PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Bob Gretz: Defensive analysis of week 1

Chiefnj2
09-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Gretz continues to do a very good job. Interesting that Gun only blitzed 6 guys once (and it worked).

From bobgretz.com

Second Look/New England: Defense
September 10, 2008 - Bob Gretz |

Want to know why football coaches work 20 hours a day during the season?

I can tell you … it’s looking at tape. It’s vital to understanding performance of all 22 players on that tape, but it takes forever to get through, let alone chart and make sense of all the information.

So much for excuses; here are some of the things the coaching tape showed me about the defense’s performance against New England.

I charted 58 offensive snaps for New England. The Chiefs were in their base 4-3-4 defense on only 12 of those plays. They spent most of their time in the nickel defense (LB out, extra CB in) with 30 plays. They played their dime defense (2 LBs out, 2 extra CBS in) on three plays. They also used a 3-3-5, with LB Demorrio Williams coming in and sometimes lining up as a defensive end. They also played their extra safety package, where they bring in Jon McGraw and take out a cornerback. That’s what it’s like playing the Patriots offense. Even when Brady went out, they didn’t seem to change much in their approach. On those 58 snaps, New England was in the shotgun 30 times and the quarterback was under center 28 times. Most of the time, they had four receivers and one back.

Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham did not throw a lot of blitzes at the Patriots. I counted just once when he sent six rushers and that was the play where LB Derrick Johnson got his sack. A handful of times Cunningham sent five rushers, but most of the time he had four people rushing the passer. One guy who he sent several times off the edge was rookie CB Brandon Flowers.

DT Tank Tyler has gotten the attention of the NFL. In Foxboro, the Patriots double-teamed Tyler on almost every play. When they didn’t, he was in the middle of the play almost every time. Impressive performance from the second-year man who some claimed was a bust after last season. If he keeps playing like he did against New England, look out.

No. 1 draft choice Glenn Dorsey didn’t show up much in the first half, but he made some plays in the second half. He was a factor in clogging up the middle. In fact, the whole starting defensive line played pretty well. DEs Tamba Hali and Turk McBride hustled all day and made plays on the backside. There wasn’t much pressure on the passer from the outside however, and that’s something that must improve.

Johnson’s game was a mixed bag at LB. He had the sack, but he also blew a tackle on one running play that ended up going for 22 yards. D.J. had Sammy Morris in his hands for no gain and couldn’t finish off the tackle.

Safety Bernard Pollard looked like he played a good game and was flying around like he knew where to go and everybody else on the defense was in the same boat.

The killer for the Chiefs was third down. Here’s just one example. Late in the game, New England leads by four with about four minutes to play. The Patriots face 3rd-and-9 at the Chiefs 36-yard line. If the Chiefs hold them, it would be a 54-yard field goal for New England, or a punt. The Chiefs were in a dime defense and sent four rushers after Matt Cassel. Flowers had one-on-one coverage on WR Wes Welker in the slot and the Patriots veteran simply beat him on a move to the outside. The 12-yard gain gave New England a first down, allowed them to run another 90 seconds off the clock before they kicked a field goal to make it 17-10.

Then there was the 51-yard completion on third down, with the Patriots backed up at their own one-yard line. All CB Pat Surtain has to do is keep WR Randy Moss in front of him. Instead, Moss gets behind him and not only is it a first down, but it changes field position and leads to New England’s first TD of the game.

FAX
09-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Hmmm. High praise for the Tankster. I can't wait to get my tape.

There hasn't been a lot of conversation on the board about the play of Flowers, either. Maybe ... just maybe, we have the makings of a defense, here. If Hali can start producing some sacks ... and DJ comes to life ....

FAX THE EVER HOPEFUL AND EXTREMELY OPTIMISTIC ABOUT ALMOST EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME

Hoover
09-10-2008, 03:40 PM
I love this crap.

I think last years draft is going to pan out as well. Tank and Dorsey could be a great duo for years to come.

Hoover
09-10-2008, 03:41 PM
As for the CBs I still think we give the opposing teams wrs to big of a cushion. I thought Flowers did a good job, I think we will be far more aggressive this week.

KCUnited
09-10-2008, 03:43 PM
I saw Tank in the mix quite a bit. Turk also seemed to be getting some push. Gun needs to kill that "extra safety package" with McGraw though. Next week will be a test as I see Oakland running early and often. Play pass!

Pasta Little Brioni
09-10-2008, 03:44 PM
I thought Pollard played a pretty solid game as did Page.

kcxiv
09-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Tank, Turk and Pollard looked awesome.

