PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whitlock: Someone should pay for Chiefs' sorry showing

irishjayhawk
09-14-2008, 07:26 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/796790.html

Whitlock: Someone should pay for Chiefs’ sorry showing
By JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star
Pregame reports suggested Oakland coach Lane Kiffin would be fired for losing to the Chiefs.

After Sunday’s debacle, a similar win-or-else mandate might await the remaining coaches on Kansas City’s schedule. Which begs an obvious question:

If losing to the Chiefs is a fireable offense, what should the penalty be for assembling the worst team in football?

The worst-team-in-football distinction is no longer debatable. Not after the three-hour comedy routine the Chiefs performed Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium. The NFL should consider moving the rest of the Chiefs’ games to the evening and calling their contests “Sunday Night Live.”

The whole country needs to be treated to practice-squad receiver Marques Hagans running the option. Yeah, the Chiefs ran the option on Sunday with Hagans at quarterback and Jamaal Charles as the pitch man. I swear on Barry Switzer’s beloved wishbone!

Of course it didn’t work. Nothing the Chiefs tried worked. Not Hagans. Not Tyler Thigpen. Not Damon Huard.

Demolished 23-8 by an Oakland squad in chaos, it’s clear now the Chiefs have returned to their 1970s gory era. Which begs another obvious question:

What is Clark Hunt going to do about it?

What we witnessed and experienced Sunday calls for immediate action. From start to finish, game day was a miserable ordeal. Getting to a parking space was a major hassle. Getting inside the stadium was an obstacle-course adventure. The timing of Arrowhead’s rebuilding couldn’t be worse.

Once inside and seated, the day turned even uglier. The Raiders, with a coaching staff in conflict and a quarterback incapable of operating a passing game, outclassed the Chiefs from kickoff until the final whistle.

Despite the final score, this was Missouri vs. Nevada. Don’t be fooled by the fact that Kansas City was within one score late in the fourth quarter. The scoreboard never told the story of this game. The stat sheet did.

With no threat of a passing attack, the Raiders rushed for 300 yards, and most of the ground damage was done by Oakland’s second- and third-team backs, Darren McFadden (164) and Michael Bush (90).

The Chiefs were outmanned and out-toughed. Herm Edwards, Chan Gailey and Gunther Cunningham, who pride themselves on their ability to coach tough football teams, will be on “Vince Young” watch this week.

Toss out Damon Huard’s 15-yard scramble, and the Chiefs answered Oakland’s running game with 40 yards in 18 carries. Huard, filling in for Brodie Croyle, left the game in the first quarter after suffering slight head trauma.

The Raiders beat the Chiefs with Kansas City’s game plan.

Yeah, the Chiefs wanted to run the ball, stop the run, play field-position football and wait on JaMarcus Russell to hand them the game.

“We didn’t get any of those things accomplished,” Edwards acknowledged. “They came out and knocked us off the ball and ran the ball down our throat. We got embarrassed at home in our home opener.

“We’re a much better team than that.”

I’m not so sure. The Raiders are the worst team on Kansas City’s home schedule. The Falcons and the Bengals are terrible, but they get the Chiefs at home. It’ll be a miracle if the Chiefs win four games. Losing 16 is a possibility.

Kansas City doesn’t have a quarterback, a reliable offensive line or a defensive unit capable of slowing a telegraphed running game.

JaMarcus Russell never batted an eye at a second receiver on Sunday. He probably couldn’t identify an Oakland secondary receiver in a police lineup. The few times Kiffin asked Russell to throw the ball, Russell instantly locked on to his primary receiver and then threw wildly. He completed six of his 17 attempts for 55 yards.

Defensive coordinators dream of facing a one-dimensional offense. The Chiefs had the freedom to man up on the perimeter and send nine men to stop the run. It’s inexcusable and a sign of poor front-seven personnel that McFadden, Bush and starter Justin Fargas averaged 7.8, 5.6, and 4.8 yards per carry, respectively.

Why would a sane person pay $22 to park, $75 a ticket and fight the construction traffic to watch Carl Peterson and his flunkies build a football bridge to nowhere? You can put lipstick on a pig, and it’s still a five-year Super Bowl plan that’s 20 years past due.

There’s no reason to wait. Clark Hunt should announce this week that this is Peterson’s final season. There are no lifetime contracts in professional sports, and Peterson sure as hell hasn’t earned one.

More than loyalty to Herm Edwards, the Hunts owe loyalty to the fans who have filled Arrowhead Stadium for two decades. If a new general manager/president is uninterested in working with Edwards, that is Herm’s problem. Not ours. We deserve a fresh start.

Reerun_KC
09-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Very nice article.

Agree 100%

Mizzou_8541
09-14-2008, 07:28 PM
So.....then where exactly does the Chiefs front office stand with Whitlock?

evolve27
09-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Nice agreeable article.

Lipstick on a pig referral was good.

OnTheWarpath15
09-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Nothing like pandering to the fans, Jason.

You know better than most that a change in the middle of the season solves nothing. Fire Edwards now, and we'll still see the same thing, except you'll have either Gunther or Chan to write about every Sunday.

I'm all for cleaning house, but to do so in the middle of a season is pointless.

Ebolapox
09-14-2008, 07:30 PM
we deserved a fresh start years ago. this monstrosity is inexplicable and unforgivable.

