PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs This offense shouldn't be too hard to fix

RealSNR
09-16-2008, 11:56 AM
The only thing that really needs fixing is Herm. If these guys play together for long enough, they'll get used to the new feel.

Let me back up a bit.

Remember Gunther's 2nd year as head coach? The first year was all about stubbornly running the football 30,000 times per game with the "Dreamteam" backfield of Rashaan Sheehee, Mike Cloud, and Bam Morris. :Lin: Offensive production was absolutely pathetic for the most part in some games. Teams stacked 8 men in the box like they do now because they knew all we would do was run another damned draw play. However, this was also the year that we REALLY discovered what a gem we had in Tony Gonzalez. In Gun's 2nd year, this would only get better.

By the 2nd year, our backfield arguably got worse at the beginning of the season, and the great offensive genious that was Jimmy Raye still had us playing predictable football. It was that Rams game that really turned everything around for us. Then we played the Rams and a change happened. We stretched the field. Derrick Alexander turned into a big-play receiver. Kevin Lockett was an okay slot guy. Tony started the trend of big-play TEs in the league again. All because we started passing more. The running attack continued to die, but we were having A LOT of success throwing the ball and stretching defenses under a knucklehead Elvis Grbac.

Croyle has the arm and he's got the accuracy to lead this team. We need to start taking downfield shots. The only way we got back to running the ball was after we had success chucking it deep. And the only way we had success chucking it deep was if we made several attempts per game. It eventually worked.

We can do this. The problem obviously is Herm's unwillingness to leave the 15-yard zone in front of the offense. It's like if a big play develops outside of that zone, we've become finesse. That's not it at all. I wouldn't call the offense under Jimmy Raye and Gunther Cunningham finesse at all. It was still just as big, dumb, and ugly as ever. But it was EFFECTIVE, and if Gunther weren't so stupid and if the defense weren't already in decline, that would have been a good football team.

What do you think?

Demonpenz
09-16-2008, 11:57 AM
So far I think we have used cottam well atleast

Hoover
09-16-2008, 12:01 PM
We just need a real NFL QB and we will be OK.

Pass some on 1st down.

Spread the field and give the ball to LJ.

PLAY ACTION

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2008, 12:04 PM

Pass some on 1st down.

PLAY ACTION

And a young, legitimate right guard and right tackle.

Chief Faithful
09-16-2008, 12:08 PM
And a young, legitimate right guard and right tackle.

:clap:

JohnnyV13
09-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Gunther's Chiefs also had Grunhard, Szott,Shields and John Tait.

They did not have a disaster like Damion McIntosh at RT.

Pitt Gorilla
09-16-2008, 12:13 PM

Pass some on 1st down.

PLAY ACTIONI realize that this isn't a popular opinion, but I like Croyle as our QB. If we can develop a right side of the O-line to protect him, I think he'd be fine.

ChiefsCountry
09-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Watching the Cowboys last night, we have some of the pieces that they do in young talent.

Bowe - TO
Charles - Felix Jones
Cottam - Whitten (I know he isnt quite the pass catcher but few are)
Albert - Flozzel Adams

We need Croyle to morph into Romo or find Romo in the draft. I think his clone is Oklahoma's Sam Bradford. A Barber type would be nice as well. We are getting closer - Hermie's offense isnt going to cut it but talent wise we are getting there.

The Franchise
09-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Shit....we need a QB, LG, RG and RT. Waters is almost done and probably won't want to stick around if this rebuilding takes as long as it looks like it will.

ChiefsOne
09-16-2008, 12:32 PM

Pass some on 1st down.

PLAY ACTION

Croyle is not top notch, but he is or at least can be pretty decent. The problem is the line, either not enough talent or not gelled yet. The D is not near as good as I figured it would be at this point, thought it was on the up swing, but after yesterday who the hell knows.

Chief Faithful
09-16-2008, 12:33 PM
I realize that this isn't a popular opinion, but I like Croyle as our QB. If we can develop a right side of the O-line to protect him, I think he'd be fine.

I also like Croyle, but as long as you have Croyle you need a capable reliable backup. Hutard and Pigpen do not qualify.

Offseason Chiefs have to address RG, QB, DE & MLB. If they don't start playing Taylor or Richardson at RT this season then add RT to the list.

KC Dan
09-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Croyle is not top notch, but he is or at least can be pretty decent. The problem is the line, either not enough talent or not gelled yet. The D is not near as good as I figured it would be at this point, thought it was on the up swing, but after yesterday who the hell knows.
No, Croyle is done. He cannot stay healthy and is not a Pro QB. We can all keep hoping that he will stay healthy and develop but hope in one hand, _____ in the other. He just isn't it. We need another QB and trading LJ may be the way to make that happen. It ain't happening now...

picasso
09-16-2008, 12:45 PM
No, Croyle is done. He cannot stay healthy and is not a Pro QB. We can all keep hoping that he will stay healthy and develop but hope in one hand, _____ in the other. He just isn't it. We need another QB and trading LJ may be the way to make that happen. It ain't happening now...

