PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Hagans is Chiefs’ surprise package

Tribal Warfare
09-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Hagans is Chiefs’ surprise package (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/805364.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Even back then, Marques Hagans’ most effective weapon was the element of surprise.

Opponents knew he was coming, but he never was the man he had replaced, and that gave other teams some relief. It happened in high school and then in college.

At Virginia’s Hampton High, it was Ronald Curry who departed and left the starting quarterback job to Hagans. At the University of Virginia, it was Matt Schaub. Curry and Schaub were stars and would become starters for NFL teams.

Then, Hagans went to work. He led Hampton to a state championship and, playing three positions at Virginia, helped the Cavaliers reach bowl games in his final three seasons. Curry and Schaub never did all that.

“When the opportunity presents itself . . .” Hagans said this week, smiling as his words trailed off.

The Chiefs signed Hagans as a wide receiver, but that surprise factor was the real reason Kansas City wanted him. He was St. Louis’ emergency quarterback before the Rams waived him last month, and the Chiefs plucked him and stuck Hagans on their practice squad.

Then, last week, a player with an unfamiliar face began lining up at quarterback during practices. It was a 5-foot-9, too-quick-to-blink player from Virginia — listed as a receiver. He was running the option, dusting off the old tricks he’d used so well in high school and college.

It was a secret. Cameras weren’t allowed to film Hagans during practice. Chiefs coach Herm Edwards looked reporters in the eye last week and said the receiving corps was thin, and Hagans was the latest plug.

Then, sure enough, Hagans lined up at quarterback during the Chiefs’ first series last week. And sure enough, it was the option, a play just the way he had practiced hundreds of times — only this time, receiver Dwayne Bowe was whistled for a penalty and spoiled the secret Kansas City had been sitting on for a week.

“It wasn’t as clean as we like it,” Edwards said. “But it’s all about making first downs and moving the chains and giving the defense a different look, and now they’ve got to worry about this formation; they’ve got to worry about this personnel group.”

But what now? If Hagans is all about surprise, what happens now that the secret is out?

“I guess everybody knows now,” Hagans said this week.

The Chiefs tried to confuse Oakland last week, subbing in Hagans five times in Kansas City’s 23-8 loss. But the Chiefs used Hagans only at quarterback, never permitting the “receiver” to play receiver.

Edwards said Hagans’ appearance wasn’t the end for Hagans. It was designed to catch Oakland off its guard and invigorate an offense desperate for playmakers. With Kansas City’s offense still sputtering, the Chiefs will use any advantage they can get.

Besides, Edwards likes that opponents won’t know when Hagans will check into the lineup.

The Chiefs kept Hagans around for at least another week, and Hagans, a third-year player, spent part of his days trying to explain what his role would be now that, for maybe the first time ever, teams see him coming.

“I don’t write the game plan,” he said. “I just play. I show up every day to come to work, whatever the game plan is, whether I’m in it or whether I’m out of it.

“You just line up and go with it. You know, I think that helps out a lot. When my number is called, I’ve just got to go out there and make plays.”

Hagans said he’d be content with playing receiver or working on special teams. There’s always been something about quarterback, though, that’s intrigued him. No, he won’t mind if that’s where coaches play him, even if it’s no more than once a game.

After all, that would preserve some of the surprise.

“You know, your heart does pound real fast,” Hagans said. “You’re always thinking, ‘Am I in? Am I in? Am I in?’ Then you finally get the nod, like, ‘Yeah, you’re in.’ You’ve got to be ready.”

And if the Chiefs have their way, their opponents have to stay ready, too.

Tribal Warfare
09-19-2008, 10:13 PM
The *****IN comedy doesn't stop!!!!!!!

L.A. Chieffan
09-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Herms such a sneaker.

Frazod
09-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Surprise! We're running the option!

:banghead:

Mecca
09-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Did Mitch Holthus write this?

Ebolapox
09-19-2008, 10:16 PM
heh. god, I never thought we'd turn into the punchline that we are today.