CPIggy configuration screen

Ignore UsersIgnore Words
<textarea id="iggyUsers" style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0); width: 235px; height: 150px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" type="text">Kcjohnny</textarea> <textarea id="iggyWords" style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0); width: 235px; height: 150px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" type="text"></textarea>

<input id="cpiggy_cancel" style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" onclick="javascript:document.getElementById('cpiggy_config').style.display='none';" value="Cancel Changes" type="button"> <input id="cpiggy_save" style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" onclick="javascript:document.getElementById('cpiggy_config').style.display='none';" value="Save Changes" type="button">

oaklandhater
09-14-2008, 07:31 PM

we are rebulding get over it

sarcasm

Hootie
09-14-2008, 07:31 PM
What do you think the "coaching" staff saw in practice that made them think the Hagans experience was going to be effective?

That was disgusting.

FringeNC
09-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Besides the obvious overall agreement I have with Whitlock on this one, he is spot on here:

"JaMarcus Russell never batted an eye at a second receiver on Sunday. He probably couldn’t identify an Oakland secondary receiver in a police lineup. The few times Kiffin asked Russell to throw the ball, Russell instantly locked on to his primary receiver and then threw wildly. He completed six of his 17 attempts for 55 yards."

Russell looked every bit as bad as Thigpen.

beach tribe
09-14-2008, 07:33 PM
First Whitlock article I have completely agreed on. It's all 100% fact.

el borracho
What argument could be made against any of that? Look at our remaining schedule and tell me who is worse than us. We have two, maybe three winnable games left.

09/21/08 at Atlanta Falcons 12:00 PM CBS 09/28/08 Denver Broncos 12:00 PM CBS
10/05/08 at Carolina Panthers 12:00 PM CBS
10/12/08 Bye
10/19/08 Tennessee Titans 12:00 PM CBS
10/26/08 at New York Jets 12:00 PM CBS
11/02/08 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 12:00 PM FOX
11/09/08 at San Diego Chargers 3:15 PM CBS
11/16/08 New Orleans Saints 12:00 PM FOX*
11/23/08 Buffalo Bills 12:00 PM CBS*
11/30/08 at Oakland Raiders 3:15 PM CBS* 12/07/08 at Denver Broncos 3:05 PM CBS*
12/14/08 San Diego Chargers 12:00 PM CBS*
12/21/08 Miami Dolphins 12:00 PM CBS* 12/28/08 at Cincinnati Bengals 12:00 PM CBS*

Reerun_KC

You know better than most that a change in the middle of the season solves nothing. Fire Edwards now, and we'll still see the same thing, except you'll have either Gunther or Chan to write about every Sunday.

I'm all for cleaning house, but to do so in the middle of a season is pointless.
Last I checked we are just 2 games into the season....

kcxiv
09-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Yep, the same shit we been saying here as soon as the game was over.

This shit was a joke of a game. I live in ****ing California and i have about 40 people over for a baptism party atm, and boy have i heard it. lol

cdcox
Nice piece culminating in a very well reasoned and sane recommendation for action.

Reerun_KC
What argument could be made against any of that? Look at our remaining schedule and tell me who is worse than us. We have two, maybe three winnable games left.

10/12/08 Bye
11/30/08 at Oakland Raiders 3:15 PM CBS* 12/07/08 at Denver Broncos 3:05 PM CBS*
12/21/08 Miami Dolphins 12:00 PM CBS* 12/28/08 at Cincinnati Bengals 12:00 PM CBS*
The raiders just handed us our ass today and you think we can beat them at their place?

The players will have quit on Herm and packed it in way before that...

gblowfish
He's just pissed because he had a hard time parking today.
Welcome to the club.

The Bad Guy

At least it gives us true hope that Herm and Carl are both really gone.

The last thing I want is for them to go on a win streak at the end of the year to save their jobs for next year.

Fire them now.

beach tribe
What do you think the "coaching" staff saw in practice that made them think the Hagans experience was going to be effective?

That was disgusting.

Herm's explanation:

"Have you theen my bathball?"

oaklandhater
09-14-2008, 07:35 PM

if clark fired herm on monday I can guarantee that at least the majority of chiefs fans will be happy that clark will not allow failure.

cdcox

Read it again. Coaching staff and Carl stay in place until the end of the season. But Carl is gone at the end. Herm is left to make his own case with the new GM.

***SPRAYER
Look on the bright side. Only two more years, and you can appreciate what Jets fans experienced.

OnTheWarpath15
09-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Last I checked we are just 2 games into the season....

Yeah?

That's in the middle of a season. After the season has started, and before the season ends.

Firing Herm now solves nothing. We get more of the same from Gunther or Gailey.

I'd rather they wait until the offseason, and completely clean house. Anyone they could possibly be interested in is already working for another team.

Hootie
09-14-2008, 07:36 PM
what's the point of firing during the season?

Reerun_KC
09-14-2008, 07:37 PM

The last thing I want is for them to go on a win streak at the end of the year to save their jobs for next year.

Fire them now.
this I agree with 100%

Reerun_KC
Yeah?

That's in the middle of a season. After the season has started, and before the season ends.

I'd rather they wait until the offseason, and completely clean house. Anyone they could possibly be interested in is already working for another team.
Fair enough, I wont argue that point.

Raiderhater58

That was disgusting.

Yeah 'nuff said, WTF were they thinkin'?!?!?!?!

oaklandhater
09-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Yeah?

If fireing Herm means nothing why dont they just do it to appease the damm fan's its not like its going to help us win or lose.

***SPRAYER
09-14-2008, 07:38 PM
what's the point of firing during the season?

Herm wouldn't mind. He gets paid to do nothing, either way.

