PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs So I don't have to filter through 20 angry threads....

Mosbonian
09-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Can some of the cooler and more football-savvy experts answer the following for me since I didn't watch much of the game today:

1) How did our rookies play today? (Albert, Flowers, Dorsey, Charles, etc)

2) Did the defense really play all that well or did the injury to Brady stun the Pat's offense that bad?

3) Did Jamaal Charles play QB in High School and switch to RB in College?

4) Who played better today....Johnson or Charles?

mmaddog

Sully
09-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Rookies looked okay...
Albert looked really good. DOrsey did decent, but I expect more from him, Charles was a great change of pace, and had some very good plays, Flowers was fine.

2) Defense was okay. Got gashed at times, but played tough. I don't think the loss of Brady made a HUGE difference.

3) Jamaal Charles was discovered in a woven basket in the Red River by Major Applewhite, made into the world's best QB, but decided to challenge himself by becoming a RB.

4) Johnson and Charles played equally well. But Charles does look substantially faster.

noa
09-07-2008, 03:52 PM
1) All the rookies you listed played well. Albert and Charles especially. Flowers had a stupid penalty, running into the kicker, but that was a rookie mistake. Carr was also decent. Didn't hear Cottam or Morgan's names called, except one time I saw that Cottam struggled blocking.

2) The defense gave up one really bad 99 yard drive, set off by a play action pass to Moss that everyone knew was coming, but other than that they were impressive. They forced a couple 3 and outs. I liked what I saw overall considering how many weapons the Patriots have. Still, Sammy Morris bulldozed a couple of our guys and Matt Cassel juked Pat Thomas out of his pants, so there were some embarrassing moments, too.

3) Don't know, but he looks good at RB.

4) Charles had the better game in terms of YPC, and he looked way more explosive, but I don't think he would have been that impressive if he was the feature back getting 15 or 20 carries a game. I think he is going to be a great change of pace back who can really make a difference from time to time. He has the ability to take a short swing pass and pick up 8 or 9 yards because of his speed.
Larry looked pretty average today. To me, he looked exactly the same as he did last season pre-injury. He runs up the gut, gets 3 or 4 yards, and that's it. Maybe once or twice a game he'll break a bigger run, but he doesn't look like the LJ of old. A lot of that might be due to the OL.

Mosbonian
09-07-2008, 03:54 PM
3) Jamaal Charles was discovered in a woven basket in the Red River by Major Applewhite, made into the world's best QB, but decided to challenge himself by becoming a RB.

OK...are you being funny...or injecting humor with the truth?

Because, if he was a QB, we should be using him in some flex plays that would be difficult to defend against.

mmaddog

Oh Snap
09-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Can some of the cooler and more football-savvy experts answer the following for me since I didn't watch much of the game today:

I thought albert played phenomenal. He was the only bright spot IMO. Dorsey played well, as did Charles, Flowers...I didnt hear his name to much, and wasnt really paying attention to him, but not hearing his name is a good thing. There were a few times where he was out of position, but that is to be expected from a rookie. Overall, I think the above players will all be solid play makers in this league for years to come!

2) Did the defense really play all that well or did the injury to Brady stun the Pat's offense that bad?

Honestly, it was a different game when Brady was in there. We still were able to come up and stump the brady led offense, but I cant help but think it would have been a different game had brady been in there, we were not generating much of a pass rush, which is why Cassell was able to throw two TD's.

I have no idea!

mmaddog

Charles, but Johnson did have one nice long 22 yard run where he just basically out ran every defender on the left side. Kinda reminded me of the old LJ.

Phobia
09-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Charles blocked the wrong guy on a blitz which let to Croyle being sacked and injured, but other than that he looked really good.

Edit: He doesn't have amazing hands - dropping a couple balls which hit in the hands. In his defense, they hit him in the hands pretty hard. Croyle has to develop more touch on those dumpoffs in the backfield.

the Talking Can
09-07-2008, 05:44 PM

mmaddog

1) Lots of good things from the young ones: Albert looked solid, not overwhelmed...Flowers the same...McBride made some great plays along the line of scrimmage and basically showed a lot of hustle and effort, he surprised me more than anyone...the whole DL played with a lot of heart even as the offense did nothing, there was not much pass rush but the frequently controlled the line of scrimmage forcing several punts, I thought our DT rotation was fairly stout...Charles flashed amazing speed and a good eye for holes - which were small - and made a couple of plays out of nothing: he has a lot of promise...Cottom nothing

2) both...but our d played with a lot of spirit and made more good plays than bad...they forced two fumbles in the first half and knocked out Brady..just one series with the famed shitty tackling...we still need LBs, a CB, and a DE...

3) no clue

4) I thought Charles showed more speed, vision, patience, and effort...but to be fair, we slammed LJ in the middle about 100 times on 1st and second down, they knew exactly what was coming and he had few holes...the play calling was atrocious...just Solari-awful...we ran up the butt every 1st down...I'm sure LJ was frustrated, but he was not showing any patience or savy, imo...hell, I think Smith and Charles have better vision in tight spaces...

as depressing as it was to see Croyle get injured again - after looking pretty good - and watching some truly terrible play calling, there were flashes from the rookies...and that's all i ask for at this stage...our young guys have some real talent, and pretty good attitudes, so far...

Herm is whole other story, the coaching today was pitiful and cost us...imo

Mosbonian
09-07-2008, 08:23 PM
It's good to hear that our rookies for the most part did well.....more than anything, I want to see our Team truly build for the future.

My reason for asking about Charles.....if he were a QB-turned RB what would be the harm in putting him in a position to make teams guess, is he going to run or could he pass. About all I truly got to see of the game was the first 8 minutes of the game and the last 2 minutes.

A FWIW assumption.....and a play on 1st down at the 5 yard line. (What could have been the harm since we got little on the Johnson running play) Why not put Charles in a flanker spot and put him in motion....have Larry Johnson in the backfield and give all the appearances of a sweep or running play off right tackle. Have Charles take a pitchback and be moving left.....Tony G could pull right 2 steps then cut left toward the left side of the field (misdirection play by the remaining offense) if played well that should leave someone trying to cover Gonzalez or play Charles on the run. Charles would have the option of running or passing to TG depending on whether the defender played he or TG. If the play gets busted early all Charles does is toss the ball out of the End Zone.

If it gained nothing what harm have we done....especially since LJ gained nothing. And it might actually serve to make the Defense think more than stack the line and cover Tony G like he was the POTUS.

mmaddog

KCUnited
09-07-2008, 08:25 PM
We NEED a bona fide MLB.

boogblaster
09-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Rooks were decent ... The D was impressive at times .. Don't know .... Both did OK for what was called .. We need a LEADER ......