Frazod
09-19-2008, 10:24 PM

I assume he was polishing Carl's knob while Carl was dictating it to whoever this Babb guy is.

FAX
09-19-2008, 10:27 PM

Captain Kangaroo wrote this.

FAX

Deberg_1990
09-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Edwards said Hagans’ appearance wasn’t the end for Hagans. It was designed to catch Oakland off its guard and invigorate an offense desperate for playmakers. With Kansas City’s offense still sputtering, the Chiefs will use any advantage they can get.

WTF??

Yea, he really caught Oakland off guard alright.....

No wonder the vets are pissed. They take away snaps from proven guys like Bowe, LJ, and TG for this nobody????

Mecca
09-19-2008, 10:31 PM
There's a reason teams in the NFL don't run the option....

FAX
09-19-2008, 10:32 PM
I missed that ...

Desperate for playmakers?

... wow.

FAX

Mecca
09-19-2008, 10:35 PM
If he had said desperate for blocking or a QB that would be one thing but um, there are alot of teams that guys like Bowe and Gonzalez would play on, good teams.

Deberg_1990
09-19-2008, 10:38 PM
If he had said desperate for blocking or a QB that would be one thing but um, there are alot of teams that guys like Bowe and Gonzalez would play on, good teams.

Yep....WTF are these guys thinking?

Mecca
09-19-2008, 10:39 PM
I figured out what this means.....the Chiefs are gonna draft Pat White.

the Talking Can
09-19-2008, 10:49 PM
this franchise has jumped the shark

Herm is a god damn embarrassment to the profession....he doesn't have the first ****ing clue what to do....

any franchise with even an ounce of pride would fire all these clowns, including Carl....but we aren't that franchise...

Mecca
09-19-2008, 10:49 PM

Herm is a god damn embarrassment to the profession....he doesn't have the first ****ing clue what to do....

any franchise with even an ounce of pride would fire all these clowns, including Carl....but we aren't that franchise...

So what happens when they use their high pick on Pat White?

Ebolapox
09-19-2008, 10:50 PM

pride cometh before the fall. well, we fell a LONG time ago. so why the ***** would we still have any pride?

the Talking Can
09-19-2008, 10:51 PM

there's a reason teams don't bring in 10th string "QBs" to run obvious running plays....Herm is so ****ing stupid that it defies description....

Herm is ****ing retarded.

Mecca
09-19-2008, 10:53 PM
I could seriously picture Herm going.......now we drafted Pat White to run our slash package, you see he isn't just a QB, he's a WR, a RB a returner the man can do it all and opens up our offensive playbook!

teedubya
09-19-2008, 10:56 PM
there's a reason teams don't bring in 10th string "QBs" to run obvious running plays....Herm is so ****ing stupid that it defies description....

Herm is ****ing retarded.

could you please put Herms head in your toilet avatar, please?

Ebolapox
09-19-2008, 10:56 PM
I could seriously picture Herm going.......now we drafted Pat White to run our slash package, you see he isn't just a QB, he's a WR, a RB a returner the man can do it all and opens up our offensive playbook!

yep, he's our next second rounder

:sulk:

the Talking Can
09-19-2008, 11:05 PM
could you please put Herms head in your toilet avatar, please?

yeah, i need to change it up....

jjchieffan
09-19-2008, 11:12 PM
I can't say that I'm surprised by this move. After all , Chan did the same thing in Pittsburgh with Stewart. Heck, I'm shocked that Carl didn't trade with the Jets to get Brad Smith for this position.

cdcox
09-19-2008, 11:18 PM
In the '80s we had to install trick plays to score touchdowns. Now we rely on them to get first downs.

Ebolapox
09-19-2008, 11:19 PM
In the '80s we had to install trick plays to score touchdowns. Now we rely on them to get first downs.

ain't progress a bidge?

Lonewolf Ed
09-19-2008, 11:26 PM

Not in the second quarter, we don't... and well into the third. That is the part of the game we call Colquitt Time!

Ebolapox
09-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Not in the second quarter, we don't... and well into the third. That is the part of the game we call Colquitt Time!

