PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Is it too early to start the...

Silock
09-10-2008, 08:57 PM
hire Jeff Fisher threads?

luv
09-10-2008, 08:59 PM
No shit. I kinda wish we would have gotten him before he went to Tennessee. That was the same year we acquired Herm, wasn't it?

Silock
09-10-2008, 09:02 PM
No, he's been in Tennessee for a long time.

He's a good coach, but I think it's just time for a change for him in Tennessee. If they have another poor season, I don't think he'll be around next season.

RealSNR
09-10-2008, 09:05 PM
No, he's been in Tennessee for a long time.

He's a good coach, but I think it's just time for a change for him in Tennessee. If they have another poor season, I don't think he'll be around next season.He's kind of got Gunther syndrome though. He loves Tennessee. He might not be persuaded to continue coaching if he leaves the Titans.

FAX
09-10-2008, 09:06 PM
If memory serves, Fisher re-upped his contract the exact same year that Carl hired Hermoine to fearlessly send our quarterbacks one after the other into Hell's meatgrinder.

I think that's right, anyway. It seems as though some of us were hoping that Carl would give him a call to talk about the position, at least. Before we gave up the 4th for Herm, that is. Which is really awesomely great, because it could have been a 3rd or something.

FAX THE MORE SUPER POSITIVE THAN ANYBODY ELSE

luv
09-10-2008, 09:08 PM
If memory serves, Fisher re-upped his contract the exact same year that Carl hired Hermoine to fearlessly send our quarterbacks one after the other into Hell's meatgrinder.

I think that's right, anyway. It seems as though some of us were hoping that Carl would give him a call to talk about the position, at least. Before we gave up the 4th for Herm, that is. Which is really awesomely great, because it could have been a 3rd or something.

FAX THE MORE SUPER POSITIVE THAN ANYBODY ELSE

That's what it was. I knew he was available. I guess I just didn't know he was already the HC of the Titans before that. That's about the time I started learning.

ChiefsCountry
09-10-2008, 09:10 PM
No shit. I kinda wish we would have gotten him before he went to Tennessee. That was the same year we acquired Herm, wasn't it?

He was the coach of them back when they were the Oilers. I want to say one of his first games as head coach was a Sunday Night game at Arrowhead in 1994.

Frazod
09-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Absolutely not.

badgirl
09-10-2008, 09:12 PM
That's what it was. I knew he was available. I guess I just didn't know he was already the HC of the Titans before that. That's about the time I started learning.

Fisher came with the Titans when they got here. There has been no other coach for the Titans that I recall. They been here about how long 12 years or so?

milkman
09-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Absolutely not.

To early to start the hire Jeff Fisher threads?

FAX
09-10-2008, 09:15 PM
People look at Fisher's win/loss record and think, "average". But, that's far from the truth. For a couple of years there, the Tacks didn't even have a stadium or a home to call their own. They played their home games at college stadiums in Memphis and Nashville for an entire year. Then, they went through a complete and total cap meltdown after the SuperBowl.

Every season, I think the Tacks are going to suck because they just aren't that talented. And every year, they are very, very competitive. Keep in mind they are in Indy's conference and, for a couple of years, Jacksonville was damn good, too. He is, in my humble opinion, an excellent coach.

FAX THE SUBLIMELY POSITIVE ABOUT EVERYTHING AND EVERYBODY ALL THE TIME

KCheavy
09-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Its been 9 years for the titans plus 3 before that they were the tennessee oilers

KCheavy
09-10-2008, 09:19 PM
I agree FAX he knows how to get the most out of all his players, except VY

cdcox
09-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Not really a fan. He's a good but not great coach. He went to the SB one year with the benefit of the Music City Miracle, but other than that one year, what is there to recommend him. He often has solid teams, but never great ones.

Fish
I've always liked Fisher....

I don't see how he would be that much different than what we have though...

luv
I agree FAX he knows how to get the most out of all his players, except VY

VY felt he had too much to prove.

ChiefsLV
09-10-2008, 09:22 PM
I dunno, he just seems kinda overrated.

Silock
09-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Not really a fan. He's a good but not great coach. He went to the SB one year with the benefit of the Music City Miracle, but other than that one year, what is there to recommend him. He often has solid teams, but never great ones.

