PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs With blackouts looming

Wile_E_Coyote
09-19-2008, 10:39 AM
I reckon Sunday Ticket can't cover those games, kinda of defeats the purpose. How will you catch the game?

In person
radio
internet
Chiefsplanet game thread
Chiefsplanet chat
Sports center scroll
newspapet
won't bother to depressing

Will Chiefsplanet be overloaded even with the upgrades?

Bugeater
09-19-2008, 10:40 AM
ST can still broadcast the games outside of the home market.

TrickyNicky
09-19-2008, 10:41 AM
Probably the ESPN gamecast. It updates pretty fast and is easy to jump around.

HC_Chief
Radio & internet

TrickyNicky
So, if you live in KC and have ST, you still can't watch the game?

Skip Towne
09-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Move to Oklahoma

Skip Towne
09-19-2008, 10:42 AM

Correct

btlook1
09-19-2008, 10:43 AM
How far out do the blackouts go? We usually watch on channel 7 I think out of Joplin. I assume we will still get the game?

Wile_E_Coyote
09-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Blackout rules are suppose to apply to Sunday Ticket

TrickyNicky
09-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Wow. What a joke.

Bugeater
09-19-2008, 10:51 AM
How far out do the blackouts go? We usually watch on channel 7 I think out of Joplin. I assume we will still get the game?

IIRC 75 miles. You should be fine down there.

Blackout rules are suppose to apply to Sunday Ticket

They do, but ONLY IN THE HOME MARKET. Subscribers outside of the home market WILL STILL GET THE GAME.

Don't make break out the size 7 font on you. :shake:

btlook1
09-19-2008, 10:53 AM
[QUOTE=Bugeater;5034581]IIRC 75 miles. You should be fine down there.

I thought so but wasn't sure, although if we don't look any better than last week I'm going to find something else to do on Sundays!

Skip Towne
09-19-2008, 10:54 AM

They do, but ONLY IN THE HOME MARKET. Subscribers outside of the home market WILL STILL GET THE GAME.

We're far enough away but they didn't show the last 6 games last year anyway. Couldn't sell the advertising I guess.

Wile_E_Coyote
09-19-2008, 10:54 AM

It is prolly cheaper to go to the games than Sunday Ticket & you still could be close to the 50

Bugeater
09-19-2008, 10:55 AM
I thought so but wasn't sure, although if we don't look any better than last week I'm going to find something else to do on Sundays!
Heh, one could make the argument that the blackouts are a blessing.

DaFace
09-19-2008, 11:01 AM
This thread is discriminatory against those of us out of market. :harumph:

The blackouts won't affect me. Then again, I only get about half of the games out here anyway.

Bugeater
09-19-2008, 11:01 AM
We're far enough away but they didn't show the last 6 games last year anyway. Couldn't sell the advertising I guess.
We seem to be pretty locked in on getting them, although they did stop showing them towards the end of the Gunther Era. It'll be interesting to see if they bail this season, I'm sure the local non-Chiefs fans are going to get sick of seeing this garbage and start complaining.

StcChief
09-19-2008, 11:02 AM
they'll just show the Jets here. because Farvre is still the man.

Wile_E_Coyote
09-19-2008, 11:02 AM
This thread is discriminatory against those of us out of market. :harumph:

The blackouts won't affect me. Then again, I only get about half of the games out here anyway.

It may affect the server, with overload

CoMoChief
09-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Whats that free live stream NFL games link someone posted back about 2 weeks ago?

Nzoner
09-19-2008, 11:29 AM
I voted other as I'll still be watching all the NFL that I can and will keep up with the game on the CBS updates.

CoMoChief
09-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Wonder if the game will be blacked out in Columbia, MO?

I know that many Rams games were blacked out last season.

Simply Red
09-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Radio & internet

DaFace
09-19-2008, 11:41 AM
It may affect the server, with overload

Na, this thing's rock solid. We haven't even come close to overloading, even during the Pats game when both ChiefsPlanet and PatsPlanet were rockin. The worst we've seen is a slight (maybe 5 second) delay in page loading here and there.

Donger
09-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Looking at the maps, it appears that people in Denver get to watch the Bengals vs Giants.

That's nice.

The Franchise
09-19-2008, 12:24 PM
In Cali...they are all on Sunday Ticket.

I'm still trying to figure out if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Iowanian
09-19-2008, 12:47 PM
I'll probably buy more chairs, and sell front row seating to view the games outside of the market....on sunday ticket.

El Pendejo
09-19-2008, 12:48 PM

I thought the number was 75 miles from the stadium too, but when I looked it up I found this on the directv site.

Each stadium's local blackout area is defined by the broadcast signal of the local affiliate carrying the game, not by the mileage surrounding the stadium.

The NFL requests broadcasters to black out games for a number of reasons:

* To make sure your local team benefits from a stadium full of enthusiastic fans.
* To protect home game attendance of the teams.
* To assure the entertainment value of a full stadium — for people in the stands and for people watching TV.
* To protect local television coverage.

So I guess it could be 75 miles or 1 million miles...depending on the affiliate's signal strength.

Nzoner
09-19-2008, 12:49 PM
I'll probably buy more chairs, and sell front row seating to view the games outside of the market....on sunday ticket.

Sorry dude I really like you and all but no way in hell am I driving to Iowania and paying for a seat to watch KC when I can stay here and watch some quality football :)

Iowanian
09-19-2008, 12:53 PM
I guess I failed to mention the halftime show.....

Kerberos
09-19-2008, 01:37 PM

I was under the impression that if there is a broadcast of the game somehow then if you own ST all you have to do is call the customer support and tell them you are traveling and camped just outside of Skips house and they will let the signal go to your box IIRC.

WALLA .... You are watching the Chiefs get torched by Da'Falcons.

As long as you are far enough out of the Blackout area and there is a broadcast you should get it I always thought that anyway?

:shrug:

Skip Towne
09-19-2008, 01:50 PM
I was under the impression that if there is a broadcast of the game somehow then if you own ST all you have to do is call the customer support and tell them you are traveling and camped just outside of Skips house and they will let the signal go to your box IIRC.

WALLA .... You are watching the Chiefs get torched by Da'Falcons.

As long as you are far enough out of the Blackout area and there is a broadcast you should get it I always thought that anyway?

:shrug:

If you have a friend or relative outside the blackout area just activate another D* receiver at their house and take it to your house. Since the KC locals are on a "spot beam" this only works for a couple of hundred miles. I'm not sure how the "camping outside of Skip's house" would work.