IT'S COLQUITT TIME, WENCH!

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Holy Jesus...

What is that?

WHAT THE **** IS THAT??

WHAT IS THAT COACH EDWARDS??!!

"Sir, the option, sir"

Is the option run in the NFL, Coach Edwards?

"Sir, no sir"

Does anyone have the personnel to run the option, Coach Edwards?

"Sir, no sir"

And why not?

"Sir, because we aren't fast enough sir"

Because the NFL is full of disgusting FATBODIES, coach Edwards, who can run 4.5 40's.

Coach Edwards has dishonored himself, and dishonored the team.

I have tried to help him, but I have failed. I have failed because you have not helped me. You people have not given Coach Edwards the proper motivation. So, from now on, whenever Herm ****s up, I will not punish him, I will punish all of YOU...and the way I see it ladies, you owe me for making me watch the mother****ing option in the NFL.

Now get on your faces...

DeezNutz
09-19-2008, 11:44 PM
One would hope that the only reason this kind of stuff is even being discussed is in the desperate hope that it's making Atl needlessly prepare for something.

Even this idea is utterly stupid.

Atl. defensive meeting:
"Guys, we need to be aware that the Chiefs might run the option with #10."
(Laughter)
"Ok, that's all the time we need to spend on that..."

chiefs1111
09-19-2008, 11:50 PM

Well apparently Herm and Chan don't know the reason

The Bad Guy
09-19-2008, 11:50 PM
This is such an embarrasing joke.

I'm really ashamed that I like this team.

chiefs1111
09-19-2008, 11:55 PM
It's not that I don't even mind using Hagans,but not like this. If we are going to use him for trick plays,why not end a rounds or maybe reverses. The option though??? Seriously how dumb can they be?

InChiefsHeaven
09-20-2008, 12:06 AM
You know what? I bet Herm would be amazed and dumbfounded if a team ran the option against us...except it would probably be successful...

You know, you have to give credit to their offense...they came at us with a lot of different looks, and that option play, well, we just didn't see that one coming. It was a great call, so hat's off to them. At the end of the day, last time I checked, the smarter team wins the game. Today they out smarted us, they did a good job.../Herm

...I hate this...

Stryker
09-20-2008, 12:57 AM
And if the Chiefs have their way, their opponents have to stay ready, too.

Yeah, the opponents are ready alright - for an easy victory!

God why am I a Chiefs fan? :cuss:

Ebolapox
09-20-2008, 12:59 AM
horrible HORRIBLE thought...........

don't say I didn't warn you.......

am I the only one that gets a slight chuckle out of the connotation of 'surprise package' and 'tranny?'

TinyEvel
09-20-2008, 01:15 AM
Was this written in HIGHLIGHTS magazine?

WTF???!!!

FRIGGEN DAMMIT WE ARE A JOKE!!!!

I CANNOT EXPLAIN HOW MUCH OF A LAUGHING STOCK I THINK WE ARE, ESPECIALLY AFTER THIS!!
'LOOK AT MY FRIGGEN AVATAR...SAYS IT ALL!!

I HATE CARL AND HERM AND EVERYONE FAKING GUIDANCE ON THIS TEAM!!!

Tribal Warfare
09-20-2008, 02:17 AM
God why am I a Chiefs fan? :cuss:
We're damned by every single spiritual deity for not celebrating their sabbath, which is rooting for the Dallas Cowboys per ESPN.

Smed1065
09-20-2008, 04:03 AM

They have QB's?

chagrin
09-20-2008, 05:39 AM
LMAO another secret weapon

jspchief
09-20-2008, 05:45 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with this type of gimmicky crap if it was mixed into an otherwise capable offense. But when it's being used because we can't execute our normal plays, it reeks of sad desperation. Embarrassing.

kstater
09-20-2008, 05:59 AM
It's not a ****ing surprise when, if Hagans comes in, you run the ****ing option. Shit, after his first play, I knew they would run the option the other 4 times he came in.

rocks
09-20-2008, 06:23 AM
I wasnt suprised, I was ****ing shocked! I said, was that the option?? in disgust.