Exactly!

Micjones
09-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Watching the Cowboys last night, we have some of the pieces that they do in young talent.

Bowe - TO
Charles - Felix Jones
Albert - Flozzel Adams

We need Croyle to morph into Romo or find Romo in the draft. I think his clone is Oklahoma's Sam Bradford. A Barber type would be nice as well. We are getting closer - Hermie's offense isnt going to cut it but talent wise we are getting there.

I'm a big fan of Bowe's, but he doesn't even begin to compare with TO.
Neither is Albert comparable to Adams.

We have some young talent, but without a Tony Romo...
We're in trouble.

ChiefsCountry
09-16-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm a big fan of Bowe's, but he doesn't even begin to compare with TO.
Neither is Albert comparable to Adams.

We have some young talent, but without a Tony Romo...
We're in trouble.

Your looking at them today, look at what they have the potential to be.

Micjones
09-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Your looking at them today, look at what they have the potential to be.

I believe in the forementioned players.
I do not believe in our QB situation.
We desperately need help there.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-16-2008, 12:55 PM
I think we're Lucky we have Colquitt!

I also think hog shit smells bad.

FAX
09-16-2008, 12:55 PM
I don't really disagree with any of this, Mr. SNR. Great post.

Actually, I am still waiting for someone to 'splain to me why, if we are, in fact, "rebuilding", wins and losses are so damn important that we have to install the option and the slash attack system.

It seems to me that, when a team "rebuilds", you acquire young guys then let them friggin' play to the very best of their ability (whatever that is). You do that so you can accurately assess their individual talents while allowing them to learn and grow both as players and as a team. That way, you'll know if you do, indeed, need a new QB or WR or TE or FB or DT or whatever at the end of the day. You'll know if your schemes are the best fit for the talent you have. You'll know how best to organize the preparation week to maximize results on the field. Plus, you're giving your young guys "quality" playing time ... time on the big stage to exhibit, challenge, and become accustomed to applying their true, existing skills in an highly competitive framework. Alternatively, if you hold them back, you'll still be guessing about what kind of horses you have in the stable come season's end.

We seem to be caught somewhere in the middle ... protecting the players from themselves, handcuffing the offense, dumbing down the playcalling, and introducing somewhat bizarre tactics in order to eke out cheap wins. After the residual pain from the first two games has somewhat subsided, it's becoming clear to me that, in reality, our actual, first priority is the scoreboard - not building for the future. I'm not saying that Herm wouldn't or doesn't want to see our young guys develop. I'm saying that, apparently, his primary, overriding objective isn't developing these guys for a legitimate run in a year or two or three - it's victories now. Bringing in the option doesn't make any sense, otherwise. It's the only rational justification at all for jumping clear off the bridge of logic and good sense into the murky deeps of Georgia Tech's playbook. From a learning or skill-development perspective, our guys aren't going to benefit from running the damn option. Could it be that, after all is said and done, Herm really is concerned about his job?

FAX

CoMoChief
09-16-2008, 12:56 PM

Bowe - TO
Charles - Felix Jones
Albert - Flozzel Adams

Adams got his ass kicked on many passing downs last night.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-16-2008, 12:57 PM
I realize that this isn't a popular opinion, but I like Croyle as our QB. If we can develop a right side of the O-line to protect him, I think he'd be fine.

You're exactly right. Thats not a popular opinion. Are you on crack ?

Pitt Gorilla
09-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Adams got his ass kicked on many passing downs last night.Adams was also pretty shaky as a rookie. Some thought it was a Trezelle-like selection, IIRC.

Sure-Oz
09-16-2008, 01:04 PM
If they actually let him throw across the field we can see what he can do. Use that arm, and spread taht defense out. worst case he throws a bunch of pics and find out he isnt our QB

HC_Chief
09-16-2008, 01:09 PM
This offense shouldn't be too hard to fix...

...all we need = a center, right guard, right tackle, quarterback, wide receiver, wide receiver, wide receiver, linebacker, linebacker, safety, cornerback, head coach, defensive coordinator, general manager, and position coaches. :thumb:

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-16-2008, 01:11 PM
...all we need = a center, right guard, right tackle, quarterback, wide receiver, wide receiver, wide receiver, linebacker, linebacker, safety, cornerback, head coach, defensive coordinator, general manager, and position coaches. :thumb:

Our cheerleaders need to be replaced tooo!