OnTheWarpath15
09-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Read it again. Coaching staff and Carl stay in place until the end of the season. But Carl is gone at the end. Herm is left to make his own case with the new GM.

That's not exactly immediate action, now is it?

(part of my mis-understanding)

If Carl is still in place, what's the difference between telling him he's done, and just firing him when the season's over?

End result: Carl is still here in 2008.

the Talking Can
just slice someone's balls open

el borracho
The raiders just handed us our ass today and you think we can beat them at their place?

The players will have quit on Herm and packed it in way before that...

The Raiders at their place probably represents our 2nd best chance for a win this season (Miami at Miami being the best chance). Keep in mind how bad the Raiders are; they might not win again until November.

gblowfish
Firing Herm during the season would certainly make a statement.

Then you could make Gunther head coach, or bring back John Mackovic or Marty for the rest of the season...or Clark Hunt could go old school and coach the team himself ala Al Davis!

We still wouldn't win, but at least it would be more entertaining that this POS.

FringeNC
09-14-2008, 07:40 PM

I wouldn't want to be in charge of attempting to make that case for why Herm should be retained.

ChiefsFanatic
09-14-2008, 07:40 PM

Actually, what he suggested was firing Carl Peterson. He then insinuated that the new GM may want to hire his own coach. He never said fire Herm Edwards. Usually when a new GM is hired/promoted during the season, they keep the coaching staff until the end of the season.

***SPRAYER
09-14-2008, 07:41 PM
The Raiders at their place probably represents our 2nd best chance for a win this season (Miami at Miami being the best chance). Keep in mind how bad the Raiders are; they might not win again until November.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I think the Dolphins at home will beat the Chiefs.

Deberg_1990
Arrowhead is going to be a very lonely place in November and December...

OnTheWarpath15
If fireing Herm means nothing why dont they just do it to appease the damm fan's its not like its going to help us win or lose.

That's how retarded this fan base is.

"I'm OK with watching the same bullshit for the next 14 games, as long as Herm Edwards isn't the HC."

Brilliant.

Zouk
09-14-2008, 07:42 PM
This stuff is all silly. Herm will sink or swim based on whether he has the team looking promising and winning in November and December, not based on what happens while playing with an overmatched 3rd QB in September.

tk13
09-14-2008, 07:43 PM
The cards are in place. Carl will be fired, Marty will be hired as GM. With Cowher waiting in the wings!

:)

OnTheWarpath15
09-14-2008, 07:43 PM
I wouldn't want to be in charge of attempting to make that case for why Herm should be retained.

And that's where people are mis-reading me.

Herm Edwards should absolutely be fired, along with EVERYONE else in the FO.

But doing it during the season solves nothing, and creates more problems than it solves.

OnTheWarpath15
09-14-2008, 07:44 PM
The cards are in place. Carl will be fired, Marty will be hired as GM. With Cowher waiting in the wings!

Goddammit, TK.

Quit encouraging these ****tards.

Spott
09-14-2008, 07:45 PM
0-16 would be fine with me if it would get Carl & Herm out of here. Too bad 0-16 might only get us the 2nd pick in the draft behind St Louis.

oaklandhater
That's how retarded this fan base is.

"I'm OK with watching the same bullshit for the next 14 games, as long as Herm Edwards isn't the HC."

Brilliant.

Godamm man we havent won a play off game in 15 years and carl is the longest retain gm in the league .

Clark needs to throw us a bone here right now no one has faith he will make a change at the end of the season.

blueballs
Since they have to be paid
buy a Bed and Breakfast
and make them run it

***SPRAYER
09-14-2008, 07:46 PM
You guys should go after Bill Cowher.

J Diddy
09-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Arrowhead is going to be a very lonely place in November and December...

I just had a vision of them 3 guys in the movie major league

"hey maybe we should do the wave, or something"

The Bad Guy
09-14-2008, 07:47 PM

And that would be a stark improvement over what we have now.

oaklandhater
And that's where people are mis-reading me.

Herm Edwards should absolutely be fired, along with EVERYONE else in the FO.

But doing it during the season solves nothing, and creates more problems than it solves.

How does it create any more problems then we all rdy have it doesnt get much worst then this the majority of fans have zero faith in this team and its coaching Staff as of right now?

cdcox
If Carl is still in place, what's the difference between telling him he's done, and just firing him when the season's over?

I could do my happy dance in September instead of January.

KCinNY
09-14-2008, 07:48 PM

Fire them now.

Seriously....do you think this team is capable of a win streak???

This team has a real chance at running the table at 0-16.

Today was KC's most winnable game.

tk13
Goddammit, TK.

Quit encouraging these ****tards.
The seats will be full again! The glory days will return! Every November and December game will be sold out as Marty is wheeled out onto the field upon a golden throne, back to save us again!

oaklandhater
the future is neigh

The Bad Guy
09-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Seriously....do you think this team is capable of a win streak???

This team has a real chance at running the table at 0-16.

Today was KC's most winnable game.

I don't.

However, there have been some strange ass things happen to punish this franchise over the years.

Going on a 3 game win streak to end the season might be enough for Clark to keep them around.

Firing both of them right now shows that Clark has a set of balls, and won't tolerate this shit.

OnTheWarpath15
09-14-2008, 07:50 PM
How does it create any more problems then we all rdy have it doesnt get much worst then this the majority of fans have zero faith in this team and its coaching Staff as of right now?

