PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Individual Game performances

shammus
09-07-2008, 03:20 PM
I jotted down some notes on what I thought of the individual performances during today's game. Granted, I'm sure there's plenty that I missed but I came away with several "impressions" of our players - both good and those needing improvement.

The bottom line for me is, while I'm disappointed we didn't win, if someone had told me before the game that we'd have a chance to tie the game with a first and goal at the Patriots 5 yd line with time running down, I wouldn't have believed them. We kept with New England and had a chance to send the game into overtime which is saying something. I, like most, expected us to lose by 2-3 touchdowns, if not more. Anyway, all that being said, here's a bit of what I noticed today.

The GOOD

Brodie Croyle - played with confidence and poise today. Thought his passes were crisp and he was looking good when he got hurt. Ran a 2-minute drill offense at the end of the first half and looked pretty good on that scoring drive.

Tamba Hali and Turk McBride - these guys seemed to get consistent push throughout the game. Each had a couple nice tackles for a loss and Hali batted down a pass.

Jamaal Charles - a few nice runs while spelling LJ. His speed really allows him to do things on the field that LJ can't

Derrick Johnson - several nice stops against the run and a huge sack on Matt Kassel which knocked New England out of field goal range

Special Teams - we made a lot of nice tackles in the open field which helped keep NE's starting field position reasonable. Might have been better if not for Novak's short kickoffs. Dimitri Patterson, Erick Waldon and others all looked pretty good on punt/kickoff coverage.

Devard Darling - I'm honestly not sure where to put him. I'll place him here even though that long catch was the first one I've ever seen him make. Still, it gave us a huge chance to send the game into overtime with a 1st and goal at the 5.

The NOT-SO-GOOD

Damon Huard - He just plain holds onto the ball too long. I saw him take 3 sacks, 2 of which he could have thrown away. Then he threw a really crucial interception late in the game. Even his touchdown pass was less than impressive as it was more a great reception by Bowe than a good throw by Huard.

Larry Johnson - not sure if it was the playcalling or bad blocking but LJ didn't have really all that great of a game. You take out the 22 yd run and he's got a 2.5 yd per carry average today

Offensive line - I saw Croyle get absolutely blasted at least four times, the final of which knocked him out of the game. Larry Johnson didn't exactly have a banner day running the ball either. Adrian Jones in particular got knocked into the backfield on a few plays I saw and MacIntosh totally whiffed on a couple as well.

Nick Novak - he did get us on the board with a 40 yd. field goal but his kickoffs were seemingly always caught around the 15 yard line which really cost us in the 3rd quarter when they ran the ball back all the way to our 37.

UGH

I'm going to put Dwayne Bowe in this category which may surprise some people. He had a nice TD reception where he got up really high in the air to haul down a ball thrown well over his head, but he also dropped FOUR catchable balls that I counted. One of which would have been a crucial game tying TD at the end of the game. That one in particular seemed to bounce off his shoulder pads. If he's going to be our go-to receiver of the future, we need to count on him to produce a lot better than he did today.

Hammock Parties
09-07-2008, 03:38 PM
None of the young corners got toasted. Very impressive.

Bowser
09-07-2008, 03:40 PM
None of the young corners got toasted. Very impressive.

Agreed. These guys were up to the challenge, especially considering who they were going against.

DaneMcCloud
09-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Damon Huard will never improved and shouldn't even be on the roster.

The right side of the line is atrocious. I wouldn't be surprised to see either Taylor or Richardson at RT in the next 3 weeks and someone else at guard (Day-La-Pwen-Tay?).

Defense was solid. Bowe had too many drops.

Anyone that suggests that Tony Gonzalez should be traded will immediately receive Negative Rep.

Hammock Parties
09-07-2008, 03:42 PM
I thought both of the safeties were pretty good in run support. Last year they both had problems coming up to make tackles. They'd get toasted going one-on-one with RBs. Not today.

BigRock
09-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Nick Novak - he did get us on the board with a 40 yd. field goal but his kickoffs were seemingly always caught around the 15 yard line which really cost us in the 3rd quarter when they ran the ball back all the way to our 37.

His opening kick was to the 2 yard line, and it was a really nice directional kick that pinned the returner in the corner. That was nice to see.

MIAdragon
09-07-2008, 03:43 PM
(Day-La-Pwen-Tay?).

ROFL

suds79
09-07-2008, 03:45 PM
As negative as I've been thus far (dissapointed we didn't beat them with their backup QB), I thought Brandon Albert played a really well.

I didn't see him getting beat in pass protection.

SAUTO
the defensive BF played well, also darling is "supposed" to be fast so how does the guy get ran down from behind? if he actually ran it out should've been a td

kcxiv
My boy B.Pollard had a hell of a game. Took out Brady. did very well against the run and tackles very well. People wanted him off the team or at the linebacking spot. no no no. He's going to get toasted every now and again. Everyone does, but he's going to be solid thisyear.

Pitt Gorilla
09-07-2008, 03:46 PM
I liked the young corners and the D-Line (for the most part). Our LBs need to improve, including Johnson. Croyle looked really good when he wasn't running for his life from McIntosh's guy.

kcxiv
09-07-2008, 03:46 PM
the defensive BF played well, also darling is "supposed" to be fast so how does the guy get ran down from behind? if he actually ran it out should've been a td

He covered up at the end and slowed down. Cant really blame him to much for doing that. The last thing he wanted to do was fumble the ball while trying to force himself into the end zone. This place would have melted down.

BigRock
09-07-2008, 03:49 PM
As negative as I've been thus far (dissapointed we didn't beat them with their backup QB), I thought Brandon Albert played a really well.

I didn't see him getting beat in pass protection.

Albert definitely looked good. I'm kinda surprised Dan Dierdorf didn't make more out of it, being a tackle himself.

ChiefsCountry
09-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Surtain played good as well.