailey's Chicago performance was a mirage. Jesus Christ.

Ultra Peanut
09-07-2008, 12:46 PM
BREAKING: Chiefs' consecutive run up the gut streak SNAPPED at 7! We'll have more on this story as it develops, now back to the game!

teedubya
09-07-2008, 12:51 PM
The defense can't played energized the whole game, if the Offense is so obviously shitty.