Who do you suggest we bring in?

You have approximately 11 jobs to fill - in the middle of a season.

GM
HC
OC
DC
DL Coach
DB Coach
QB Coach
RB Coach
WR Coach
TE Coach
ST Coach

oaklandhater
09-14-2008, 07:51 PM
I don't.

Firing both of them right now shows that Clark has a set of balls, and won't tolerate this shit.

Exactly why they should be fired monday morning sep 15th 2008.

StcChief
09-14-2008, 07:51 PM
the "real" fans are continuing to pay....

oaklandhater
09-14-2008, 07:53 PM

GM
HC
OC
DC
DL Coach
DB Coach
QB Coach
RB Coach
WR Coach
TE Coach
ST Coach

Im not saying fire the whole coaching staff midseason we need to cut the head off the snake fire herm and let chan gailey take over as hc and do OC playcalling based on how he does the rest of the season he will either keep his job as hc/oc or take the next bus out of KC its a win win.

Tribal Warfare
Godamm man we havent won a play off game in 15 years and carl is the longest retain gm in professional sports .

FYP

Smed1065
Herm is built in for next year. He met Clark in an airport stall.

Or maybe he does not want a new coach every 2 years just to beat teams like ours, while adding over 50 million in the same year.

Damn BC.

OnTheWarpath15
09-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Im not saying fire the whole coaching staff midseason we need to cut the head off the snake fire herm and let chan gailey take over as hc and do OC playcalling based on how he does the rest of the season he will either keep his job as hc/oc or take the next bus out of KC its a win win.

Exactly as I thought.

:spock:

Smed1065
09-14-2008, 07:55 PM

GM
HC
OC
DC
DL Coach
DB Coach
QB Coach
RB Coach
WR Coach
TE Coach
ST Coach

Damn new OC in 2 games?

:doh!:

Where is Solari?

The good old days.......

:evil:

Tribal Warfare
09-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Is Pioli still available, or did someone already snagged him from NE?

oaklandhater
09-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Exactly as I thought.

:spock:

I dont understand whats so bad about letting Chan Gailey take over as HC it cant be any worst then it is now .

OnTheWarpath15
09-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Damn new OC in 2 games?

:doh!:

Where is Solari?

The good old days.......

:evil:

Don't look at me, dude.

I'm not the one looking to make changes in the middle of a season.

People want Carl fired, and it simply can't happen in the middle of a season. First, any GM we'd want is likely working for another franchise in some capacity. Why do it now, and not have a full complement of candidates available?

The only way to do it is to fire Herm and Carl now, and replace them with Kuharich and Gunther.

More of the same...

09-14-2008, 08:02 PM
gee Jason. Thought you were going to be more positive this year.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Carl AND Herm need to go.

DeezNutz
09-14-2008, 08:08 PM
It's too bad that it's not really possible to pull a Miami: Bring in a GM replacement to evaluate the coaching staff for the rest of the season. Thus we're prepared to hit the ground running in the off-season and make the necessary changes.

Hire a new GM = time. New GM to hire coach = more time. All of this possibly causing KC to lose out on a top target or two, both with respect to coaches and FA's.

macdawg
09-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Great article and I too find it highly amusing that Kiffin would have been fired for losing to the Chiefs. What are we going to do? I'm fine with rebuilding but you at least have to put a professional level football team on the field for a 2-3 year rebuild time frame, not 10+ years.

Nightfyre
09-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Hey, we could give Kiffin a real shot at being a HC in 2009 :p I seriously don't know anything about him other than he has zero control in Oak.

Psyko Tek
09-14-2008, 08:34 PM

10/12/08 Bye

on the brighter side I can now fill out the rest of my survivors pool

KCFalcon59
09-14-2008, 08:37 PM
I agree with the article, and if I was owner I would have have an INTERIM GM and HC tomorrow. Worry about replacing at the end of the season.

KCUnited
09-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Why would we want to fire Herm? Oakland proved his system works today. We just got out Hermed is all.

Deberg_1990
09-14-2008, 08:43 PM
It's too bad that it's not really possible to pull a Miami: Bring in a GM replacement to evaluate the coaching staff for the rest of the season. Thus we're prepared to hit the ground running in the off-season and make the necessary changes.

It is really possible. We have an owner with no sack.

FAX
09-14-2008, 08:44 PM
JaMarcus Russell ... probably couldn’t identify an Oakland secondary receiver in a police lineup.

ROFL

Well, as much as I hate to agree with Jason "Pass The Butter" Whitlock, ever, I have to admit that he nailed this one. Herm is out of his league. Hopefully, that won't be a figurative statement much longer.

FAX

Coach
09-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Carl AND Herm need to go.

http://purgatorio1.com/wp-content/pics/DogPray.jpg

chiefs1111
09-14-2008, 08:49 PM

For the love of god,please anything but that

ChiefsCountry
09-14-2008, 08:52 PM
No offense but anybody who knew anything about this team knew they were going to suck major balls this year. Hunt basically acknowledged this and I think he is smart enough to know that making a change right now would be a Al Davis/Jerry Jones/Daniel Snyder irrational decision. Herm is a dipshit but he is rebuilding this thing the right way through the draft. Its going to be 2010 before this team is any good, we have too many holes that was caused by poor drafting something Hunt admits and wants to correct. Hell we could have went out and did what Miami did and fake a rebuild by signing a bunch of free agents. Its going to be bad folks, but I will take the butt sex offense and shitty seasons if it means the next decade we are the next Patriots or the Chiefs of the 60s.

