PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Flanagan:Chiefs’ Charles wasn’t wowed by speed of NFL

Tribal Warfare
09-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Chiefs’ Charles wasn’t wowed by speed of NFL (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/791669.html)
By JEFFREY FLANAGAN
The Kansas City Star

You hear it all the time: The hardest thing for NFL rookies is adapting to the speed of the NFL game.

But what happens if you’re like Chiefs rookie running back Jamaal Charles and you’re already faster than most of the players on the field?

Charles admitted he wasn’t intimidated at all by the speed around him last Sunday.

“I’ve played with guys who are fast in high school in Texas,” he told me. “I’ve played with fast guys in college at Texas. I’ve played at a certain speed my whole life.

“I already knew the game speed by the time I got to college, and I knew the game speed when I got to the pros. It didn’t seem that different.”

It wasn’t any faster at this level?

“No faster than in college, I didn’t think,” he said.

So, what is the big difference in the NFL?

“They tackle better here,” he said. “They know how to wrap up. They don’t miss.

“And I think they play smarter in the pros. Way smarter.”

Charles knows why, too.

“There’s more at stake,” he said. “Games are on the line. Jobs are on the line.”

Charles may have adapted to the speed easily, but he knows he made mistakes. The big mistake was picking up the wrong rusher during a blitz, a decision that allowed blitzing linebacker Adalius Thomas to smash Brodie Croyle, causing Croyle’s injury.

“I took the guy farthest away,” Charles said. “It was my fault. I messed up. It was a blitz. The quarterback knows it’s a blitz and knows he’s got to get rid of the ball. But it’s my fault. I got one guy but not the right guy.”

No blackout?

The deadline for a possible blackout of the Chiefs-Raiders game on Sunday approaches, but the Chiefs say they feel confident the game will be sold out in time.

Games must be sold out within 72 hours of kickoff under NFL rules, or the game will be blacked out.

“We have some tickets left, tickets that were given back to us by the Raiders,” Pete Moris, Chiefs assistant director of public relations, said Wednesday afternoon.

“But I don’t really see any danger in it not being shown. It’s the Raiders, and even though we’ve got some tickets left, I’d say we’ll be fine. We can always ask for an extension (past today’s deadline) if need be. San Diego got an extension last week.”

Trivia fact?

A reader noticed that the Buffalo Bills’ roster has both punter Brian Moorman and running back Xavier Omon on it.

Moorman is from Pittsburg State, and Omon is from Northwest Missouri State, which makes one wonder whether that is the first time the two rival schools have ever had players on the same NFL roster

KcMizzou
09-11-2008, 07:10 PM
“I took the guy farthest away,” Charles said. “It was my fault. I messed up. It was a blitz. The quarterback knows it’s a blitz and knows he’s got to get rid of the ball. But it’s my fault. I got one guy but not the right guy.”
Excellent attitude from the young guy.

boogblaster
09-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Speed and youth ... Wish I still had it ..

KCJohnny
09-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Charles is moving faster than 95% of the league anyway. I'd love to see him and Kolby replace LJ.

Buehler445
09-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Excellent attitude from the young guy.

That's exactly what I thought. The front end sounded a little cocky, but that line was great. That doesn't sound to me like a Chiefs PR canned line. Hopefully he was legit and will work to make himself a better player.

CoMoChief
09-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Trivia fact?

A reader noticed that the Buffalo Bills’ roster has both punter Brian Moorman and running back Xavier Omon on it.

Moorman is from Pittsburg State, and Omon is from Northwest Missouri State, which makes one wonder whether that is the first time the two rival schools have ever had players on the same NFL roster

I hope he means D2 schools. Surely he can't be that stupid.

heapshake
09-11-2008, 08:17 PM
I hope he means D2 schools. Surely he can't be that stupid.

You must've missed the "the" in the quote.

El Jefe
09-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Not to rain on this parade, but Matt Forte even said he didn't have any trouble adjusting to the speed, athletes just continue to get Bigger, faster, and stronger.

KcMizzou
09-11-2008, 08:53 PM
You must've missed the "the" in the quote.LMAO

FAX
09-11-2008, 10:34 PM
In terms of NFL speed, the guy I'm most interested in is Flowers. How well and how quickly he adapts will tell us a lot about where this team is headed and how long it will take us to get there. I light an all-day butane torch to the Muse Of Crankin' Heads that we have found ourselves a true, shutdown corner.

FAX

chagrin
09-11-2008, 10:37 PM
So when are we going to trade LJ's tired ass - will it be this year by any chance? Just a side topic and I am curious

wazu
09-11-2008, 10:52 PM
So when are we going to trade LJ's tired ass - will it be this year by any chance? Just a side topic and I am curious

What trade value do you think he has?

talastan
09-11-2008, 11:39 PM
Speed and youth ... Wish I still had it ..

That's what she said....JK boog!!:D I agree Charles is the real deal as far as burners go. I wonder why they didn't send him around the perimeter on a run in one of those last four plays last week? I think with his speed he could have gotten into the endzone. JMO though..

KCJohnny
09-12-2008, 12:53 AM
What trade value do you think he has?

Little or none. It might even be worth it to cut him and eat the cap hit. We're way under the cap anyway aren't we? Maybe we can get a RT and a mid round draft pick.

Have you heard? We're deep at RB.