PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Who would have been a worse hire than Herm?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Of the likely candidates. I can only think of two: Bobby Petrino and Scott Linehan.

They could have dredged up any other mother****er that year, and it probably couldn't have gotten any worse.

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Romeo Crennel
Eric Mangini
Brad Childress
Lane Kiffen
Norv Turner
Gregg Williams
Dom Capers
Cam Cameron
Dave Wandstat
Marvin Lewis
Mike Nolan

MahiMike
09-16-2008, 07:34 PM
George W.???

Deberg_1990
09-16-2008, 07:34 PM
I thought Norv Turner was ok now since he won some playoff games finally?

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2008, 07:41 PM
I thought Norv Turner was ok now since he won some playoff games finally?

Norv Turner in Kansas City would equal 0-16.

ChiefsCountry
09-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Any coach was set up to fail here.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Romeo Crennel
Eric Mangini
Brad Childress
Lane Kiffen
Norv Turner
Gregg Williams
Dom Capers
Cam Cameron
Dave Wandstat
Marvin Lewis
Mike Nolan

Kiffin wasn't on the scene at that point, so I don't think you an count him. Childress is a good argument
Crennel was already at Cleveland
Capers was already in Buffalo
Wannstedt was on his way out of the NFL and wasn't on anyone's radar
Lewis was in Cincy
Nolan was already in SF

Of that list, it would come down to Turner, Cameron, Williams and Childress.

BigChiefFan
09-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Dave Wandstadt?? Oh man, I can just see Carl drooling over him.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2008, 07:46 PM

Yes and No. The bill was coming due for Vermeil's horrible drafting, but I don't think that anyone can make an honest argument that Herm has been a particularly adept talent evaluator, nor have his X's and O's helped us win any games.

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Kiffin wasn't on the scene at that point, so I don't think you an count him. Childress is a good argument
Crennel was already at Cleveland
Capers was already in Buffalo
Wannstedt was on his way out of the NFL and wasn't on anyone's radar
Lewis was in Cincy
Nolan was already in SF

Of that list, it would come down to Turner, Cameron, Williams and Childress.

Mangini's not looking to hot either. He took Herm's 4-12 team that was devastated by injuries and added a top five LT and a healthy Pennington to 10-6 and a playoff loss.

One year later, he's 4-12. Injuries weren't a factor.

This year, after adding HOF'ers Alan Faneca & Brett Favre, he's 1-1.

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Yes and No. The bill was coming due for Vermeil's horrible drafting, but I don't think that anyone can make an honest argument that Herm has been a particularly adept talent evaluator, nor have his X's and O's helped us win any games.

I honestly think that since this team was so utterly decimated by a full decade of incompetent drafting, it's nearly impossible to judge Herm as a head coach in Kansas City.

He may fill this roster with amazing talent and continue to stink it up on Sundays.

Or maybe not.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2008, 07:50 PM
I honestly think that since this team was so utterly decimated by a full decade of incompetent drafting, it's nearly impossible to judge Herm as a head coach in Kansas City.

He may fill this roster with amazing talent and continue to stink it up on Sundays.

Or maybe not.

I think you can judge his head coaching ability by the way he manages games and his offensive philosophy: Scared and outdated.

ChiefsCountry
09-16-2008, 07:52 PM
I think you can judge his head coaching ability by the way he manages games and his offensive philosophy: Scared and outdated.

Would you try to run the greatest show on turf offense with Damon Huard, Tyler Thigpen with McIntosh or Turley or Jordan Black on the line? Herm would like even bigger idiot than he is now.

keg in kc
09-16-2008, 07:53 PM

Or maybe not.I agree with that 1000%.

Herm may be as bad as everybody says, but, for me at least, it's hard to tell one way or the other with the roster the team's had. You can only do so much so quickly, and while I think he did start the process in 2007, I don't think he had full support to blow shit up until '08. One full rebuild offseason and two games, that's all the time he's had to turn over the roster and develop, what, a third of the players on it.

Not enough time to make a judgment. Not for me.

Deberg_1990
09-16-2008, 07:54 PM

Are u really Mitch Holtus?

Programmer
09-16-2008, 07:55 PM
There could have been no worse choice. I think that's been established, at least in my opinion. Hermcuff is living in the past.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Would you try to run the greatest show on turf offense with Damon Huard, Tyler Thigpen with McIntosh or Turley or Jordan Black on the line? Herm would like even bigger idiot than he is now.

There is a difference between Air Coryell and a stupid refusal to even run a goddamned stretch play, or to throw a post pattern.

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2008, 07:56 PM

I'm not picking on you but I've asked this question repeatedly and no one's answered:

How do you expect the Chiefs to have a competent passing game when the right side of the offensive line is complete and utter shit, your QB's belong in the World League and there's only one wide receiver on the roster that's even close to reliable (and even he dropped four passes in the opener)?

MahiMike
09-16-2008, 07:57 PM

WTF? Try telling that to DV. Unbelievable.

ChiefsCountry
09-16-2008, 07:59 PM

Your boy DV left this team in shambles. It didnt matter if Herm, Bill Belicheck, Vince Lombardi, or Bill Walsh coached this team.

OnTheWarpath15
09-16-2008, 08:00 PM

Not this shit again....

Christ, Vermeil only managed TWO winning seasons here, and he actually had some talent.

If Vermeil was still here, not only would we be in this position, we'd still be playing old, overpaid vets to win 4 games a year with no thought toward the future.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2008, 08:02 PM
I'm not picking on you but I've asked this question repeatedly and no one's answered:

How do you expect the Chiefs to have a competent passing game when the right side of the offensive line is complete and utter shit, your QB's belong in the World League and there's only one wide receiver on the roster that's even close to reliable (and even he dropped four passes in the opener)?

Well, that's a moving target. They aren't going to have the Colts' passing game. However, they can have a much better one than they do now.

If the right side of your line sucks that much, run some slip screens to the right side and use Charles in space. Roll out your quarterback to the left. Use Sprint Right Option.

Run stretch plays that thin the defense out on either side.

Flood the left side of your formation, use an unbalanced line. Keep a guy in to chip on Mac's DE, then have him release as a safety valve.

Go 4 Wide and run out of the spread formation.

There are lots of options that the Chiefs have, but few they are even willing to employ.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2008, 08:07 PM
At this point, I'm about half expecting our coaching staff to run the Veer this week :banghead:

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Are u really Mitch Holtus?

I don't know what you're implying

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2008, 08:17 PM
I don't know what you're implying

I believe he's saying you'll defend Herm @ any cost.

tk13
09-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Greg Robinson!

jjchieffan
09-16-2008, 08:26 PM
I am glad we hired Edwards. Why you ask? The last 2 drafts have set this team up for the long term whether Herm makes it or not. If Herm doesn't survive this season and someone else comes in that can put this team on top again, then the Herm years would be a resounding success. I personally could deal with another year like this if it means another great draft next year to fill more of the remaining holes.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2008, 08:28 PM
I am glad we hired Edwards. Why you ask? The last 2 drafts have set this team up for the long term whether Herm makes it or not. If Herm doesn't survive this season and someone else comes in that can put this team on top again, then the Herm years would be a resounding success. I personally could deal with another year like this if it means another great draft next year to fill more of the remaining holes.

Unfortunately, we have no one of worth to move for draft picks this year.

Fish
09-16-2008, 08:32 PM
I agree with that 1000%.

Herm may be as bad as everybody says, but, for me at least, it's hard to tell one way or the other with the roster the team's had. You can only do so much so quickly, and while I think he did start the process in 2007, I don't think he had full support to blow shit up until '08. One full rebuild offseason and two games, that's all the time he's had to turn over the roster and develop, what, a third of the players on it.

This is where I'm at as well... good post.

Fish
09-16-2008, 08:33 PM
At this point, I'm about half expecting our coaching staff to run the Veer this week :banghead:

How can you half expect something? :D

Programmer
09-16-2008, 08:37 PM
I agree with that 1000%.

I have to disagree based on a single point. If you are making progress you have to show something that proves that you are progressing. To date we have not seen anything.

You don't make changes and move forward without some kind of showing.

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Well, that's a moving target. They aren't going to have the Colts' passing game. However, they can have a much better one than they do now.

If the right side of your line sucks that much, run some slip screens to the right side and use Charles in space. Roll out your quarterback to the left. Use Sprint Right Option.

The Chiefs did bootleg with Croyle and Thigpen. It didn't help that Bowe dropped passes or that Tyler's inexperienced. But I do think Tyler will be better this week. Enough to win? Hard to say.

Run stretch plays that thin the defense out on either side.

That usually requires pulling and downfield blocking, but of which Jones & McInsuck are incapable of providing and Albert's only in his second game. He's got his hands full.

Flood the left side of your formation, use an unbalanced line. Keep a guy in to chip on Mac's DE, then have him release as a safety valve.

Where is Cottam? He should be helping along the O-line, so this I can fully get behind.

Go 4 Wide and run out of the spread formation.

I don't think the Chiefs have had more than three healthy receivers the first two weeks and quite frankly, I think McInSuck would get the QB killed in this formation.

There are lots of options that the Chiefs have, but few they are even willing to employ.

I agree and I think that's why Chan Gailey was hired. But unfortunately, Gailey's always like this "Slash" nonsense which really only worked with "Slash". I can fully understand that they're trying to figure out the strengths and many weaknesses of the offensive personnel but that's going too far IMO.