Skip Towne
09-14-2008, 08:53 PM
The Chiefs have become a joke. Herm is a complete loser. Look at his record. My 20 year old daughter is making fun of me for being a Chiefs fan. Fire Carl and Herm!!

L.A. Chieffan
09-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Rebuilding Whitlock. Get over it.

DeezNutz
09-14-2008, 08:54 PM
It is really possible. We have an owner with no sack.

Whom should Clark bring in?

Hammock Parties
09-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Yeah?

bill cowher? has chiefs ties, sort of

CoMoChief
09-14-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm fully convinced U$C could have beaten us today with the way the Chiefs played.

FAX
09-14-2008, 08:58 PM
The Chiefs have become a joke. Herm is a complete loser. Look at his record. My 20 year old daughter is making fun of me for being a Chiefs fan. Fire Carl and Herm!!

Hmmm. That's bad. Real bad. But, since it's your daughter, we can't bash her in the noggin'. What do we do?

FAX

FAX
09-14-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm fully convinced U$C could have beaten us today with the way the Chiefs played.

I agree that the Kansas City Chiefs couldn't have defeated a lot of college teams today, Mr. CoMoChief. I await Clarkie's reaction (if any) with great interest.

FAX

Nightfyre
09-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Hmmm. That's bad. Real bad. But, since it's your daughter, we can't bash her in the noggin'. What do we do?

FAX

bash her in the noggin' emotionally?

Groves
09-14-2008, 09:04 PM
I thought Kiffin has been trying to get fired anyway. He's out Costanza-ing Costanza.

Deberg_1990
09-14-2008, 09:07 PM

Theres probably no one with the stature of a Bill Parcells available to do that. Thats why Miami could get away with that because it was Bill Parcells.

But at the end of the year id like to see a young, hungry GM with ZERO ties to the current organization come in and bring new blood.

Pretty much like what happened in 89 when Carl came in.

Mecca mentioned Bill Polians son in another thread. Sounds good to me.

RJ
09-14-2008, 09:19 PM
If we go 0-16, next season is almost certain to be an improvement.

DeezNutz
09-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Theres probably no one with the stature of a Bill Parcells available to do that. Thats why Miami could get away with that because it was Bill Parcells.

But at the end of the year id like to see a young, hungry GM with ZERO ties to the current organization come in and bring new blood.

Sounds great. Unfortunately, we're going to have to exercise patience in the short term.

irishjayhawk
09-14-2008, 09:54 PM

How bout Mecca? He seems spot on so far. ;)

brent102fire
09-14-2008, 10:04 PM

10/12/08 Bye

I think the Chiefs have a good chance of not losing on 10/12/08. It will be tough, but I think they could pull it off...:D

Buehler445
09-14-2008, 10:18 PM

I say we hire Mecca as GM and OTW as HC.

triple
09-14-2008, 10:39 PM
whitlock is right. the defense is just as pitiful as the offense.

the offense asks too much of them with all their 3-play drives, but even though Russell might be the worst starting QB in the NFL not playing for Kansas City, the chiefs can't even just stack the box and demand that he beat them.

this is what most teams would look like with 10 or 9 guys on the field

SBK
09-14-2008, 10:55 PM
We won't beat anybody. Someone may beat themselves along the way, but this team is horrid.

chiefsfan1963
09-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Definitely want to rebuild but w/o the entire current Front Office and Coaching Staff!

Phobia
09-14-2008, 11:21 PM

I could probably clear my schedule and I promise I'm not running up the center's butt 85% of the 1st downs.

FAX
09-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Herm gets a pass this year due to the "rebuild". He'll get a pass next year due to a change at the QB position. After that, we'll see. There has to be somebody he can throw to the wolves. Maybe the OC again? Or Gun.

FAX

FAX
09-14-2008, 11:25 PM
What's Jimmy Johnson doing these days? Is he still alive or did he go the way of John Goodman?

Hell, I'd take anybody ... just for the entertainment value if nothing else. How about Jim Mora Sr.? He was a hoot.

FAX

Al Bundy
09-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Why would a sane person pay $22 to park, $75 a ticket and fight the construction traffic to watch Carl Peterson and his flunkies build a football bridge to nowhere? You can put lipstick on a pig, and it’s still a five-year Super Bowl plan that’s 20 years past due.

Classic and 100% true.

kregger
09-14-2008, 11:30 PM
This is all in the master plan. Clark wants us to suck sooo bad this year that no fans show up and construction can continue around the clock. No local TV to rile up the natives and certainly a very high draft pick yet again. Plenty of money to eventually buy every free agent when the CBA expires in 2010 and we are SuperBowl bound with our brand new stadium upgrade.

TinyEvel
09-14-2008, 11:57 PM
time for THE REBUILDINATOR!!!!!!

picasso
09-15-2008, 12:45 AM
Cleaning house would send a great message to the team that the ones that have their head up their asses need to respond with something positive. LJ!!!

picasso
09-15-2008, 12:47 AM
Comes down to leadership not necessarily talent. And this team has absolutely no leadership.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Comes down to leadership not necessarily talent. And this team has absolutely no leadership.

Bullshit.

This is the youngest team in the NFL. While there have been successful drafts these past two seasons, the Chiefs are so bereft of talent it's going to be a while before the roster can be considered "talented". And until that happens, there probably won't be too many guys offering to "lead".

Who wants to captain the Titanic?