He's never really had that much to work with, IMO.

cdcox
09-10-2008, 09:26 PM
He's never really had that much to work with, IMO.

He's been a coach long enough that if he hasn't had much to work with, he's a good part of the reason why.

FAX
09-10-2008, 09:28 PM

What I'm trying to say is that his win/loss record is very misleading. The guy has been working uphill since he took the job. If it wasn't fighting for players, it was being uprooted and all the distractions that go along with that for 3 years. And if it wasn't being uprooted, it was going through one of the worst cap situations in the history of the league. Temper justice with mercy, Mr. cdcox.

FAX THE HAPPY JUST TO BE HERE AND BE POSITIVE ABOUT STUFF

Hammock Parties
09-10-2008, 09:30 PM
I like Jeff Fisher because he has a mustache. If you have a mustache, people respect you more. If Carl Peterson grew a mustache, he probably could have avoided a lot of problems.

Why do you think Herm is a head coach? Mustache.

badgirl
09-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Well in just the 9 years we have been the titans we have went to the superbowl once and the playoff, what? 4 times I beleive that is pretty good I think maybe we haven't won a superbowl but how many other teams out there hasn't won a superbowl in the past 9 years?

Skip Towne
09-10-2008, 09:40 PM
I'd take Fisher over Herm instantly. But there may be somebody better out there. So who is he?

Stinger
09-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Well lets see here we are clamering for a QB for the future. You all realize Jeff's last choice for QB was a guy who barely got his name right on the Wonderlic Test, and is contiplating retirement because he got booed and it is hard for him to take.

Hammock Parties
09-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Well lets see here we are clamering for a QB for the future. You all realize Jeff's last choice for QB was a guy who barely got his name right on the Wonderlic Test, and is contiplating retirement because he got booed and it is hard for him to take.

Fisher wanted Jay Cutler, if memory serves. Management overruled him.

Frankie
09-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Jeff Fisher is way overrated.

FAX
09-10-2008, 09:50 PM

It's common knowledge, Mr. Stinger, and it's been stated here on the Planet on many occasions that Fisher was against the Young pick. He was overruled.

FAX THE OPTIMALISTICISH

FAX
09-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Jeff Fisher is way overrated.

Hmmm. From the looks of some of these posts, the opposite may be true, Mr. Frankie.

FAX

FAX
09-10-2008, 09:54 PM
He's been a coach long enough that if he hasn't had much to work with, he's a good part of the reason why.

The organization was ruled by Floyd Reese, Mr. cdcox. He dominated the player and personnel decision making and controlled the money. It was only a couple of years ago that Fisher won the internal power grab and Reese was fired. That was, by the way, after the Pacman and Young picks which Fisher opposed. Geez.

FAX THE STILL VERY POSITIVE BUT FEELING A HEADACHE COMING ON

milkman
09-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Hmmm. From the looks of some of these posts, the opposite may be true, Mr. Frankie.

FAX

Mr. FAX, who forgot to tell us the positive thoughts he was having at the end of the post.

DaneMcCloud
09-10-2008, 10:00 PM
I like Jeff Fisher's personality but I don't think he's anything special as a coach. He's a 8-8, 7-9 guy with a few 12-4's thrown in twice a decade.

Cool guy but no thanks.

Stinger
09-10-2008, 10:07 PM

It's common knowledge, Mr. Stinger, and it's been stated here on the Planet on many occasions that Fisher was against the Young pick. He was overruled.

FAX THE OPTIMALISTICISH

What makes you think that Jeff Fisher would have any more input/clout here than in Tennessee? FTR I like Jeff and think he is a very good coach and I would not mind him here. Has he has had some cap issues ... yes ... but also he has had a fairly young team as well for a while and nothing has come of it yet that I have seen.

FAX
09-10-2008, 10:09 PM
You know, this is getting kind of strange. Every time I say I like somebody, everybody else says they don't like them. I say, "Give Croyle a chance." and everybody says, "To hell and be gone with Croyle." I say, "Fisher makes chicken salad out of chicken crap year after year.", and everybody else says, "Fisher sucks." It's amazing.

Let's try this one: Marilyn Monroe had a sexy voice and was a very underrated actress.

