PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whitlock: Chiefs suffer from lack of respect, not motivation

Hammock Parties
09-06-2008, 09:43 PM
He thinks we win 4 games. If we're good.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/785354.html

The no-respect card. Rodney Dangerfield played it rather effectively for an entire career. Coaches in every sport scan newspapers, radio and TV commentary looking for an excuse to pull out the no-respect card.

John McCain hopes the card will land him the presidency, selling the myth the media don’t respect his Miss Alaska vice-presidential pick simply because she’s cute, right wing and clueless about the world outside of Alaska.

You know why people play the no-respect card? Because, more often than not, it works. Rodney Dangerfield earned millions repeating the same no-respect jokes for decades. Joe Namath won Super Bowl III because the Jets believed no one respected them. And McCain’s poll numbers have spiked since Sarah Palin batted her eyes and read jokes scrolled on a prompter.

You don’t need substance to win in America. You only need the right sales pitch and a gullible audience.

So that’s our ray of hope of the 2008 Kansas City Chiefs. Let’s hope they’re gullible. Well, actually, they don’t need to be gullible at all. They can legitimately play the no-respect card. Wow, you want to talk about low expectations. No one thinks much of these Chiefs.

Saturday, while I was enjoying watching a rancid San Diego State squad expose Notre Dame once again, Sports Illustrated’s Peter King blurted these words during the halftime show:

“The Patriots are lucky opening the season with the Chiefs, the worst team in football entering the season.”

King said it so nonchalantly that he might as well have announced that yesterday was Saturday. It’s a given among football followers that the Chiefs are going to struggle this season.

That’s a good thing. It means the Chiefs don’t have to look far for motivation this season. Herm Edwards won’t have to spend much time preparing his pregame speeches. When he says no one outside the Kansas City locker room expects the Chiefs to win today’s game, he won’t be exaggerating. Hell, he’ll have several players inside his locker room fully expecting the Patriots to break out a can of whoop(butt) this afternoon.

That’s OK. Most of Edwards’ players will take the field determined to prove their doubters wrong. There’s nothing better in the sports world than shocking the world and flying a finger in the face of your critics.

The Chiefs need to play with a chip on their shoulder pads. It’s not like they have a No. 2 receiver, an experienced offensive line, a proven quarterback, a playmaking pass-rusher, a shutdown corner, a kicker or a general manager equipped to provide those ingredients.

Whatever the Chiefs accomplish today at Gillette Stadium and throughout the rest of the season, it will be a byproduct of having the right attitude.

One of two things will happen with the Chiefs this season: 1. They’ll use the nobody-respects-us card to energize themselves throughout the season and play above their heads; 2. They’ll use their lack of talent as an excuse to lie down.

If they go with option one, they’ll win four games this season. If they go with option two, only good fortune will hand them two victories this season.

We’ll get clues which direction this team is headed today, but we won’t really know until midseason.

Today, the Chiefs should play with passion. They’re young, fighting for starting jobs, contract leverage and respect. Many of the players don’t even know how personnel-challenged this team is.

Plus, we don’t know if the Patriots will be operating at optimum level. Tom Brady sat out the entire preseason. He might have to shake off a little rust. And, after setting every offensive record known to John Madden last season, the Patriots might be less interested in running up the score this season.

Regardless of what happens today, Herm Edwards will be attempting to keep his team motivated this season in a dangerous environment. Crowds at Arrowhead Stadium are likely to be sparse. Most Kansas City football fans will get their fix from the Tigers, Jayhawks and Wildcats. There will be less attention on the Chiefs as they rebuild.

There’s a real thin line between no one respecting you and no one caring about you. That’s the line the Chiefs will attempt to straddle this season. Sports franchises and professional athletes hate being ignored.

When no one cares, it becomes more difficult for the players to care. They lose the chip on their shoulders and start fantasizing about the offseason, a new general manager, a new coach or maybe moving to a franchise where it’s easier to be respected.

Mecca
09-06-2008, 10:13 PM
2-4 is what I've said all along so I don't see the problem.

OctoberFart
09-06-2008, 10:33 PM
The queeefs suck and are one of the worst teams in the league so why would they get any respect?

kcxiv
09-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Yet, they had the same record as the lame ass Raiders. hahaha.

keg in kc
09-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Lack of talent?

This may be the most talented Chiefs team I've seen (since '99). What they have is a lack of experience.

OctoberFart
09-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Yet, they had the same record as the lame ass Raiders. hahaha.

Where did I say the Raiders were good? You also don't see me complaining that they aren't getting any respect. Don't deflect from the article as it says nothing about the Raiders and I know they aren't going to be a good team as they have been in rebuild mode since 2003.

kcxiv
09-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Where did I say the Raiders were good? You also don't see me complaining that they aren't getting any respect. Don't deflect from the article as it says nothing about the Raiders and I know they aren't going to be a good team as they have been in rebuild mode since 2003.