KCJohnny
09-15-2008, 03:49 AM
whitlock is right. the defense is just as pitiful as the offense.

the offense asks too much of them with all their 3-play drives, but even though Russell might be the worst starting QB in the NFL not playing for Kansas City, the chiefs can't even just stack the box and demand that he beat them.

this is what most teams would look like with 10 or 9 guys on the field

No, triple, the defense is at least twice as bad. Giving up 300 yards rushing to a team that cannot pass to save their lives is a humiliation of biblical proportions.

I think if you or I had played MLB we could have kept Oakland to 250.

cookster50
09-15-2008, 06:50 AM
My 20 year old daughter is making fun of me for being a Chiefs fan. Fire Carl and Herm!!

Is she hot?

HonestChieffan
09-15-2008, 08:03 AM
JW spot on.

Bob Dole
09-15-2008, 08:35 AM

Unfortunately, we're not even close to the middle yet...

triple
09-15-2008, 09:11 AM
The idea that you can't clean house at midseason is stupid.

In most cases, not a great idea. But this is exceptional. The atmosphere is poisonous and the young players are not going to develop in the midst of this. The coaching staff is not capable of even keeping from getting embarrassed.

You can't responsibly subject the young players to 14 more weeks of this. You're basically setting all of them back a year.

You can fire the head coach today. The chiefs probably should.

DTLB58
09-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Best article he has ever written.

Of course pretty much any of us could have wrote this after the story was all but written for us yesterday.

FringeNC
09-15-2008, 09:57 AM
There is a part of it I disagree with. Herm should be fired now, rather than Carl. Fire Gun, too, and promote Gailey to HC. The new GM needs to have information about the talent level of the team, and that will be hard to determine given the "going through the motions" that exists under Herm and Gun. Fire their asses TODAY so at least the new GM can observe a team using legitimate NFL schemes.

ROYC75
09-15-2008, 10:14 AM
I knew I should have canceled my Sunday Ticket this year ......... Wonder how much I can save if I do it now ?

CoMoChief
09-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Huard's injury is fake.

Why Herm wanted to see what we had out of a 7th rd pick out of ECC and play him in a reg season game is beyond me. I fell out of my seat when we ran Hagans. I guess Herm forgot that these games actually count.

Losing games (like this) can really deflate any morale this team ever had to being with, with all the young players we have, they aren't used to losing like this.....if at all really.

Yesterday was the first time I sat in front of the TV and it actually felt like we weren't even trying to win this game. It was the home opener......against our biggest rival.....you have to do whatever is possible to win these kinds of games. You don't send out a QB you just signed off of someone elses PS and have him run the ****in option in the NFL. And you sure as hell don't have a NFL veteran backup fake an injury to see what you got in a 7th rd pick PS player out of ECC. Surely the coaching staff has to think he's not or hasn't or won't be the answer at QB.

This was just simply redicilous what we all saw yesterday......I'm talking old Tampa Bay Buccs bad.

R&GHomer
09-15-2008, 11:03 AM
As much as I hate to admit it, but ole large one is spot on. That was the worst Chiefs game I have ever seen. Absolutely horrible!!! rebuilding or not this team has more talent than was witnessed Sunday and that falls squarley on the coaches.

38yrsfan
09-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Out of decades of viewing, that was one of the most inept displays of team building and game plan execution I have ever witnessed. In all fairness, I am assuming there was a plan because he had a clipboard/laminated sheet to occasionally glance at and hide behind.

Red Dawg
09-15-2008, 11:38 AM
"There’s no reason to wait. Clark Hunt should announce this week that this is Peterson’s final season. There are no lifetime contracts in professional sports, and Peterson sure as hell hasn’t earned one."

He really got this right. This is the best 3 sentences he's ever written.

J Diddy
09-15-2008, 11:42 AM
I knew I should have canceled my Sunday Ticket this year ......... Wonder how much I can save if I do it now ?

I don't think they'll let you cancel if you're a chiefs fan, they'll lose too much money

Dave Lane
09-15-2008, 12:32 PM
No, triple, the defense is at least twice as bad. Giving up 300 yards rushing to a team that cannot pass to save their lives is a humiliation of biblical proportions.

I think if you or I had played MLB we could have kept Oakland to 250.

Now that is funny!

BIG_DADDY
09-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Amen

Calcountry
09-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Why wait until the end of the season? Has Carl really earned that level of respect? He should be fired immediately.

Calcountry
09-15-2008, 03:23 PM
nothing, your in till the end of the season, I tried to do that last year.

Just tivo the games so you can speed through them.

ChiefaRoo
09-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Huard's injury is fake.

Why Herm wanted to see what we had out of a 7th rd pick out of ECC and play him in a reg season game is beyond me. I fell out of my seat when we ran Hagans. I guess Herm forgot that these games actually count.

Losing games (like this) can really deflate any morale this team ever had to being with, with all the young players we have, they aren't used to losing like this.....if at all really.

Yesterday was the first time I sat in front of the TV and it actually felt like we weren't even trying to win this game. It was the home opener......against our biggest rival.....you have to do whatever is possible to win these kinds of games. You don't send out a QB you just signed off of someone elses PS and have him run the ****in option in the NFL. And you sure as hell don't have a NFL veteran backup fake an injury to see what you got in a 7th rd pick PS player out of ECC. Surely the coaching staff has to think he's not or hasn't or won't be the answer at QB.

This was just simply redicilous what we all saw yesterday......I'm talking old Tampa Bay Buccs bad.

