PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Questions surround Chiefs’ QB situation

Tribal Warfare
09-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Questions surround Chiefs’ QB situation (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/798716.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Oakland’s Thomas Howard put Chiefs quarterback Damon Huard down hard Sunday. Huard left in the first quarter because of what’s been described as a head or neck injury.

T yler Thigpen found out that Damon Huard had been injured when everyone else did: two quarters after it happened. The Chiefs’ next secret could be which of the two quarterbacks will start Sunday at Atlanta — and Thigpen doesn’t know the answer to that one, either.

Then again, he has been out of the loop on a few important bits of information recently.

Huard’s injury occurred in the first quarter of Sunday’s 23-8 loss to Oakland. Other than a few plays in which Marques Hagans lined up at quarterback, Thigpen — who had been told he would play some — played until the end.

That’s about the time a confused Thigpen walked up to Huard on the sideline and wondered why the veteran hadn’t returned.

“I asked him, ‘What’s going on?’ ” Thigpen said Monday. “He was like, ‘I ended up hurting my neck,’ or whatever it was.

“I don’t know what’s going on with Damon.”

Few do. Other than high-ranking Chiefs insiders and Huard himself, few at Arrowhead Stadium know the specifics of Huard’s mysterious injury. Even a day after the so-called head or neck injury, Huard wouldn’t discuss specifics and wouldn’t elaborate on who might start Sunday.

“We haven’t talked a whole lot about next week,” he said.

Coach Herm Edwards said the Chiefs hadn’t decided between Huard and Thigpen. They’ll decide that Wednesday, Edwards said. He wouldn’t say whether Huard would start if he’s healthy, or if Thigpen is the starter regardless.

“We’re going to look at it,” Edwards said.

Edwards did say the Chiefs are moving forward with Huard, Thigpen and Ingle Martin as their available quarterbacks. For now, Kansas City will not be looking at acquiring an additional passer to help the Chiefs until starter Brodie Croyle can return from a separated right shoulder.

“We’re standing pat for right now,” Edwards said.

Which means Sunday’s starter, barring a new twist to the Chiefs’ latest mystery, will be Thigpen or Huard. The men stood on opposite sides of Kansas City’s locker room Monday and said similar things: They have no idea who’ll start against the Falcons.

Thigpen said it could depend on Huard’s health, and Huard kept trying to explain what exactly was wrong with his health. This is about all the Chiefs can agree on: Huard was injured while being sacked in the first quarter Sunday.

The Chiefs said after the game that Huard suffered a head injury. Edwards said Huard was lifted because of dizzy spells. Huard then said his neck had been hurt.

Huard stuck with the neck injury story Monday, twisting his torso to address reporters and minimizing movement of his neck, but then suggested he might have suffered a concussion — which is a brain injury.

“There might have been a little bit of that,” Huard said. “I watched it today for the first time, and my head was yanked pretty good. There were a few symptoms.

“Certainly my neck is really stiff.”

Huard said he hadn’t been treated Monday for a concussion.

Thigpen, meanwhile, isn’t waiting for any more last-minute updates. He said he’s preparing this week as if he’ll be the starter. He reiterated Monday that he needs to “improve as a player,” which he said begins with seeing the field better and looking off defenders before making passes.

Thigpen completed 14 of 33 passes for 151 yards with one touchdown and an interception Sunday. He started three for 13, and many of his early passes were close to being intercepted. Thigpen said he knows that has to stop or the Chiefs won’t need this much time to decide who’s not their quarterback.

In the meantime, the rest of the Chiefs are just waiting to see how coaches end the most recent story line at Arrowhead.

“It’s up to us, whatever they call, we have to make it work,” center Rudy Niswanger said. “We just have to trust that the coaches know what they’re doing.”

keg in kc
09-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Just weird.

boogblaster
09-15-2008, 11:26 PM
**** WE NEED A LEADER ****

KevB
09-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Just weird.

This kind of a circus is the last thing a young, rebuilding team needs. These young guys need stability. Dealing with this crap can only hurt the team. We must have the two most brittle QBs ever assembled on a 2 deep.

09-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Stiff neck? BS.