FAX THE STILL VERY, VERY POSITIVE DEEP DOWN BUT CRINGING SOMEWHAT

Skip Towne
09-10-2008, 10:12 PM
I like Jeff Fisher because he has a mustache. If you have a mustache, people respect you more. If Carl Peterson grew a mustache, he probably could have avoided a lot of problems.

Your and idiot.

Mr Luzcious
09-10-2008, 10:13 PM
You know, this is getting kind of strange. Every time I say I like somebody, everybody else says they don't like them. I say, "Give Croyle a chance." and everybody says, "To hell and be gone with Croyle." I say, "Fisher makes chicken salad out of chicken crap year after year.", and everybody else says, "Fisher sucks." It's amazing.

Let's try this one: Marilyn Monroe had a sexy voice and was a very underrated actress.

Marilyn Monroe was a vile....
nah, I can't do it.

Stay strong FAX!

FAX
09-10-2008, 10:14 PM
What makes you think that Jeff Fisher would have any more input/clout here than in Tennessee? FTR I like Jeff and think he is a very good coach and I would not mind him here. Has he has had some cap issues ... yes ... but also he has had a fairly young team as well for a while and nothing has come of it yet that I have seen.

Honestly, I wouldn't lie to you guys. There's more to his story than meets the eye. He really has had to fight to get players, to keep players, and to get money for players season after season. Reese was a dominating asshole and had the owner's confidence (until the last cap implosion). He's in a very competitive conference and, by the way, took his team all the way to the SB (Music City Miracle notwithstanding) which is a hell of a lot more than any of our coaches can say. And, I might add, that team wasn't anything really special. McNair was the QB and George was practically on his last legs by that time.

FAX THE ALMOST FORGOT TO BE POSITIVE THAT TIME

Skip Towne
09-10-2008, 10:18 PM

Marilyn was a product of hype of the 50's. A Madonna forerunner. She had no tits and looked like an old whore.

Hammock Parties
09-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Marilyn was a product of hype of the 50's. A Madonna forerunner. She had no tits and looked like an old whore.

WHAT THE ****?

http://www.bartcop.com/marilyn-monroe001.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e216/Dorota1981/MarilynMonroe-Sexy.jpg

dj56dt58
09-10-2008, 10:59 PM
I dont care who we hire..if Herm is our coach still next year I'm gonna rip my ****ing balls off

ChiefsCountry
09-10-2008, 11:03 PM
I dont care who we hire..if Herm is our coach still next year I'm gonna rip my ****ing balls off

Hope you dont miss them.

Predarat
09-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Actually Fisher wanted Matt Leinart, Bud Adams wanted vINTe young so vINTe it is lol.

SBK
09-11-2008, 12:27 AM
I'd take Fisher over Herm instantly. But there may be somebody better out there. So who is he?

I was thinking of starting a thread asking this exact thing.

I'd want someone who wants to attack on defense AND offense, and has dynasty in mind, not a short term thing. More in line with how the Steelers hire coaches.

Silock
09-11-2008, 12:38 AM
I was thinking of starting a thread asking this exact thing.

I'd want someone who wants to attack on defense AND offense, and has dynasty in mind, not a short term thing. More in line with how the Steelers hire coaches.

Cowher played conservative ball, too.

SBK
09-11-2008, 12:46 AM
Cowher played conservative ball, too.

I didn't mean that. I meant that the Steelers eye coaches to be there a long time, to create a dynasty. They don't plan on having 2-3 coaches a decade.

Personally I'd like to see us run something that wouldn't require a complete rebuild. A cover 2 would be good as that's the personnel we've done a decent job in drafting, as opposed to switching to something like a 3-4 and having to start all over.

I'd love to see a power running game and a good play action attack offense, maybe not Air Coryell but not West Coast either. I love the idea of having 5 huge O-lineman come up and just destroy the defense. I don't want finesse, I want us to smash people.

Quesadilla Joe
09-11-2008, 12:52 AM

Shanahan and Fisher are good buds.

Shanahan didn't even interview Jay Cutler. He asked Jeff Fisher what he thought about him. I don't know why the Titans didn't draft Cutler....

SBK
09-11-2008, 12:58 AM

Shanahan didn't even interview Jay Cutler. He asked Jeff Fisher what he thought about him. I don't know why the Titans didn't draft Cutler....

Because Jeff Fisher hates the Chiefs.

