PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs notebook: Youth is served

Tribal Warfare
09-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Chiefs notebook: Youth is served (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/793251.html)

Youth is served

It means little, but still it was a small piece of good news to the Chiefs: They’re the youngest and least-experienced team in the NFL.

The league analyzed opening-day rosters and found the Chiefs to have the lowest average age of 25.57 years. That’s matched only by Green Bay. Chiefs players have average NFL experience of 3.45 years, also lowest in the league.

“It’s something that’s probably a shock to a lot of people because two years and last year we were one of the oldest teams,” coach Herm Edwards said. “The good part for us is that these guys will have the chance to play together for us for a long time. We’re starting to build something we like.”

Croyle, minus sling

Quarterback Brodie Croyle didn’t practice, but he did attend and didn’t have his right arm in a sling. Croyle won’t play Sunday against Oakland at Arrowhead Stadium, and the Chiefs expect him to miss at least one additional game.

“He’s getting better,” Edwards said. “That’s a good sign. We won’t rush him. You can’t rush those guys in that situation.”

Edwards repeated that Croyle would start whenever he’s ready to play and that he would be the starter for the rest of the season.

Safety Jarrad Page, who didn’t practice Wednesday because of a sore back, took a full workload Thursday. The Chiefs also removed receiver Will Franklin from their injury report.

TrickyNicky
09-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Brodie's arm looked much better. He was pouring water for his teammates with little to no difficulty.

MGRS13
09-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Chiefs notebook: Youth is served (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/793251.html)

Youth is served

It means little, but still it was a small piece of good news to the Chiefs: They’re the youngest and least-experienced team in the NFL.

The league analyzed opening-day rosters and found the Chiefs to have the lowest average age of 25.57 years. That’s matched only by Green Bay. Chiefs players have average NFL experience of 3.45 years, also lowest in the league.

“It’s something that’s probably a shock to a lot of people because two years and last year we were one of the oldest teams,” coach Herm Edwards said. “The good part for us is that these guys will have the chance to play together for us for a long time. We’re starting to build something we like.”

Croyle, minus sling

Quarterback Brodie Croyle didn’t practice, but he did attend and didn’t have his right arm in a sling. Croyle won’t play Sunday against Oakland at Arrowhead Stadium, and the Chiefs expect him to miss at least one additional game.

“He’s getting better,” Edwards said. “That’s a good sign. We won’t rush him. You can’t rush those guys in that situation.”

Edwards repeated that Croyle would start whenever he’s ready to play and that he would be the starter for the rest of the season.

Safety Jarrad Page, who didn’t practice Wednesday because of a sore back, took a full workload Thursday. The Chiefs also removed receiver Will Franklin from their injury report.
What Herm ment to say was he's not in a rush to have Croyle back in two weeks only to leave in the third quarter of that game due to yet another injury from a routine play.

Hammock Parties
09-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Brodie's arm looked much better. He was pouring water for his teammates with little to no difficulty.

What do you think Teicher meant by "youth is served?"

Croyle is practicing for his new career in food service.

MGRS13
09-11-2008, 10:50 PM
But later stubbed his toe on the water table and tore his acl.

FAX
09-11-2008, 10:50 PM

Good. This is one of the precious few areas where I am forced to support Hermoine. He's a knucklehead of the first order, but (right or wrong) he sticks to his guns on his quarterback and that's a good thing.

FAX

keg in kc
09-11-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Franklin on the field Sunday.

Hammock Parties
09-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Imagine if Franklin is playing the slot last week instead of Darling. Maybe he scores?

booger
09-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Chiefs QB Croyle could be down to final strike
By Michael Blunda
Sept. 11, 2008

Chiefs QB Brodie Croyle

Unless Brodie Croyle suddenly becomes a picture of health, his days as the Chiefs’ top quarterback could be numbered.

Already known as someone with durability questions, Croyle suffered yet another injury in Week One when he separated his shoulder on a hit by Patriots LB Adalius Thomas. He’s expected to be sidelined for 2-4 weeks.

The way we hear it, Croyle might have only one more shot to prove to Kansas City that he can physically hold up over a significant stretch of games. In his seven starts — the Chiefs have lost all seven — Croyle has suffered an injury in three different contests. For a guy expected to be a franchise QB, that’s not exactly a good track record.