Sure-Oz
09-15-2008, 11:31 PM
Huard is either a big ****ing liar or the biggest pussy ever....either way i expect Hagans to get the start along with BJ Sams to start at RB

Ultra Peanut
09-15-2008, 11:33 PM
Simplify the playbook further and sign a new journeyman to start each week. If we act quickly, one of the networks can pick it up as a reality show.

Sure-Oz
09-15-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm sure they asked Jonathan Quinn to come out of retirement

Ultra Peanut
09-15-2008, 11:37 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Yyat6pRxys&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Yyat6pRxys&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

TrickyNicky
09-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Rudy Niswanger said. “We just have to trust that the coaches know what they’re doing."

He doesn't sound very confident in that.

Nightfyre
09-15-2008, 11:57 PM
Could be that they don't want him to be successful. Think about it. They want the fans and players behind Brodie Croyle (hopefully just until the end of the year, assuming he continues to fail.) They don't want a QB controversy.

chiefs1111
09-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Maybe we can get Rich Gannon to come out of retirement

chiefs1111
09-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Or Steve Bono

BigRock
09-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Why is there even a question? Now and forever, there is zero reason to start Damon Huard.

tk13
09-16-2008, 12:38 AM
We should put Huard, Thigpen, and Hagans in the backfield together in a 2 RB shotgun formation. The possibilities are endless, run, pass, option, direct snap. Our offense would be unstoppable.

mrub4
09-16-2008, 12:40 AM
Simplify the playbook further and sign a new journeyman to start each week. If we act quickly, one of the networks can pick it up as a reality show.

I think you're on to somethin here... But what if before the game, and again during halftime, they put all the ticket stubs in a bucket, draw one out, and whoever gets picked gets to be QB for two quarters?

Buehler445
09-16-2008, 12:42 AM
Could be that they don't want him to be successful. Think about it. They want the fans and players behind Brodie Croyle (hopefully just until the end of the year, assuming he continues to fail.) They don't want a QB controversy.

Heh. That's retarded. So it is most likely true.

btlook1
09-16-2008, 02:02 AM
“We haven’t talked a whole lot about next week,” Huard said.

Why bother talking about next week you know your going to suck nuts again! I think I will start my wood cutting this year this Sunday it's to painful to watch anymore!

Mecca
09-16-2008, 02:09 AM
Rudy Niswanger said. “We just have to trust that the coaches know what they’re doing."

He doesn't sound very confident in that.

If anyone has faith in these coaches they should be put away in a home.

btlook1
09-16-2008, 02:15 AM
If anyone has faith in these coaches they should be put away in a home.

I did up until Sunday! I was more than willing to give Herm another year but now I'm thinking Why in the hell did I say that?

Mecca
09-16-2008, 02:17 AM
I did up until Sunday! I was more than willing to give Herm another year but now I'm thinking Why in the hell did I say that?

Everyone comes around sooner or later......

The Cowboys put up 41 tonight, we'll be lucky to have that after 4 games.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2008, 03:04 AM
Rudy is a really smart guy. I'm sure it didn't take him long to see through Herm's meathead-oriented bullshit.

This team could use a good old fashioned player revolt.

Fire Me Boy!
09-16-2008, 05:34 AM

No, boog. We need hip boots.

And would someone get Damon Huard a friggin' Emmy! :clap:

TN_Chief
09-16-2008, 05:41 AM
...Rudy Niswanger said. “We just have to trust that the coaches know what they’re doing.”Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 11 games in a row, shame on me.

Hey Rudy, let me help you out. The coaches don't know what they're doing. Nor does the front office. Good luck sucker.

TN_Chief
09-16-2008, 05:42 AM
This team could use a good old fashioned player revolt.Yo Hamas, don't mess with another man's fries.

InChiefsHeaven
09-16-2008, 05:46 AM
Well, there's always the Vinnie Testaverde option...

old_geezer
09-16-2008, 05:55 AM
We should put Huard, Thigpen, and Hagans in the backfield together in a 2 RB shotgun formation. The possibilities are endless, run, pass, option, direct snap. Our offense would be unstoppable.

You're getting close. We should put them in front of a wall and find several men with shotguns who know how to use them. End of QB rotation. :)