PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Herm Edwards Press Conference - 9/9

Tribal Warfare
09-10-2008, 01:01 AM
Herm Edwards Press Conference - 9/9 (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/09/09/herm_edwards_press_conference__99/)

Sep 09, 2008, 5:48:53 PM

HERM EDWARDS: “The status on (QB) Brodie (Croyle) is he’s out this week. He’s getting better. We’ll know more next week, but (QB) Damon Huard will start this week at quarterback. That’s kind of the only guy who’s really out for us, everyone else came through the game okay. A little bit about the Raiders. They’re a very talented football team. They had a pretty good draft in my opinion. They’re playing some young players also, a young quarterback, big guy, big strong arm. You saw some of that when he played last night. They have really good running backs. Defensively they have a lot of speed. I think last night was one of those games as a coach, you don’t anticipate games like that and it just kind of mounts on you. That one is over with for them, just like the one last week is over for us. We’re both sitting at the same spot, with a loss. It’s a division game, a big game for us, last year they came in and beat us in the fourth quarter with a play or two. It’s generally a close game with the Raiders and the Chiefs. They’ll feel like they have a lot to prove because of how they played last night, and I know that’s not how they’ll play the rest of the year. They’re going to try to run the ball on us and get up on our receivers and try to play man-to-man.”

Q: Was Huard your guy all the way, or did you give some thought to QB Tyler Thigpen?

EDWARDS: “He’ll get some opportunities. There’s no doubt. He’s going to play in some games. He’ll get his chances, there’s no doubt about that. But for this week’s game, I just think it’s not fair to him. I just think Damon, he got us some momentum going and hopefully we can build on that. It’s just not fair to the kid, opening up at home, you know, it’s just not fair. He’ll get a chance, though.”

Q: Are you going to bring in anyone at QB?

EDWARDS: “We brought some guys in to work out, but we haven’t signed anybody. Just like everyone who gets a quarterback hurt. We’re working some guys out, that’s about it.”

Q: How do you build a team around QB Brodie Croyle when he keeps getting injured?

EDWARDS: “Well, that’s tough. He’s going to get back, that’s the good thing. When you build your offense, you’re building around that guy. You want to build a system that he can handle and be successful in. When he comes back he’s got to stay healthy. That’s the key for him and for us. We feel like we can win with him and he can do things with our offense to make it go.”

Q: When is it time to move on?

EDWARDS: “Well that’s something you always have to consider, too. I don’t think it’s that point in time just yet, but when you look at quarterbacks, generally when the guy is in his third year, that’s when these guys come out and play. I just think that’s the outlook we have for Brodie too. We’re doing some things offensively that he can do well. Now we’ve got to keep him healthy and he’s got to go play.”

Q: Do you have to weigh development versus what helps us win during personnel decisions?

EDWARDS: “That’s a constant thing you’re fighting against. You want to make sure the players feel like the guy that’s playing quarterback gives them the best chance to win. You know the psyche of the football team, you know where they’re at. When you make decisions like that, you’ve got make sure that it’s the right guy and that your team can rally around him. With a young quarterback, you’ve got to put him in the best position to win, and that can’t mean dropping back and throwing it 40 times a game. So that’s a struggle.”

Q: Is it sort of a struggle at each position then?

EDWARDS: “Yeah. (Laughs) But that’s the marquee position. He has to make decisions. The decision-making with the ball is important, especially when you have to throw. I just think that’s the marquee position in our league, that’s the focal point of any football team. The trigger man.”

Q: Could you evaluate WR Dwayne Bowe’s performance on Sunday?

EDWARDS: “It wasn’t up to his standard. It wasn’t what we expect out of him. It wasn’t what he expects out of himself. We had a long talk and I contend that this week, he’ll do much better, because he has to, because he’s that kind of player. We’re going to throw him the ball because he’s one of the guys that can make plays. The second year is always a tough year for football players for some reason. It happened to me when I was a player, that was a long time ago, but you see it all the time. When you’re a first-year player and you played a lot, you always try to better equip yourself to do better than last year. Then you start pressing. When you’re young, you press. You don’t let it come to you. If you watch him play, he presses sometimes. He tries to make things happen without getting the first thing done – catching the ball. Sometimes when you try to make a big play, you end up making a bad play. You just have to let the game come to you. He made a great catch for the touchdown. He made a fantastic play.”