Chief Henry
09-20-2008, 06:30 AM

REP

Truer words have never been spoken...Hunt Jr. needs to grow a pair
and take this franchise in new direction w/o Carl and Herm.

Deberg_1990
09-20-2008, 07:05 AM
They should try running the option with Huard. Now that would be a surprise!!

JuicesFlowing
09-20-2008, 08:04 AM
St. Louis didn't think he had talent? WOW. Now that's all I need to know. I stopped reading the article after that. Gotta love Herm's "evaluation of talent" ...

Pasta Little Brioni
09-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Surprise!!!! We have just put a guy in at QB who can't throw, but it will fool the defense for sure!!!! What is he going to do??? This unstopable option running machine. Wow, this is sad.

Buehler445
09-20-2008, 09:39 AM

Goddamn it. My boss knows I am a huge Chiefs fan. He doesn't give two shits about football but occasionally checks the box score of the Cardinals. So anyway, this guy who doesn't know shit about football asks me, "How'd the Chiefs do last weekend?"

To this, I had to respond, "Terrible. They ran the option."

He says, "I don't think that has ever worked in the NFL."

And this guy doesn't even watch football, much less care about it. Unfortunately he is smarter than our head coach.

beach tribe
09-20-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm so disgusted with this team............*sigh*

The biggest joke in the NFL.

chiefsngop
09-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Yep, it probably does surprise everyone when a supposed NFL team lines up and runs a strictly highschool and college only play.

And they'll definetly never see it coming when an "option only" quarterback comes running onto the field.

I'm sure telegraphing an option play to the opposing defense pre snap and then running said telegraphed play will prove much more effective than using unpredictable playcalling or playcalling that actually takes pressure OFF of our inexperienced overmatched O-line like we saw PS vs. Chicago.

I can hear Herm now;

"Chan, I know you liked that hocus pocus arena ball gamplan you used against Chicago, but I wanna try bringing in a QB that the defense knows can only run one play. But then to surprise them we'll go ahead and run that play they're expecting. I mean as long as our kick returner gets us into field goal range, the option will move the ball laterally 3 times and then Novak can hopefully get us 3 points."

"Chan, hey Chan, what are you doing with that gun buddy ?, take it easy Chan, Chan take it easy man easy ......."

milkman
09-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Goddamn it. My boss knows I am a huge Chiefs fan. He doesn't give two shits about football but occasionally checks the box score of the Cardinals. So anyway, this guy who doesn't know shit about football asks me, "How'd the Chiefs do last weekend?"

To this, I had to respond, "Terrible. They ran the option."

He says, "I don't think that has ever worked in the NFL."

And this guy doesn't even watch football, much less care about it. Unfortunately he is smarter than our head coach.

Toadstools are smarter than our head coach.

el borracho
09-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Hagans and Edwards share a moment before the game:

“You know, your heart does pound real fast,” Hagans said. “You’re always thinking, ‘Am I in? Am I in? Am I in?’ Then you finally get the nod, like, ‘Yeah, you’re in.’ You’ve got to be ready.”

Mr. Laz
09-20-2008, 11:24 AM
i think i've said this in another thread...

the problem with having a surprise package is that you have to have a successful regular package FIRST.

what in F*** kind of threat is the option when all the defenses are already crashing the line-of-scrimmage against us anyway?

how successful will the option be when we can't even block a regular running play?

stupidity

wazu
09-20-2008, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with this type of gimmicky crap if it was mixed into an otherwise capable offense. But when it's being used because we can't execute our normal plays, it reeks of sad desperation. Embarrassing.

Exactly.

I also think that if they want to take chances and get goofy, fake punts and surprise on-side kicks probably have a much better chance of success and of helping the Chiefs get some momentum.

T-post Tom
09-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Just keep doubting Herm. Wait till you see the next big surprise:

Rausch
09-20-2008, 12:42 PM
They should try running the option with Huard. Now that would be a surprise!!

Bono-bootleg!

75 yrd TOUCHDOWN!1!ROFL