I just like taking shots at the Raiders anytime i see an opening. Just like you coming here and doing the same.

milkman
09-06-2008, 10:43 PM

You know, both the Chiefs and the Raiders could go winless for the next 10 years, and still, they wouldn't suck as much as you.

alanm
09-06-2008, 10:45 PM
The queeefs suck and are one of the worst teams in the league so why would they get any respect?
Hey it's October Fart. How ya doing man? :D

keg in kc
09-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Hey it's October Fart. How ya doing man? :DHey now? Did I give you permission to use that name? Don't make me sic my lawyers on you.

You know, maybe September Poot would be better anyway. 'cause the Faders will be an afterthought long before October.

Rausch
09-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Peter King is a long-time KC hating douchebag.

Tyler:"Who would you fight."

Ed Norton: "Ghandi."

Tyler: "Ohhh. Good answer. Rausch?"

Rausch: "I'd **** up Peter King and finish with a curb-stomp..."

Chiefs Pantalones
09-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Lack of talent?

This may be the most talented Chiefs team I've seen (since '99). What they have is a lack of experience.

You're kidding right?

chiefbowe82
09-06-2008, 10:57 PM
While kc has some of the most passionate fans, their negativity reflects badly on the chiefs, we made it to the playoffs in herms first year and all people could talk about was how bad the chiefs were going to get beat rather than looking at it like-lets win our first playoff game in ?? years. How do you think this respect reflects on the players? I just hope the players can play away from home tomorrow and play through the negativity of their own "fans"

Chiefs Pantalones
09-06-2008, 11:00 PM
While kc has some of the most passionate fans, their negativity reflects badly on the chiefs, we made it to the playoffs in herms first year and all people could talk about was how bad the chiefs were going to get beat rather than looking at it like-lets win our first playoff game in ?? years. How do you think this respect reflects on the players? I just hope the players can play away from home tomorrow and play through the negativity of their own "fans"

K

Deberg_1990
09-06-2008, 11:03 PM

Yea, your right....

Its the fans fault the Chiefs havent won a playoff game in 15 years.

RibKing67
09-06-2008, 11:04 PM

Agreed.

I would like to add that even when we were 13-3 going into the playoff game against Indy we got no respect. No matter how good we are the national media never gives the team any run. We are more like an after thought than a story. I guess cause we are not in a huge city that can move the Neilson ratings or cause fishwrap to be puchased we dont count.

Rausch
09-06-2008, 11:05 PM
You're kidding right?

The last player we had with Bowe's ability was Alexander.

Years ago.

LJ and Charles and Dorsey and Albert and Gonzo and Waters and Flowers and even Old Man Surtain are clearly talented.

The question is can we teach these kids, motivate them, IMPROVE their game?

To me that's the big if.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-06-2008, 11:11 PM
The last player we had with Bowe's ability was Alexander.

Years ago.

LJ and Charles and Dorsey and Albert and Gonzo and Waters and Flowers and even Old Man Surtain are clearly talented.

The question is can we teach these kids, motivate them, IMPROVE their game?

To me that's the big if.

I agree to that.

I don't think Herm is the guy for it. I think he's gone (Carl is gone after this year) after 09, then we get someone in here to make it happen finally.

Al Czervik
09-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Shitlock:

"Sports franchises and professional athletes hate being ignored."

Much like ignorant overweight no talent hacks?

chiefbowe82
09-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Yea, your right....

Its the fans fault the Chiefs havent won a playoff game in 15 years.

I guess I can't find anywhere in my post where I said that, I'll double check for you but I'm not seeing anything

cabletech94
09-07-2008, 06:05 AM
As much as most of you here hate whitlock, you gotta admit, he riles peeps up.

Minimum 6 wins this year. Write it down.

milkman
09-07-2008, 06:35 AM
Agreed.

I would like to add that even when we were 13-3 going into the playoff game against Indy we got no respect. No matter how good we are the national media never gives the team any run. We are more like an after thought than a story. I guess cause we are not in a huge city that can move the Neilson ratings or cause fishwrap to be puchased we dont count.

Or......
It could have to do with the fact that we had a historically bad defense and we were playing a team with a QB that was widely considered to be the best in the game, who had weapons like Harrison and James at his disposal.

The fact is, we won a lot of games that year with the equivalent of smoke and mirrors.

We weren't nearly as good as that 13-3 record would seem to indicate.

KevB
09-07-2008, 08:29 AM
As much as most of you here hate whitlock, you gotta admit, he riles peeps up.

Getting people riled up isn't difficult, especially passionate sports fans. We do it on this board every day. He just gets paid for it.

shaneo69
09-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Or......
It could have to do with the fact that we had a historically bad defense and we were playing a team with a QB that was widely considered to be the best in the game, who had weapons like Harrison and James at his disposal.

The fact is, we won a lot of games that year with the equivalent of smoke and mirrors.

We weren't nearly as good as that 13-3 record would seem to indicate.

We had the easiest schedule in the world that year, and actually we have an easy schedule this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go 8-8 this year just by beating teams that end up 6-10 or worse. That still doesn't mean we're any good. Just like we really weren't any good in 2003.

KCJohnny
09-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Memo to Jason:
Sarah Palin has 1000x more executive experience than his two candidates combined.

Stick to football, Whitlock.