FAX
09-11-2008, 12:59 AM

The powers in charge of personnel wanted Young. It makes no sense to me as to why, but they did. Fisher was very much against the idea. One of the interesting things about that whole deal is that Fisher was out of town on vacation when they locked McNair out of the facilities. According to Fisher, he didn't know what was going on with McNair until he returned to Nashville and, by that time, his hands were tied insofar as helping McNair was concerned. The Tacks were, internally, a very disfunctional organization. That's changing now, though, since Fisher has won the day and gotten Reese fired.

FAX THE MOST OPTIMISTIC PLANETEER OF ALL TIMES

DaneMcCloud
09-11-2008, 01:12 AM
The powers in charge of personnel wanted Young. It makes no sense to me as to why, but they did. Fisher was very much against the idea.

Anyone that rules against the offensive Buddha that is Norm Chow should suffer a fate worse than 2-14 every year.

Abba-Dabba
09-11-2008, 01:38 AM
Jeff Fisher is a mediocre coach that returns mediocre results. No thanks.

blueballs
09-11-2008, 02:39 AM
If Fisher came here
Gun would stay
so what's the **** the point

FAX
09-11-2008, 02:54 AM
Jeff Fisher is a mediocre coach that returns mediocre results. No thanks.

Well stated, Mr. Saggysack. Even though he's taken his mediocre team to the SuperBowl and none of our coaches since Hank have been able to accomplish a similar feat, he is, undoubtedly, a turd of the first magnitude. One might say, a magniturd.

Whom, then, would you consider? Belicheat is currently employed, as is Herm's mentor in Indy and that ugly guy with the Giants. We've already tried Dick Vermeil. What excellent coach do you have in mind who might resurrect our fallen franchise from the forsaken pits of hell?

FAX THE ENORMOUSLY POSITIVELY OPTIMISTICALLY POSITIVE

Quesadilla Joe
09-11-2008, 03:09 AM
Whom, then, would you consider? Belicheat is currently employed, as is Herm's mentor in Indy and that ugly guy with the Giants. We've already tried Dick Vermeil. What excellent coach do you have in mind who might resurrect our fallen franchise from the forsaken pits of hell?

Bring back Marty:hmmm:

Or is that impossible:shrug:

Abba-Dabba
09-11-2008, 03:44 AM
Well stated, Mr. Saggysack. Even though he's taken his mediocre team to the SuperBowl and none of our coaches since Hank have been able to accomplish a similar feat, he is, undoubtedly, a turd of the first magnitude. One might say, a magniturd.

Eh, being in a SB is overrated IMO. Barry Switzer took a team to the SB and won. Surely you don't want him. How about Jim Fassel. He has taken a team to the SB. Would you hire him as HC? How about Brian Billick? Fisher is a .537 career coach with a .500 playoff record. Mediocre. Period.

First you need to ask yourself. Do you prefer a guy with experience, or potential? I prefer a guy with potential. First name that comes to mind is Ron Rivera. A fantastic defensive mind that is able to connect with his players. He has been looked at for HC jobs in the past. Bruce Arians as Asst. HC/OC.

It just seems to me that we tend to put ourselves in a box. How many retreads and friends do we need to bring in before we realize it just isn't working? How many more times do we have to hear about Fisher or Cowher? This picking our friends of the program crap has been going on for years and the results haven't changed. And they probaly won't change if we continue to head down the same path that we have been going.

Nightfyre
09-11-2008, 03:51 AM
How about Brian Billick?

in a friggen heartbeat.

Abba-Dabba
09-11-2008, 04:24 AM
in a friggen heartbeat.

The only problem I have with Billick is that he is supposed to be a offensive mastermind, yet he still hasn't produced a offense in the top half of the league when he was a HC.

Nightfyre
09-11-2008, 04:27 AM
The only problem I have with Billick is that he is supposed to be a offensive mastermind, yet he still hasn't produced a offense in the top half of the league when he was a HC.

What weapons was he gonna do that with? Literally all he had was Lewis.

Abba-Dabba
09-11-2008, 04:34 AM
What weapons was he gonna do that with? Literally all he had was Lewis.

BS. He had Elvis Grbac. What else do you need? ;)

Nightfyre
09-11-2008, 04:35 AM
BS. He had Elvis Grbac. What else do you need? ;)

Well, he can't throw the ball and catch it.