It's a G**damned disgrace!
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/memphischad/patches.jpg

KCTitus
09-15-2008, 06:27 PM
I dont care what anybody says, this is NOT rebuilding. This is a fricking mess...chaos, crap, and cluelessness all rolled up into one fetid stinking football team.

Honestly, this looked like preseason game #6...and there's no end in sight to the preseason games. It's clear that by week 2, KC's given up on the season and is vying for the #1 overall pick. I can only imagine what piece of crap Herm and Carl manage to pluck from the draft.

Sure-Oz
09-15-2008, 06:29 PM
I love how Thigpen had to aks Huard "how come you aren't going back in?" no communication on the sidelines or anything....a big ****ing lie by herm making up some bullshit head trauma and huard is a gutless douche that takes it....

Spott
09-15-2008, 06:31 PM
I dont care what anybody says, this is NOT rebuilding. This is a fricking mess...chaos, crap, and cluelessness all rolled up into one fetid stinking football team.

Honestly, this looked like preseason game #6...and there's no end in sight to the preseason games. It's clear that by week 2, KC's given up on the season and is vying for the #1 overall pick. I can only imagine what piece of crap Herm and Carl manage to pluck from the draft.

Todd Blackledge Jr should be available with the 1st pick.

ChiTown
09-15-2008, 06:35 PM

:clap:

Sure-Oz
09-15-2008, 06:36 PM

All i know is that this coaching staff better not have our next future QB, they will destroy him

Earthling
09-15-2008, 06:47 PM
For the first time in my memory, and I am 58, I no longer really care if I miss a Chiefs game on the tube. I can't believe my enthusiasm and passion for the team has sunk so low. In past years there was absolutely NO WAY IN HELL I would miss a Chiefs game. Now...?? Won"t upset me too much...

luv
09-15-2008, 06:49 PM
If we go 0-16, next season is almost certain to be an improvement.

LMAO....

Yeah, we could be 1-15.

KCTitus
09-15-2008, 07:07 PM

Heh...wouldnt that just beat all? I mean after Carl picked Todd, it was all downhill after that.

WilliamTheIrish
09-15-2008, 07:32 PM
I love you Titus. Not in a ghey way.

KCHawg
09-15-2008, 08:28 PM

10/12/08 Bye

My prediction is we are 0-15 on 12/28 - same record as the Bungals, loser gets 1st pick in 09 draft.

In true Chiefs fashion we ****ing annihilate the Bungals and screw up the 1st pick hopes..........

stonedstooge
09-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Oh well it was only one game. Plenty of time
Oh well it was only the second game. Plenty of time
Oh well it was only the third game. Plenty of time
Oh well it was only the fourth game. Plenty of time
Oh well it was only the fifth game. Plenty of time
Oh well it was only the sixth game. Still time
Oh well it was only the seventh game. Still have time
Oh well it was only the eighth game. We have time
Oh well it was only the ninth game. We still have a chance
Oh well it was only the tenth game. We just need to start a streak
Oh well it was only the eleventh game. We are rebuilding
Oh well it was only game 12. We are showing improvement
Oh well it was only game 13. We have a positive attitude
Oh well it was only game 14. We're going to start seeing who wants to be back here next year
Oh well it was only game 15. We're going to try some new people out there
Oh well it was the last game and we can pack and go home. No I don't watch the playoffs I play with my daughters. Shit.

Show the fans you care Clarke and get rid of them NOW!

TheCloser
09-15-2008, 08:58 PM
"You can put lipstick on a pig, and it’s still a five-year Super Bowl plan that’s 20 years past due."

Priceless

Mr. Plow
09-15-2008, 09:09 PM

Fire them now.

Exactly.

prhom
09-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Well boys, now we know what Herm's REAL rebuilding plan is. There's no doubt now that he's coaching us to a #1 pick.

prhom
09-15-2008, 09:23 PM
I love how Thigpen had to aks Huard "how come you aren't going back in?" no communication on the sidelines or anything....a big ****ing lie by herm making up some bullshit head trauma and huard is a gutless douche that takes it....

I don't know, what Chiefs fan didn't have a "mild head trauma" after watching that mess. I don't think I can blame Huard too much for that!

BigRock
09-15-2008, 09:43 PM
I can't believe how many of you are clapping and cheering this article. You know what this article is? It's Whitlock calling Chiefs fans a bunch of morons.

Here's a loose translation of it:

Yeah, I wrote a bunch of times about how I was going to be more positive, and how we couldn't judge this year's team like seasons past. But, shit, those 9-7 rubes that fill Arrowhead every year and get distracted by shiny objects, they don't care about any of that.

And they'll be so mad after this game that I can turn it into my 9,372th column about how Carl should be fired. They won't even notice that I'm going back on everything I said before the season. They won't even notice how I'm just using them to further my own agenda of finally bringing down King Carl.

If anything, they'll be lining up to pat me on the back for writing it.

Response: WE LOVE JASON!!! THE LINE TO PAT HIM ON THE BACK STARTS RIGHT HERE!!!

Buehler445
09-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Bullshit.

This is the youngest team in the NFL. While there have been successful drafts these past two seasons, the Chiefs are so bereft of talent it's going to be a while before the roster can be considered "talented". And until that happens, there probably won't be too many guys offering to "lead".

Who wants to captain the Titanic?

This probably doesn't matter, but the announcers during the Pats game said that Green Bay is the youngest team and we are the 2nd youngest.

Huard's injury is fake.

