PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Bowe

philfree
09-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Chiefs expect Bowe to bounce back after bad game
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
A teammate of wide receiver Dwayne Bowe at Louisiana State for three seasons, Glenn Dorsey knows him as well as any of the Chiefs.

He couldn’t remember Bowe having a game like last week’s in New England, where he dropped four passes, including one in the end zone in the final seconds that would have allowed the Chiefs to tie or go ahead of the Patriots.

“If he did, I know that he came right back and made the winning touchdown for us the next game,” Dorsey said. “He’s not the type to dwell on things that go on before. He’ll just work two times as hard and go get the next one. I’ve got all the confidence in the world in him.”

To Dorsey, one bad game for Bowe might not be worthy of worry. Every NFL receiver has dropped some passes at some point.

To the rest of the Chiefs, it’s not that simple. Bowe already cost them a shot at a monumental upset in New England.

In the bigger picture, they need Bowe to be what he was last season, when he led all rookie receivers in catches (70) and yards (995).

Tony Gonzalez, who went through a similar slump his second season with the Chiefs, knows that shaking it off isn’t as easy as wishing it away.

“It’s part of the growing process,” Gonzalez said. “I remember in my second year, I dropped 17 balls. You come out with all of those expectations on you after having a good rookie season, and you kind of put a lot of pressure on yourself and you’re not relaxing and just going out there and playing ball.

“All it is, is going out there and doing what you do in practice. He makes great catches in practice. He makes great catches in the game. His thing is just to be more consistent. I know he will because the sky’s the limit with that kid.”

Catching the ball isn’t Bowe’s greatest skill as a receiver. He shields defenders from the ball superbly, adjusts nicely to passes in the air and is tough to bring down once he makes the reception.

But the simple act itself might be Bowe’s most difficult task.

Bowe looked lost immediately after joining the Chiefs as their first-round draft pick last year. He was anything but natural in trying to catch passes in offseason workouts, and his troubles reached the point where the Chiefs were concerned he was destined to become a bust.

Bowe bounced back then to crank out the great rookie season.

“It’s so hard, especially for receivers, to come in and be impact players as rookies,” said Oakland coach Lane Kiffin, who brings the Raiders to Arrowhead Stadium Sunday for their game against the Chiefs. “For him to do it shows how confident he is. If you can do it right away because as a receiver there is so much that changes from college to the NFL . . . that says a lot about him.”

Bowe usually doesn’t lack for confidence, at least not outwardly. Sometimes his public chatter goes beyond confident and borders on cocky.

Whether humbled by his experience in New England or just weary of being asked about it, his manner was far more reserved after practice Wednesday.

“I’m good to go this week,” he said, begging off further inquiry.

Because he’s their best chance for a big play, the Chiefs will keep feeding Bowe the ball.

“We had a long talk and I contend that this week, he’ll do much better because he has to, because he’s that kind of player,” coach Herm Edwards said. “We’re going to throw him the ball because he’s one of the guys that can make plays.

“The second year is always a tough year for football players for some reason. When you’re a first-year player and you played a lot, you always try to better equip yourself to do better than last year. Then you start pressing. When you’re young, you press. You don’t let it come to you. If you watch him play, he presses sometimes. He tries to make things happen without getting the first thing done: catching the ball. Sometimes when you try to make a big play, you end up making a bad play. You just have to let the game come to you.”

--------------

With Franklin back and Huard as the QB I expect a better passing attack this week. The Raiders have tape of DVD making a catch so they'll have to cover him too. Maybe we'll actually run a play action pass in the 1st qtr.....Well....I know, I know it's not likely because Herms the coach.

PhilFree:arrow:

Mr. Arrowhead
09-11-2008, 07:16 PM
I expect Bowe to bounce back nicely

Programmer
09-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Bowe

The only bounce I see is the little Chiefs gurl.

boogblaster
09-11-2008, 07:25 PM
GO BOWE

TinyEvel
09-11-2008, 10:14 PM
Catching passes is his worst asset?

Really? after the "steal" from Gonzo in the endzone last year and a number of snatches of Huard's high, wobbly ducks? I think that's a wrong take.

Mr Luzcious
09-11-2008, 10:18 PM
I think it's a little extreme to be down on him after last week's game. One game doesn't throw everything he did his rookie season out the window.

Hammock Parties
09-11-2008, 10:18 PM

Really? after the "steal" from Gonzo in the endzone last year and a number of snatches of Huard's high, wobbly ducks? I think that's a wrong take.

He doesn't have perfect hands. If you're going to nitpick, that's his "weakness." He dropped a few easy balls last year, too.

Mr Luzcious
09-11-2008, 10:19 PM

From what I've heard, it wasn't. At least in college. I guess he had something done to correct his eyesight and that helped immensely. I remember reading something about back during the senior bowl of that year.

ArrowheadHawk
09-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Bowe will be just fine.

FAX
09-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Bowe will be fine, I agree. It's a shame that he didn't do his camp roommate any favors last Sunday, though. I'd say he owes Brodie a car, or something.

FAX

keg in kc
09-12-2008, 03:13 AM
He was anything but natural in trying to catch passes in offseason workouts, and his troubles reached the point where the Chiefs were concerned he was destined to become a bust.Where does he come up with this shit?

09-12-2008, 04:43 AM
It would be hard to NOT improve on last week. I mean, damn, the ball was in his friggin hands.

Mecca
09-12-2008, 04:48 AM
He doesn't have perfect hands. If you're going to nitpick, that's his "weakness." He dropped a few easy balls last year, too.

That was his draft knock too...

TEX
09-12-2008, 04:55 AM
The pressure is on and it could be a good thing. I'd like to see how he reasonds. The good ones are able to bounce back.

CupidStunt
09-12-2008, 07:14 AM
Uh, after a great rookie season and another game in which he caught a TD, I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt that a few overblown drops are just that.

HypnotizedMonkey
09-12-2008, 07:47 AM
I want to see Bowe bounce back almost as much as I want to see Kelli bounce those jugs. :D