InChiefsHeaven
09-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Our cheerleaders need to be replaced tooo!

Oh, come on, they're getting better...they look pretty good from the stands now...

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Oh, come on, they're getting better...they look pretty good from the stands now...

Only if your in nose bleed.

OctoberFart
09-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Get 4 new OL men, a QB, another WR and a decent RB and bam it's fixed. The Key is a new coach would have to be installed to make it all work.

Calcountry
09-16-2008, 01:56 PM
There are a lot of NFL QB's that would be fine behind a pro bowl caliber Oline.

Chief Faithful
09-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Get 4 new OL men, a QB, another WR and a decent RB and bam it's fixed. The Key is a new coach would have to be installed to make it all work.

We are not talking about the Raiders right now.

OctoberFart
09-16-2008, 01:59 PM
We are not talking about the Raiders right now.

Raiders with as much turmoil and instability they have in the organization are a better off franchise than the queefs. I know you guys will pull out some stat for the past couple years but I'm talking right now and you can use whatever stats you want but a 23-8 beatdown in Camarohead says otherwise.

Otter
09-16-2008, 02:03 PM
The guidance systems on the Mars Phoenix Lander isn't too hard to fix either if you have the right engineers.

Guess what the Chiefs are missing?

Chief Faithful
09-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Raiders with as much turmoil and instability they have in the organization are a better off franchise than the KC Chiefs (the best team ever). I know you guys will pull out some stat for the past couple years but I'm talking right now and you can use whatever stats you want but a 23-8 beatdown in Arrowhead says otherwise.

Raiders are 4 years into rebuilding, still have questions all over the roster and turmoil throughout from ownership to lowest levels of coaching and you think it is better off as a franchise? The Chiefs are first year into rebuilding, played their worst game in almost two decades, were down to their third string QB, and they still had a chance to win that game down to the last two minutes. Even right now the Chiefs have more direction and fewer questions as a franchise.

wasi
09-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Raiders with as much turmoil and instability they have in the organization are a better off franchise than the KC Chiefs (the best team ever). I know you guys will pull out some stat for the past couple years but I'm talking right now and you can use whatever stats you want but a 23-8 beatdown in Arrowhead says otherwise.

In my opinion the Raiders should be much further ahead than the Chiefs at this point. With all the top 10 draft picks it speaks a lot about how crappy the Raiders are that they are still even considered in the bottom half of the league.

whoman69
09-16-2008, 03:28 PM
The problem with the offense is not just that we have the most conservative coach in the league running the team in his image, its that he let the talent level of the offense drop off the map as well. We will never really know how good Croyle is as long as he has no protection up front and only Bowe and Gonzales as target. Bowe is going through a bit of the sophomore jinx in main part because he is the only true threat this team has. I don't think there's a QB in this league that could shine with the assembled cast that we have.
I'm a believer that it all starts up front. The fact that we accepted cast offs and neverhasbeens to take over integral roles on our team brought about predictable results. I made the comment before the draft that this team was not moving to build an offensive line and got shot down for it. Looking at the results of our offseason moves, does any now doubt that we are not building an offensive line?

bringbackmarty
09-16-2008, 04:37 PM
The Raiders are slowly getting their shit together, the chiefs haven't finished falling apart quite yet. Once LJ, waters, Edwards, Surtain, and Gonzo all retire at the end of this season because they'd rather retire than come back, then we can really rebuild.

JuicesFlowing
09-16-2008, 04:55 PM
SBR, you are right, 100%. I'm okay with Croyle as our QB, but Herm's ridiculous philosophy has finally worn me down. I will be happy when he lets the OC actually call the plays. Herm is ruining LJ. I know everyone on Chiefs Planet hates LJ, but the reason LJ never gets the rock 20 times a game and gains 150 yards is because Herman Edwards puts this team in a hole, and we have to pass 40 times to catch up. Herm Edwards is rubbish.

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2008, 05:00 PM
SBR, you are right, 100%. I'm okay with Croyle as our QB, but Herm's ridiculous philosophy has finally worn me down. I will be happy when he lets the OC actually call the plays. Herm is ruining LJ. I know everyone on Chiefs Planet hates LJ, but the reason LJ never gets the rock 20 times a game and gains 150 yards is because Herman Edwards puts this team in a hole, and we have to pass 40 times to catch up. Herm Edwards is rubbish.

You're crazy.

The right side of the offensive line is ****ing pathetic.

Jones and McIntosh would not be on any other NFL squad.

That's the root of problem on offense.

Chief Faithful
09-16-2008, 05:27 PM

Herm is the same guy that almost killed LJ by running him 30+ times a game. As long as McIntoad and Jones make up the right side of the line LJ is going to have no chance.