McGraw has no reason to be on the field in defense. He looks horrible.

milkman
09-10-2008, 04:28 PM
The problem I see with this breakdown is that Gretz cites Surtain as wholly responsible for Moss getting open deep on that 50 yard pass.

It looked pretty obvious that Surtain was supposed to get deep help, and that help came in the person of John McGraw, who was late getting over.

As kcxiv says, McGraw has no business on the field.

kcxiv
09-10-2008, 04:30 PM
The problem I see with this breakdown is that Gretz cites Surtain as wholly responsible for Moss getting open deep on that 50 yard pass.

It looked pretty obvious that Surtain was supposed to get deep help, and that help came in the person of John McGraw, who was late getting over.

As kcvix says, McGraw has no business on the field.

How the ****, no why in the **** are they asking Surtain to guard Moss 1 on 1 like that. Moss blows by even the fastest of CB's and they want Surtain to cover him deep like that? Gretz is smoking. McGraw should have been helping deep.

QuikSsurfer
09-10-2008, 04:37 PM

As kcxiv says, McGraw has no business on the field.

This.

jidar
09-10-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm surprised at Gretz. That was a basic cover-2 situation where Surtain was supposed to have safety help over the top so I don't know how he missed that. I haven't gone back and looked at any footage but my impression at the time was that Mcgraw bit on the playaction and that's why he was late getting over.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2008, 06:43 PM
You cannot blame that Moss reception on Surtain. McGraw could not have been any slower to the ball if he gave birth to his own helmet before the play and had to waddle his bleeding ass to the sideline bowlegged.

KCTitus
09-10-2008, 07:26 PM
The killer for the Chiefs was third down.

This article boiled down to one line for me...and it's the above. KC's still crapping the bed on 3rd and long. That's just wonderful...even the 'great' defenses of the 90's couldn't get stops on 3rd and long.

Mecca
09-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Why is McGraw on the field over Morgan? That one makes no sense.

cdcox
09-10-2008, 07:46 PM

McGraw is a senior and has earned the right to play.

This is Morgan's first year. He has to wait his turn. He'll get his chance once he's an upper classman.

Chieftain58
09-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Randy Moss getting behind Surtain....uhmm... Yeah it is a problem but... he is probably the best wide receiver in football

Chieftain58
09-10-2008, 07:50 PM

Mecca... You need to add another USC pic to your logo thingy on the bottom.. lol

Basileus777
09-10-2008, 08:21 PM
This a pretty interesting post on Patsfans breaking down how our dline fared against the Pats oline.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=122696

The Pats RG Yates really struggled. Was Tank the player he was matched up against most of the game?

KCwolf
09-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Tank really did have a solid game......lots of forward motion off the ball.....double teamed over 1/2 the time.....good performance for week #1, season #2.

Chiefnj2
09-10-2008, 08:27 PM
This a pretty interesting post on Patsfans breaking down how our dline fared against the Pats oline.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=122696

The patsfans version of Clayton, only better and with less spam.

Deberg_1990
09-10-2008, 08:29 PM

The Pats RG Yates really struggled. Was Tank the player he was matched up against most of the game?

WOw.....that guy has waaaay too much time on his hands......very cool though!

milkman
09-10-2008, 08:31 PM

That was quite a bit of work on that guy's part, and while he was trying to illustrate the O-Line struggles against the Chiefs D-Line, it also illustrates how well our DTs played.

boogblaster
09-10-2008, 08:36 PM
The D is fine .. The O needs leadership ...

Mecca
09-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Alot of what that guy posted makes sense though, their line is more for pass blocking.

The DT's are fine so far, the DE's is a position we need some guys at.

milkman
09-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Alot of what that guy posted makes sense though, their line is more for pass blocking.

The DT's are fine so far, the DE's is a position we need some guys at.

I think Turk is fine at LDE, and think he'll get better, but we do need a RDE that has the speed and athleticism to get after the QB on a consistent basis.

jspchief
09-10-2008, 08:47 PM
This D-line is brand new. A rookie, two 2nd year players, and the most experienced guy is playing a new spot.

It's not incocievable that they grow into to something very good.

B_Ambuehl
09-10-2008, 10:13 PM
There hasn't been a lot of conversation on the board about the play of Flowers, either.

I've watched him closely and I try not to be impressed but I can't help it. Knock on wood, from what I've seen he looks like the most impressive defensive rookie in this years draft class. He's got the quicks, the hits, the attitude, and certainly doesn't look slow in any sense. He also looks like he might be able to team up with Pollard to form a very scary punt blocking combo. I don't know if he blocked any kicks in college, but Virginia Tech is known for that and he almost had one the other day.