Q: Did you think he would get his second one at the end of the game?

EDWARDS: “I was thinking about the two-point play, to be quite honest. Yeah, I thought he would get it. It was a pretty good throw and we thought he was going to catch it. That’s how it goes sometimes. The ones at the end always get magnified, but there’s a couple plays in the middle of the game that were game-changing, too. They made plays and we didn’t and that’s the difference between our football teams. It’s why they won 16 games in a row and why they won three Super Bowls. Because when they get into a pressure situation, they’re used to it, they’re comfortable in that. They relish that environment. That’s what makes them so good. They make those plays and we have to learn how to do that.”

Q: You didn’t get that call on fourth down, either.

EDWARDS: “All I know is, hey, we had a chance to win the game and we didn’t quite get it done.”

Q: Monday night the Raiders had 10 penalties. Why do they have a systemic problem with penalties?

EDWARDS: “They’re a very aggressive team. That was their deal even when I played. They sometimes give you the business after the whistle. All teams want to play on the edge and hopefully you don’t get fouls. They’re a very aggressive team and they got some penalties last night.”

Q: With so many young players, do you have to guard against them getting sucked into that kind of situation?

EDWARDS: “Keeping your poise is pretty important. We had the same type of deal last week and we had two penalties, so that’s pretty good. I always said if you can keep it to four a game you’re going to lead the league, least penalized. That’s my mindset, keep your poise and don’t get too far out of the box. I think that helps you down the road because teams know you won’t step over the line. Don’t do the things that aren’t necessary.”

Q: Does that reputation hurt the Raiders?

EDWARDS: “Well, your reputation kind of follows you. When you play those guys, it’s going to be aggressive and you know that. You can’t get involved in that game.”

Q: This is a rivalry, but when you have so many young players, do they sense it?

EDWARDS: “We’ll coach them on it, but the good thing about it is that a lot of these guys went to big schools, so they know that part. I don’t think they know the history of the Raiders and the Chiefs, sometimes you have to let them know a little bit about that part. What’s more important is it’s a home division game. Those are the ones you need to win.”

Q: It seems over the past few years, the team hasn’t approached the rivalry as intensely as Marty Schottenheimer did in years past. Why is that?

EDWARDS: “This is what we lose sight of. First of all, your players change. There’s about a 20-man swing every year on your roster. And if you keep doing that for 3-4 years, guess what, you get guys who were not in your division playing those guys. The coaches make a big deal out of it, but I think you have to realize the players change. I think the players we have now know that because they’re young and they’re going to be here for a long time. They have a great opportunity to learn the history. As well as this division and the rivalry in the division. That’s being built right now.”

Q: How is S Bernard Pollard doing and what are your thoughts on the whole QB Tom Brady injury situation?

EDWARDS: “Well, it wasn’t intentional by any stretch of the imagination. Our players are never taught to do that. If you watch the play it was one of those freak accidents. It was kind of like what happened to (Bengals QB) Carson Palmer). I talked to (Director of Officiating) Mike Pereira at the league office about it. He told me yesterday that there wasn’t going to be a fine and that it was a legal play. It’s tough and unfortunate, you don’t want that to happen to anybody. I know, I’ve been through that one. I know what it means to lose your quarterback. Bernard had no intent. If you watch the play, there was some things going on on the ground. I just think it was an accident and kind of unfortunate.”

blueballs
09-10-2008, 01:28 AM
Q. Do you think Denny Green and Dick Curl are lovers

InChiefsHeaven
09-10-2008, 05:54 AM
Q. Do you think Denny Green and Dick Curl are lovers

I think at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. If you have, you know, two guys that like the butt sex, then they can make that work. They have to. That's what it's about in this league. I learned that when I played. Guys that like the butt sex, they'll find a way to get it done.