Abba-Dabba
09-11-2008, 04:39 AM
Well, he can't throw the ball and catch it.

:clap:
well done

FAX
09-11-2008, 08:15 AM
Eh, being in a SB is overrated IMO. Barry Switzer took a team to the SB and won. Surely you don't want him. How about Jim Fassel. He has taken a team to the SB. Would you hire him as HC? How about Brian Billick? Fisher is a .537 career coach with a .500 playoff record. Mediocre. Period.

First you need to ask yourself. Do you prefer a guy with experience, or potential? I prefer a guy with potential. First name that comes to mind is Ron Rivera. A fantastic defensive mind that is able to connect with his players. He has been looked at for HC jobs in the past. Bruce Arians as Asst. HC/OC.

It just seems to me that we tend to put ourselves in a box. How many retreads and friends do we need to bring in before we realize it just isn't working? How many more times do we have to hear about Fisher or Cowher? This picking our friends of the program crap has been going on for years and the results haven't changed. And they probaly won't change if we continue to head down the same path that we have been going.

Again, I must disagree with your harsh assessment of Fisher, Mr. Saggysack. I can understand how you feel, but to fairly evaluate his skills as a head coach, you have to look behind the win/loss record. I can think of no franchise (New Orleans included) that has suffered through more difficulty and distraction and it all happened during his tenure.

However, I am 100% behind the notion of hiring a young, ascending HC type person to lead the Chiefs - someone who can stay with the team for awhile and, importantly, is not a Marty disciple. If we are to begin anew, that would be my choice, also.

The bottom line is that, even though Fisher's experience would be valuable and could get a lot of production out of the talent on this team, it's not worth talking about since it will never happen.

FAX THE POSITIVELY OPTIMISTISH

Frankie
09-11-2008, 08:57 AM

FAX

Everyone here treats JF as if he is the second coming of Don Shula. He is merely grass on the other side of our fence. If we want to go back to frustrating mediocrity every year we should go after him. We'll probably give up a 1st rdc too, judging by our history.

Frankie
09-11-2008, 09:00 AM
I like Jeff Fisher's personality but I don't think he's anything special as a coach. He's a 8-8, 7-9 guy with a few 12-4's thrown in twice a decade.

Cool guy but no thanks.

That's what I meant by "going back to frustrating mediocrity."

Mr. Plow
09-11-2008, 09:14 AM

<object height="373" width="400"><param name="movie" value="http://player.hulu.com/embed/aol_player.swf?pid=365vElhfvm45z6WoTBpkTVcBEoyRE4i6&embed=true"/><param name="wmode" value="window"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><embed height="373" width="400" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="window" allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://player.hulu.com/embed/aol_player.swf?pid=365vElhfvm45z6WoTBpkTVcBEoyRE4i6&embed=true"/>

DeezNutz
09-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Hmmm...we should hire a young, ascending coach. Sounds good. Roll the dice and hope it doesn't come up Hillman.

chiefs1okie
09-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Bob Stoops

Frazod
09-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Bob Stoops

Only if Callahan replaces him as the Gooners' head coach. :D

FAX
09-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Wow. It appears that my nemesis is attempting to destroy this thread with some kind of thread wrecking ray or something.

FAX THE STILL POSITIVE ... REALLY

FAX
09-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Everyone here treats JF as if he is the second coming of Don Shula. He is merely grass on the other side of our fence. If we want to go back to frustrating mediocrity every year we should go after him. We'll probably give up a 1st rdc too, judging by our history.

In my case, I happen to know Fisher (we're involved in some of the same charity work) and have watched the Tacks closely due to my geographical location, Mr. Frankie. I'll say it once again and then forever hold my pieces ... it is unfair to judge him solely on his win/loss record. During his tenure, the franchise has been through more disruption and distraction and self-inflicted destruction than any other in the league. None of which, by the way, was his fault or responsibility. That is all.

FAX THE OPTIMALCREANT

Prometheus
09-11-2008, 10:36 AM
I don't know....is Fisher someone Marty will hire when he replaces Peterson's sorry butt?

Hoover
09-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Hell yeah, he has a mullet and would fit right in.

SBK
09-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Rivera sounds good.

Way off the wall here, what about a guy like Kiffin? He's going to be fired, is he a coach worth looking at?