This most certainly was not playing to win the game. It's goddamn Raider week. You have to put together a gameplan to beat the Raiders. We weren't even competitive. Not even close. You have to find something to win. Fire the guys up, have them rip someone's head off on the first play, go deep on them. Something.

I don't care how young and inexperienced you are. You cannot get dominated by a bad Fade team at home on opening freaking day. That is not young. That is just flat terrible.

This Fade team is bad. They got booty spanked at home on MNF by the Donko bitches. They can't pass the ball. All they can do is run 2 rookies at us, and we give them 300 yards. ROBERT GALLERY WAS DOMINATING US.

This game was not a result of young talent making mistakes. It was a bad team making mental errors and lacking toughness. I expected a letdown after the Pats game, but this is completely unacceptable.

Mecca
09-15-2008, 10:12 PM
That's the thing that makes the Chiefs look bad, Green Bay is very young and is good...

HIChief
09-15-2008, 10:36 PM

Whitlock is calling for Peterson's head, not necessarily Herm's. Although, chances are Edwards would not be far behind him if the team were placed under new management.

BIG K
09-15-2008, 10:51 PM
I am good with the plan as it is...Honestly, 1st pick in next years draft? Who here is not happy with that? As long as there is a new GM, and head coach that goes along with that first pick, I am a happy man...

Zouk
09-15-2008, 10:55 PM
That's the thing that makes the Chiefs look bad, Green Bay is very young and is good...

Number of rookies the Packers have as regulars on offense or defense this year: 0

(Jordy Nelson is the 5th receiver -he played a little last week only because James Jones was hurt - B. Brohm, P. Lee, J. Finley, and J. Thompson were all inactive the first 2 weeks)

Number of rookies the Chiefs have as regulars on offense or defense this year: 10

A couple of years ago (2006), the Packers played a lot of rookies. They lost 26-0 at home on opening day and started 1-4. Fans started a petition to have Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy fired. These are actual facts.

Mecca
09-15-2008, 10:59 PM
How many good players do the Packers have from the 2006 draft opposed to the Chiefs because right now.......those players they aren't lookin so good for the Chiefs and it's a problem.

Zouk
09-15-2008, 11:03 PM
How many good players do the Packers have from the 2006 draft opposed to the Chiefs because right now.......those players they aren't lookin so good for the Chiefs and it's a problem.

I'm sure as a Packers fan in early 2006 you would have been there preaching patience when they were getting their ass beat and fans were in meltdown mode. Those guys looked pretty crappy then too.

Micjones
09-16-2008, 02:32 AM
I'm sure as a Packers fan in early 2006 you would have been there preaching patience when they were getting their ass beat and fans were in meltdown mode. Those guys looked pretty crappy then too.

That Packers team turned around and put 87 points up the next 4 games.
An average of better than 21 per contest. They amassed 300+ yards of total offense in each of the following 4 games.

That team was certainly no contender, but they were not losing football games the way this team is losing.

Mecca
09-16-2008, 02:58 AM

I'm telling you guys picked in 06 should be good today...part of the reason the Chiefs suck so bad is they aren't....

That's why the Packers don't have rookies starting the guys from the earlier classes are good.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2008, 03:09 AM
The Packers finished 8-8 that year. If you think we are even going to win 5 games, you're on the Amy Winehouse cocktail.

Mecca
09-16-2008, 03:20 AM
The Packers finished 8-8 that year. If you think we are even going to win 5 games, you're on the Amy Winehouse cocktail.

He's been saying 6 all along so...

kcxiv
09-16-2008, 03:41 AM
4 if we are lucky, but 2-3 is what i think.

BigRock
09-16-2008, 04:02 AM

It only makes the Chiefs look bad if one's ability for rational thought is limited to "DURRRRR BOTH TEAMS ARE YOUNG SO WE SHOULD BE AS GOOD AS THOSE GUYS".

This is the third season the Packers have been one of the youngest teams in the league, if not the youngest. We just got to that spot. In 3 years, barring somebody new taking over and loading us up with vet FAs again, we'll still be one of the youngest teams. Especially when fossils who are skewing our average like Huard and Donnie are gone.

The Packers play in a shitty conference and weren't trying to find a QB when they went young. So no, we're not going to rebound from 4-12 by going 8-8 like they did. But Zouk's point that things started out poorly for them, people freaked, and then things began to get better is fairly unarguable.

The idea that we too might improve as the season winds on is not completely impossible.

Zouk
09-16-2008, 08:05 AM
That team was certainly no contender, but they were not losing football games the way this team is losing.

They lost 26-0 at home on opening day. That is pretty much the way we lost on Sunday. And people have already forgot that we did play a very good New England team to the wire opening day when people not named "Tyler Thigpen" were QBing the team. No football team can win with Tyler Thigpen. He is an abomination.

OnTheWarpath15
09-16-2008, 08:54 AM
That Packers team turned around and put 87 points up the next 4 games.
An average of better than 21 per contest. They amassed 300+ yards of total offense in each of the following 4 games.

*sigh*

Two words:

Brett Favre.

Christ, you could have Kerry Collins here and we wouldn't be losing games the way we're losing them - much less a 1st ballot HOF QB.

rambleonthruthefog
09-16-2008, 09:48 AM
*sigh*

Two words:

Brett Favre.

Christ, you could have Kerry Collins here and we wouldn't be losing games the way we're losing them - much less a 1st ballot HOF QB.

this is true. hell, i'll take brodie croyle at this point.

Simply Red
09-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Rebuilding, get over it.