Following his latest injury, word is Croyle’s leash is beginning to shorten up, and it could get extremely short upon his return. Although Damon Huard is expected to start in his absence, the Chiefs have said that second-year player Tyler Thigpen will get a share of the playing time. If Thigpen, whose rollout style is a better fit for offensive coordinator Chan Gailey’s system, plays well in his first meaningful game action, the pressure on Croyle will mount even higher.

Croyle has been assured he’ll get the starting gig back once he’s healthy, but we’re hearing that this very likely will be the Chiefs’ final guarantee to him. If injuries force the 2006 third-rounder out yet again, the team finally might pull the plug on any hopes of Croyle being their QB of the future.

Whether or not Thigpen is the long-term answer remains to be seen, but he’ll certainly get an opportunity over the next few weeks to prove that he could be. If he fails to impress, expect president/GM/CEO Carl Peterson to look long and hard at a quarterback in the first round of the ’09 draft — if Peterson’s still around by then.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+West/Kansas+City/WWHI/2008/wwhi091108.htm

FAX
09-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Some hellacious reportage, right there ...

... could be numbered ... the way we hear it ... might have only one ... word is ... it could get ... is expected to ... we’re hearing that ... very likely will be ... team finally might ...

FAX

DaneMcCloud
09-12-2008, 12:32 AM
Unless Brodie Croyle suddenly becomes a picture of health, his days as the Chiefs’ top quarterback could be numbered.

Croyle may have all the ability in the world but you can't lead the club if you're always in the tub.

booger
09-12-2008, 12:34 AM
Yeah i hear yah about their "way we hear it" stuff.

But with gretz's take on the tuesday PC of Herm's words and the recent local articles basically saying the same, i think this is truley Brodies last shot when he gets back to prove he can stay healthy and produce.

Which is a great thing.

booger
09-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Croyle may have all the ability in the world but you can't lead the club if you're always in the tub.

I agree. He reminds me size wise as a Tim Hassleback(Matt's Bro) and both the Detmer Bro's.

He may just be destined to be a career backup.

FAX
09-12-2008, 12:39 AM
I've been one of his ardent and vocal supporters, but I'm troubled by this last deal.

I still believe he has the skills to be a very solid, NFL QB. Unfortunately, he may be one of the unluckiest guys to ever play the game. I agree with the notion that he needs to step it up and stay available. That's going to take more than just Croyle's attitude, though. Herm needs to figure some ways to keep the pressure off him, Bowe needs to catch some balls, and his backs need to pick up their blocks.

FAX

booger
09-12-2008, 12:49 AM
The right side of the line pisses me of the most now as far as the offense goes. I should say just RT. Jones is progressing well at RG. Everyone blew up at him in the bears preseason game where he pulled and missed a block badly. But he has never played G before. With Waters back to his old self i would think Rudy could slide to his right more often than not to help out Jones.

McIntosh is fragile himself with his leg,knee, ankle/achilles strains etc. Plus he still hasn't adjusted to playing the right side. Herm is big on keeping the 5 of them going for the chemistry but I would rather see Taylor get at least a series here and there to see if he was to start what he could do at RT. Having Mac this season play the swing tackle backing up both spots as Taylor currently is would be much better IMO.

Taylor started all 4 years at TCU the first 3 at RT. He may not be a mauler type either but seems a good 20 lbs heavier than the 295 he is listed at. From wachting him in the preaseason i think he is stronger and get's more push than Mac as well as better pass pro.

Eventually he could even be the RG when Richardson is ready for RT duties.

philfree
09-12-2008, 06:38 AM
Taylor started all 4 years at TCU the first 3 at RT. He may not be a mauler type either but seems a good 20 lbs heavier than the 295 he is listed at. From wachting him in the preaseason i think he is stronger and get's more push than Mac as well as better pass pro.

Eventually he could even be the RG when Richardson is ready for RT duties.

To me if Taylor is doing a good job at RT then we should give Richards a shot at RG. If he's a good run blocker then maybe he can transfer that to the G position..

PhilFree:arrow: