PDA

View Full Version : Life letting go

Friendo
09-17-2008, 09:39 PM
this one's hard to admit, but I have reached a point where I have to face the reality that I am guilty of being more or less "one of those" dads. I have coached my son in soccer since he was 6. he's now twelve, and we are at the point where they either fade or step it up. I have tried to take the middle road with him (and team) and achieve development, but have fun too. have tried in the past to "pawn him off" as I realize he's been spoiled playing for me, but he was having none of it. I enjoy coaching, but I admit I probably wouldn't do it/have done it, were it not for him. have enjoyed sharing that time with him, but I have to admit to some anger and disappointment at his decision not to be even reasonably dedicated to giving himself a chance at HS ball. It's a stark realization that I have "propped up" his interest for some time. I will add that he's my youngest, and typically a bit soft & spoiled. just needed to vent..I KNOW I shouldn't be depressed, but it somehow it feels like chopping off my hand. :deevee:

anyone been on either side of this equation? abuser, or abusee?

cdcox
09-17-2008, 09:41 PM
in before this thread turns against soccor.

Bugeater
09-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Huh?

luv
09-17-2008, 09:45 PM
I'm gonna venture a guess and say he decided not to continue playing soccer?

milkman
09-17-2008, 09:49 PM
in before this thread turns against soccor.

Soccor sucks.

The first to turn it against soccor.

Bugeater
09-17-2008, 09:50 PM
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.

Rausch
this one's hard to admit, but I have reached a point where I have to face the reality that I am guilty of being more or less "one of those" dads. I have coached my son in soccer since he was 6. he's now twelve, and we are at the point where they either fade or step it up. I have tried to take the middle road with him (and team) and achieve development, but have fun too. have tried in the past to "pawn him off" as I realize he's been spoiled playing for me, but he was having none of it. I enjoy coaching, but I admit I probably wouldn't do it/have done it, were it not for him. have enjoyed sharing that time with him, but I have to admit to some anger and disappointment at his decision not to be even reasonably dedicated to giving himself a chance at HS ball. It's a stark realization that I have "propped up" his interest for some time. I will add that he's my youngest, and typically a bit soft & spoiled. just needed to vent..I KNOW I shouldn't be depressed, but it somehow it feels like chopping off my hand. :deevee:

anyone been on either side of this equation? abuser, or abusee?

Perhaps... (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4723791897980392776)

Friendo
I'm gonna venture a guess and say he decided not to continue playing soccer?

kind of--he still wants to play MS this fall, but he's turned down the opportunity to train with a higher Club team--basically making the decision to slide out.

cdcox
Soccor sucks.

The first to turn it against soccor.

Dude, don't you even know how to spell "soccer"?

stumppy
09-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Never made any mistakes raising my kids.

Did'nt you bother to check the manual thats issued with each one ? ;)

DeezNutz
09-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Don't sweat it, man. Hope the experience instilled some positive values and provided some good memories.

As long as he stays involved in something productive in high school, give the necessary support and encouragement, even if you think the activity sucks.

You'll do the right thing.

Mr Luzcious
09-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Dude, don't you even know how to spell "soccer"?

I was sure he meant "succor." :hmmm:

Rausch
09-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Never made any mistakes raising my kids.

Timeout...

StcChief
09-17-2008, 10:18 PM
be glad the suckor is over.... he learned some team building and other skills now get him in a real sport.

Friendo
09-17-2008, 10:24 PM
be glad the suckor is over.... he learned some team building and other skills now get him in a real sport.

heh--I played cornerback, point guard, and left wing in soccer, and soccer's still my fav. at this point, if he wanted to play in HS, soccer would be his best shot--just disappointed he's come this far, and chooses to more or less bag it.

Deberg_1990
09-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Theres always water polo

Taco John
09-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Take comfort in knowing that your kid is doing the right thing. Soccor is only going to get him laughed at by the cool kids.

luv
09-17-2008, 10:52 PM
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.

That was a tag line next to my login on my MSN Messenger at work for last week.

This week...

Can I go home? It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

kcxiv
09-17-2008, 10:54 PM
My nephew is 10 years old and he's hell of dedicated to playing football. He's pretty good too, He plays DE and Tailback.

During football season, dude will not eat fast foods, cookies, cakes or anything. He has practice 2 hours a day 5 days a week. After practice he goes to the school around where i live and runs a mile and a half 6 times around the track. He's only 10 years old. I am buying his ass a Xbox for Xmas this year. I Never seen a kid so dedicated to being in shape at that age.

Rain Man
09-18-2008, 05:00 PM
The bummer is that if he was really, really good and spent years honing his skills, he could have possibly turned pro and earned more than $18,000 per year.