King_Chief_Fan
09-10-2008, 06:16 AM
could this idiot make this team look any worse.

I will be so glad when he is gone.

CoMoChief
09-10-2008, 06:24 AM
I've been saying all along that Thigpen listed as our backup was stupid and no way in hell Carl would allow Herm to play Thigpen over Huard.

chasedude
09-10-2008, 10:11 AM
I know what it means to lose your quarterback.

I hope we know what it means to lose him too? SOON!

HypnotizedMonkey
09-10-2008, 10:25 AM
I pray at night that Thigpen gets 0 playing time.

BigVE
09-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Ok, We don't want Croyle, we don't want Huard, we don't want Thigpen....who DO we want???? The NEW guy Martin??? Not a lot of options right now.

el borracho
09-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Croyle for this year. 1st or 2nd round draft pick next year, if anyone merits the selection. If not, then some vet stopgap QB until our top 5 pick in 2010.

FAX
09-10-2008, 11:05 AM
I don't think it's going to matter, Mr. BigVE. As discussed in the other thread, Herm is not a quarterback's best friend. Green's been down, Huard's been down (several times), and Croyle's been down (several times), already. I think it's QBBC for the Chiefs until Herm gets his job with the NFL Network.

FAX

BigVE
09-10-2008, 11:18 AM
I've been saying all along that Thigpen listed as our backup was stupid and no way in hell Carl would allow Herm to play Thigpen over Huard.

I hope we know what it means to lose him too? SOON!

I pray at night that Thigpen gets 0 playing time.

I don't think it's going to matter, Mr. BigVE. As discussed in the other thread, Herm is not a quarterback's best friend. Green's been down, Huard's been down (several times), and Croyle's been down (several times), already. I think it's QBBC for the Chiefs until Herm gets his job with the NFL Network.

FAX

That being said I would love to see them go ahead and start Martin in a week or so just to see what he's got. Can't be any worse than what Thigpen/Hu-tard have to offer AND we might just get lucky and find an accidental QBOTF. At this rate he will never make it off of the bench unless number 1 and 2 QB's go down (which could happen I guess). No answers at QB in free agency right now, we just have to make do with what we have.

Dartgod
09-10-2008, 11:20 AM
When I read this, my inner voice sounds like Herm. It drives me crazy.

Anyone else do that?

FAX
09-10-2008, 11:21 AM

Anyone else do that?

Yes. It sucks bad. Real, real bad.

FAX

BigVE
09-10-2008, 11:22 AM

Anyone else do that?

Yep. Here's a funny for ya'...I was watching an old rerun of Miami Vice the other day and HERM talks just like Tubbs!! It was hilarious.

Pablo
09-10-2008, 11:25 AM
I pray at night that Thigpen gets 0 playing time.I pray twice as hard as you for the exact same thing.

With our powers combined...

FAX
09-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Reminds me of that old adage ... Coaches coach and players drop like flies.

FAX THE POLYANNACRAT

Calcountry
09-10-2008, 11:48 AM

FAXYou forgot to mention Pennington in the season opener at Arrowhead no less.

Herm is not good to QB's.

09-10-2008, 01:57 PM
You forgot to mention Pennington in the season opener at Arrowhead no less.

Herm is not good to QB's.

And Jay Fiedler too.

OnTheWarpath15
09-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Reminds me of that old adage ... Coaches coach and players drop like flies.

FAX THE POLYANNACRAT

Polyannacrat...

ROFL

chiefs1111
09-10-2008, 02:02 PM
I think the time has come to leave a flaming bag of poop at Herm's office door

boogblaster
09-10-2008, 02:08 PM
WE NEED A LEADER .... What direction do we look ...

dirk digler
09-10-2008, 02:12 PM
I really really dislike Herm. Please God let us go 0-16 so we can get rid of this douchebag and take the King Douchebag with him

bogey
09-10-2008, 02:19 PM

Anyone else do that?

That's so funny, I was thinking the same thing. I read it with Herm's cadence.